PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Stormblade (Baseclass)(PEACH)

cooperflood
2009-10-23, 12:42 PM
Stormblade

Stormblades are swashbuckling heroes of the high seas. Their innate connection with the elemental forces of nature makes them a force to be reckoned with. They are capable duelists, masters of sailing, and can call lightning from the skies.

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, Nature) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at each Level: 4 + Intelligence Modifier

Stormblade
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Spellcasting, Cantrips, Weapon Finesse|2

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Lure of the Sea|3|-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Elemental Blade Skills (Shocking Strike)|4|-|-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Eschew Materials|5|2|-|-

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Uncanny Dodge|5|3|-|-|-

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Wind's Favor|5|4|2|-|-|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Acrobatic Charge|5|5|3|-|-|-|-

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|Elemental Blade Skills (Deafening Critical)|5|5|4|2|-|-|-|-|-

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Aquire Ship|5|5|5|3|-|-|-|-|-

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Shipboard Fighter|5|5|5|4|2|-|-|-|-

11th|
+8|
+3|
+7|
+7|Lesser Shipbond|5|5|5|5|3|-|-|-|-

12th|
+9|
+4|
+8|
+8|Improved Uncanny Dodge|5|5|5|5|4|2|-|-|-

13th|
+9|
+4|
+8|
+8|Elemental Blade Skills (Thundering Blow)|5|5|5|5|5|3|-|-|-

14th|
+10|
+4|
+9|
+9|Luck of the Winds|5|5|5|5|5|4|2|-|-

15th|
+11|
+5|
+9|
+9|Improved Shipbond|5|5|5|5|5|5|3|-|-

16th|
+12|
+5|
+10|
+10|Slippery Mind|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|2|-

17th|
+12|
+5|
+10|
+10|Freedom of Movement|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|3|-

18th|
+13|
+6|
+11|
+11|Elemental Blade Skills (Weakening Critical)|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|2

19th|
+14|
+6|
+11|
+11|Greater Shipbond|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|3

20th|
+15|
+6|
+12|
+12|Ship Master|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4[/table]

Class Features

The following abilities are class features of the Stormblade:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Stormblades are proficient with all simple weapons plus the rapier and short sword. Stormblades are proficient with light armor but not with shields. Because the somatic components required for a Stormblades are simple, a Stormblade can cast Stormblade spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However a Stormblade wearing Medium or Heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component. A multiclassed Stormblade still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Spellcasting: A Stormblade casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the Stormblade spell list. When you gain access to a new level of spells, you automatically know all the spells for that level on the Stormblade spell list. You can cast any spell you know without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a Stormblade must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Stormblade’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Stormblade’s Charisma modifier.

Weapon Finesse: A Stormblade gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat even if she doesn’t meet the prerequisites.

Cantrips (Sp): Stormblades know a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, as noted on the Stormblade Spell List. These spells are cast like any other spell, but they do not consume any slots and may be used again.

Lure of the Sea (Ex): A Stormblade has a special connection with the Sea. This grants her a +2 bonus on Profession (Sailor) and Knowledge (Geography) checks.

Elemental Blade Skills (Su): Stormblades learn how to infuse their swordplay with the power of the sea. At Levels 3, 8, 13, and 18 a Stormblade gains a blade skill. Each blade skill may only be used when making a melee attack with a light weapon or a weapon that can be used with the Weapon Finesse feat.

Shocking Strike: At third level as a free action a Stormblade may use her Charisma Modifier instead of her Strength modifier as a bonus on damage rolls. Using this ability changes any piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning damage done by the attack and makes it electric.
Deafening Critical: When a Stormblade of 8th level or higher scores a critical hit against a creature, that creature must also make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + ½ class level + Charisma Modifier) or be deafened permanently. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.
Thundering Blow: At 13th level a Stormblade may make a single attack against a foe as a standard action. Using this ability changes any piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, or electric damage done by the attack and makes it Sonic. Additionally a creature struck by this attack must make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Charisma Modifier) or be stunned for one round.
Weakening Critical: When a Stormblade of 18th level or higher scores a critical hit against a creature also deals her Charisma modifier points of Strength damage to the creature. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.

