PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking forward to Torchlight

LonelyTower
2009-10-24, 08:03 AM
Dragon Age is getting a lot of attention since it is coming out soon, it's Bioware and all that. There is also Torchlight (http://www.torchlightgame.com/), by Runic Games (yah, the group that worked on Mythos at Flagship before they have to bail because the whole ship sunk).

There are some interesting features - a pet (cat or dog), a mod editor right out from the box and diablo-like gameplay.

Anyone know more about this game?

Hermit
2009-10-24, 08:16 AM
It looks pretty decent from the trailers, and given I enjoy this type of game I already stuck in a preorder (Gamersgate (http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-TL/torchlight) has it for under £12 for UK peoples).

Hoping the mod toolset is pretty comprehensive, could see myself making use of it. My only complaint thus far is that it's purely single player - no multiplayer Coop at all. That's a bit of a shame, since games like Diablo and Titan Quest are always more fun when you team up with mates. The Devs have said they're working on an MMO version set in the same universe, though.

Bad Situation
2009-10-28, 11:05 PM
I just got it and my Alchemist is pretty sweet so far.

I'm not ashamed to say I chose him because he was big and flashy and had a sweet looking gauntlet. I haven't regretted my decision so far.

The Evil Thing
2009-10-29, 06:49 AM
I played the demo and by God I can't believe how much this game is channelling Diablo. Also, the pet is perhaps the single most useful thing I've seen in an RPG. Its brilliance is on the "why didn't I think of that?" level. Seriously, selling your items while continuing your dungeon crawl? Genius.

I declare that all future hack and slash RPGs need this mechanic if they plan on receiving my money.

This is just the sort of game we need to tide us over until Diablo 3 comes out. But it had better come with a pet.

My only complaint thus far is that it's purely single player - no multiplayer Coop at all. That's a bit of a shame, since games like Diablo and Titan Quest are always more fun when you team up with mates. The Devs have said they're working on an MMO version set in the same universe, though.
Not much of a hermit are you? :smallwink:
I must disagree. If I'm playing single player I can take as much time as I like doing something, rather than feeling incredibly guilty as it stand still for five minutes comparing the stats between these seven rings in my inventory and weighing their usefulness.

Hermit
2009-10-29, 12:06 PM
I must disagree. If I'm playing single player I can take as much time as I like doing something, rather than feeling incredibly guilty as it stand still for five minutes comparing the stats between these seven rings in my inventory and weighing their usefulness.

Multiplayer is always a nice feature though.

That said, been playing this single player and it is indeed awesome. Also rolled an Alchemist due to my love of flashy spells, and I've settled down into a rather nice dual wielding wand setup. Wasn't sure how useful transforming the pet was going to be, but there's some pretty awesome transformations I've come across so far.

I'm not sure you could make the music any more reminidscent of Diablo if you tried. Not like that's a bad thing, mind.

BlackSheep
2009-10-29, 12:31 PM
I've already played Fate and the expansion. This just looks like a prettier version. What, if any, are the major differences/additions?

lobablob
2009-10-29, 02:22 PM
I've already played Fate and the expansion. This just looks like a prettier version. What, if any, are the major differences/additions?

I would say that torchlight is heavily based upon fate, although drastically improved (Fate was a good game though).

For one thing, the random level generation is massively superior, the levels feel a lot better designed, like they have been carefully put together, its definitely the best random level generation I've seen.

I would also say that the skills are more varied than in fate and they are a lot more fun to use.

It also has more of a storyline than fate did, it has a series of non random quests building up to the final boss fight (Which is a nice challenge). The story quests aren't the greatest ever, but better than having none as with fate.

There are other small improvements, for example, automatically picking up gold when you move over it is a time saver, but overall it just has better levels and better gameplay, it is definitely worth buying if you enjoyed fate.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-29, 04:07 PM
I watched the trailer and found it to be incredibly ... boring? It's not that I see fault with the gameplay, it just struck me as far too much attacks that looked pretty much the same being executed by subtly different character models. There were a couple of terrain variations, but they could have just been looping it every 30 seconds between the text blocks and I wouldn't have noticed.

Am I doing it wrong (I am aware that I am)?

Optimystik
2009-10-29, 05:02 PM
It's $20. That's all that needs to be said.

