PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Pally Question

arguskos
2009-10-23, 08:13 PM
Is there a "Mystic Paladin" variant anywhere? I am aware of the redundancy there, but I really like the Mystic Ranger, and was wondering if an equivalent Paladin feature existed anywhere. :smallconfused:

If not, would it be reasonable to create one, by losing, say, the Mount? What's a fair trade off?

Draz74
2009-10-23, 08:57 PM
Is there a "Mystic Paladin" variant anywhere? I am aware of the redundancy there, but I really like the Mystic Ranger, and was wondering if an equivalent Paladin feature existed anywhere. :smallconfused:

If not, would it be reasonable to create one, by losing, say, the Mount? What's a fair trade off?

It's not quite the same -- it doesn't gain spell slots of higher level than 4th -- but check out the Healing Spirit Variant Paladin from Dungeonscape. Trades the Mount for some more healing-themed magical abilities, some of them quite powerful.

The Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion is also the single best way to improve Paladin casting.

Flickerdart
2009-10-23, 08:58 PM
What exactly makes the Mystic Ranger so Mystic? And what book is he from?

arguskos
2009-10-23, 09:01 PM
It's not quite the same -- it doesn't gain spell slots of higher level than 4th -- but check out the Healing Spirit Variant Paladin from Dungeonscape. Trades the Mount for some more healing-themed magical abilities, some of them quite powerful.

The Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion is also the single best way to improve Paladin casting.
I already know about the Healing Spirit, which doesn't do anything involving spellcasting, and thus isn't relevant. Battle Blessing is a great boost, but you have to HAVE SPELLS for it to matter.

I want a variant that gives the Paladin the casting of a Mystic Ranger (which gets spells starting at level 1 and gets more of them, Flicker; I don't know the source), since Paladin casting is actually decent at times.

Eldariel
2009-10-23, 09:01 PM
What exactly makes the Mystic Ranger so Mystic? And what book is he from?

Dragon Magazine. And he's Mystic 'cause he gets real spellcasting starting from level 1 and gets 5th level spells (over normal Ranger's maximum of 4th levels) and gets them much earlier (gets 5th level spells around ~10).

Gives up martial skill like melee weapon proficiency, combat style feats and such for it along with animal companion and gets all class features a bit later.

Draz74
2009-10-23, 09:09 PM
I already know about the Healing Spirit, which doesn't do anything involving spellcasting, and thus isn't relevant. Battle Blessing is a great boost, but you have to HAVE SPELLS for it to matter.

I want a variant that gives the Paladin the casting of a Mystic Ranger (which gets spells starting at level 1 and gets more of them, Flicker; I don't know the source), since Paladin casting is actually decent at times.

Ah. So you would have preferred for me to post just "No." Sorry I tried to think creatively and be helpful. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Mystic Ranger is from Dragon #336.

arguskos
2009-10-23, 09:12 PM
Ah. So you would have preferred for me to post just "No." Sorry I tried to think creatively and be helpful. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Mystic Ranger is from Dragon #336.
Nah, you were helpful, I just already knew those things is all. Sorry if I sounded grouchy. :smalleek:

Shame there's no similar variant for pallys. What would be a fair trade to make one then, you think?

JonestheSpy
2009-10-23, 09:15 PM
Shame there's no similar variant for pallys. What would be a fair trade to make one then, you think?

I'd say just multiclass with cleric, and toss the rule that says you can't. Really, if there's one class paladins should be able to mulit with, that's it.

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-23, 09:16 PM
Excuse me for my confusion, but are you basically looking for a homebrewed, less-direct-combat, mountless yet magical holy person? >_>

Cause, I mean. You know. If that's the case, the answer is pretty simple.

arguskos
2009-10-23, 09:20 PM
Excuse me for my confusion, but are you basically looking for a homebrewed, less-direct-combat, mountless yet magical holy person? >_>

Cause, I mean. You know. If that's the case, the answer is pretty simple.
Kinda. I don't like the idea that clerics have combat skills (I dislike the heavily armored cleric image). Paladin is supposed to be the warrior of the gods kinda guy. Surely, some are better with spells than others, no?