Eschew Materials: At 4th level a Stormblade gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a Stormblade can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Wind’s Favor (Sp): Starting at 6th level, a Stormblade gains the ability to use Wind’s Favor once per day as a spell-like ability with a caster level of 6. This also grants a Stormblade the ability to telepathically control an elemental bound into a Wind and Water Wheel.

***Eberron Exception: A Half-Elf with the Least Dragonmark of Storm gains the Lesser Dragonmark feat with the Wind’s Favor spell-like ability instead of the ability normally granted by Wind’s Favor.***

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): A Stormblade of 7th level or higher can charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement or allies blocking her path. This ability enables her to run down steep stairs, leap down from a balcony, or to tumble over tables to get to her target. Depending on the circumstance, she may still need to make appropriate checks (Jump or Tumble checks, in particular) to successfully move over the terrain.

Acquire Ship: Starting at 9th level, a patron recognizes your growing skill and agrees to lend you a standard airship or wind galleon (your choice) for your indefinite use. Enough crew members to properly operate the chosen vessel are also provided, each a half-elf (or any other single race from the Player’s Handbook) expert 1 with maximum ranks in Profession (Sailor). As long as you remain in good standing with your patron, you can use this vessel as you see fit with one notable condition: one-fifth of your gross income from the use of the ship must be tithed back to the patron, including any treasure retrieved during explorations for which the ship was utilized. If your benefactor has reason to believe this tithe is not being paid, they are within their rights to ask that the ship be returned to them—perhaps even going so far as to send an armed retrieval squad to repossess the vessel (and any tithes owed) in the middle of the night.

Shipboard Fighter (Ex): At 10th level and beyond, you can take 10 on Acrobatics and Climb checks even if threatened and distracted. You also do not lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class when balancing or climbing.

Lesser Shipbond (Su): At 11th level, you can forge a magical bond with a single vessel powered by a bound elemental. You must spend a full day of uninterrupted meditation to complete the bonding process. Once the lesser shipbond is established, it grants you several benefits with regard to that specific vessel.

You no longer require a wheel of wind and water to use your dragonmark to control the bound elemental. You can telepathically communicate with it without standing at the helm, allowing you to give it orders from anywhere aboard the ship as a move action.

The elemental acknowledges and accepts your dominance of it, becoming a trusted ally and friend to you. As long as you are on board the ship, it can initiate telepathic contact with you should it desire. It also offers advice when it can and warns you of any approaching danger, even if you are not at the helm. At the same time, the elemental becomes even more resistant to accepting orders from others. Anyone other than you or your cohort (if you have one) who attempts to control the elemental without benefit of a dragonmark takes a –8 penalty on their Charisma check. Even a dragonmark heir using a wheel of wind and water must succeed on a Charisma check to control the ship. The elemental also gains a +4 circumstance bonus on its saving throw to resist any spell or infusion that would grant control over it to anyone other than you.

You can have a lesser shipbond with only one vessel at a time. If the vessel is destroyed (or if you wish to revoke the shipbond so that you might bond with a different vessel), you must make a DC 15 Fortitude save. Failure means you lose 200 XP per Stormblade level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): An Stormblade of 12th level or higher can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Stormblade levels.

Luck of the Winds (Ex): Once per day, a Stormblade of 14th level or higher can reroll any failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw. She must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

Improved Shipbond (Su): At 15th level the top speed of any vessel which you have a lesser shipbond increases by +20 feet while you are at the helm.

Slippery Mind (Ex): When an Stormblade reaches 16th level, her mind becomes more difficult to control. If the Stormblade fails her save against an enchantment spell or effect, she can attempt the save again 1 round later at the same DC (assuming she is still alive). She gets only this one extra chance to succeed at a certain saving throw.

