PDA

View Full Version : RIP Okami

YvizztX23
2009-10-23, 08:26 PM
Well, the birthday of my favorite game is coming up in a few weeks...and no, I'm not talking about any well known game you probably think I am.

Okami. Okami, the inspiring, the original, the beautiful. Killed by the looming release of the PS3. Killed by Zelda: Twilight Princess (which I like, don't get me wrong!) and the fact that most gamers just didn't have place for another adventure game in their holiday season.

So, we, the few who decided try something else and play a less well known game were the only ones who experienced it, aside from the review companies who played it and loved it as well, will give our grief for this game.

So, now, we give our lament for the game the just couldn't be. There probably never will be another like Okami...

Yeah, I'm probably being slightly melodramatic, but...I just can't get over the fact that Okami is...dead.

EleventhHour
2009-10-23, 08:28 PM
Killed by the looming release of the PS3.

Wasn't that a few years ago now? :smallconfused:

...and didn't we recently have a thread for Okami 2, or something?

Cubey
2009-10-23, 08:42 PM
That's correct. There's a sequel in the making, it's for the DS and you control Chibiterasu, Ammy's pup. I'd post a picture but it'd melt your eyes out with sheer cuteness.

chiasaur11
2009-10-23, 08:45 PM
So, less RIP and more "WISE FROM YOUR GWAVE!"

Mando Knight
2009-10-23, 08:54 PM
Well, the birthday of my favorite game is coming up in a few weeks...and no, I'm not talking about any well known game you probably think I am.

Okami. Okami, the inspiring, the original, the beautiful. Killed by the looming release of the PS3. Killed by Zelda: Twilight Princess (which I like, don't get me wrong!) and the fact that most gamers just didn't have place for another adventure game in their holiday season.

So, we, the few who decided try something else and play a less well known game were the only ones who experienced it, aside from the review companies who played it and loved it as well, will give our grief for this game.

So, now, we give our lament for the game the just couldn't be. There probably never will be another like Okami...

Yeah, I'm probably being slightly melodramatic, but...I just can't get over the fact that Okami is...dead.

I have no idea where you came up with this. Okami was not only critically well-received on the PS2, but the PS3 wasn't produced in enough numbers to "kill" the system until just recently, and the game was also released on the Wii and gets a sequel. It's been called one of the best not-Legend of Zelda adventure games. That isn't dead.

YvizztX23
2009-10-23, 10:14 PM
I have no idea where you came up with this. Okami was not only critically well-received on the PS2, but the PS3 wasn't produced in enough numbers to "kill" the system until just recently, and the game was also released on the Wii and gets a sequel. It's been called one of the best not-Legend of Zelda adventure games. That isn't dead.

Okay, I told you that I was being ridiculously melodramatic. Yes, I know that it is not dead and is quite popular amongst a moderate number of fans and received rave reviews from multiple publications.

However, I did not know about any sequel. Trust me, I'm fanatical enough about it that I would probably know. Is there some link you can give me with more info on this? :smallconfused:

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 10:50 PM
Okay, I told you that I was being ridiculously melodramatic. Yes, I know that it is not dead and is quite popular amongst a moderate number of fans and received rave reviews from multiple publications.

However, I did not know about any sequel. Trust me, I'm fanatical enough about it that I would probably know. Is there some link you can give me with more info on this? :smallconfused:

Just google search "Okami 2."

It could be worse after all.

You could be a fan of Metal Arms, or BG&E, or Psychonauts, or Jet Grind Radio, or Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath..

YvizztX23
2009-10-23, 11:30 PM
Huh. Well, thank you good people of the giantitp forums, for revealing to me that there will be a sequel (of course, this is capcom we're talking about, so sooner or later there's going to be a sequel, or ten).

Mando Knight
2009-10-23, 11:52 PM
(of course, this is capcom we're talking about, so sooner or later there's going to be a sequel, or ten).

It is its destiny. I fully expect it to have spin-offs and not-integrally-numbered sequels. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OddlyNamedSequel)

YvizztX23
2009-10-24, 12:08 AM
It is its destiny. I fully expect it to have spin-offs and not-integrally-numbered sequels. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OddlyNamedSequel)

I'm really glad they are keeping integral characters like Issun and Sakuya, without whom the game really wouldn't be a sequel to Okami.

At first, when I heard about the sequel, I was a bit miffed, because Okami is sort of one of those games that is so unique that it really seems like it can and should happen once. I've seen the trailers now, though, and I am stoked! STOKED!

Enlong
2009-10-24, 12:17 AM

And several hundred rerelases of the first game (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CapcomSequelStagnation), right?

YvizztX23
2009-10-24, 12:17 AM
Well, now I feel like a total idiot for not being aware of the sequel for a month and a half. :smalltongue:

Heh. Anyway, now I can take out those banners I've had in the closet for so long. I made them planning for moment, in about ten years, when Capcom will pull a NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, and give us the sequel we'd been waiting for. Turns out I only had to wait a couple of years, though
:smalltongue::smalltongue::smalltongue:

YvizztX23
2009-10-24, 12:36 AM
And several hundred rerelases of the first game (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CapcomSequelStagnation), right?

