PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of...Dark Dungeons!

YvizztX23
2009-10-23, 07:33 PM
Some of you out there will be familiar with Jack Chick and his infamous "Tracts". And if you are, you probably know about one in particular...Dark Dungeons!

Published in the 80s as to put a Chick-itized thought on the RPG satanic panic of the time, the cartoon presents us with the similar story of kid plays D&D, kid gets possessed by demons and drawn into the occult, kid's friend commits suicide because of D&D, kid repents and is cleansed.

Of course, we all know, as people who actually play D&D and other RPGs, what meaningless drivel this is, but...D&D is still a bit notorious. It seems that when it comes to things like this, the only people who really understand the victim of claims like that are people who actually play the game on a regular basis, but of course, no one is going to listen to them. Surely not!

So, if you have experienced the horror that is Dark Dungeons, what do you think of it?

Dhavaer
2009-10-23, 07:39 PM
'Interesting' as Dark Dungeons is, I'm pretty sure Chick Tracts in general are a banned subject here.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-10-23, 07:44 PM
I'd like to rewrite to be more in line with real D&D.
"The rogue, Blackleaf, did not find the trap, and I declare her to be dead."
"What?"
"You're dead."
"Dude. You didn't even roll to-hit."
"Well, ye--"
"Or damage. I mean, do I even get a save?"

Really, the tract is about how bad railroading is.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-23, 07:46 PM
Yeah, this thread is almost sure to steer to the no-no topic of religion, seeing as that's what the tracts are: religious.

I'm willing to give it a shot to have a discussion without religion in it though!

So yeah, I read this every now and then for the lulz. There's really no other reason to read it, and if you own it it's only good as a) a collector's item b) kindling for a fire.

FoE
2009-10-23, 07:49 PM
Dieses thema ist verboten, herr YvizztX23.

YvizztX23
2009-10-23, 08:06 PM
Yeah, this thread is almost sure to steer to the no-no topic of religion, seeing as that's what the tracts are: religious.

I'm willing to give it a shot to have a discussion without religion in it though!

So yeah, I read this every now and then for the lulz. There's really no other reason to read it, and if you own it it's only good as a) a collector's item b) kindling for a fire.

No, I would not enact such a great breach of forum rules as to start off about religion. Bleh, I hate religious debates. :smallyuk:

And yes, I read it (and other Chick Tracts) for entertainment. Highly deranged entertainment, but entertainment nonetheless.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-23, 08:15 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't post religious tracts or discussion - not even when related to gaming.