PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Minor House Rules and Fixes

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-23, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to come up with a list of house rules and changes for my campaigns, and right now I'm focusing on small changes like "Favored Souls have Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill" and "Monks are proficient with Unarmed Strike".

At any rate, I know I'm not remembering all the little fixes I've wanted to make over the years, so I'm inviting you to post yours. I'll note again that Major balance issues and sweeping changes are not my concern at this stage.

SoD
2009-10-23, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to come up with a list of house rules and changes for my campaigns, and right now I'm focusing on small changes like "Favored Souls have Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill" and "Monks are proficient with Unarmed Strike".

At any rate, I know I'm not remembering all the little fixes I've wanted to make over the years, so I'm inviting you to post yours. I'll note again that Major balance issues and sweeping changes are not my concern at this stage.

Dragon Shamans have Knowlege (Arcana) as a class skill.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-23, 04:37 PM
One of the Dead Level articles on WotC's website allows a 1st level Favored Soul to exchange Knowledge (Arcana) for (Religion).

Here's one for you: It starts on PHB pg 33 and goes through to pg 37.

Tehnar
2009-10-23, 05:08 PM
Merge open lock into disable device.

Just make notes on how some spells work, where you find there is any confusion or lack of clarity.

Remove the [evil] descriptor form deathwatch.

Cedrass
2009-10-23, 05:09 PM
I usually house rule that no class can have less than 4+Int skill points per level. And that you can't roll less than half the maximum you could roll for your HP (any other roll is unaffected by this)

Draz74
2009-10-23, 05:15 PM
Ranger Animal Companions use Level -3 for effective Druid level, rather than 1/2 level.

Frosty
2009-10-23, 05:23 PM
Ranger Animal Companions use Level -3 for effective Druid level, rather than 1/2 level.

I personally think Druids should get Ranger -3, not the other way around :smallwink:

Magnor Criol
2009-10-23, 05:36 PM
I like to tweak the skills a bit. Like Tehnar said, merge open lock into disable device. I also like to merge hide and move silently into "stealth" and spot and listen into "perception". If there's a bonus that only applies to one (like, the halfling bonus to listen, but not spot) then it just turns into a circumstantial bonus ("halflings receive a +2 bonus to perception checks related to listening"). I also like to give everyone the option to trade out class skills for other skills as long as it's reasonable and fits with their backstory; I'll let a fighter who worked as a bodyguard trade and ride for perception, for instance, but a barbarian probably wouldn't be able to get Knowledge (Arcana). (Unless they really worked hard to convince me...)

Definitely remove [Evil] from deathwatch, that's one of the more ridiculous bits in the whole chapter on spells in the PHB.

I usually house rule that no class can have less than 4+Int skill points per level. And that you can't roll less than half the maximum you could roll for your HP (any other roll is unaffected by this)

One of the DMs I played with had an interesting HP variant; both the player and the DM rolled an appropriate die for hit points, the DM's roll being kept secret from the player. The player then decided whether he wanted to keep his result or take the DM's. It worked out pretty well.

sofawall
2009-10-23, 05:40 PM
One of the DMs I played with had an interesting HP variant; both the player and the DM rolled an appropriate die for hit points, the DM's roll being kept secret from the player. The player then decided whether he wanted to keep his result or take the DM's. It worked out pretty well.

I use that one. Statistically increases HP if you take your if above average, DM's if below.

Also, doesn't screw over the barbarian with less HP than the wizard because he keeps rolling ones for HP.

Magnor Criol
2009-10-23, 05:43 PM
I use that one. Statistically increases HP if you take your if above average, DM's if below.

Also, doesn't screw over the barbarian with less HP than the wizard because he keeps rolling ones for HP.

Exactly, it prevents that frustration while not going as far as "everyone gets full HP each level" (which is the rule my normal group plays with). I think the fact that it still allows for random chance while providing a light-duty safety net is what makes me like it better, it's more exciting that way.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-10-23, 06:02 PM
I have a tome full of small, simple and fun house rules (http://lukebuchanan.com/TS_Tome_of_House_Rules_3e.pdf).

mabriss lethe
2009-10-23, 06:31 PM
Change the use of a potion from a standard to a move action. Potions aren't a very economical way to use magic items, and by higher levels have some relatively trivial effects. By letting them use up a lesser movement action, they still retain a high degree of relevance in higher level play.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-23, 07:21 PM
Monks are proficient with their unarmed strikes.
Making full attacks with a ranged weapon provokes attacks of opportunity.
Rapid Reload and Manyshot also work with slings.
Great crossbows can benefit from any feat/ability that specifies heavy crossbows, in the same way. (Great crossbows remain exotic weapons.)
Bonus damage from the Factotum's Cunning Insight is negative energy damage when used with a spell or effect that deals negative levels or ability damage, making it consistent with the treatment of bonus damage from sneak attack when used with weaponlike spells.

