PDA

View Full Version : Waves of High Seas - IC

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 02:40 PM
After having bought all the final supplies needed for the long voyage ahead, the group settle on their various ships and start sailing for Yurdeslag. The day seems like it couldn't get any better, the wind was their way, the sun was shining, with the occasional cloud to protect them from sunburns, and they encountered nothing. This seemed suspicious, they were all familiar with the sea and knew this wasn't like a normal day at sea. This was reinforces when they came across a single merchant ship about half a day's travel away from the harbor, which seemed to try and avoid them with all his might. That night, after a day of great travel, it started raining, and after laying anchor in a small harbor, the officers of the fleet went to restock their rum supplies at a local tavern. Upon entering the small tavern obviously meant for the seafaring type, all conversation went quiet, all men started staring at you, and some men even looked away in horror. After this ominous silence, the bartender, who was silently cleaning a rum glass with a dishtowel that was brown from all the dirt asks them."What have ye come 'ere fer?"

industrious
2009-10-23, 03:35 PM
Tortue raises his bowed head to look the bartender in the eyes. The necopolitan's dead eyes stare at the man. Thin, bloodless lips curl in a sneer before he rasps his answer in a voice that speaks of the grave, and echoes with sarcasm.

"We've come here to be wined and pampered by beautiful women in robes. I think we're in the wrong house. This is an inn, barman. Why do you think we have come here?"

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 03:41 PM
Clearly frightened by the necropolitan's appearance, the bartender offers them a drink, saying,

"I'm sorry to have offended you, oh great pirate. Come sit, have a drink, it's on the house."

Smiling apologetically as he moves back slowly to his bar, all other bar-goers look at all of you like you came from the bottom of the ocean, some even snarling under their breaths.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 03:51 PM
Johnathan slowly walks into the bar into the bar, his hat still prominently on his head despite being in relaxed clothing, and his head raised high. He never wore fancy captain's clothes except for special occasions; it was harder to work on the ship that way. Instead, he was wearing a red vest with a white shirt underneath. On the vest was a simple belt and a golden amulet, with a single word marked onto the back. Father. The only fancy thing he had on was his bicorn, a beautifully made, navy blue hat. It had golden thread spun into the sides, and an image of a setting sun, half of his family crest, on one side. His face had a neatly cut, salt and pepper beard on it, and his eyes glowed a green seen only in the waters of the far seas.

I'm here because my sailors wanted a rest to stop, and resuppling couldn't hurt, could it? If it's my reputation that precedes me, fear not, I won't harm you unless you give me reason to.

Beside him stood Rory, a short, wiry man, with his hair in disarray. He wore a curious looking armor made of sharkskin, and almost designed to make him look like a shark with it's fins designed for swimming. He didn't speak, and instead looked down, mumbling to himself, and eventually turning to his captain and telling him what he knew of this port. Outside was a massive polar bear called Winston, weighing over a ton and standing nearly 9 feet tall. He was pure white and covered in fine, almost invisible light blue chainmail, which twisted and turned blows and arrows away from him like he was nothing.

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 04:02 PM
Somewhat relaxed by the other man that just came in, the bartender gave them their drinks. Hearing the captain asking his first mate of what he knew of this port, the bartender volunteered to tell them of the port if they, in turn, told him how they traveled the windless seas this fine and sunny day.

As if to contradict the bartender's previous statement, it began raining harder and a loud crack was heard from outside, indicating thunder.

As the thunder sound subsided, all bar-goers looked at the strange men again, obviously curious as well to how they traveled on this windless sea.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 04:06 PM
The Albatross' Wing makes her own wind, a wind far too fierce for any ordinary captain to sail in. I am no ordinary captain. Under my hand, she stays steady despite the incredible fierce winds that surround her constantly. I can control the wind she creates, and with that, I can sail anywhere I want, at any time, moving the incredible pace of 12 knots an hour.

Johnathan talks in a strong, proud voice, his eyes clearly beaming with pride. Despite the amazing nature of the tale, it is no lie; his ship is one of the fastest on the seas, and truly can make her own winds to suit his needs.

But enough about me. Get some drinks for my men, will you?

industrious
2009-10-23, 04:13 PM
"I will take...4 glasses of rum. Not being able to become inebriated has its benefits." Depositing the requisite coins on the counter, Tortue takes a seat at one of the empty tables.

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 04:21 PM
The bartender motions to the boy that resumed his cleaning to come here, then asks,

"How much will ye need? I will supply anything up to 1 ton o' rum, but then ye'll deprive all a these fine sailors of their rum fer tonoight. A fine ship indeed, 12 knots, to imagine it. This town mainly gets her income from fine sailors like yerself, though business was bad today, seeing as there was not a speck o' wind.

Just as the bartender finishes speaking, the door to the tavern opens to allow a fragile lady to come into the bar, unleashing the rainy weather to come into the tavern leaving most men cold. The lady who entered collapses onto the floor the moment she sets one step into the bar and is drenched because of the horrible weather.

"Oi! Help this lady get up will ye, I won't have nobody dying in me tavern here boys."

As the lady is helped onto a chair, you notice her skin is of the finest blue a man can imagine water to take the color of, and her features are truly a sight to behold; jet black hair flailing about wildly, cheeks of a rosy shade that befit a noble lady, long, sharply tipped ears, and a slender muscled body curved in just the right places, while not being buff.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 04:29 PM
Are you okay, madam?

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 04:39 PM
Waking up slowly to find herself looking into the eyes of a stranger, the lady almost falls off her chair, but recovers fast to tell him she's alright. Now that she's awake without her hair covering all of her body, you see she has gills that cover her neck and seem to move down her back covering almost all of her sea-green skin on her spine, and her eyes are a white found only in the pearls of the deepest of seas, a sight too pretty for any self-respecting sailor to withstand. Finding this strange man looking at her, the lady tells him firmly,

"I will have you know I'm not just any 'ma'am' you can woo and get into bed with. I came here with my ship, just like you no doubt, and I'd like to buy some rum for my crew, bartender?"

Finishing with a motion to the bartender to get her a barrel of rum.

Der Arbol
2009-10-23, 04:46 PM
Ash stood in the cold rain, staring up at the sky as drops of water rolled off of his wire frame sunglasses and trickled down his expressionless face. After about a minute in the rain Ash turned to Neken. Okay, now we go in.

As they entered the tavern, Ash and his sister walked over to the bartender

Ash took off his sunglasses and laid them on the counter. Bartender, can I get a drink? Neken: Make it two.

They were an odd sight, even after their undead shipmate; two Drow in soaked clothing with an owl each perched next to them, and noting their apparel they were definitely not in want of money.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 04:49 PM
Johnathan looks incredulously at the rude, aquatic woman. Not only did she not know who he was, she had the gall to try to think he was a common sea dog who tried to woo every pretty face he could find. He was fifty five years old, for god's sakes, not 15.

Arrogant little bitch, aren't you? I try to be polite, and you decide it's the time to insult me. I wouldn't recommend doing it again, because you would regret it dearly. My honor is not something you should lightly insult.

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 04:51 PM
The Bartender readies 2 glasses of rum for the twin drow, not caring about their appearance much as he assumed they were probably on one of the ships that were already in port, and he got many a man that looked strange. The helper boy also returned from the back carrying a much-too-large barrel and set it down beside the lady, now fully recovered from her stroke.

"That'll be two gold if ye will," the bartender rattled.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 04:51 PM
OoC:

Intimidate: [roll0]

Endalia
2009-10-23, 04:53 PM
Sitting down next to Tortue, Lekititilu surveyed the inn, quickly looking for the most probable threats. After quickly surveying the room, he turns towards the bartender, holds up a clawed digit and mutters "Rum" in a dark, growling voice. As an afterthought, Lekititilu remembers what manners are and adds "please".

Satisfied that some rum is on the way, he starts examining the creature that just stumbled in and tries to remember if he has heard any stories or knows anything about someone or something similar.

Using Sense Motive (+10 mod) to asses the greatest threat in the room.

Then tries to use any of his knowledge skills (dungeoneering, nature, arcana, +5, +5, +3 respectively) to see if he can identify the lady.

And you said you wanted to do most of the rolls right? 'Cause that's why I'm not rolling myself...

Der Arbol
2009-10-23, 04:53 PM
Albert turns on his seat to look at Johnathan.

Oh give the lady a break Johnathan, she's probably just out of her senses.

He then turns back to his drink.

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 04:56 PM
Not impressed by the man's threat, the lady goes on to be a little more polite, introducing herself to her 'savior'. Spreading her hands in a quasi-apologetic way, you notice her hands are webbed.

"Oh, and I'm Kiirthas of the Perlantasil clan, I suppose I should translate that for you, hm, human?"

As Kiirthas shakes her hair behind her, you notice she has a trident slung across her back, as well as armor that covers her full torso.

The bartender readies another glass of rum moodily, but replies with a kind, "One gold for ye." After the man added please.

The greatest threat right now seems to be the tension in the room because of all the strangers.

You identify the lady/Kiirthas as an aquatic elf, though not much is known about those creatures, they are known for rising havoc many a time in the past.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 04:57 PM
Whether she's mad or just supremely arrogant, I have no patience for her delusions. Either she acts like a decent person, or she regrets it. Simple.

EDIT: Turning back to the woman as she spoke, he responded.

Once again, your arrogance precedes you, much like calm precedes the storm. I understand your language, so I understand your names and clans as well.

Johnathan begins to speak in a different toungue, one you could recognize as Sahuguin (if you knew such.)

Now, can you be polite, please, or will you need to lose a few teeth first?

OoC: Do you really want to do our rolls for us? I mean, I can easily roll all my knowledges, attacks, intimidates, etc... you can roll reactive rolls, I don't doubt that, but I'd rather that you not roll our attacks for us. If you doubt our honesty, then we could set up a die roll thread, since you can't delete or edit posts there.

UglyPanda
2009-10-23, 04:59 PM
Ray Crick

The captain of the Crimson Permanent Assurance approaches the bar, dripping wet, his hat and cloak soaked.

"It is indeed a dreadful evening. My crew tried singing to ward off the rain, but it was around the third verse that things started getting just pain nasty. Right now, most of my men are below deck and covered in blankets."

"I'll pay twice the cost of a pint to sit by the fireplace. And get the woman something to eat, she looks ill."

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 05:03 PM
The Woman seems to be 'just plain arrogant' and ignores what the man in front of her said. The barman gladly takes the extra money and gets another chair to fit by the fireplace, while iving the generous man his drink.

"Glad ta have ye sir." He said with a crooked smile.

After approaching the woman cautiously, she speaks to her in aquan, trying to get her more at ease.
<The man by the fireplace offered you food, you want to take it and leave or eat it here?>

UglyPanda
2009-10-23, 05:08 PM
Ray Crick

"Oh, I'm rather sorry. I didn't want anything to drink — unless you have mead. I haven't had it in so long I've forgotten what it tastes like."

Ray pays for his seat and the woman's food, then tries to dry off. He relaxes a little and starts to talk to the other patrons of the bar, starting with the man next to him.

"Hello, my name is Ray Crick, freelance merchant. How do you do?"

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 05:10 PM
OoC: Did you see the edit where I threatened to knock her teeth out?