Free Movement (Ex): At 17th level and higher, a Stormblade can slip out of bonds, grapples, and even the effects of confining spells easily. This ability duplicates the effect of a freedom of movement spell, except that it is always active. A Stormblade loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Greater Shipbond (Su): At 19th level, your bond to your chosen ship increases in power. You can now telepathically communicate with your vessel’s bound elemental at any range, up to 1 mile per point of your Charisma bonus. You can even order the elemental to begin moving the ship while you are not aboard, though the elemental’s piloting skills are inferior to your own. Use the elemental’s Profession (Sailor) check (usually +0) instead of yours if you are not aboard. If you are aboard the vessel, you and it act almost as one, allowing you to command it as a free action instead of a move action.

Ship Master: At 20th level your patron recognizes your outstanding service and grants you full ownership of the vessel. Additionally you gain the Leadership, which allows you to attract a crew (Followers) and a First Mate (Cohort). If you already have the Leadership feat you instead gain the feat Epic Leadership.

Stormblade Spell List:

0th: Electric Jolt (SC), Flare, Launch Bolt (SC), Light, Message, Sonic Snap

1st: Animate Rope, Enduring Elements, Entropic Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Lowlight Vision (SC), Mage Armor, Obscuring Mist, Orb of Electricity: lesser (SC), Shocking Grasp, Sonic Blast (SC), Updraft (SC)

2nd: Binding Winds (SC), Darkvision, Electric Loop (SC), Fog Cloud, Fly: Swift (SC), Gust of Wind, Levitate, Resist Energy, Shatter, Snowball Storm (SC), Sound Burst, Swim (SC), Whispering Wind, Wind Wall

3rd: Call Lightning, Capricious Zephyr (SC), Corona of Cold (SC), Daylight, Dispel Magic, Detect Ship (Storm), Down Draft, Favorable Wind (Storm), Fly, Gaseous Form, Lay of the Land (SC), Lightning Bolt, Protection from Energy, Quench, Resist Energy, Mass (SC), Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud, Water Breathing, Weather Eye (SC)

4th: Air Walk, Arc of Lightning (SC), Control Currents (Storm), Control Water, Eye of the Hurricane (SC), Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm, Orb of Electricity (SC), Shout, Solid Fog, Swim: Mass (SC), Wall of Ice

5th: Call Lightning Storm, Cloud Kill, Commune with Nature, Control Winds, Fly: Mass (SC), Ice Storm, Mind Fog, Transformation of the Deeps (Storm)

6th: Chain Lightning, Control Weather, Energy Immunity (SC), Find the Path, Freezing Fog (SC), Freezing Sphere, Greater Dispel Magic, Repulsion

7th: Acid Fog, Cloud Walkers (SC), Storm of Elemental Furry (SC), Storm Tower (SC), Sunbeam, Swamp Lung (SC), Water Spout (SC), Wind Walk

8th: Depthsurge (Storm), Maelstorm (SC), Redtide (SC), Shout: Greater, Stormrage (SC), Sunburst, Whirlwind

9th: Doom of the Seas (Storm), Foresight, Storm of Vengeance, Time Stop, Tsunami (SC), Whirlwind: Greater (SC)

Vadin
2009-10-23, 01:56 PM
Might I suggest unspoilering the class we've all opened your thread to see? It really is discouraging to open a thread to view a class and not actually see the table you've gone to all the trouble of making or any of the abilities you were so kind as to design.

cooperflood
2009-10-23, 04:35 PM
Sorry I miss read the "Guide to Homebrewing". I though it said to put said Tables in a spoiler, but it was actually just refering to the content in the guide. My bad.

On another note one of the guys in my group suggested changing the class name to Stormblade. I think I'm going to go with that suggestion unless anyone else comes up with something better. Thanks.