Cedrass
2009-10-23, 07:48 PM
Change the use of a potion from a standard to a move action. Potions aren't a very economical way to use magic items, and by higher levels have some relatively trivial effects. By letting them use up a lesser movement action, they still retain a high degree of relevance in higher level play.

Wait what it's not? Well I've learned something today! :smallbiggrin:

It will still be a move action in my groups. :smallsmile:

mabriss lethe
2009-10-23, 11:13 PM
Wait what it's not? Well I've learned something today! :smallbiggrin:

It will still be a move action in my groups. :smallsmile:

Nope It is indeed a standard action. check the standard action summary on the SRD. In every game I run, it's one of the few outright house rules I add. It should still provoke an AoO, though. don't forget those.

Ozymandias9
2009-10-23, 11:17 PM
Not all of these go to every table I DM, but:

I generally exchange fighter for the Generic Warrior in UA in more power sensitive campaigns.

If we roll above first level, skill points gained from increased int or caps raised because of multi-classing are retroactive during the generation process.

Natural spell only works with reagent-less spells.

Injury while casting always drops a spell. Other uses of concentration can still work (casting defensively, while riding, etc). (This is only one table, and only occasionally).

The DC for a massive damage save scales at +3 per 10 damage over 50. It still starts at 15 DC for 50 damage.

Gate does not include an inherent calling effect, but can be used in conjunction with summoning spells to remove duration limits, Dismissal, and similar spells (though creatures summoned in this manner can actually die).

Most teleportation spells have their cast time increased to 1 minute per spell level (i.e. 5 minutes for Teleport). In general, this is limited to teleportation spells with a listed range of 0, touch, or personal. Thus dimension door and similar spells are not effected.

alchemyprime
2009-10-23, 11:28 PM
I have a lot (to the point I have to rewrite every class. But its fun. :D) But one I really enjoy doing is replace "Skill points" with "Skills trained". So you pick X + Int mod skills at first level, they are ranked equal to class level, and the others are 1/2 class level. All class skills have a +3 bonus to checks. Makes the skill curve a bit more interesting, but bookkeeping low.

gdiddy
2009-10-24, 12:20 AM
Weapon Focus unlocks a maneuver:
Called Shot:

Any rolled non-magic attack with the Focused weapon can be a called shot. Called shot cannot be combined with any other maneuver, or attacks of opportunity. A called shot cannot exceed the attacker's BaB.

A called shot takes a to-hit penalty, but has extraneous effects that (hopefully) make the gamble worth it. Options:

-4 to aim for sensitive areas on the torso +2d6
-6 to aim for a limb, 1d6 Dex or Str damage. If damage is greater than 25% of character's hit points, the limb is unusable pending a DC 15 heal check. If it crits, the limb is lost.
-8 to aim for a hand, head, or foot. On crits the hand or foot is lost.
-12 to aim for an eye. This rarely hits the eye, but does instead +8d6 damage to the target's face. On a crit, the eye is lost or target dies (depending on DM's discretion), apply penalties.

Called shot provokes an attack of opportunity. This can be stacked with power attack, sneak attack, and all ranged weapons. Aberrations, oozes, anything with no determinable anatomy, and creatures two size categories larger than the attacker cannot be targeted with Called Shot (Greater Weapon Focus allows the targeter to call shots on any size opponent). A character's BaB is added to their AC when the target of a called shot.

Makes Weapon Focus useful. It also makes magic users stay the hell away, with their vulnerable, vulnerable eye sockets.

oxinabox
2009-10-24, 01:39 AM
Fighters get skills (class skills and Skill points) as per Ranger.
It makes them more interesting to play out of combat.

taltamir
2009-10-24, 02:40 AM
aren't all creatures automatically proficient with natural weapons?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-24, 05:33 AM
Clerics get 4+Int skill points, Knowledge Domain Clerics instead get 6+Int.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-24, 06:51 AM
aren't all creatures automatically proficient with natural weapons?

All creatures except for humanoids. Humanoids are proficient with their natural weapons only if it's specifically stated in their description.

I don't see what that has to do with this thread, though.