Johnathan turns aside, muttering to himself in yet another language, this one whispy and light, as if it was the air itself, and not Johnathan, speaking. (Auran)

I can't catch a break, can I? First, I get driven to this small port, and now this little dumbass decides it would be a good idea to insult me. I wish I had brought Winston inside.

Johnathan then turns to the bartender and speaks firmly again in Common, trying to be as convincing as possible.

Hey, I've got a pet outside, and while he's covered up, he probably isn't used to the chill. I know you usually don't let creatures inside, but would you mind just this once?

Diplmacy: [roll0]

Endalia
2009-10-23, 05:12 PM
Feeling the tension as an almost palpable aura in the room, Lekititilu's neck hairs stood on end as he sat there with glass of rum in his hand. Listening intently to what his fleet mates said, he groped after his ripper, just to reassure himself. If there'll be blood tonight... I'll be ready.

industrious
2009-10-23, 05:12 PM
"Forgot my rum", the necropolitan growls at the bartender. Surveying the tension in the room, the already irritable undead decides to step in.

"Right, then. As the oldest person still existing in the room, I think I have the right to say this: settle down, children. And Johnathan, try not to argue with the elf. The pointy-eared [expletive] don't know any better. Meaning no disrespect to Ash and Neken, of course."

taking 10 on a Knowledge(history) check for a total of 23 on the history of aquatic elves.

Endalia
2009-10-23, 05:18 PM
Uttering a sound that sounds like something like a crossing between a snort, a growl and a laugh, Lekititilu turns about 90 degrees and looks at the necropolitan. Tortue never fails to disappoint. It might be interesting to see how this plays out.

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 05:19 PM
At hearing herself insulted, the woman goes up to the necropolitan, seemingly turned on, speaking to him seductively.

"Oh, how old are you then, my man? I like older men, being old for human standards myself." Softly stroking his spine, sje infuses him with magical energy. *Charm Person*

Roll will save. :smallwink:

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 05:21 PM
What the hell are you doing?

As soon as she starts casting, Johathan swings his fist at her, trying to smash it into her face.

Attack of Opportunity: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Nonlethal.

OoC: Wouldn't it take a charm monster to work on an undead? Anyway, I have to go soon, so... blech.

industrious
2009-10-23, 05:29 PM
As the magic washes over him, Tortue seductively winks at the elf. "You know, I have a secret...come closer" When she does, he leans into her ear, and whispers "That doesn't work on me. I'm already dead," and laughs softly into her ear.

Undead are immune to mind-affecting abilities, among other things, including critical hits and sneak attacks.

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 05:29 PM
After forgetting the man's request to be joined by his pet, the bartender now silently nods as he keeps 'cleaning' the dirty glasses of rum.

Trodon
2009-10-23, 05:34 PM
As Johathan swings his fist , a 10 foot minotaur with a very large sword steps into the inn. "Is there a problem here Johathan?"

UglyPanda
2009-10-23, 05:34 PM
Ray Crick

Ray continues his conversation with the person next to him.

"I don't know these people."

industrious
2009-10-23, 05:38 PM
"Ah, the minotaur decides to grace us with his presence. Come now, my dear brute, and have a gander at this lovely thing. Although she might not be your type; apparently her preferred heart to pierce is one that doesn't beat! Tortue chuckles to himself.

Trodon
2009-10-23, 05:41 PM
"So there is no problem? Alright." Delomonas says as he sits next to Tortue. So what has happened before I got here?

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 05:41 PM
Hissing under her breath for giving herself away that easily, the elf steps away from them and draws her trident, warning them.

"Don't come any closer you hear, I'm armed and I warn you once, after that it's up to you what you choose to do with your life. Adding in Aquan,
<Ha! Now they'll get what's coming to them!>

Roll against an intimidate check of 23. :smallwink:

Endalia
2009-10-23, 05:42 PM
Rising from his chair and pulling his Leviathan Fang as he rose, Lekititilu tried to do a threat assessment. What were they up against?

"Think carefully before you do this. We are more than you are. And we are not weak."

industrious
2009-10-23, 05:46 PM
Let's see, intimidate check is countered by level + WIS + save bonuses against fear. I'm immune to fear, but call it a +2 bonus (not included in roll)
[roll0]

And a counter-intimidate attempt
[roll1]

Tortue smiles at the woman. "Sorry, my dear, but I think your technique is sloppy." He grins, showing his yellowed teeth.

Trodon
2009-10-23, 05:49 PM
Do I use my level or ECL this is my level +2 from Johathan's hat. [roll0]

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 05:52 PM
Damn my horrendous luck, ignore any intimidate she had, as she's intimidated by Tortue... getting a 23

Slightly taken aback by the Necropolitan's reaction, she tries to stand firm and holds up her trident higher.

UglyPanda
2009-10-23, 05:55 PM
Ray Crick

"Everybody calm down, now!" Ray shouts with his magically-amplified voice.

"There is absolutely no reason to fight inside the inn where people might get hurt! Take it outside!"

OOC:
[roll0]

Trodon
2009-10-23, 05:55 PM
Delomonas stands up and takes out his sword. "Are you sure you want to continue threatening my comrades?"

INIT:[roll0]

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 05:57 PM
With a devilish grin, the woman moves outside and yells to anyone still inside.

"I'm here waiting, come and get me if you like! I'm not going anywhere!"

Trodon
2009-10-23, 06:00 PM
Delomonas walks outside and grabs his greatsword. "I'm ready when everyone else is."

Der Arbol
2009-10-23, 06:03 PM
(said after Torture's comment on elves) Heh, us Drow don't really consider ourselves elves anyway. Ash continues drinking nonchalantly.

Ash whispers to Neken in undercommon: Be ready, this could turn ugly quickly.

OCC: Above is all before the minotaur showed up, below is now

As the commotion escalates Neken quietly casts *Mage Armor* on herself and Ash, she then hands ash what appear to be two potions.

They whisper in Undercommon: <You have poison on you, right?>
<Yes, here take it, but we should let the fools resolve their own quibble>
<Where's the fun in that?>

Endalia
2009-10-23, 06:14 PM
There will be blood, I see...

Quickly contemplating the best course of action, Lekititilu sighs and starts to grin.

Falling into a more feral posture, his ripper in his hands, Lekititilu charges outside and pounces upon the aquatic elf, like a great hunting cat. Snarling and roaring, Lekititilu decides to try to bite the smug aquatic elf who decided to threaten those who he considers his friends.

Rolls:

Two weapon attacks: [roll0] and [roll1]
Damage for these attacks (skirmish damage included): [roll2] and [roll3]
Then the bite attack: [roll4] and damage: [roll5]
Current AC: 27
Extra crit damage rolled in the OOC thread.

Der Arbol
2009-10-23, 06:21 PM
OCC (can't roll in an edit):
Bluff check (to hide spellcasting): [roll0]
Note, Neken is whispering the spell

Lubirio
2009-10-23, 06:23 PM
Seemingly hurt by one of the attacks, the aquatic elf stumbles back for a second, the regains her footing and looks at the darfellan with more fervor than before.

She takes 67 damage from the crit.

Niezck
2009-10-23, 06:57 PM
Being the last to depart from the ships, Ki Na strides proudly towards the bar, gathering an ever increasing layer of water on his clothes. As he spots the woman and sees her engaging in combat with the other, he sighs deeply to himself.

Excuse me, ma'am? Ship inspector - can you point me to your ship please?

Ki Na flashes her a false piece of paper from his jacket. It has lots of very small text printed neatly on it, but says very little and is only shown for a brief second.

Bluff - [roll0]

EDIT: Zenta follows quickly behind the sea witch, but halts at the sight of the woman, knowing what Ki Na is likely to attempt.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 07:53 PM
She moved outside? Excellent...

As the woman goes outside, a mighty roar is heard, and a massive polar bear charges at her. Johnathan himself runs forward as well, slowly transforming into a brown bear almost as big as the polar bear charging.

As the polar bear reaches her, it swipes at her with it's massive claw.

OoC:

First of all, a hint for you guys; whenever I'm around, you guys get a +2 bonus on all attacks and saves. Woo!

Second, I'm taking Brown Bear form, and my polar bear is making a charging claw attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

EDIT: I forgot to add in my +2 attack bonus, though that probably hits. +2 on the grapple and attack, though.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 08:01 PM
Also, when I make a grapple, I get immediate damage as if by an unarmed strike. I'm not sure if I can use natural weapons for that, but I can roll all of them.

Unarmed strike damage (as if it was just a fist): [roll0]
Claw: [roll1]
Bite: [roll2]

industrious
2009-10-23, 08:02 PM
While the elf and his comrades leave to fight outside, Tortue lingers in the inn to finish his drink. After his glass is drained, he gets up, and informs the bartender "Get out another round; I'll be back shortly."

Stepping out into the rain, he stares at the elf, and points a single finger at her. "I actually regret doing this. Bang. *casts empowered (via spellshard) fell drained lesser orb of electricity."

Ranged Touch Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
if it hits, the lady gains a negative level

Note: the spell still uses up only a 1st level spell slot.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 08:06 PM
OoC: You do realize you might hit my bear with that, right?

industrious
2009-10-23, 08:13 PM
ooc: It's a touch attack, she's wearing armor and wielding a trident. I think that her touch AC is low enough that I won't hit Winston (nice name, by the way). And if it hits Winston...then that could pose a problem.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 08:15 PM
OoC: It's not the problem with missing... in a grapple it's a straight 50-50 to actually hit your intended target. And your attack roll is... well above what would be necessary to get past Winston's touch AC. Then again, if you were supposed to go first (were you?) then you just hit her, and THEN I grapple her. I don't know, this was organized badly... not a good sign for the game when the first combat can't even be done by the rules.

industrious
2009-10-23, 08:21 PM
OoC: Oh. And I just entered combat after everybody went, so yeah, 50/50 chance of hitting the bear. Hold on, then. odd, it's the elf, even, it's the bear

[roll0]

EDIT: Crap. That bear is not in the best of shape right now. 37 damage, a negative level, and now you're probably mad at me. *Sighs, and goes to reread rules on grappling*

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 08:23 PM
OoC: I said you attacked before the bear even grappled... I entered combat afterwards too, since it took two rounds before I responded (because, well, Lubirio decided that letting the enemy run away on a turn that wasn't hers was more important than keeping the order even close to what it should be.) I don't even know, can we just start this whole thing over? It's terribly organized. But you know what, if we're doing that, I'm taking my next full round actions, since I'm entitled to them.

industrious
2009-10-23, 08:31 PM
OoC: Let's not post any more actions until Lubirio makes sense/resets/screams in agony and pain over this tomorrow.

Der Arbol
2009-10-23, 08:39 PM
Ash and Neken remained at the bar, finishing their drinks; the commotion outside could be heard clearly, but neither Drow seemed worried. Ash turned to the bartender Well, it's lucky for you my captain stepped in or that mayhem would be in here.

Ash takes out five shuriken and begins applying the contents of one of Neken's vials to them as Neken continues casting.

Poison self roll: [roll0]

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 08:41 PM
OoC: We said no more actions. This entire thing is a massive crapstorm of failure. Initiative was never rolled, there was no indication of where people went, somehow the elf fled the entire building without taking a single AoO, the elf took two full round actions for our every one, we have no clue if I grappled before or after the lightning because of the way it went, etc. I say we just restart at the beginning of combat, have initiatives posted, and try acting like sensible people by, you know, going in order.