Merk
2009-10-23, 09:54 PM
I really like this class. Two things:

1. I think Divine magic (like a druid's nature magic) fits the theme better than arcane magic. Arcane magic produces elemental effects, but it's more like "I create magical lightning" whereas druids are more like "I summon storms from the raging sea".

2. Why do cantrips not take up slots? Also, why time stop?

cooperflood
2009-10-23, 10:37 PM
The divine vs. arcane decision was one I heavily debated. I agree that divine (nature) is more appropriate from a thematic perspective; however mechanically arcane is a better fit. While I took spells from both the druid and wizard spell lists, the end result was far more blast and evocation heavy than divine classes are typically permitted. The Wu Jen (ComArc) is a good example of a class with similar thematic elements that ended up being classified as arcane. All that being said I would have no problem making the Stormblade a divine class if that’s the direction people think it should take.

Cantrips (along with the skills) are an idea I stole from Pathfinder. I find them to be an easy way to make spell casting classes feel more “magical” at low-levels without actually increasing their power level. I mean being able to do 1d3 cold or fire damage as an at-will ability is no big deal, but it’s far better than forcing a wizard to lug around a crossbow for when they run out of spell slots.

Thematically Timestop isn’t a great fit, but I was trying to give them at least one spell that is truly worthy of being a 9th level spell. It essentially allows them to drop multiple “storms” in a shorter period of time. My other thought was to include Elemental Monolith (SC) (limited to Air and Water Elementals), but decided that Timestop would probably actually be a better fit. Again this was one of those iffy choices, so I would willingly change it.

While we’re talking about spell lists, what do you think about Dispel Magic for this class? I debate with A) None, B) Levels 3 and 6, or C) Levels 4 and 7. It’s hard for me to consider any caster a full caster without access to most basic of “counter magic” (One of the biggest problems I have with the Warmage), but at the same time it’s not a great thematic fit. Personally I’m leaning towards option C at the moment.

Eagle
2009-10-23, 11:19 PM
I'm confused. How is this not a gestalt sorcerer//swashbuckler? It's like you took a swashbuckler and tacked on full spellcasting.

Flickerdart
2009-10-23, 11:35 PM
I'm confused. How is this not a gestalt sorcerer//swashbuckler? It's like you took a swashbuckler and tacked on full spellcasting.
It doesn't get a familiar. :smalltongue:

cooperflood
2009-10-23, 11:45 PM

There is definitely some truth to you statement. Swashbuckler certainly influenced the design of this class. However this is most certainly not a Gestalt class. To construct this class I actually used the Druid as a template. Note the two good saves, 3/4 BAB, d8 hit dice, 4 skill points, and spellcasting. I changed the spellcasting to spontaneous, thus I also dropped the spell progression to even levels. As a replacement for Animal Companion and Wildshape the Stormblade got some decent melee abilities (Elemental Blade Talents) and a more offensive heavy spell list.

This class did not get Full BAB or a d10 hit die. Most importantly this class didn’t get the strongest (actually the only) feature of the Swashbuckler, Insightful Strike. It may appear that Shocking Strike is the same ability on a quick read through, but it replaces, not adds to STR when determining damage. Anyways Swashbuckler is universally regarded as a 3 level class; so you could probably add some form of spell casting to it without any problems.

I honestly think this is a well balanced class. I would most certainly rate it as being less powerful than a Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, Archivist, Beguiler, Cleric, or Artificer. A large part of this is simply because of the spell list. A casters spell list defines him far more than any class ability and I spent a great deal of effort in providing a list that was suited to his role. However if you have any specific reasons for why you think this class is too good I would be happy to hear you out.

Iferus
2009-10-24, 07:09 AM
I like this very much. The only drawback is it's limited theme. Perhaps you could elaborate on how this class could function as a planar/airborne traveler? Although I like the strong flavor of a limited theme, a class should not be limited in its usefulness. That's what prestige classes are for.