And as for the implied sillyness, Mystic Ranger is basically a druid, no? It's a woodsey, nature-themed spellcaster. Why not play a druid? Because the mechanics don't appeal.

I think I'm better off just making one myself, and not bothering you fine folks any further. :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2009-10-23, 09:23 PM
Prestigious Paladin variant from Unearthed Arcana gives half-casting progression and all the Paladin goodies. It should give you some nice casting with a Cleric or even Archivist base. Favoured Soul wouldn't be bad either, and fluffs better.

arguskos
2009-10-23, 09:25 PM
Prestigious Paladin variant from Unearthed Arcana gives half-casting progression and all the Paladin goodies. It should give you some nice casting with a Cleric or even Archivist base. Favoured Soul wouldn't be bad either, and fluffs better.
..../facepalm. I totally forgot that even existed. Thanks for the catch, it's actually somewhat useful for my purposes. :smallamused:

Draz74
2009-10-23, 09:26 PM
Nah, you were helpful, I just already knew those things is all. Sorry if I sounded grouchy. :smalleek:

Sorry for taking offense where none was intended.

The hard part will be figuring out which spells to add to the Paladin's list, above Level 4 (or down at Level 0). But as far as fair trades ...

Lose the Mount.

Give Smite attacks at levels 2, 8, 14, and 20, just like the Mystic Ranger Favored Enemies.

Give Laying on of Hands at Level 3, Divine Grace at Level 4, Aura of Courage at Level 5, and Turn Undead at Level 7? Then, if anybody ever cares about the Remove Disease ability at all (unlikely), grant uses of it at levels 9, 13, and 17.

EDIT: Hmmm, I meant to mention the Prestige Paladin. Yeah, if that suits your taste, it's a lot easier than homebrewing a Mystic Paladin. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-10-23, 09:34 PM
Sorry for taking offense where none was intended.

The hard part will be figuring out which spells to add to the Paladin's list, above Level 4 (or down at Level 0). But as far as fair trades ...

Lose the Mount.

Give Smite attacks at levels 2, 8, 14, and 20, just like the Mystic Ranger Favored Enemies.

Give Laying on of Hands at Level 3, Divine Grace at Level 4, Aura of Courage at Level 5, and Turn Undead at Level 7? Then, if anybody ever cares about the Remove Disease ability at all (unlikely), grant uses of it at levels 9, 13, and 17.

EDIT: Hmmm, I meant to mention the Prestige Paladin. Yeah, if that suits your taste, it's a lot easier than homebrewing a Mystic Paladin. :smallsmile:
This is actually what I was looking for. I'm great at making classes, not so much at altering them any. As for higher level pally spells, I was thinking about the following as a base: mass cure light, disrupting weapon, righteous might, flame strike. Something like that, a decent amount of "I bring the righteous pain to your face" effects, which is what I feel the pally should have to begin with. Makes sense to me, but I'm weird. :smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-23, 10:30 PM
I'd say just multiclass with cleric, and toss the rule that says you can't. Really, if there's one class paladins should be able to mulit with, that's it.

I'm pretty sure there's no rule that says you can't multiclass between Cleric and Paladin. :smallconfused:

Unless you're referring to how a Paladin can't continue leveling as a Paladin if he takes levels in another class? Just ask your DM to houserule it. It's not like it's that important.

Mongoose87
2009-10-24, 12:59 AM
Would Prestige Paladin and Battle Blessing be compatible? If so, much win detected.

arguskos
2009-10-24, 01:10 AM
Would Prestige Paladin and Battle Blessing be compatible? If so, much win detected.
...I'd say no, since they aren't Paladin spells, they're Cleric spells progressed by Paladin levels. But, that's just me guessing.