UglyPanda
2009-10-23, 09:13 PM
Ray Crick

Ray senses that for some reason, there is far less entropy in his section of the universe.

He then buys a sandwich — and eats it!

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 09:17 PM
OoC: Judging by all the chaos, there's far more entropy here.

UglyPanda
2009-10-23, 09:25 PM
OOC:
His section of the universe is the part you're not in.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 09:37 PM
OOC: So can we all agree to just restart the combat? I mean, I know we got a lucky critical, but on the same token, I lost two rounds of attacks, two rounds of druid casting, and two rounds of cleric casting and just had my bear effectively killed because of the chaos involved in this fight.

industrious
2009-10-23, 10:02 PM
Agreed. Everybody post initiative as if they had taken 10, just like Lubirio said.

Initiative: 13.

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 10:10 PM
OOC: Taking 10 won't work, because we still, in fact, have to roll if we tie... which means there would be a lot of rolling anyway, since I'm sure most of us lie within the 1-5 range on dexterity. But my initiatives:

13 for the cleric.
12 for me and my polar bear.

[roll0] First one is me, second is my polar bear. Roll against my cleric, since we tie, Industrious. Cleric's tie roll: [roll1]

industrious
2009-10-23, 10:18 PM
Tie roll
[roll0]

Milskidasith
2009-10-23, 10:22 PM
OOC: You won anyway, but you don't add your bonus to the roll... it's just a flat d20, since you only reroll if you get the same value and have the same bonus to initiative.

And seriously, practically everybody is going to need to tie roll anyway, so I say the DM just publicly roll initiative for all of our characters; because taking 10 is just going to lead to chaos or the same amount of rolling.

Lubirio
2009-10-24, 02:16 AM
Hissing under her breath for giving herself away that easily, the elf steps away from them and draws her trident, warning them.

"Don't come any closer you hear, I'm armed and I warn you once, after that it's up to you what you choose to do with your life. Adding in Aquan,
<Ha! Now they'll get what's coming to them!>

Roll against an intimidate check of 23. :smallwink:

Take it from here, anything that works on humanoids works on intelligent undead, as well as monstrous humanoids. :smallwink:

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 09:29 AM
Ray Crick

Ray decides to start up a bar song. Because he can't think of any period-appropriate songs, he starts with 'Drunken Lullabies' by 'Flogging Molly'.

♫Must it take a life for hateful eyes
To glisten once again
Five hundred years like Gelignite♫

OOC:
I assert that this battle is stupid and is only being fought due to the egos of the players.

As such, I refuse to participate in it.

[roll0]

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 09:36 AM
OOC: Or, you know, because she tried to attack us. That's usually a good reason to fight.

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 09:45 AM
OOC:
She attacked you because you intentionally pissed her off because you thought it was funny.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 09:53 AM
OOC:
She attacked you because you intentionally pissed her off because you thought it was funny.

OOC: Where did I say it was funny? She insulted me at first, and I responded. I didn't say "lol" or anything like that. It's RPing, and it makes sense that my character wouldn't take kindly to being insulted by somebody for no reason after I was being polite to them.

industrious
2009-10-24, 09:56 AM
OoC: Plus, she tried to seduce me. Having somebody try to bring you under their will (and failing) isn't the greatest way to make friends.

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 10:14 AM
OOC:
Plural you. The guy playing the necropolitan shoved in an insult when he could have diffused the situation. If you were insulted and you reacted, that's due to your ego, not your moral imperative.

Of course, it's possible that if nobody cared what the NPC did, the DM would've just amplified her obnoxiousness a couple billion fold until somebody cracked. I expected somebody to have enough willpower so I would've seen how far the DM was willing to go.

If it was a plot hook, it would've involved fighting some sort of race war. I'm too lazy to fight when outnumbered.
If it was simply a random encounter with someone obnoxious, then it was avoidable.
If it was a plot hook in a different direction, say 'Show the players NPC X and see how they react', then I would act friendly and build good relations at least until I can figure out which side on the balance of useful/burden she was.
If it's instead 'Show the players the BBEG or his Dragon', then we can't win the battle and I'm not going to bother.
If it's 'Show the players NPC X and let them kill NPC X', then she poses no threat and I may as well be friendly to sponge some items off of her "crew".

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 10:31 AM
OOC:

Plural you. The guy playing the necropolitan shoved in an insult when he could have diffused the situation. If you were insulted and you reacted, that's due to your ego, not your moral imperative.

Character's ego, not mine. If I were playing a character who wasn't a bold pirate captain, but instead somebody meek like my cleric cohort, I wouldn't attack. You need to separate players from their characters; it's what RPing is about.

Of course, it's possible that if nobody cared what the NPC did, the DM would've just amplified her obnoxiousness a couple billion fold until somebody cracked. I expected somebody to have enough willpower so I would've seen how far the DM was willing to go.

So you are saying that because we didn't decide to wait around to see if the DM made the obvious fight (he even said she would be the encounter) even more of a pest, but instead just decided to get it over with and not deal with more insults and mind affecting spells cast at us, we are somehow lacking willpower?

Ok, fine then. Next time somebody attacks you, go... let's say, three rounds, that's what we had before the fight officially started, to not do anything. Doesn't matter what or who attacks; you have to wait three rounds and let yourself be hit before you even try to defend yourself.

Even further, why is it our fault we didn't participate in your "see how annoying the DM can be" game? If you wanted us to do so, you should have said so, not just started complaining after the fact.

If it was a plot hook, it would've involved fighting some sort of race war. I'm too lazy to fight when outnumbered.

If it was a plot hook, then the DM would know what it is, not you. It could have been anything.

If it was simply a random encounter with someone obnoxious, then it was avoidable.

And, of course, the fact she was the one to strike the first blow means nothing to you. If we can't start a fight for being insulted even when my character, why are you saying it's our fault the NPC fought for being insulted?

If it was a plot hook in a different direction, say 'Show the players NPC X and see how they react', then I would act friendly and build good relations at least until I can figure out which side on the balance of useful/burden she was.

Her first statement was an insult and she thought the best way to diffuse the situation was to try to cast magic on us, then draw her weapons. She was a burden.

If it's instead 'Show the players the BBEG or his Dragon', then we can't win the battle and I'm not going to bother.

We only can't win due to DM fiat, because with the sheer number of people on our side she's going to fail a save.

If it's 'Show the players NPC X and let them kill NPC X', then she poses no threat and I may as well be friendly to sponge some items off of her "crew".

If she's dead, then, being pirates and adventures, we'd take her stuff anyway. It's kind of in the code for both.

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 10:38 AM
OOC:
Let me start over.

"I will have you know I'm not just any 'ma'am' you can woo and get into bed with. I came here with my ship, just like you no doubt, and I'd like to buy some rum for my crew, bartender?"
Arrogant little bitch, aren't you?This is where I see the problem started. You perceive the problem having started half a page later, at post 26 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7179023&postcount=26). We have a difference in opinion here.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 10:41 AM
OOC: Yes, she was rude and insulted my character first (indirectly, but still), and I responded. Unless, of course, you see somebody responding to a polite "are you OK" with an arrogant response saying she wasn't going to sleep with me is polite.

EDIT: No, once again, you act as if you know where I, the DM, and all the other players are thinking (you already assumed what his plot hook would be, if ther were any.) The problem started as soon as she decided it would be a good idea to be supremely rude and insult my character's politeness by assuming he was trying to get her in the sack. That is where the problem started; with her actions.

EDIT X2: Also, I'm seriously wondering why you think you should comment on other players and their characters. I'm not disparaging you for not wanting to fight, but you are personally attacking the other players in the fight, saying it is a contest of their (not their characters) egos, for no reason. If you don't want to fight for RP reasons or whatever, that's fine, but you don't have to decide that everybody who does is doing it for OoC, metagamey reasons.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 10:46 AM
OOC:

I never complained about you not helping. The problem is that you decided it would be a good idea to start judging the actions of other players, rather than simply make your own. Do you not see the problem that could occur if every time anybody did something another player disagreed with, they said "My character isn't doing this. OOC: The other players are all doing this because they are all egotistical and aren't acting like I would."

If your frustration stems from people acting differently than you, that is a very severe problem, because there is no way, on a forum, in game, or in real life, everybody will act how you would at all times.

Also, as for the plot hook... I didn't say you couldn't assume it was the plot hook. I said you had assumed what the plot hook was (saying it could "only" be a race war, as opposed to at least 10 [generic] adventures I could come with in about a minute.)

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 10:48 AM
OOC:
In real life and in character, I would have chosen to stop talking to her. Your character did not.

I'm not trying to be an armchair psychologist (even if I'm doing so unintentionally). I have my own ego and my own desires as a player. I simply hate being railroaded. If I can predict it, I try to avoid it. However, I saw the other players taking what looked like bait. This irritated me. I simply didn't want to admit that because I feared that it would lead to even harsher railroading in the future. So, I blamed your egos. It seemed reasonable at the time, but you kept arguing so vehemently about it, that I went into forum-fight mode.

I am sorry.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 10:50 AM
OOC: Why did you delete your post just to repost nearly the exact same thing, except minus the "my frustration stems from that" part?

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 10:51 AM
OOC:
Because I'm changing my argument. You edited your post when I was writting several times.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 10:54 AM
I'm not trying to be an armchair psychologist (even if I'm doing so unintentionally). I have my own ego and my own desires as a player. I simply hate being railroaded. If I can predict it, I try to avoid it. However, I saw the other players taking what looked like bait. This irritated me.

OOC: Err... taking a plot hook isn't being railroaded. That's called taking a plot hook. Being railroaded would be if the DM said "Ok, all of you are all wooed by her beauty. Now you all decide to go on her crew, leaving all those ships you spent days organizing before the game started to get destroyed by a giant kraken while you are gone. Also, you're all permanently dominated. Have fun!"

If you ignore everything that you see coming... then how are you going to play? Are you only going to take completely random actions that involve making something up out of thin air just so you don't have to do anything the DM has planned to even a slight degree?

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 10:55 AM
OOC:
I've spent a lot of time with DMs who make negative plot hooks. That doing anything other than something he expects only leads to disaster. I wanted to hold off on taking an plot hooks until I saw what he had lined up.

I also wanted to see if there was more than one plot hook. If there is only one plot and you can't do anything else, it's railroading.

I'll take a plot hook if I feel there is an even chance of coming out alive. Otherwise, I don't feel like playing in a campaign where everything ever is meant to fail.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 10:56 AM
OOC:

So your argument is that "I'm going to not fight and deride the other players for doing so because I don't trust the DM enough to allow us to play as we want without being killed?"

Trust, man, trust.

UglyPanda
2009-10-24, 10:57 AM
OOC:
I have problems. I'm well aware.

And I haven't played with this DM before. I have no idea what he's like.

Again, I say that I'm sorry.

And I didn't mean what I said to be a strong insult. However, your response led me into forum-fight mode, which is not a place I like to be in. I suffer from a lack of assertiveness in real life and over-defensiveness everywhere due to various reasons. This is not a good thing.

