PDA

View Full Version : a wizard's animated mansion

Brendan
2009-10-24, 08:05 AM
In a character of mine's backstory, they buy a large house with the profits of a successful robbery. The house was owned by a wizard. The wizard had (unbeknownst to me) animated it as a safety precaution. The mansion later decided that I had stolen it and drove me out. assuming this is a large mansion, what would the CR be, and what size type? Assume that the house is filled with loot and traps (due to my paranoia). What level would the caster who animated and awakened it be?

AstralFire
2009-10-24, 08:14 AM
In a character of mine's backstory, they buy a large house with the profits of a successful robbery. The house was owned by a wizard. The wizard had (unbeknownst to me) animated it as a safety precaution. The mansion later decided that I had stolen it and drove me out. assuming this is a large mansion, what would the CR be, and what size type? Assume that the house is filled with loot and traps (due to my paranoia). What level would the caster who animated and awakened it be?

It would be a Colossal Construct. Strictly by the book, you need a caster level of 32 in order to animate a CR 10, and animated objects have a pretty bland set of abilities here, so honestly I think you're better off just making stuff up. I would say giving it abilities depends entirely on if you want the house to attack people like it was a giant ox or if you want it to attack people inside - either way, a CR of 10-12ish does feel appropriate. I would say a wizard with the Craft Wondrous Items feat and access to Animate Objects can make it, which I think puts a Wizard at 11, a Sorc at 12, and a Bard at 16.

Brendan
2009-10-24, 09:55 AM
the house itself, and all objects inside (wardrobe, sheets, kitchen implements, etc.) is alive. All of it.