PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Monk curiosity

Runolfr
2009-10-23, 04:21 PM
Having seen all the assorted threads come and go discussing the viability of monks (or the lack thereof), what's the fix for them?

Is it as simple as just giving them full BAB progression instead of 3/4?
Would it require upping their hit dice to d10s, as well?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-23, 04:27 PM
What have we done to make you hate us so?

Runolfr
2009-10-23, 04:28 PM
What have we done to make you hate us so?

I thrive on suffering.

Bassetking
2009-10-23, 04:32 PM
Increase to Full BAB

Increase Damage to the d10 progression

Decouple Stunning Fist/AC bonuses from Wisdom and tie them to Dex or Con

Allow flurry mechanic/monk status effects/monk Unarmed Damage Dice to be channeled through special monk weapons

Put Tongue of Sun and Moon at lv. 5 not Lv. 17

Quivering Palm Set to daily, base save off of Dex or Con, not Wis...

This is just a starting list. The class needs a lot of work beyond this.

Paulus
2009-10-23, 04:32 PM
I shall respond with this! Monk monk, mc Monk monk. Monk a monk, monk.

and now, this thread shall run amonk!

And they're off!!

Runolfr
2009-10-23, 04:41 PM
I suppose I should ask, has anyone actually playtested such tweakage in a campaign?

Zaq
2009-10-23, 04:44 PM
The reason people suggest unarmed swordsage so often is because it works. It is the exact same flavor without the suck. That's the fix.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-23, 04:45 PM
I suppose I should ask, has anyone actually playtested such tweakage in a campaign?

I've seen three home brew Monk fixes and playtested two. One worked, the other was just polished crap. By far the best fix is to shove the Book of Nine Swords into their face and say "Play it!". I've told that to three players so far and have not gotten a single complaint out of them since.

I myself am converting the Monk into a Meldshaper class. I'm fairly close to finishing it (just need more Soulmelds and to stat them out).

InkEyes
2009-10-23, 04:46 PM
Deja Vu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129018).... (Yea not quite the same but some good build advice).

Paulus
2009-10-23, 04:49 PM
I've seen three home brew Monk fixes and playtested two. One worked, the other was just polished crap. By far the best fix is to shove the Book of Nine Swords into their face and say "Play it!". I've told that to three players so far and have not gotten a single complaint out of them since.

Tome of battle isn't always available though... Neither are psionics. I've yet to actually see a monk fix for core that everyone agreed upon. :smallfrown:

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-23, 04:51 PM
Tome of battle isn't always available though... Neither are psionics. I've yet to actually see a monk fix for core that everyone agreed upon. :smallfrown:

Because core sucks!

Seriously, why do people want to fix the most unbalanced splat in the history of 3.5? You're better off banning the entire book, and then letting select feats or spells through.

deuxhero
2009-10-23, 04:53 PM
Having seen all the assorted threads come and go discussing the viability of monks (or the lack thereof), what's the fix for them?

Is it as simple as just giving them full BAB progression instead of 3/4?
Would it require upping their hit dice to d10s, as well?

It isn't just that. Flurry and increase move speed clash with each other (can't move and use flurry at the same time). They have an ability spread over the entire class that can be done better than a level 20 monk for 2000 something gold while the other abilites spread over level 20 are similarly easy to emulate with just gold or done by a wizard many levels ago.

Monks need other changes than BAB and hit die, like subing flurry for skirmish.

Zaydos
2009-10-23, 04:53 PM
I like the idea of giving monks pounce, they run and hit you in the face 4 times. That might just be me though.

deuxhero
2009-10-23, 04:54 PM
Yeah, pounce is another option if you want to keep both move speed and flurry.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-23, 04:56 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I just locked one of these monk threads. Maybe you weren't intending to restart that locked thread, but the issue needs a rest. Thread locked.