If I go over the line, just tell me so and I'll probably take it back.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 11:09 AM
OOC: That's fine, that's fine. I regret arguing so much as well, so let's put it behind us now.

industrious
2009-10-24, 03:44 PM
Against Intimidate [roll0]
Counter Intimidate [roll1]
EDIT: Add +2 from Johnathan's hat, so final results are 25 and 22 respectively. Thanks for reminding me.

Tortue raised his eyebrow. The lady had skill, that much was for certain. Still, it wasn't wise to have her think he was at all fazed by her.
"Your technique is sloppy, and you're in a room full of unfriendly people. If anything, sheer numbers would defeat you. Back down, and we can all have a drink in quiet."

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 03:46 PM
(You forgot the +2 from my hat, I think. Not sure if it applies here).

Lubirio
2009-10-24, 03:49 PM
OOC:
I have two comments to this whole argument:
1: The fact that you're arguing who's the better metagamer (not explicitly no...), shows you stroke your own egos a lot.
2: This is still the IC thread...

As she gets an unexpected reaction to her attempt to folly them, she doesn't think it much and waits for the others to do anything before acting again.

industrious
2009-10-24, 06:31 PM
As the situation is temporarily diffused, Tortue turns towards Johnathan.

"How much rum should we get for the crew, do you think? Val doesn't drink, but the crew could use a couple barrels for celebrations and the like."

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 06:34 PM
Aren't we still in a fight?

Lubirio
2009-10-24, 06:37 PM
As Ki Na Eva and his bodyguard, Zenta arrive at the tavern, Zenta quickly adresses the situation, and, seeing the woman with the trident as the greatest threat, steps in front of Ki Na as to stop any harm from befalling him, then draws his cutlasses, ready for combat.

He 5ft steps in front of Ki Na, draws his swords and readies an action to attack anyone coming too near them.

Der Arbol
2009-10-24, 09:13 PM
Ash and his sister remain at the bar with their drinks, ignoring the commotion behind them.

Ash whispers to Neken in undercommon: <A pint says they start a fight> <No way those odds are even, make it two to my one and your on>

Neken quietly and discretely casts *Shield* and holds the charge.

OCC:Also, hooty delays until he/she is right after his/her ownerin the initiative order, as will Mr. Bigglesworth

industrious
2009-10-24, 09:36 PM
Valerian "Val" Lorp was on the ship, debating the benefits of going into a tavern before deciding to go, no matter how she felt about drinking. When she saw what was happening inside the inn, though, she slapped her forehead.

Knowing my companions, they probably started it. I really don't want our first act in port to be killing some elf.

Raising her hand, she decides to try to knock the woman out; charming her would only add to this confused mess, and while the woman would be friendly to her, she'd still loathe her friends. Reaching out with her magic, she forces feelings of fatigue and exhaustion, bruises and welts into the elf's mind. *Casts Whelm*

DC 14 Will Save to beat
rolling nonlethal damage [roll0]

Lubirio
2009-10-25, 05:28 AM
The lady makes the will save, dunno what effect it would then have, nothing I suspect.

As Zenta stepped in front of Ki Na, he made sure he got a good glimpse of her, and subtly cast *Shield* on Zenta.

The spell is not silent, Niezck just hasn't picked a speech color for Ki Na yet. :smallwink:

To be able to curse her, Ki Na would have to come within range, as it's a range of touch...

Endalia
2009-10-25, 05:55 AM
Standing up and picking up his ripper on the way, Lekititilu faces the aquatic elf and addresses her "Lady, please, consider your choice of actions carefully. We outnumber you, but we do not want to fight. So please, put your weapon down, or go outside. We do not want to harm civilians."

Rolls:
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Actions:
5 ft steps (I think) up from the chair, pulls his weapon and tries to diplomacy her.

Milskidasith
2009-10-25, 09:37 AM
Looks like this is going outside, then, huh?

Johnathan walks outside, standing next to his polar bear. He waves his hands quickly, and his polar bear begins to growl lowly as magic washes over him. Then, he coughs up a wad of glowing, poisonous green spittle, and holds it in his mouth, waiting for the lady to leave.

Readied actions: The polar bear has a readied action to claw at the lady when she leaves, and I have a readied action to cast Blinding Spittle on her. Also, I cast Nature's Blessing (swift action) which gives my animal a +2 luck bonus on attacks and damage

And since it's Rory's turn:

Rory also walks outside, waving his hands and chanting under his breath as he does so. When he gets outside, he takes a position beside the polar bear, and touches the creature softly. The polar bear shakes for a second, but suddenly four more arms burst from it's front, ready to claw at anyone else.

Casting Girallon's Blessing, giving my polar bear an additional 4 1d4+str claw attacks.

industrious
2009-10-25, 11:26 AM
Tortue smiles at Val. "Nice to see you here, my dear." Still sitting down, he decides to end the fight quickly and efficiently. While his dear great-grand niece didn't want to actually kill anybody, the dead man had no such compulsion. Reaching inside himself to the fell energies that animated him beyond the grave, the dead man prepared to to fire a bolt of lightning at the elf.

readies action to cast fell-drained lesser orb of electricity if the elf crosses the threshold of the door.

UglyPanda
2009-10-25, 12:10 PM
Ray Crick

Ray is still attempting to get a bar song going.

Lubirio
2009-10-25, 04:21 PM
When Ray first started singing, some half-drunken sailors joined in with him, but now that much better entertainment brought itself to their attention, they began watching the upcoming of a fight. Though there was still one guy that enjoyed singing better, singing horribly out of tune and guiding himself with the a piano that hasn't been keyed in too long a time.

Trodon
2009-10-26, 10:43 AM
Delomonas stands up and walks outside standing near the polar bear, waiting for the moment to charge.

Walking outside, redying an action to charge the blue elf once the bear attacks.

Lubirio
2009-10-26, 11:38 AM
As the lady sees everyone tensing up for a fight, she casts a spell, *Quickened Open/Close* And disappears through the window behind her, the people outside then see her coming from behind the tavern, she then shouted something to the dock, where you heard some clambering in response.

She avoids all readied actions, as she was either out of range when they were triggered, or they weren't triggered. :smalltongue:

I'll post a map OOC. She shouted something in a language none of you understood, but some may recognize with a successful Knowledge (Geography) check.

Lubirio
2009-10-26, 12:09 PM
As the lady leaves the inn, Zenta, always on his guard, walks outside slowly, making sure his master isn't hurt and makes himself ready for anything.

Move to V8 and ready an action to move if the lady starts casting a spell at either him or Ki Na.

industrious
2009-10-26, 12:45 PM
Cursing under her breath, Val heads out of the inn. Stop!, she cries out. Flinging her right arm out towards the woman, she speaks a few words, and the color drains out of her body, only to be flung at the elf, surrounding and blinding her.

Moves to Q8
*Blinding Color Surge*
Will DC 15 Will Save, Val is invisible for 5 rounds.

Milskidasith
2009-10-26, 01:58 PM
And Knowledge: Geography: [roll0]

Lubirio
2009-10-26, 02:29 PM
Will Save: [roll0]
It's Hadozee.

When Ki Na moves out of the inn, he calls a monster, *Summon Monster I* and a celestial badger comes up, who immediately attacks the elf.

rolls in next post...

Ki Na @V9
Celestial Badger @J9

Lubirio
2009-10-26, 04:04 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
Swipe an' a miss...

Endalia
2009-10-26, 06:22 PM
Rushing outside, Lekititilu almost crashes into the huge polar bear, but avoids it, and continues left instead, ending up with a decent view of the elf and the dock below.

Actions:

Moving to P8

Milskidasith
2009-10-26, 06:38 PM
Johnathan begins moving his arms slowly, keeping them inches from the polar bear. With a chant that sounds almost like grunts from a pig, he finishes his motions. The polar bear suddenly gains muscle, and beneath it's fur a hardened hide like that of a demonic boar replaces it's normal, more fleshy skin.

Don't kill her, now. Winston, CHARGE!

Winston suddenly rushes off, moving at disturbing speeds for a creature so large. As he moves, it roars, but unlike the normal roar of a bear, it sounds like the roar of a lion. When Winston gets close to the elven woman, he leaps into the air, landing on top of her, all of his claws and his teeth ripping into her skin.

OoC: (This'll be a long one):

Charging from R9 to right next to I10 (where I can flank from the badger).
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]

[roll28] (If two Gclaws hit, this hits.)

All nonlethal.

EDIT: Just to be clear, anything with a C is for a crit, so ignore those except for the one crit claw. And I forgot my grapple attempt.

Milskidasith
2009-10-26, 06:41 PM
Oh, and grapple: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
If the grapple failed, then my second attempt (two claws): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

EDIT: 159 damage. And my damage rolls were generally pretty bad, but the crit helped alleviate that.

Der Arbol
2009-10-26, 07:28 PM
As the elf fled the tavern and headed for the docks Ash remained at the bar finishing his drink. He raised his left hand and gently gestured towards the window, as Hooty flew out it to observe the commotion outside.

Hooty quietly flys to h6 and hides.

Move silently:[roll0]
Hide (at h6):[roll1]

Neken touches Ash and discharges her shield spell, then she casts *mage's armor* on him. Mr. Bigglesworth follows Mr. Hooty and is flying in L13

Move silently:[roll2]

Milskidasith
2009-10-26, 07:33 PM
Rory prepares himself, waving his hands and chanting in a foul tone. His right hand glows dark, and he holds it at his side, ready to strike if his captain or allies were attacked.

Readying an action to cast Darkbolt if anybody attempts hostilities on any allies. If, by some miracle, the elf isn't unconcious, then ignore this because I'll be changing my action. Darkbolt = 2d8+fort (I think; may be will) save or be stunned.

Lubirio
2009-10-27, 04:27 AM
When Winston charges up to the elf, he hits her repeatedly and she falls unconscious as he's grappling her.

Hit, hit, hit, miss, miss, critical hit, hit, then a successful grapple pushing her over the edge of unconsciousness.

You may have rolled pretty bad on damage, but on attack you rolled well...

industrious
2009-10-27, 10:17 PM
Moving towards the elf, Tortue stands slightly behind his great-grand niece...or at least her most recent location. Seeing that the elf is down, and knowing that in all likelihood she managed to contact one of her crew, he prepares to give the next man who approaches the elf a nasty shock.

Move to R9.
Ready an action to cast *Mystic Lightning (+2d6) empowered lesser orb of electricity* at the next non-ally to approach the elf with a weapon in their hand.

Lubirio
2009-10-29, 11:53 AM
Running out of the tavern to find his friends had already taken care of business, Delomonas stepped closer and assessed the situation.

The Elf is still unconscious as some of you hear quiet movements on one of the roofs. Just then, a woman covered in light brown fur, with a slightly stooped posture, a shaggy mane, and a fanged muzzle, glided from one of the roofs with flaps of skin that hang beneath her arms that enable that particular mode of movement. She lands a little while away from them. Spreading her arms wide showing no hostility, she declared,

"I come in peace, and to retrieve my captain. Don't harm her, and nobody will get hurt. If all goes well, we can all be on our way again tomorrow."

As she said this, she began walking to them slowly, reaching for the elf cautiously. She is equipped with 2 curved scabbards, some plate armor covering all of her torso, and a belt to hold it all in place.

