PDA

View Full Version : Question with 3.5 D&d

Arson514
2009-10-24, 12:13 AM
I am trying to level up a bard to level 17 and the dm is letting me redo my feats and spells what are some good spells or feats that will help my teammates out with increasing their ac. We are fixing to do battle with level 19 and 20 so anything to increase their ac or attack will be helpful. Or spells that will help me do more damagae... Btw I have masterwork bow so feats on that as well would be helpful thank you

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 12:15 AM
You're level 17 and only have a masterwork bow? :smallconfused:

My advice is simply this: If you have no clue about any spells at all, being level 17 probably isn't the best idea. Also, you are probably going to get a bunch of non-core spell suggestions, which means you'd need sourcebooks you probably don't have to know what they do.

sofawall
2009-10-24, 12:15 AM
This thread terrifies me.

Paulus
2009-10-24, 12:20 AM
I am trying to level up a bard to level 17 and the dm is letting me redo my feats and spells what are some good spells or feats that will help my teammates out with increasing their ac. We are fixing to do battle with level 19 and 20 so anything to increase their ac or attack will be helpful. Or spells that will help me do more damagae... Btw I have masterwork bow so feats on that as well would be helpful thank you

Well point blank shot, rapid shot, manyshot and such are always good for bows. If you are a bard, don't forget to max out your perform skill for your songs because songs as your level can give some nice benefits, and you may want to look into a master work instrument for whatever performance skill you use it can increase those benefits too!

Can't help too much more without more information. Whats the party makeup? What kind of game are you playing? What level did you start at etc

hope this helps!

sofawall
2009-10-24, 12:20 AM
I have other weapons as well that is just the weapon I have used to make it stronger. I am sorry don't remember everything off the top of my head. And yes I know some about spells the main thing is the feats I am unsure about I have heard that a bard can use feats to make a party stronger and that is I guess what I am really wondering about is just the feats.

I have no idea what you are saying. Type in a logical sentence order, please.

Also, do you have any +4 Flaming Shock Splitting bows or anything?

Or is your best weapon a masterwork bow?

Arson514
2009-10-24, 12:26 AM
Started at level 15. The party consist of a rouge, a fighter, and a wizard. Everyone in the party just made exp to level up to 17. I have the normal bard feats as of right now that could be found in the players handbook. My spells also are only from the players handbook. I have access to lots of other books. I just do not know which books to look for. The brad I am playing is so far used as a hang back and try to support the party while having some attack spells and weapons. My friend in the party was the one that told me that a bard if used right can raise the ac of the party and help with attack bonuses. Sorry that some of the stuff is pretty mixed up. Didn't really know how to post and ask the questions.

Eldariel
2009-10-24, 12:34 AM
List the books you have access to. That would be a start; everything really depends on what you're allowed to use. Also, AC isn't really what Bards shine at increasing. The better Bard songs help Damage, To Hit, HP and such; Inspire Heroics is pretty meh to use. Well, you could with proper equipment Inspire Heroics in up to 3 guys simultaneously, but that's about it.

Also, AC is pretty difficult to pump up on those levels; there better be lots of untyped AC bonuses and base AC equipment available if you plan on dodging attacks from CR ~20 encounters with it. Even level 20 caster-monsters like Pit Fiends and Balors have +30 in their attacks and more martial monsters like Black Wyrm, The Tarrasque and so on way exceed +40 even without buffs. That's a lot of AC you need to make Inspire Heroics worthwhile.

Arson514
2009-10-24, 12:40 AM
Words of Creation, Song of the Heart, Dragonfire Inspiration, Vest of Legends, Badge of Valor, Lingering Song, Song of the White Raven,
Those are some of the spells or items that I have atleast the ones I can remember. Can't remember all the little ones.

Ok so if can't help with the AC what are some good things to help with attacks. If you don't mind me asking

Eldariel
2009-10-24, 12:42 AM
Then you pretty much have everything you can use to pimp out your songs. Your Inspire Heroics will be granting +9 AC to 3 guys, your Inspire Courage will have ~+12 or so bonus to To Hit & Damage, etc.

herrhauptmann
2009-10-24, 01:21 AM

You're going from 15th to 17th level? Unless you dip into fighter or have a prestige class, you really shouldn't be getting any feats.

It would be a VERY good idea to list exactly what you have, items and feats, as well as allowed books (as already said).

If your main weapon is a magic melee weapon of some sort, and your backup is a mere masterwork bow, then you really shouldn't be wasting any spells or feats (very finite resources for you) trying to do ranged combat.
At your level, if you want to avoid getting hit, it's better to use miss chances than high AC. As stated, a lot of monsters that are CR appropriate will have attack bonuses of ~20, to make yourself tough to hit, you'd need to have an AC in the high 30s. This way they'll need an 17+ on the dice to hit you.
For the monsters that are actual melee creatures, you'll need even higher, mid 40s or better
It's possible to reach those at your level, but you really need to build for it from the get-go (deepwarden, and fist of the forest so you get your Con mod to AC twice). Or other stuff like that, better to just get some miss chances. Who cares if the mooks can hit you on a roll of 3, if you force them to roll 50% miss chance, followed by 30% each time they attack you.
For miss chance: Cloak of displacement, blur, blink, blinded enemies, etc. But there's a few threads that list every possible way to get miss chance http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128894&highlight=miss+chances