Small nitpicking: Linguistics, Fly, Perception - that's not 3.5!

cooperflood
2009-10-24, 08:45 AM
I like this very much. The only drawback is it's limited theme. Perhaps you could elaborate on how this class could function as a planar/airborne traveler? Although I like the strong flavor of a limited theme, a class should not be limited in its usefulness. That's what prestige classes are for.

Small nitpicking: Linguistics, Fly, Perception - that's not 3.5!

I agree that this class a limited theme. I also agree that from a traditional 3.5 perspective that it should be a prestige class. However I tend to like 1-20 baseclasses and this is what I was intending. Airborne travel is already built into the class, lots of fly spells and one of the Aquire Ship options is an Airship. Basically the only flight spells the Stormblade doesn't have are of the polymorph variety. On the other hand, planar traveling would require an extensive overhaul, because he has next to none of the required spells or abilities.

My group is using the Pathfinder skills (but not much else), however here are the 3.5 skills:

Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Speak Language (Special), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Siegel
2009-10-24, 11:01 AM
Is this something like a Lightningwarrior

cooperflood
2009-10-24, 11:13 AM
Is this something like a Lightningwarrior

Well I googled Lightning Warrior, because I had never heard of the class (not a class) and immediately regretted it. That being said I can't really tell you because I have no familiarity with the game in question (Don't play video games). But my guess is there is a decent chance this class has some similarities.

Siegel
2009-10-24, 03:04 PM
Well I googled Lightning Warrior, because I had never heard of the class (not a class) and immediately regretted it. That being said I can't really tell you because I have no familiarity with the game in question (Don't play video games). But my guess is there is a decent chance this class has some similarities.

I was more talking about that totaly underpowerd class that can't even get a familiar and can'T specialise

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 03:26 PM
My question is: How is this worse, in any way, than the base sorcerer? It's better in every single way besides having no ability to pick it's spells, but it's spell choice is generally very good anyway. Granted, losing a fifth of your WBL for an airship isn't great, but besides that everything is good.

Also, where are airships even statted out? The only airship I can think of is a ship with a cloud keel.

Another comment: The name of the class feature Elemental Blade doesn't make sense considering it's not really elemental. Storm blade, maybe, but elemental doesn't make sense.

cooperflood
2009-10-25, 09:42 PM
I’ll take the softball comments first.

where are airships even statted out?

Airships are mentioned in the Eberron Campaign Setting with a very brief description, but there is an extremely detailed explanation in the Explorer’s Handbook. Around 3 pages including an example ship with floor plans.

The name of the class feature Elemental Blade doesn't make sense considering it's not really elemental.

You’re not the first to complain about the use of the word “elemental” with regards to this class. I thought channeling Lightning and Thunder while doing Electricity and Sonic damage was pretty elemental. None the less I’m working on a different name.

Now for the real issue.

My question is: How is this worse, in any way, than the base sorcerer? It's better in every single way besides having no ability to pick it's spells, but it's spell choice is generally very good anyway.

Well I think you have already answered your own question. I fall into the Logic Ninja’s school of thought when comes to spellcasters. This opinion is fully spelled out here in this thread, Being Batman: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002 (Being Batman). If you aren’t familiar with this guide you should check it out. Basically he divides spells up into 10 different categories. Of those categories the Stormblade’s spell list is overwhelmingly made up of one, Direct Damage. He has no Save or Lose, Save or Die, Save or Suck, or Offensive Buffs. Admittedly he does have a decent number of good defensive spells, including the Fly family, energy resistance family, and a few Wind Wall effects. Additionally while a Stormblades knows more spells than a Sorcerer (but less than the Beguiler) most of his spells are essentially the same spell over and over again with only minor changes. You only need so many ways to deal electric damage. But here’s the real killer. A Stormblade has no access to the cheesy spells. He can’t cast polymorph, wraithstrike, celerity, or any of those super ridiculous spells that most caster’s love.