Seriously, buy it.

Hermit
2009-10-29, 05:32 PM
Also, if anyone's in two minds, there's a pretty generous demo up on Steam.

oyhr
2009-10-29, 07:32 PM
Multiplayer is always a nice feature though.

That said, been playing this single player and it is indeed awesome. Also rolled an Alchemist due to my love of flashy spells, and I've settled down into a rather nice dual wielding wand setup. Wasn't sure how useful transforming the pet was going to be, but there's some pretty awesome transformations I've come across so far.

I'm not sure you could make the music any more reminidscent of Diablo if you tried. Not like that's a bad thing, mind.

I'm going with Wand/Shield combination. Dual wielding doesn't seem to be worth losing the defensive bonus at all.

Bad Situation
2009-10-30, 12:33 AM
That said, been playing this single player and it is indeed awesome. Also rolled an Alchemist due to my love of flashy spells.

Yeah, I've been having fun with my Imba-lance. Arcane is a fun tree, will try Battle next.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-30, 02:10 AM
Also, if anyone's in two minds, there's a pretty generous demo up on Steam.

I neither have nor desire steam.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-30, 02:29 AM
I neither have nor desire steam.

Fyi its a pretty simple installation. If you want to play a demo its not a big deal.

I will probably be downloading this demo tomorrow.

oyhr
2009-10-30, 04:47 AM
Fyi its a pretty simple installation. If you want to play a demo its not a big deal.

Steam's UI is so invasive, though. Taking up too much space and constantly opening itself.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-30, 03:15 PM
My goodness. I had heard that it was similar to Diablo, but man, this practically is diablo.

Planning on buying this sometime in the coming weeks. Would buy it now, but I already have Borderlands to keep me preoccupied for many many more hours.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-30, 07:24 PM

*Shrug*

I am probably the only gamer on this planet who has no intention of being associated with Valve in any way. In fact, I only owned the Orange Box (my only valve purchase ever) briefly, had a little fun with portal, tried halflife 2, got bored of halflife 2 then sold it to a second hand place.

Plus my computer is hopeless anyway :smallamused: My only reason for attending this thread however, is not to troll as I fear I am doing, but just because I didn't quite see that trailer as a reason to be excited and was wondering why it was >.>

BRC
2009-10-30, 07:30 PM
I'm playing the demo right now. It's a great killing time game, but I don't think it's good enough to warrent $20 of my impoverished college student money.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-30, 07:39 PM
I never really understand how some people could hate valve. Not that I am trying to put words in your mouth, but "I neither have nor desire steam." and "I am probably the only gamer on this planet who has no intention of being associated with Valve in any way." kind of imply it.

The only person who has ever really made me question Valves methods was Randy Pitchford with this interview. (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/randy_pitchford_talks_borderlands_piracy_and_why_h e_doesn%E2%80%99t_trust_valve?page=0,0) But then his team went with Gamespy for Borderlands online stuff, and I realized how much better it would have been had they just used steam servers.

Also, I just remembered that I kind of committed to a "no more buy games till I finish my backlog" thing, so this game will have to wait. :smallfrown:

nooblade
2009-10-31, 12:48 AM
The DRM-related argument that you don't exactly own the game is ever-present and applies to Steam, I think. I get a bit annoyed by the popular convention of "carefully aligned information sold to and then stored in the customer's machine still belongs to this company". I'd rather customize it.

Well, I'm mostly just mad that the Torchlight demo has annoyingly long loading screens, an occasional lag, and choppy sound with the lowest ticks in graphics settings for my computer (it's not a netbook, just a little old, but I tried that setting).

Oh well. I didn't have time to play it anyway.

Edit: If Steam is going to attempt to update itself every time I fiddle with this demo, it is getting dropkicked.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-31, 01:48 AM
I never really understand how some people could hate valve. Not that I am trying to put words in your mouth, but "I neither have nor desire steam." and "I am probably the only gamer on this planet who has no intention of being associated with Valve in any way." kind of imply it.

The only person who has ever really made me question Valves methods was Randy Pitchford with this interview. (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/randy_pitchford_talks_borderlands_piracy_and_why_h e_doesn%E2%80%99t_trust_valve?page=0,0) But then his team went with Gamespy for Borderlands online stuff, and I realized how much better it would have been had they just used steam servers.