She lands in B11, coming from buildings not on the map. And tries to use diplomacy to get a deal: Get her captain back, in exchange for no-one gets hurt. she rolls a 29. She then slowly approaches, and since she's not currently wielding any weapons, no readied action triggers.

the DC for the diplomacy check is 15+highest char lvl+highest wis bonus+2 (negative acquaintance) it is even, as the elf might be interesting, but in the end a burden, and the person who approached seems able to fulfill her promise of hurting people. So if anyone has a wisdom bonus of +5 or more; you beat the check.

Milskidasith
2009-10-29, 12:03 PM
Wait, why are we diplomancing against the PCs again?

Anyway, I automatically succeed on the check.

Johnathan looks at the woman, incredulous that she would actually act as if she were in control.

I'm sorry, but I believe we hold all the cards here; your captain is incapacitated, and I doubt if you are any harder to defeat than she was. If I wanted to, I could crush her right now, and you would be powerless to stop me. However, I see no need for needless slaughter, so I will spare her. If you ever cross paths with me again on unfriendly terms, I may not be as nice. As for travelling with you... our fleet is large enough as is, I see no reason to drag along a ship with potential enemies on it. And since we've been through all this trouble because of your captain, the least you could do is pay for our rum.

Johnathan smiles, hoping that he could at least get free rum out of this damned encounter. He does not signal the polar bear to release the captain, but Winston relaxes his grip somewhat.

Niezck
2009-10-29, 12:07 PM
Johnathan, let me see her first. Ki Na nods to Zenta who stays where he is, and then gives the woman a calm look.

I pose no threat - see? No weapons. If I wanted to kill her, I could do it from here. I simply wish to inspect the damage and advise you - I'm a bit of a wannabe doctor you could say.

Bluff check

Bluff - [roll0]

Milskidasith
2009-10-29, 12:09 PM
Natural. Frigging. 20. Nice!

Also, my diplomacy ( I can't access the sheet, but I think this is my modifier; 10 ranks, +4 charisma, and +7 from my hat): [roll0]

Lubirio
2009-10-29, 12:20 PM
The new arrival rolled diplomacy against the PC's as the PC's would roll against an NPC, and if you do that and fail by 5 or less, they make a counter-offer to switch the deal to one more favorable, which you have done by having them pay for your rum... :smallwink:

Slightly taken aback by the firm reaction, the new arrival walks up to the polar bear, and holds out her hands to receive her captain.

"I wasn't planning on traveling with you, I meant to say we could all be on our own separate ways again tomorrow, as if nothing happened, you misinterpret me. No trouble though, as I will pay for your rum."

As she said this, she reached for a belt pouch and took out some gold pieces, counting them out so that she pays for 6 kegs of rum, then hands it to the person approaching the bear with her captain.

She gives you 60gp, you can decide to do something with it other than buy rum of course, but one keg is 10gp.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do Niezck?

Niezck
2009-10-29, 12:31 PM
Accepting the coins from the beastial woman, Ki Na kneels down next to the unconscious captain and begins examining her. My, my. What a powerful bear you have Johnathan!

He turns to the woman standing nearby. I believe I can help if you would let me? These ... companions of mine ... They are too eager for a fight it seems. Please, allow me to resolve the situation a little by healing your captain.

--If bluff succeeds--

Ki Na turns back to face the injured captain and begins uttering an incantation. His hands move about her entire body, glowing with a crackling cyan energy. As his incantations grow louder and come to a climax, the woman below seems to absorb some of this energy, and both Ki Na and the captain return to their normal state.

Hmm, that's odd. It didn't work. I do apologise, no harm done though. I must try to perfect that ... With that, he gets up and begins walking back.

Bestow Curse, making her lose all knowledge of common and aquan.

industrious
2009-10-29, 12:32 PM
"Meaning no disrespect, madam, but is your captain..."
Tortue attempts to continue, but Val claps a hand over the dead man's mouth.

"Try to behave this time; I have no doubt that it was you that provoked her. We, or at least I, don't want to start another fight. What my dearly departed great-grand uncle was trying to say was that your captain was behaving oddly before the incident. Would you have any idea why this might be so? I, unlike my ancestor, do not mean any disrespect."

Diplomacy roll if needed: [roll0]

Lubirio
2009-10-29, 12:38 PM
Ignoring the request to examine her captain, she responds well to the woman's questions and begins to tell her,

"Ah. She has mood swings and generally dislikes men, except for a select few, and dislikes taverns more than anything else, but someone has to get the rum, and if someone can handle herself, it's my captain. Apparently in this case she went a little over the top. Tell me, did she faint on entering the tavern?"

Getting quite into the story, the new arrival tells it with much animation and fervor, and when asking the last question made visual double entendres with her hands, to imply that if she had fainted it was probably fake.

Ki Na needs to roll another bluff.

Obviously the diplomacy is a succes. :smallwink: Any relation is now neutral, it started out as a negative acquaintance because she was associated with the odd aquatic elf.

Slowly waking up, the elf speaks garble for a moment, and then stares in horror at the person leaning over her. Unable to move though, she speaks to the new arrival in a warning tone.

DC15 Knowledge (Geography) to identify as:
Hadozee, if you know Hadozee, read the next spoiler
"He cursed me, I can't speak common or aquan anymore, get us out of here!"

Milskidasith
2009-10-29, 01:51 PM
Ugh, what did Ki Na do this time...

Niezck
2009-10-29, 01:55 PM
She's awake! Aha, it must've worked then! See? I told you I'd help! Now then, I'm tired from all this work. Come, Zenta, let us return to the ship.

Ki Na beckons to Zenta who begins walking towards the now yawning elf.

industrious
2009-10-29, 02:47 PM
Tortue appraises the situation. The fight was over, the first mate had defused the situation, and he was getting bored."I'll be back in the inn, getting the rum. I paid for several more rounds, and I never was one to waste money...or rum."

Val, on the other hand, was excited to meet new people. "Sorry about my great-uncle, he's not exactly the most polite or caring person in the world. My name's Val. What's yours?"

Der Arbol
2009-10-29, 02:48 PM
Neken senses from her familiar that the fight is over and the two groups are going their separate ways. Turning to Ash, she says: Well, I guess I owe you a drink.

Never bet against that crew starting a fight.

Neken casts *charm person* on the bartender. Oh, I never expected to win.

She speaks to the bartender: Hey bartender, what's your name?

Lubirio
2009-10-29, 05:08 PM
Bartender will save: [roll0]

Hearing her captain speak, the newcomer looks at the elf hatefully for a while, but then she cheers up and goes over to Val excitedly.

"I'm Sasha, nice meeting you, I'm the first mate on that big ship over there, and that's my captain right here, Kiirthas. But tell me, what does Val stand for? Or is it too personal a question?"

She says this somewhat proudly, pointing in the general direction of the dock. But, concerned for her captain, she adds in the same strange language.

Anyone who made the check last time doesn't have to make a check this time, otherwise, DC15 Knowledge geography to identify the language as
Hadozee, if you know Hadozee, rea the next spoiler
<I'll get us out of here fast, but we need a way to do it inconspicuously, and our clerics will handle your curse.>

The bartender, instantly interested in the newcomer asking his name, says.

"I don't got a proper name, but people know me as Jill Humphrey, or Hump for short, nice huh?"

I know what humping is, that's why it's so funny. :smallbiggrin:

Trodon
2009-10-29, 05:13 PM
Knowledge geography check: [roll0]

Milskidasith
2009-10-29, 05:21 PM
Johnathan waved his hand for a second, and Winston returned to him, panting excitedly. He then looked towards the two new crew members, and begins speaking.

I'd appreciate if you would speak in a language we understood; while I'm sure we are all happy now, I'm not entirely certain I can trust that you aren't planning something. If you want, though, I could get one of my crew members to translate; I'm sure one of them knows that language. Or we could try chatting in a language we all understand; I happen to speak Elven, Aquan, Auran, Sahugin, and Draconic, besides Common, of course. If this is a private matter, just say the word, and I won't pry. Rory, check on her condition, if you would. He's our ship's healer, he's fine.

Rory slowly walks over to them, moving his hands in strange gestures as he went. When he gets there, (assuming he is allowed to) he touches the injured elf, infusing her with positive energy.

OoC: Casting Comprehend Languages on the move there, and then burning a casting of Bless Water to use Cure Light Wounds. Also, I'm making a heal check, which should keep me in contact with her for Comprehend Languages to work. Heal: [roll0]

industrious
2009-10-29, 05:41 PM
"It's really nice meeting you, too. Being stuck with these men all the time really limits your options for meeting new people, unless you count being attacked as meeting. I really like your ship; what's it called? As for my name, it's short for Valerian. I'm named after my granduncle...and the very rude man who just walked back into the bar is my great-granduncle. Once you get past the rudeness and sarcasm...there's a whole another layer of bitterness and self-loathing. And now I'm rambling because I really haven't met any new people in a long time, so I'll just stop now. Speaking her last sentence quickly, Val breathes deeply afterwords.

Lubirio
2009-10-29, 05:59 PM
Ignoring all the seriousness, Sasha excitedly responds to Val.

"It's called The Killer's Wake, because we go after conspicuous killers and we leave them in our wake, it makes a lot of sense. So you mean to say the man from before is your family? Some interesting bonds I must say. I personally like our ship a lot as it has room for a great many people, most of whom are my friends."

Broadly smiling the whole time, Sasha gestures back to the dock a few times in reference. Kiirthas however, stands up slowly, nods at the cleric kindly for tending to her wounds, shaking him off her, and responds to the man of the languages in Elven.

Anyone who speaks Elven can read it, you all know it's Elven:
<I appreciate your willingness to communicate, and we wouldn't do it in Hadozee if not for your little friend who deprived me of my knowledge of the Common and Aquan tongues. I must say you have a fine party of adventurers fit for combat, especially that bear of yours.>

Nodding at Winston and the end of her speech, she moves back to stand next to Sasha, and says something so soft, you can barely hear her speak at all.

Same language, same deal:
Hadozee:
<I presume you're not telling them any more than they need to know? I'll wait for a little diversion, and then we'll disappear.>

industrious
2009-10-29, 06:05 PM
"Nice, our ship is called The Albatross' Wing, but I never understood why. Something about some old poem, I think. Yours makes more sense. As for my great granduncle...it's complicated. I'll just say that my namesake never grew up." Wiping away a small tear, Val smiles briefly.

Der Arbol
2009-10-29, 10:11 PM
Very nice, it's an interesting name for sure. I'll tell you what, why don't you give me and my brother here a drink on the house and tell us all about this lovely inn you run, I'd love to hear about it.

Ash's owl flies back to the tavern and perches on his left arm, Neken's familiar, however, remains on the rooftop to observe and listen.

Ash says to Neken in undercommon: <You would enchant him.>

industrious
2009-10-29, 10:41 PM
Walking into the tavern, Tortue picks up the rounds of rum he left behind earlier. Walking back over to the bar, he nods at the two drow. "Who bet that we were going to kill the elf?", he asks with the bored indifference of somebody who's seen it done before. In a lower tone, he mutters something else to the pair.

Abyssal

"Did you charm the bartender again?"

Lubirio
2009-10-30, 12:44 AM
Noticeably relieved someone was interested in him and his tavern, he starts to tell a whole story.