Milskidasith
2009-10-25, 10:04 PM
He has no Save or Lose, Save or Die, Save or Suck, or Offensive Buffs.

Sleet Storm. Solid Fog. Stinking Cloud. Sound Burst. Binding Winds. Cloud Kill.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-10-25, 10:42 PM
Cool class. In fact, so cool that even though I can't think of anything to say about it, I'm suscribing to it!

Ziegander
2009-10-26, 02:03 AM
Eh, I think my concern isn't so much that the class is overpowered (though I do think it is just slightly), but that it's so cluttered with a lot of useless features.

You want this class to be a "full-caster" and yet you also seem to be aiming for a sort of off-melee combatant type trying to be on par with a Rogue, but failing.

See, in my opinion, all of those Elemental Blade abilities, all of the "fighty" stuff like Weapon Finesse, Uncanny Dodge, and Acrobatic Charge - they end up being worthless. Let's not kid ourselves, you have medium BAB, you aren't sneaky, you don't have a meaningful way to increase your attack bonus or decrease your foes' AC, and you don't have any analog to Sneak Attack or Skirmish.

Here's a question: What do these class features do for you? Lure of the Sea, Wind's Favor, Acquire Ship, Lesser/Greater Shipbond, or Ship Master. What do they do, if you can cast spells like, oh, Mass Fly, Mass Swim, Transformation of the Deeps, etc? By the time you've gotten your ship, you can go everywhere that ship could, without giving up 1/5 your Wealth by Level, and faster. By the time you start bonding with your ship you can go anywhere the ship could but better.

And you say that spell list is predominantly electricity damage spells. You see, while that's true, it doesn't matter. Those spells, like Shocking Grasp and Chain Lightning, they might as well not even be there. Your class knows every spell on its list, and casts spontaneously. The real spells are the things you say it doesn't have - the Battlefield Control and the Utility.

Battlefield Control - Fog Cloud, Stinking Cloud, Eye of the Hurricane, Solid Fog, Cloud Kill, Freezing Fog, Acid Fog, Whirlwind, Greater Whirlwind.

Utility - Feather Fall, Darkvision, Shatter, Dispel Magic, Freedom of Movement, Find the Path, Greater Dispel Magic, Time Stop.

So, in conclusion, while I find that the class is almost balanced, I also find over half of the class to be entirely unnecessary clutter. Seriously you could kill every single one of the class features, raise the spell slots to Sorcerer level, lower the BAB to poor, keep the HD, saves, and armored mage aspect of the class and it would play at pretty much the exact same power level. Actually, a bit stronger since it doesn't take a hit to Wealth by Level.

cooperflood
2009-10-26, 03:43 PM
Sleet Storm. Solid Fog. Stinking Cloud. Sound Burst. Binding Winds. Cloud Kill.

I'm sorry let me be more specific. First off Sound Burst is a good catch, that spell doesn't fit with what I was going for.

Spell Categories

Defensive Spells: Yes, Includes a number of good spells including Energy Resistance, Mage Armor, Wind Wall and Flight

Utility: Yes, but limited. Has spells like Darkvision, Endure Elements and Commune with Nature. I don't see much in this category that's all that powerful mainly just flavor.

Battlefield Control: Yes, lots of good spells. Ice Wall, Solid Fog, and Down Draft, Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud and many others. He is particularly good at limiting movement and eliminating missile attacks.

Direct Damage: Yes: Includes a number of Lighting and Sonic spells. Arc of Lighting, Lighting Bolt, Shout, and more.

Offensive Buff: No
Save or Lose: No
Save or Die: No (Technically Cloud Kill can kill, but only very weak opponents, otherwise it's just damage)
Save or Suck/Lose: I'll list every spell in these two categories.