Also, I just remembered that I kind of committed to a "no more buy games till I finish my backlog" thing, so this game will have to wait. :smallfrown:

Well as I said, I'm not saying that I am in any way the majority. Nor do I in any way begrudge that vast majority of gamers who enjoy their products, I've just never played a valve game I liked except Portal and I considered that to be HIGHLY overrated (especially the humour aspect, I didn't laugh/giggle/think 'oh that's funny' once).

It's my choice and I wouldn't expect you to begrudge me over it if I don't begrudge you.

Anyway </leavesthreadbecauseI'mhorriblyofftopic>

BlackSheep
2009-10-31, 12:37 PM
I would say that torchlight is heavily based upon fate, although drastically improved (Fate was a good game though).

For one thing, the random level generation is massively superior, the levels feel a lot better designed, like they have been carefully put together, its definitely the best random level generation I've seen.

I would also say that the skills are more varied than in fate and they are a lot more fun to use.

It also has more of a storyline than fate did, it has a series of non random quests building up to the final boss fight (Which is a nice challenge). The story quests aren't the greatest ever, but better than having none as with fate.

There are other small improvements, for example, automatically picking up gold when you move over it is a time saver, but overall it just has better levels and better gameplay, it is definitely worth buying if you enjoyed fate.

Thanks, lobablob. I didn't know they added a storyline to it. That'll go a long way for me. Fate was cute, but I tend not to favor games that make me create my own stories.

I wonder if people have already started deep delving Torchlight...

oyhr
2009-10-31, 10:35 PM
Well as I said, I'm not saying that I am in any way the majority. Nor do I in any way begrudge that vast majority of gamers who enjoy their products, I've just never played a valve game I liked except Portal and I considered that to be HIGHLY overrated (especially the humour aspect, I didn't laugh/giggle/think 'oh that's funny' once).

It's my choice and I wouldn't expect you to begrudge me over it if I don't begrudge you.

Anyway </leavesthreadbecauseI'mhorriblyofftopic>

Released by Valve and made by Valve are two entirely different things. Many devs use it as a way to get distribution and publicity at the same time.

Jibar
2009-11-01, 05:17 AM
Downloaded the demo but it refuses to load.
Wow.
At £15 though I am kinda tempted. For someone who never really played Diablo, what's this play like then?

Moonshadow
2009-11-01, 05:56 AM
It's... surprisingly good. I like it a lot to be honest, but it is pretty much a prettier Diablo 1.

If you've played this type of game before, I'd advise playing on Hard difficulty, cuz Normal is frankly, quite easy :smallsmile:

toasty
2009-11-03, 06:40 AM
Thank you so much for telling me about this game! I haven't had me a good Hack-n-slash since Diablo II. And, personally, I prefer the prettier, more Steampunk, and less "gloom and doom" atmosphere that this game is chanelling.

Actually, it is somehow reminding me of an older Hack-n-slash that I completely loved: Silver. Is that the case with anyone els?

Hunter Noventa
2009-11-03, 01:42 PM
I found myself playing it for hours on a Vanquisher last night. Explosive shot is absolutely amazing.

The only real problems are the screen can get kind of cluttered when things get intomelee, and the loading screens. Though apparently they're fixing the latter problems.

Also, they're basically putting the game out to make enough money to make the enging into an MMO I hear, whouch would be interesting. A free to play with microtransactions MMO at that. I can only hope whent hey get to that point that there's a bit more character customization.

Varen_Tai
2009-11-03, 03:23 PM
The reason why this game channels Diablo so much is because the developers are the same ones that created Diablo. And the music that sounds so much like it? Yeah, the same guy who write the music for Diablo. Good stuff.

Really enjoying my Alchemist who is surrounded by minions, minions, and more minions so far. :)

toasty
2009-11-03, 07:30 PM
Also, they're basically putting the game out to make enough money to make the enging into an MMO I hear, whouch would be interesting. A free to play with microtransactions MMO at that. I can only hope whent hey get to that point that there's a bit more character customization.

I've yet to hear of one of those that sounds interesting, but this game IS really cool, so I'll keep an eye out...