"Two ale comin' up, milady. I run this tavern after my dad did it, and he did it after his old man did it, it's kind of been in tha family for a while I guess. But this town isn't an easy place ta run a tavern, oh no, there's been lot's of stuff goin' on lately, but normal isn't far from it, so I guess it's all alright."

He continues for a while like this, eventually speaking to himself as he starts to clean a glass of rum again, mumbling.

Niezck
2009-10-30, 09:24 AM
Ki Na begins walking back towards his ship before stopping mid-step and turning on his right foot. Actually, Zenta, I think we should have a drink or two first.

The wood elf nods and follows Ki Na, in step, back towards the tavern. Upon entering, his hands fix to his blades. He approaches the bar and mutters grumpily to the barman Two rums, and make it quick before tossing him two gold coins. Ki Na has already taken a table in the corner of the room by now and is busy fiddling with his bracers.

Der Arbol
2009-10-30, 11:12 AM
As the bartender continues his exposition, Neken leans back from the bar and looks at Torture. Of course not silly. She continues in Abyssal: Abyssal:<And no, Jill and I are good friends, we go way back you know.>
Bluff check:
Bluff: [roll0]

As Ash listens to the bartender something he says catches Ash's attention. Wait, what's that you said about weird stuff going on here?

industrious
2009-10-30, 01:18 PM
Sense Motive:[roll0]

"Sorry, my mistake."

Lubirio
2009-10-30, 03:00 PM
the bartender responds excitedly to his new questioner.

"Oh looots o' stuff, Ah must say, I can' think o' anythin' right now though, sorry mate."

The way he says it you think nothing of it, apparently everything is exciting to the man.

I'm going for kind of a Dwarven/Texan (more dwarven than texan) accent here, is it working?

UglyPanda
2009-10-30, 03:16 PM
Ray

Ray is playing cards with a bunch of random sailors over inconsequential stakes.

OOC:
Confusing accent is confusing.

Niezck
2009-10-30, 03:48 PM
Zenta coughs loudly. My drinks?

Milskidasith
2009-10-30, 05:12 PM
Johnathan heads back to the bar, leaving Winston outside again. When he gets in, he lays down the 60 GP on the bar.

I'd like all the kegs of rum this would get me, if you don't mind. After that, unless my friends have any errands they need to do, or just feel like staying on land, Johathan shows contempt for that option, we should head off.

About what time of day is it? If it's night, then I'll have my post changed to having me say I'll turn in and we can leave in the morning, but if it's the afternoon or earlier, I'll keep what I said.

industrious
2009-10-30, 08:12 PM
OoC: Nice HatAvatar, Mils

Tortue quaffs his remaining glasses of rum. "Sounds good to me, though I expect that Val will need to be dragged kicking and screaming back to the ship. The girl makes friends far too easily."

Milskidasith
2009-10-30, 08:39 PM
OOC: Thank you.

Yeah, I can understand that, but she has to leave eventually. Out of curiosity, can you actually taste anything, or do you just drink because it's tradition? Johnathan says this, and, thinking about what he's saying, decides to gulp down the rest of his glass of rum.

industrious
2009-10-30, 08:43 PM
"I can taste it...mostly. My taste buds aren't nearly as good as they used to be. On the other hand, I don't get drunk, or pass out, or make time with the bartender's wife and have to be chased out of a bar with a greatsword." The man paused. "None of which, of course, happened when I was alive.

Milskidasith
2009-10-30, 09:33 PM
Good to know... I think. Anyway, so, bartender, are those kegs ready?

Lubirio
2009-11-01, 06:48 AM
After looking into empty space for a while, the bartender activates himself again and calls his helpboy to get the kegs of rum for him, then serves the elf his drinks.

"Sorry for the delay lads, I was kind o' out o' it, fer a second there."

"Two gold fer the drinks, and that'll get ye 6 kegs, agreed?"

Sorry for not mentioning I would be away this weekend, but I'm back now and that's what counts.

Right? :smalleek:

Niezck
2009-11-01, 06:51 AM
Thank you. With that, Zenta carefully carries the drinks over to the table in the corner where Ki Na is sat, and slides one of the mugs across to him.

This is a nice place, isn't it Zenta?

A grunt is the only reply he can get.

By the gods you're grumpy sometimes. Cheer up man!

Zenta simply drinks a little more, and looks around the room suspiciously.

With a sigh, Ki Na says to himself I don't know why I even try ... and sits back in his chair, relaxing.

Endalia
2009-11-01, 05:28 PM
After Winston finished the battle rather quickly, Lekititilu sighed and said a quick thanks to the Whale Mother. No one died at least...

When he sees that things seems to go just fine, he starts walking off towards the docks and when he reaches the water, he jumps in, relishes the feeling of water against his skin.

Lekititilu will spend an hour in the water, avoiding danger and just having a good time, maybe jumping a bit. After that, he'll go to bed.

UglyPanda
2009-11-01, 05:30 PM
Ray

Ray heads back to his ship and performs his sleep/rest routine for the night.

Niezck
2009-11-01, 05:44 PM
Seeing that Zenta will be next to no company tonight, Ki Na glances around the inn. Finding the first unoccupied person, he approaches them with a big smile on his face, taps them on the shoulder and stretches out his hand.

Hi! I'm The Tide, who're you? Nice day, isn't it? Shame about that little fight before. Did you see it? I did, it was very gruesome. Sorry, what did you say your name was again?

He spurts it all out in a blur of speech, giving the poor victim no time to answer his initial question, but pausing after the final one to give them a chance to reply.

Der Arbol
2009-11-01, 09:08 PM
When they finish their drinks, Ash and Neken leave the bar (Neken's familiar joins them) and find an inn in town to sleep in.

Trodon
2009-11-01, 09:17 PM
Delomonas heads towards the ship. "I'm going to get some sleep, see you all tomorrow."

Milskidasith
2009-11-01, 09:35 PM
I'll sleep on the ship too; it's more comfortable than any inn, at least in my quarters.

industrious
2009-11-01, 10:12 PM
Val heads back on board shortly after finishing up her conversation with Sasha. Climbing into her bunk, she dozes off, and dreams about her new friends.

After finishing his drinks, and long after his shipmates exit, Tortue calmly walks outside. Going to the edge of the water, he levitates himself over the depths, and then releases the enchantment, falling down, down, to the bottom. In the silence of the water and the waves, he stands at the bottom, silent and alone. If he was alive, and on dry land, one would see tears in his eyes. But he is dead, and in the sea, and there are no tears. As the sun rises, he levitates himself back up, and stands on deck just as Johnathan his exiting his quarters in the morning

Lubirio
2009-11-02, 01:13 AM
The man's only reaction is to act offended and ignore the odd elf.

After you all settle for the night, the day dawns on a slight improvement the the weather of the night before. It is still raining profusely, but there's no more thunder and the wind is still pretty violent.

Day 2, start doing whatever.

Milskidasith
2009-11-02, 03:00 PM
Johnathan leaves his comfortable bed in the morning, going out to the inns and getting all of his crew ready to leave.

C'mon you lot, get up! We're wasting time on land; we need to head out soon!

After making sure the men were all ready and in the capable hands of his mates, he went back to his ship and admired her. The Albatross' Wing was a glorious ship. It was light and agile, and danced on the waves. It was covered in a light red, incredibly sturdy wood, and made in a strange, aero and aquadynamic design. Most magnificent were the masts; they were thick and covered in strong iron rings holding them in place, made of an even higher quality wood than the deck. On the two masts were two sails, constantly billowing. The main sail was black, with an image of a dark red setting sun on it. The other sail was white, with an image of an albatross in blue.

The ship was covered in barrels filled with miscellaneous goods; there were weeds that helped the crew breathe, bandages, and, of course, ale. In his quarters were numerous charts, two crates that were always full of food for the crew, and some other personal gear he didn't carry with him. The crew, after getting on, settled into the routine of making sure the rigging was OK, and, after that, took up their positions.

Most of the crew Tortue brought with him stayed underneath, playing with dice and cards for small sums. Johnathan's few, but more experienced, crewmembers were all much busier, working above the deck to set a course and get the sails ready to go. Johnathan himself was standing idly by the helm of the ship with Winston, prepared to set sail as soon as the others in his fleet were ready to go.

OOC: Where are we headed, anyway?

industrious
2009-11-02, 03:35 PM
Val wakes from her sleep when the ship begins to set off. ""I'm up, I'm up!" Rubbing her bleary red eyes, the young lady heads onto the deck, scratching irratably at her armor. "So, captain, we finally dropping Delomonas off? We have gotten somewhat sidetracked."

Tortue is currently levitating about 3 inches off the deck; the only thing he does to encourage the crew is to stare at them, look at them as only a corpse can, until they notice his gaze and work harder.

Der Arbol
2009-11-02, 06:46 PM
Ash wakes up to a bright light that blinds him, he must have been so tired last night that he forgot to close the window shade. With the light still in his eyes he sits up and casts *darkness*, then reaches for his glasses on the bedside table. After he gets ready, Ash walks down the hall and knocks on Neken's door several times before it opens. *Yawn* Rise and shine sis, the boat is waiting. Can't it wait fifteen more minutes? Last time you said that it was four hours, you can sleep on the ship.

Ash and Neken Head back to the ship and Neken goes below deck. Ash Stays topside and watches the crew, helping out when someone needs a hand.

UglyPanda
2009-11-02, 06:53 PM
Ray Crick

"Are we doing anything today? I'm feeling bored."

Ray is lying on his back on the deck, staring at the sky. "Arnold, could you go figure out if there is anything worth shipping to wherever the **** it is we're going?"

"Anyone know where the **** we're going, by the way?"

Arnold

"I have no ****ing idea, boss-man."

The surly singer starts walking around the ship, trying to find someone who has a clue.

"Hey, Ash-man. Do you have any ****ing idea where we're ****ing going? Boss-man wants to pick up some cargo."

Der Arbol
2009-11-02, 11:08 PM
I think we're following Rory's ship, he picked up some minotaur fellow in port a few days back. Guy must have paid a **** load to get the Albatross as his own personal ferry. As far as cargo goes, I'll tag along; lets see what we can find.

As Ash finishes his sentence, his owl flies over to him and lands on a barrel next to him.

Niezck
2009-11-03, 02:10 PM
Ki Na wakes up to a badly lit room, his cabin. On the walls hang an assortment of maps, pictures, trinkets and old scrolls. A small cabinet lies next to his bed, containing all of his tools he uses to experiment and create his own items. He stands, stretches off the nighttime fatigue, and dons his robe.

Alright then! Let's get a-rolling! ALL HANDS ON DECK! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! He rings the alarm bell as he walks onto the deck, shouting loud enough for the entire ship to hear. Sailors and warriors alike scramble to don their equipment and man the ship. Zenta approaches him, quite alarmed.

What's the matter? I see no attacker?

Leaning in, Ki Na whispers Ssssh, it's a drill. Pretend we're about to start firing on our friends.

Oh ... my gods! ALL HAND! PREPARE FOR BOARDING! He scrambles around the ship, getting the crew ready, before reporting back to Ki Na that everybody is in place.

Two minutes!? You call that efficient!? Alright, back as you were! We'll try that again later. Sighing deeply, Ki Na signals Zenta to take watch as he returns to his cabin and begins preparing spells.