1st- Sonic Blast (Deafened is a weak Suck condition for Mages)
2nd- Binding Winds (A Save or Lose spell that last as long as you concentrate)
3rd- Shout (Deafened again)
7th- Sunbeam (Blinded a true Suck Condition)
7th- Swamp Lung (2nd Save or Lose)
8th- Sunburst (Blinded again)
8th- Shout Greater (1 round Stun and Deafened, so still just suck)
8th- Red Tide (Save or Lose, nasty little spell)

Bottom line: I think you can construct a better Sorcerer Spell List. Even ignoring all the direct damage spells, many of the good defensive or battlefield control spells are just upgraded or slightly different versions of other previous spells. However if you have any ideas on how to improve or better balance this class I willing to listen.

Eh, I think my concern isn't so much that the class is overpowered (though I do think it is just slightly), but that it's so cluttered with a lot of useless features.

You want this class to be a "full-caster" and yet you also seem to be aiming for a sort of off-melee combatant type trying to be on par with a Rogue, but failing.

See, in my opinion, all of those Elemental Blade abilities, all of the "fighty" stuff like Weapon Finesse, Uncanny Dodge, and Acrobatic Charge - they end up being worthless. Let's not kid ourselves, you have medium BAB, you aren't sneaky, you don't have a meaningful way to increase your attack bonus or decrease your foes' AC, and you don't have any analog to Sneak Attack or Skirmish.

Actually this was kind of my intent. This class is a caster first and foremost. Those “worthless fighty” abilities are just intended to give him the ability to occasionally fight in melee and not suck at it. I have no desire for him to have melee capabilities on the level of the rogue.

Here's a question: What do these class features do for you? Lure of the Sea, Wind's Favor, Acquire Ship, Lesser/Greater Shipbond, or Ship Master. What do they do, if you can cast spells like, oh, Mass Fly, Mass Swim, Transformation of the Deeps, etc? By the time you've gotten your ship, you can go everywhere that ship could, without giving up 1/5 your Wealth by Level, and faster. By the time you start bonding with your ship you can go anywhere the ship could but better.

A number of those abilities (Lure of the Sea for example) are just filler designed to eliminate dead levels. On the other hand Acquire ship and those abilities that modify it are useful. Airships and Wind Galleons have a speed of 100ft and can travel 24 hours a day. This is superior to that of spells like fly, which top out at 60ft and have short durations (Fly for example is only min/lvl). Now none of these abilities are as good as Teleport, which is why I am considering dropping the 1/5 wealth. The language for that ability and others related to it were taken from a WotC class, Windwright Captain (Explorer’s Handbook).

And you say that spell list is predominantly electricity damage spells. You see, while that's true, it doesn't matter. Those spells, like Shocking Grasp and Chain Lightning, they might as well not even be there. Your class knows every spell on its list, and casts spontaneously. The real spells are the things you say it doesn't have - the Battlefield Control and the Utility.

Battlefield Control - Fog Cloud, Stinking Cloud, Eye of the Hurricane, Solid Fog, Cloud Kill, Freezing Fog, Acid Fog, Whirlwind, Greater Whirlwind.

Utility - Feather Fall, Darkvision, Shatter, Dispel Magic, Freedom of Movement, Find the Path, Greater Dispel Magic, Time Stop.

I agree these spells are the strength of the class. On a related note I have considered dropping Dispel Magic (see post #5).

So, in conclusion, while I find that the class is almost balanced, I also find over half of the class to be entirely unnecessary clutter. Seriously you could kill every single one of the class features, raise the spell slots to Sorcerer level, lower the BAB to poor, keep the HD, saves, and armored mage aspect of the class and it would play at pretty much the exact same power level. Actually, a bit stronger since it doesn't take a hit to Wealth by Level.

So basically you think the class is playable, but you just don't like it. Which is perfectly fine and I'm more than aware that this class isn't going to be everybody’s cup of tea. But as long as you think the class is balanced, I'm not going to completely change the class just because is doesn't jibe with your expectations. Those abilities which you have such disdain for are exactly what is making most of the commenters on this thread excited about the class.