PDA

View Full Version : Social skill monkey

Thefurmonger
2009-10-24, 09:14 AM
Hi all.

So I'm joining a new campaign and we are all starting at 1st lvl.

The campaign will not be high powered (One of them is playing a Sorc/Cloistered Cleric/MT)

Thus far we will have

A Dwarf Rogue
A Dwarf Fighter/Dwarven Defender
A Elf Duskblade
A Human MT (see above)
A Human Barbarian/Fighter (Lion Totem going super charger/Sunder Machine, Also my RL Wife)
And my character a Human Beguiller.

The Campaign is in the Realms and we will be spending most of our time in (And we start in) Waterdeep.

The DM has said it will be a mostly Urban Campaign with some adventures takeing us outside the city or into dungeons.

So far I'm looking at Begullier 5/Mindbender 1 (Mindsight)/ Beguiller 7+

My stats are

STR 15
DEX 17
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 15
CHA 16
(Yeah they are quite high, he has a forgiving way of us rolling)

Anyway Im looking at for feats

1st: Spell Focus Enchant
Human: Shadow Weave Magic
3rd: Obtain Famillier (Raven? Is there a better one for City Spying)
6th: Mindsight

For Skills Im thinking this 6 Base+ 4 Int+ 1 Human

Bluff
Diplomacy
Gather Information
Concentration
Listen
Spot
Slight of Hand
Sense Motive
UMD
Knowledge Local (when I get the famillier this will ensure it doesnt get lost in waterdeep)

Thats about it, the DM has said he will allow flaws but that they must actually hurt the character and fit in as far as RP goes.

Any ideas to make it better would be great.

HereticNox
2009-10-24, 09:58 AM
If you are open to race/build changes

If you are going to be heavily relying on social skills, and feinting in combat for your cloaked casting. Also if you are set on your race/build then you could be a changeling, from races of eberron . You could also take a the substitution level for changeling rogue for the social intuition ability. Basically skill mastery for Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, & Sense Motive in one class feature. Plus you start with 10 +your intelligence modifier so you don't lose many skill points ,if any I haven't done the math.

The negative is that it lowers casting level, unless you take a two flaws and practiced spellcaster, which might not be reasonable. The worst is you lose 6 level spells to next level.

This mostly depends on what exactly you are going for in flavor. Best suited for the face of the party. It might be useful for more RP minded players in an urban game.

Thefurmonger
2009-10-24, 10:04 AM
Yeah i had looked at changling but as a Realms campaign the Dm wants to keep Ebberon only races out (Changling, Warforged, etc)

Also, does anyone know of any good PRCs for this stuff?

FMArthur
2009-10-24, 10:13 AM
Changeling is the one Eberron race that really should be in any D&D campaign setting that contains both humans and doppelgangers. Luckily, it is also in a non-eberron source! Monster Manual III has changelings and a 'changelings as player characters' part.

Eldariel
2009-10-24, 10:18 AM
You should have 11 skills maxed. You only have 10. Going social? Take a look at Intimidate; it should come in handy. Also, even as a caster, Tumble is not something to overlook.

Spell Focus: Enchantment seems quite weak unless you're taking it as a prerequisite. If you were good you could get Nymph's Kiss instead, but I suppose that does not go with Mindbender - see if your DM enforces the alignment restrictions though. Also, consider metamagic feats, the Complete Mage school feats (Unsettling Enchantment & al.) and eventually of course Rapid Metamagic.

It's also worth considering something that would enhance your spell list; particularly with that Wis you could make great use of the Arcane Disciple-feat [Complete Divine].

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-24, 10:19 AM
Changeling is the one Eberron race that really should be in any D&D campaign setting that contains both humans and doppelgangers. Luckily, it is also in a non-eberron source! Monster Manual III has changelings and a 'changelings as player characters' part.

MM3 also has the Warforged. (pointless note) :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2009-10-24, 10:22 AM
Circlet of persuasion, +3 to all cha skills and cha checks, 4500 gp, DMG.

Thefurmonger
2009-10-24, 10:59 AM
Yeah for some reason I had left my last skill off, I was thinking of either Appraise for buying and selling, or Knowledge Nobility and Royalty for the synergey with Diplo.

As for the Spell focus Enchant, Higher DCs are always better, but if you guys have a better Idea for feats (remember I can take flaws) please let me know.

Also is Raven the best famillier you can think of?

Thefurmonger
2009-10-24, 11:00 AM
Last note, is there a feat to gain more skill points? I see one that gives a flat 5, but wow is that crappy.

sofawall
2009-10-24, 11:05 AM
Nymph-touched.

EDIT: Also, take a Hummingbird familiar. It's in one of the Dragon Mags (cannot recall which) but it gives a bonus to init.

Magnor Criol
2009-10-24, 04:32 PM
Check out skill tricks in Complete Scoundrel, if you have access to it. Of particular use to you here are some of the 'mass skill' tricks; there's both a mass bluff and a mass intimidate.

Bakkan
2009-10-24, 05:20 PM
A couple suggestions but only if you are open to significant build changes:

Warlock 1 will get you access to Beguiling Influence, which grants you an untyped +6 to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate (and you can have it on all day!)

The feat Sociable Personality in Races of Destiny lets you reroll any Diplomacy or Gather Information check (once), but it requires that you be a Half-Elf.

ericgrau
2009-10-24, 08:03 PM
Last note, is there a feat to gain more skill points? I see one that gives a flat 5, but wow is that crappy.

Does beguiler qualify for loremaster? You get 4 + int skill points per level and some special ability options to get more.

jiriku
2009-10-24, 08:13 PM
Actually, for a party face in an un-optimized game, what you've built is outstanding. Good job. You're getting some good advice from other posters, but honestly, what they're suggesting is merely optimization tweaks on top of a solid, functional build. I think spell selection and skillful roleplaying are going to do more for you now than any build tweaks can.

If I were to recommend anything, it would be that you consider taking the Disguise and Forgery skills. Those skills, combined with a hat of disguise (1000g, DMG), the odd illusion, and clever roleplaying will greatly expand your options in a lot of situations.

Thefurmonger
2009-10-24, 08:52 PM
Again I want to thank everyone for your help and oppinions.

I'm more then likley going to stay with human for the RP more then any other reason.

Nymph's Kiss looks like exactly what im looking for except that it is exaulted.

I'm going to ask the DM if he will wave either that or the non-good of mindbender as I would love to play as good but sadly REALLY want teleph/mindsight.

One more time, thank you too all.