PDA

View Full Version : How will Redcloak story come into play in the main comic (SOD spoilers)?

The Pale King
2009-10-23, 07:19 PM
It would be pretty anti-climactic to have Redcloak story not have a conclusion, as would it be to have the predictiment of the goblins and the Dark One not addressed in some way. However, how would the comic resolve this without leaving readers who haven't read Start of Darkness have no idea what's going on? Will he reveal the story of Right-Eye and the Plan in the comic?

Kish
2009-10-23, 07:29 PM
My answer to your last question would be "definitely, at some point." We've already been informed, by the creature in the darkness, that there existed a character who answered to Right-Eye and hasn't been around in a long time.

Kaytara
2009-10-23, 07:39 PM
I agree with Kish. Regardless of how it turns out, the relationship between Redcloak and Xykon IS a definite plot point in the main comic, and their backstory is too important an element not to play a role in the inevitable resolution of that plot point.

Zordrath
2009-10-23, 08:20 PM
The Plan has to matter at some point. Redcloak has not abandoned it (nor is he likely to do so in the near future), which will sooner or later bring him into conflict with what Xykon has planned. At this point,
Xykon's hypnotic command to the MitD to devour Redcloak if he ever betrays Xykon will probably come into effect in some way. I don't think the Giant would have introduced this if he didn't intend to use it, so I assume Redcloak and Xykon will be opposed at some point. How this will turn out I don't know, but considering that Xykon is the main villain, I would be very surprised if Redcloak got the upper hand in their clash.

NerfTW
2009-10-23, 09:30 PM
Of course it will. Most likely we'll get a run down of the plan or something. Just like when the Thieves Guild appeared in the comic. We just won't get the amount of detail that was in SoD. For instance, we might not hear *how* Right Eye died, just that it involved Red Cloak.

Don't forget there's also that nebulous daughter sent away, possibly to be raised by humans, that should show up.

Miklus
2009-10-23, 10:09 PM
There will be trouble in team evil at some point. I predict that Redcloak will pwn Xykon bigtime. Redcloak is a lot smarter than he is given credit for. He can plan ahead, and he has The Dark One on his side.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 10:52 PM
Honestly, I have extreme doubt that Redcloak's story will be all that relevant. Mr. Burlew has repeatedly said that not reading the prequels will not affect your enjoyment of the main strip, excluding the occasional referance.

I'd like to see what happend to Right-Eye's Daughter, though.

There will be trouble in team evil at some point. I predict that Redcloak will pwn Xykon bigtime. Redcloak is a lot smarter than he is given credit for. He can plan ahead, and he has The Dark One on his side.

Well...
Redcloak isn't strong enough to beat Xykon, Xykon has demonstrated he's rather smart too, Redcloak doesn't have the guts to admit he was at fault for all of the gonlin deaths, and The Dark One has had alot of bearers of the crimson mantle before. What's wrong with losing one more?

Kish
2009-10-23, 10:56 PM
Honestly, I have extreme doubt that Redcloak's story will be all that relevant. Mr. Burlew has repeatedly said that not reading the prequels will not affect your enjoyment of the main strip, excluding the occasional referance.
What he said, is that if and when information originally revealed in one of the printed books becomes relevant to the main story, it will be revealed in the online strip in enough detail for someone without the printed book to understand. That's what happened with Haley's past with the Greysky City Thieves' Guild.

Jagos
2009-10-23, 10:59 PM
I'm still wondering about RC's relatives...

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 11:06 PM
What he said, is that if and when information originally revealed in one of the printed books becomes relevant to the main story, it will be revealed in the online strip in enough detail for someone without the printed book to understand. That's what happened with Haley's past with the Greysky City Thieves' Guild.

Really? ><

I don't ever recall reading that. :smallredface:

Porthos
2009-10-23, 11:13 PM
Really? ><

I don't ever recall reading that. :smallredface:

It is in the introduction of Origins.

EDIT:::

Exact relevant excerpt:

Which is not to imply that these events "didn't happen", or will not impact the characters and plots of the main strip. Quite the opposite. It's just that should readers of the main strip ever NEED to know something contained in these backstories, it will probably just be summarized in the strip in question.