Spells for today:
Detect Magic x2
Light
Mage Hand
Feather Fall
Magic Missile x2
Shield
Sleep
Summon Monster I
Alter Self
Levitate
Scorching Ray x2
Swim
Detect Ship [Cast]
Extended Mage Armour [Cast]
Dispel Magic
Disguise Ship
Lightning Bolt
Fireball
Sailor's Escape

Lubirio
2009-11-03, 05:04 PM
When every ship in the fleet is ready, drills or no drills, they set sail with a favorable moderate wind. after some time however, they come across a small merchant ship sailing perpendicular to your path. Alarmed by the obviously much stronger fleet, the ship turns away from you and tries to flee.

Not-so Random Encounter!

Narrative Naval combat: you have advantage, you state the speed of the lowest ship in your fleet, that's your current speed, you can increase if possible.

Heading of merchant ship: Opening, speed 30ft.
Heading of your ship: Closing, speed yet to be determined.

Anyone with ranks in the skill can make a Profession Sailor check to determine the kind of ship it is.

Niezck
2009-11-03, 05:44 PM
Well, once the ship is visible, I study it for 1 round, and my detect ship kicks in.

[roll0]

Which gets me:
Type of Ship
Course, Speed, Time to Intercept
Weaponry
Ship's Name
Signs of Alleigance
Port of Call

Ship ahoy! Man yer posts, all of you! Zenta, come here. Ki Na beckons for Zenta, unsure of what to do.

Lubirio
2009-11-03, 05:54 PM
So that happened before combat was initiated:
Pinnace
(before changing) South-East, 30ft, 1 minute (you'll know after changing next turn)
No mounted weapons
Harbol's Leave
None you're familiar with
Destination: Barbossa

That clear things up?

industrious
2009-11-03, 06:52 PM
"Ship ahoy! Stall their sails, and would somebody send Val belowdecks? From his position 10 ft above the deck of the Albatross' Wing, Tortue peers at the ship, hoping to identify what kind of ship it was.

Profession check
[roll0] EDIT: forgot to include bonus from Mils' hat, so really a 19

UglyPanda
2009-11-03, 07:02 PM
Ray Crick

"What the **** happened? I was just lying down, next thing you know, we're at sea."

"ALL NON-WORKING MEN TO YOUR ****ING BATTLE STATIONS! BOWS OUT! COMMAND LEADERS BE WHERE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE! MARTY, QUINN, GET UP HERE!"

"BARDS, START YOUR SINGING! EVERYONE ELSE, READY YOUR BOWS! ARNOLD, BACKUP BAND DUTY!"

Ray decides to scream at the merchant ship as Arnold sings an accompaniment to intimidation.

"HEY, YOU! SURRENDER YOUR CARGO OR OUR THREE SHIPS ARE GONNA SINK YOU! DO IT NOW BEFORE ONE OF YOU GETS HURT!"

OOC:
[roll0], boosted by marshal aura and inspire competence
[roll1], boosted by marshal aura

Milskidasith
2009-11-03, 07:32 PM
Err... you need a feat to intimidate an entire ship, unless you picked up Scourge of the Sea. Plus, I'm pretty sure they can't hear you this far away.

Anyway, profession: Sailor check:

[roll0] I think I make it.

A merchant ship? This ought to be easy enough. Full speed on the sails! Albatross In Flight!

As Johnathan says those three words, a massive wind picks up, roaring into his ships sails, moving them along at a blazing speed.

Everybody, including the merchant ship, needs to make a DC 25 profession sailor check with their ship. The wind's blowing us at 3x speed, which brings us to 120 feet per round. I autopass the check... hope you guys can.

UglyPanda
2009-11-03, 07:42 PM
OOC:
I'm not trying to intimidate the entire ship, just the guy in charge. I don't really care if it doesn't work, it was worth a shot.

And the hat boosts the sound of your voice, too bad that everyone in D&D is nearly deaf.

Most merchant ships just gave up their cargo at the sight of pirates they were afraid of. They were like the clerks at 7-11. They just work there, they're not going to give up their lives over cargo that's been insured by a company they have no stake in.

And what are you doing that requires a profession check?

Milskidasith
2009-11-03, 07:45 PM
Identifying the ship. As for everybody else's DC 25 checks... it's a gale. You fail the check, you founder.

UglyPanda
2009-11-03, 07:48 PM
OOC:
How? Are you casting a spell? What the hell is going on here?

All I saw you do was use everfull sails, which only affect your own ship.

[roll0]

Der Arbol
2009-11-03, 07:49 PM
Ash wakes up to the sound of Ray shouting and a melody of inspirational music. The song he hears fills him with excitement and he quickly runs below deck to get Neken and his weapons.

When he arrives at his sister's and his room Neken and her bodyguards are already preparing. I can't wait, the first ship is always the best! Calm down, it's just a small ship. Nothing interesting is going to happen. How do you... As ash trails off he notices that Neken's familiar is not in the room, which must be how she knew to get ready. Come on, get your stuff and lets go! *Mage Armor* *Resistance*

Their room is spacious, even by mainland standards, and well decorated with tapestries and artwork that blend together into a dull, yet serene background. On the wall hang several paintings of waterfronts and houses on the water, all of which are somber and reminiscent of rainy days now long since past.

In less than a minute, Ash and his sister are topside and stand watching the fleeing ship.

Neken has already cast Mage armor and resistance on herself and is casting her spells on Ash now. She is fully armed and is accompanied by her five guards.

Milskidasith
2009-11-03, 08:04 PM
OOC:
How? Are you casting a spell? What the hell is going on here?

All I saw you do was use everfull sails, which only affect your own ship.

Greater Wind Favored Sails. Move 3x your speed and control winds within 600 feet of you (I believe that was the distance) but needs a DC 25 profession sailor check to control your ship.

UglyPanda
2009-11-03, 08:13 PM
OOC:
Dude, announce what you're doing; Nobody memorizes the other people's sheets. It would have saved me frustration and time spent googling if you just said He uses his Greater Whatever.

And isn't that item 3.0?

Milskidasith
2009-11-03, 08:30 PM
OOC:
Dude, announce what you're doing; Nobody memorizes the other people's sheets. It would have saved me frustration and time spent googling if you just said He uses his Greater Whatever.

And isn't that item 3.0?

I mentioned, multiple times, that I had greater wind favored sails. I mentioned it tripled my speed, which only wind favored sails do. I mentioned on the OoC thread (or was it this one?) that I hoped you guys could make DC 25 checks to use greater wind favored sails without foundering. I felt I had been pretty clear on the fact I was using greater wind favored sails.

UglyPanda
2009-11-03, 08:33 PM
OOC:
I assumed you had everful sails, like everyone else. You still have to announce things.

Looking through the two threads, you only mentioned it twice.

One of the two times you said it was cheaper. Cheaper than what? There are only three ships and at least one of them has the set of everful sails.

Der Arbol
2009-11-03, 08:47 PM
OCC: This seems like a conversation best continued in the OCC thread.

Trodon
2009-11-03, 10:48 PM
Delomonas awakes when Johnathan calls to the ship. (Late I know.) And dons his armor and grabs his weapon, running out onto the deck he calls "What's going on, are we getting attacked?"

Niezck
2009-11-04, 06:07 AM
I autosucceed

Lads, prepare to board! Let's hit 'em straight on!

Due to Great Captain, I only need to spend a move action to control my ship, so I do so. How far apart are we?

Lubirio
2009-11-04, 02:17 PM
The moment John activated the magical property of his great sails, the merchant ship seemed to have trouble staying afloat and starts to founder, your ships then catch up with them and they all raise their hands in surrender, visibly too scared to take any other actions.

You can board, they won't stop you, but they want to talk and get a deal of some kind, you can open the diplomatic attempts.

Their action for the next turn is 'taking total defense,' in a way.

Endalia
2009-11-04, 02:26 PM
Once the sounds of trouble reach Lekititilu, he walks rather lazily up on deck. As he sees the other vessel, he just sighs, but keeps his ripper in hand.

"Oy, Ki Na, do you think there is any possibility of a peaceful plundering?"

Milskidasith
2009-11-04, 02:54 PM
Johnathan calls out across the ship, his voice booming loudly despite the gale (OoC: It's says it lets my voice be heard within 100 feet no matter what, which includes the gale, I think). As he does so, he makes sure that he and Winston are visible to the other ship at all times, to make sure they knew who they were dealing with.

Well, it's quite likely you know who I am, seeing as you surrendered without a fight. It's good; blood makes the decks slippery, and nobody likes to die, anyway. So I'm going to propose a simple deal, if you don't mind. I'll call off the gale and let you guys leave as long as you let us get all your cargo, besides your food, drink, and various supplies that make it possible for you to sail home. If you'd rather not give up your goods, well, we would have to settle this in quite a different manner,

Johnathan moves his hand in a quick motion, and Winston rears up and roars.

wouldn't we?

Niezck
2009-11-04, 03:10 PM
Ask those blood-thirsty beasts over there. He points to Johnathan's ship.

I was hoping to catch them first and set them on their way, seems I didn't get my chance.

Der Arbol
2009-11-04, 03:11 PM
Still excited about the first plundering of the trip, Ash prepares to board the merchant ship as soon as possible. Neken stands next to him and watches the other vessel as their boat closes in. *Shield* Looks like all this excitement is for nothing, they've surrendered. I don't particularly care for bloodshed anyway, I just want to board and plunder (and look good doing it).

Neken casts shield on Ash. Ash activates his boots of speed for one round and jumps over to the merchant ship as soon as it is 20ft. away, taking ten on the check. Ash's owl perches near him once he boards the ship. Neken moves to the edge of the ship w/ her guards and readies her light crossbow.
Jump: [10+13]=23

Lubirio
2009-11-04, 05:15 PM
Still looking scared, the apparent leader nods his head vigorously, then commands a deckhand to go get something below-deck. He then tries to yell over the gale, visibly doing his best trying to get a message across.

Listen check DC 20 to hear, 30 to know what he says, he says:
"Please don't hurt us, he's getting the goods we have, you can check to see if there's more if you want. Just let us live please."
If you get 25-29 on the listen, you'd hear this:
"Please ..., he's ... goods we ..., you can ... if there's .... Just ... us ..."

Ash can go with the deckhand if he likes, to check on all the goods and bring some over.

Niezck
2009-11-04, 06:47 PM
Ki Na turns to Zenta and Lekititilu. Did either of you two get that?

Nope. With that, they both turn to Lekititilu.

Milskidasith
2009-11-04, 07:21 PM
Bleh, I can't hear 'em. Albatross, Perch!

The gale suddenly weakens although there are still winds blowing them along. Johnathan stays at the helm, but begins barking orders to his crew to head towards their ship.

Now that it's a bit quieter, and my crew's all settled with you guys, could you repeat what you said? I couldn't hear a bit of it.

Der Arbol
2009-11-04, 08:23 PM
Ash boards the merchant vessel and walks over to the apparent captain (by the time he gets there, the captain has presumably responded to John). No worries mate, Jhon and his lot may be dangerous, but since you surrendered your lives are safe.

Ash pauses and looks back at the Albatross.

If you wouldn't mind, could you have someone escort me to your holding area? I'm sure it will be no trouble at all.

UglyPanda
2009-11-04, 08:42 PM
Ray Crick

"No shooting at anything, people. False alarm."