I don't really think that Capcom does that anymore. Now, they simply like to have a lot of sequels *coughMegamanBattleNetworkcough*.

It would be quite amusing if they were to rerelease the original Okami on all modern consoles (the ones they haven't done it on yet, I mean).

Yora
2009-10-24, 04:00 AM
Good games can still be good games, if there are no sequels.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-24, 12:30 PM
Good games can still be good games, if there are no sequels.

Yeah, but once you've explored every nook and cranny, practically memorized the plot word for word, and could destroy every enemy with your eyes closed, you might want something new.

Yora
2009-10-24, 01:32 PM
yes, but I rather see something new, instead of having a closed story reopened again for no really good reason.
If the structure of a game, or movie, or book is well suited to tell other stories of the character, that's okay. But in most cases the story that is told is not just one episode amongst many, in the long life of the characters. And then, I think it's better to not force a new story with some of the same characters.

Though I don't know about Okami, as I still have not reached the end yet. :smallbiggrin:

Terraoblivion
2009-10-24, 01:56 PM
It ends with a pretty monumental plot hook for a sequel, really. Or rather something that can be used that way or just used to indicate that life goes on in a rather epic way.

Hermit
2009-10-24, 05:21 PM
Also, I reckon more people would have played the Wii version if they hadn't ballsed up the control scheme.

Oregano
2009-10-24, 05:27 PM
Also, I reckon more people would have played the Wii version if they hadn't ballsed up the control scheme.

It's not that bad really, the IR pointer works fine but waggle shouldn't have been used for attacks. Saying that though the Wii version is nearly at 200K sold.:smallbiggrin: Which means the total is nearly 350K.

Hermit
2009-10-24, 05:39 PM
It's not that bad really, the IR pointer works fine but waggle shouldn't have been used for attacks. Saying that though the Wii version is nearly at 200K sold.:smallbiggrin: Which means the total is nearly 350K.

Aye, it's the waggle for attack that killed it for me.

Doubly annoying because the recent Japan Wii version puts attack on A like a sensible game should.

Teln
2009-10-24, 07:08 PM
You kidding? The waggle for attacking was pretty clever, once you got used to it. Made rosary use a breeze.

YvizztX23
2009-10-24, 10:12 PM
You kidding? The waggle for attacking was pretty clever, once you got used to it. Made rosary use a breeze.

I agree. Both using the Wii remote as a brush and to attack was great. I have a feeling it has something more to do with PS2 vs. Wii than Control Scheme vs. Different Control Scheme, though...things like this usually are.

Honestly, aren't we civilized people of Giantitp beyond such things? :smallconfused:

YvizztX23
2009-10-24, 10:22 PM
yes, but I rather see something new, instead of having a closed story reopened again for no really good reason.
If the structure of a game, or movie, or book is well suited to tell other stories of the character, that's okay. But in most cases the story that is told is not just one episode amongst many, in the long life of the characters. And then, I think it's better to not force a new story with some of the same characters.

Though I don't know about Okami, as I still have not reached the end yet. :smallbiggrin:

Well, the thing is, is this: some would like to see the familiar setting and characters again, rather than something totally new. Take Forgotten Realms, for example. It's been around since 1st Edition. The fact that it has been released for every edition is a testament to the fact that people want to see it again and again. Of course, this is different from a video game, but the idea is the same: when we love a good game (like Okami) we sometimes rather have a new game in the same setting to a new game entirely. :smallwink:

And once you finish Okami, you'll see why the heart wrenching and spectacular ending scream SEQUEL!

KBF
2009-10-24, 10:41 PM
I agree. Both using the Wii remote as a brush and to attack was great. I have a feeling it has something more to do with PS2 vs. Wii than Control Scheme vs. Different Control Scheme, though...things like this usually are.

Honestly, aren't we civilized people of Giantitp beyond such things? :smallconfused:

Seeing as someone mentioned that they wish they did it like they did In Japan, on the Wii, I don't think it is a console war issue. At all. And if Okami 'died' it died a long while ago, and if it didn't die then, it didn't die at all because interest in the series is still pretty high at this point. And there's a sequel.

This thread seems kind of arbitrary. Why now, even? Why is an RIP Okami thread in order at this point, even if you didn't know how highly regarded Okami still was? Did something happen?

YvizztX23
2009-10-24, 11:51 PM
Seeing as someone mentioned that they wish they did it like they did In Japan, on the Wii, I don't think it is a console war issue. At all. And if Okami 'died' it died a long while ago, and if it didn't die then, it didn't die at all because interest in the series is still pretty high at this point. And there's a sequel.

This thread seems kind of arbitrary. Why now, even? Why is an RIP Okami thread in order at this point, even if you didn't know how highly regarded Okami still was? Did something happen?

Okay, I know Okami is highly regarded and much beloved by a moderate number of fans, as I posted above. I am also ashamed that the sequel has been announced for a month and a half without me knowing it.

Happy? :smallamused: