PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Item Master Extraordinaire (Eberron Artisan Feats)

Defiant
2009-10-24, 09:03 AM
Introduction - The Feats

I was browsing through my books for feats when I found the following feats in Eberron:

Extraordinary Artisan - Reduce gp cost for item creation by 25%
Legendary Artisan - Reduce XP cost for item creation by 25%

And then I saw the little "2" superscript beside them. Lower down I read:

2 - You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

So I thought this is amazing!! Take Legendary Artisan 4 times and you no longer have to pay XP costs. Take Extraordinary Artisan 4 times and you no longer have to pay any costs!

RAW Wizard - Free Items

So I decided to figure out how early you could have such an incredible wizard. Let's say we'll take these 8 feats, plus 1 other item-creation feat (since Scribe Scroll isn't all that useful). It would be best to just go straight wizard for the bonus feats. How early can we do it?

By RAW (human): 1, 1H, 3, 5W, 6, 9, 10W, 12, 15

A level 15 wizard will be able to create X at no costs whatsoever, so long as he has the time to do it. A good item-creation feat would be something like Craft Wondrous Item. Then you create for yourself ridiculously powerful items at no cost.

Lenience Wizard - Free Items

But what about with some lenience? Take 2 flaws, exchange familiar for a feat, and you get: 1, 1H, 1F, 1F, 1f, 3, 5W, 6, 9

As early as a level 9 wizard you can create yourself any and every item of a particular type (again, wondrous being the most logical choice due to variability) at absolutely no costs whatsoever!

RAW Unlimited Income

But then I thought about it, and then realized the fact that you can sell these items. Then you only need 4 times Legendary Artisan and 1 time Extraordinary Artisan, and not even any item creation feat (you have Scribe Scroll), and you will have a limitless income of money.

This is because the costs to create an item equal half of the market value, and you can sell an item at half the market value. However, when your costs fall below that mark, you can then create items and sell them at a higher cost than it took to make them. Use scrolls with your Scribe Scroll feat, and you can do this by RAW as early as: 1, 1H, 3, 5W, 6; level 6. Then you'll still be able to purchase any item whatsoever, technically.

Ending Remarks

So what do you all think about this? Cheese on the same level as pun-pun? Well, of course it is if true, but is there anything that I've missed that makes it not work that way by RAW?

(for easier readability and structure, I've placed superfluous titles... since formatting didn't seem to be doing that for me)

Grumman
2009-10-24, 09:10 AM
Unlike Improved Damage Reduction, this is only mentioned in the summary, not the text. Given how incredibly abusive it would be, there's no way in hell I'd let anyone take the feat more than once.

Douglas
2009-10-24, 09:16 AM
Yes, this is quite cheesy and ridiculous. That's why errata removed that little footnote and made it so each feat can only be taken once.

Before the errata it was especially ridiculous with high level Artificers. They could actually take all three feats four times each, reducing crafting costs to 0 gold, 0 xp, and 0 time, making it possible to craft any item they could instantaneously for free - and they also got just about every crafting feat in existence as bonus feats plus the ability to ignore spellcasting requirements by making a UMD check. Oh, you want a +5 Vorpal sword? Let me pull one out of thin air, it'll only take a moment...

sofawall
2009-10-24, 10:58 AM
Back before the Errata I always treated it as 0.75*0.75*0.75*0.75=32% cost.

Bayar
2009-10-24, 11:52 AM
Honestly, i dunno why would you bother with a wizard when an artificier could do this so much better. Arcane and divine spell acces ? Faster than anyone else ? Yes please.

Not to mention Psionic artificiers.

But it got errata'd to no longer stack. And it doesnt stack with each other either (meaning you dont use the 75 % price to determine the 75 % Xp cost).

Magnor Criol
2009-10-24, 04:28 PM
But it got errata'd to no longer stack. And it doesnt stack with each other either (meaning you dont use the 75 % price to determine the 75 % Xp cost).

Bloody errata, taking all our fun.

Honestly, I think the stacking rule (like sofawall listed) is more fun; I'd probably allow this as a DM, even if it is a little abusable.

Bayar
2009-10-24, 05:30 PM
Bloody errata, taking all our fun.

Honestly, I think the stacking rule (like sofawall listed) is more fun; I'd probably allow this as a DM, even if it is a little abusable.

Little abusable ? You basically become the guy who pulls anything out of his ass. Need food ? Create food trap appears in your hands as a free action. Need lots of water ? Decanter of endless water as a free action, in your hands. Have divine might on yourself and you can make 4 attacks ? Hell, you could craft 4 different weapons as a free action that appear in your hands (because it is presumed you are using your hands to craft stuff), hit the enemy with each weapon, dropping the previous weapon as a free action.

And this doesnt end here. Want an airship ? You now have it. A spelljammer? Done. You are so l33t, you can craft your own money without paying anything ! How about a castle ? Yup. want a castle that will extend towards the sky ? No problem. You could extend that bitch all the way into the outer planes with good craft checks and a necklace of adaptation (that you just made).