Ray grabs a sandwich from a field provision box and goes back to lying down.

Lubirio
2009-11-05, 02:17 AM
The man seemed to have calmed down, and tells Ash to head downstairs, he'll find it once he's there. Repeating what he said earlier.

"Please don't hurt us, he's getting the goods we have, you can check to see if there's more if you want. Just let us live please."

With that, he turns to some of his crew to escort Ash down, get some more stuff and then tries to explain why he was so scared of them, once anybody will give him a chance to.

Niezck
2009-11-05, 07:55 AM
Ki Na taps his brooch, and it beeps slightly. He proceeds to point at the man and utter this message, which sounds with such clarifty that the man could think Ki Na was stood next to him.

We won't hurt you, don't worry. Where do you hail from anyway, and what are you hauling?

Using Brooch of Communication, to use *Message*

Lubirio
2009-11-06, 02:54 PM
The captain seems startled by the voice so close to his head and turns around quickly, only to find nothing there. Ash follows the deckhand down deck, and they find a room full of food supplies and spices, then another room full of food supplies and water, the deckhand then tell him they trade spices and food supplies and starts to pack everything in the first room, and gives each finished package to Ash as he finished them.

The captain recovers after a while and responds,

"We hail from Koprit, and are headed for Barbossa, dealing in food supplies and various spices like salt, pepper, olive oil and such."

industrious
2009-11-06, 03:33 PM
Tortue levitates over just in time to hear the chatter about the ship carrying supplies. Curious, he asks "I don't suppose there is any tobacco on this ship?"

Lubirio
2009-11-06, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear some interest, the captain starts to tell him,

"Oh we have tobacco, pipes if you need them, even some tobacco from across the seas, very exotic."

Clearly proud of it, the man turns to Tortue only to find a big surprise when he looks into the undead face and is visibly disoriented, then looks asahmed that they'll take it all.

Milskidasith
2009-11-07, 12:34 AM
Johnathan looks at the other captain boldly and with a bit of contempt. He seemed cowardly and was too proud of material goods, rather than skill as a captain. Still, he was only a captain of a merchant ship, so it was hard to expect anything else. Johnathan began to speak to his men as they went to grab their well earned plunder from the other ship.

Grab all we can. Leave them... let's say, two month's worth of food and water, that's enough for them to find a nice port to restock at. Take all of the exotic spices and tobacco, though; it'll sell well.

Lubirio
2009-11-07, 04:22 AM
Looking sad about all his lost goods, the captain didn't dare complain about keeping 2 month's worth of food. You finish loading the goods onto your respective ships without trouble and you set on your way again, leaving the captain alone with his crew to mull over why they aren't dead.

After a while of enjoying the new goods the merchant ship slowly disappears and you continue on your merry way.

Each of you gets 150xp for that encounter. :smallbiggrin:

UglyPanda
2009-11-08, 12:10 PM
Ray Crick

Ray continues to sail the ship to its destination.

"So, anyone know why we're going where we're going?"

Absolutely nothing to do in the open seas when there's nobody to fight and nobody new to talk to.

"Hey, Ash... come here a minute! Tell me your life story!"

Der Arbol
2009-11-08, 02:04 PM
Ash sits in his room enjoying a cup of spiced tea and reading a book taken from the merchant ship. His room is dimly lit by a few candles that cast an eerie light across the somber decor and leave the room cloaked in shadow. After a few hours Ash leaves his room and walks up on deck. As he enters the light he takes out his sunglasses, puts them on, and heads over to the side of the ship. As he peers over the side into the water, he hears Ray calling him.

Well, this is sudden. Ash begins walking over to Ray. I'm afraid it will take more than a minute, but it is an interesting story. Shall I start from the beginning?

UglyPanda
2009-11-08, 02:07 PM
Ray Crick

"May as well, we're going to be here in a while and the only thing I'm doing is steering and tanning."

"So start from the top already."

Der Arbol
2009-11-08, 02:28 PM
Okay, I may not look it but I'm older than your great grandfather and the world's changed quite a bit since I was born one-hundred and twenty two years ago in the underdark.

You see, back then the drow were involved in a large war between two kingdoms, started by an evil emperor's ambition. They fought for this emperor in exchange for money and power, but when he fell, so did they. My home city was raided and destroyed when my sister and I were still children, but we were saved by one of the nobles leading the attack. He was my late adoptive father Nicholas Barrow and he took us in as his own.

Ash stares across the deck as he talks. He pauses for a few seconds and looks back at ray as he finishes his last sentence.

UglyPanda
2009-11-08, 03:41 PM
Ray

"I thought all of you non-albinos were united under the same country."

"At least, that's what the albinos say."

Der Arbol
2009-11-08, 04:03 PM
Perhaps now they are, to be honest I really don't know or care. All I know is that the city I was born in was burnt to the ground... well, the underground.. and I was freed from a miserable life in the underdark.

After that I grew up in my father's household with my sister and his children. Things were pretty quiet then and they probably still are, that's why I ended up here on the seas where I can explore the world.

UglyPanda
2009-11-08, 05:10 PM
Ray

"You never went back to check on them? If my dad wasn't such a wuss, I'd want to always know what he's doing. Of course, he is a wuss, so I don't care."

"I send a couple magic messages a year to my mom, she owns a brothel on an island you probably never heard of."

Lubirio
2009-11-08, 05:29 PM
Before you go into more detail on the brothel, I'll throw another encounter at you guys, one in the form of the chance for Delomonas to shine and show them what he's worth. :smallwink:

As the sun sets on yet another peaceful day at sea, one of the boats shakes a little bit. Just then a giant fin appears out of the water, then disappears n the water again.

Just when you thought the danger disappeared, a shadow loomed up from under the water, getting surprisingly big, and a huge shark jumps out of the water, more than half the length of their longest ship. Falling back down into the water, it starts to swim around the fleet, aiming for prey.

Der Arbol
2009-11-08, 05:47 PM
You have to understand, Drow usually aren't too keen on the whole loving one another thing. My birth parents were probably just as bad as the rest of that dishonorable lot. If I ever return there it will be to see whats become of a city lost to memory, not to reminisce about my childhood.

So, what island does your moth...

Ash turns his head to see the massive shark jump out of the water and land in it again. Open mouthed, he runs over to the side of the ship to watch its looming shadow beneath the waves.

UglyPanda
2009-11-08, 06:04 PM
Ray

"I really don't want to say."

Only then does Ray notice the shark jumping.

"I knew I should have bought a couple hundred harpoons. And what food goes along with shark? Can we just fry the thing and be done with it?"

Der Arbol
2009-11-08, 06:12 PM
Ash pauses for a moment, then turns and holds out his hand as his owl lands on it.
We should probably shoot the ballistas at it.

Niezck
2009-11-08, 06:24 PM
Ki Na is simply chatting mindlessly to Zenta when he hears the great splash.

By the gods ... WHAT!? Turning, he sees the back end of the shark enter the water, and immediately calls out.

BATTLE STATIONS! ALL OF YOU SCURVY SCUM! BATTLE STATIONS!

Knowledge (Nature) - [roll0]

UglyPanda
2009-11-08, 06:41 PM
Ray

"We could, but it might be easier to just swim away from it. It's not like those things eat boat wood."

"We could let our aquatic hunter deal with it."

"Hey, people on other ships, should we gut this thing or what?" he yells to the boat next to him.

industrious
2009-11-08, 07:34 PM
Tortue looks at the leviathan shark...and shrugs. "I've seen worse." Looking at the creature as it glides through the water, he yels to the other boats "KILL IT"

Trodon
2009-11-08, 11:26 PM
"Woah, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?"

Niezck
2009-11-09, 03:05 PM
Turning to his trusted bodyguard, Ki Na speaks boldly. Zenta, you know what to do.

DIRE SHARK! ALL HANDS TO WEAPONS! SCRAMBLE TO ME! TO ME!

Ki Na strides to the great wheel of the wingship, places one hand on it, and the other he holds out towards the sea, ready for anything.

industrious
2009-11-11, 12:36 PM
Looking over the side, and hearing her greatgranduncle's obvious plan(Kill it? You really do have a one track mind, Uncle Twicestrike.) Val decides for a more subtle approach. Leaning over the rail of the ship, Val crafts an image of another shark, one larger than the one attacking them, steadily approaching.

Casting Minor Image.

Lubirio
2009-11-11, 01:23 PM
Seemingly not fooled by the image, the monstrous animal's jaws graze the side of the ship in an attempt to gnaw it open. It then disappears down under and later appears in between the wingships, in front of the dromond, and roars a roar heard even in the highest mast of every ship around.

The third hull section from the back on the lower half of the Albatross' wing takes 5 damage.

The creature is now in the middle of the ships, attacks are possible from all sides, it's about 5ft down in the water.

Lubirio
2009-11-19, 12:17 PM
Running over to the other side of the ship in a hurry, Rory casts a spell the moment she gets there, and the water around the Shark seem to push together in a tight sphere of pure pressure.

I can't fins a speech color for Rory so I'll leave it at this, pressure sphere dealing [roll0] damage, fort save DC16 for half.

industrious
2009-11-23, 11:58 AM
For a moment, Tortue's mind wanders, thinking of the wonderful new stock of tobacco that he would be smoking shortly. Then he remembers the shark below. "I wonder how roast shark tastes."

Pointing his right middle finger at the leviathan, he smirks. "I think I'll be finding out soon enough." Channeling arcane energies through his ring, a bolt of lightning lances out at the creature. As he does so, he mutters "Twicestrike."

Casting twinned lesser orb of electricity at the shark, with sudden empower and expanding one charge from his ring to deal +2d6 damage.
Attack Roll:[roll0]

Damage: 1.5 * ([roll1] + [roll2])
EDIT: Dice roller, I loathe you.

UglyPanda
2009-11-23, 12:40 PM
Ray

"How much would a couple hundred harpoons cost? Then again, we'd have to tie ropes to them for retrieval purposes. Does anyone know how to cook shark, by the way?"

"Somebody hand me a bow, would you kindly."

Ray retrieves a bow from one of his followers.

OOC:
Full-round: Get bow
Done

Der Arbol
2009-11-23, 03:27 PM
Ash
Ash draws his longbow and causually fires at the shark, then turns to a crewmate and says: Go get Neken, she'll want to see this.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Neken
Neken lounges in her and Ash's room reading a book taken from the merchant vessel, unaware of the commotion on deck. Most would consider their room dreary and poorly lit, but to a drow it is perfect; though it could be argued that the shadowy light actually enhanced the decor of the room and the somber artwork on the walls.

Trodon
2009-11-23, 07:19 PM
With a slight smile Delomonas grabs his sword"Please don't leave me down there." As he runs and jumps from the deck onto the shark.

Jump: [roll0]
I'm not sure if I could make an attack or not if so: [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Edit: Forgot the +2 from the hat, so at 2 to all of them.

Lubirio
2009-11-27, 06:06 PM
Delomonas lands with a loud splash and holds on to the fin as they keep moving forward with a constant speed.

You make the jump, but can't make the attack because you're spending your time holding on to his fin for dear life, you are all still moving...

UglyPanda
2009-12-06, 06:49 PM
Ray Crick

"Screw it."

Ray sits down and stares at the ocean.

OOC:
Full-Round: Do nothing.