PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Quick Question about Mithral Armour

ChazFox
2009-10-23, 04:01 PM
Alright, so I'm looking at armour properties here.

Mithral's description states that it reduces armour check penalties by 3 (to a minimum of 0). It also states that items made of Mithral are always Masterwork items. Masterwork Armour reduces armour check penalties by 1.

Do these reductions stack? (For instance, if I got a Mithral Breastplate, would the armour check penalty be reduced from -4 to 0, with Mithral reducing the penalty by 3 and Masterwork reducing it by another 1?)

technophile
2009-10-23, 04:12 PM
I believe the ACP reduction from Masterwork is already accounted for in the Mithral reduction, so -3 total.

Elfin
2009-10-23, 04:12 PM
No, they don't stack.

Edit:Ninja'd.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-23, 04:14 PM
Confirmed. The armor check on the Mithral Fullplate in the DMG is -3, 3 better than a normal fullplate's -6.

Moriato
2009-10-23, 04:16 PM
No, whenever a special material has that little line about "Items made of _____ are automatically considered masterwork" it means that all of that has already been figured into the material itself. Cost, armor check penalty, all that.

Technically, there's no such thing as a "Masterwork mithral breastplate" because it's already considered to be masterwork just by being made out of mithral.