PDA

View Full Version : Ragemind [PrC, PEACH]

Eldan
2009-10-24, 09:53 AM
The Ragemind

Some will tell you that all psionicists are quiet types, meditating on stone pillars, contemplating the depths of their own minds and staring at crystals. Well, that's Fhorgecrap. If they told me that, I would take this axe here and bury it in their skulls.
Psionic power is about mental strenght. And there is nothing stronger in all the rings than pure, white-hot burning rage. You can channel your wrath to run a mile with four arrows in your gut and then sunder the walls of a castle with your bare hands. I've done that, and it's a fine deed.
But you can also take all your rage, and your defiance and your pride and hurl it at your enemy. Splintering your enemies mind with yours is no less satisfying than splitting his skull with your sword, nor less honourable. The mind is just another weapon to wield.

-Hrashkar Thunderdream, Ragemind

Prerequisites:
To qualify for the ragemind prestige class, a character must fulfill the following prerequisities:

Base Attack Bonus: +5

Skills:
Intimidate 9 ranks, Concentration 7 ranks

Feats:
Intimidating Rage

Psionics:
Able to manifest 2nd level powers.

Class Features:
Wild Surge +2

Class Skills:
A Ragemind's class skills are: Autohypnosis (wis), Climb (str), Concentration (Con), Craft (int), Handle Animal (cha), Intimidate (cha), Listen (wis), Jump (str), Profession (wis), Psicraft (int), Spot (wis), Survival (wis) and Swim (str).

Skill points at each level:
4+int modifier

Hit Die: 1d10

The Ragemind
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers Known

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Psychic Rage, Wild Surge|+1 level of existing manifesting class

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Delay Enervation|+1 level of existing manifesting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Improved Intimidating Rage +1|+1 level of existing manifesting class

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Channel Rage +1/+2|+1 level of existing manifesting class

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Unbreakable Mind|+1 level of existing manifesting class

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Improved Intimidating Rage +2|+1 level of existing manifesting class

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Burning Mind|+1 level of existing manifesting class

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+5|Channel Rage +2/+4|+1 level of existing manifesting class

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Improved Intimidating Rage +3|+1 level of existing manifesting class

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Overwhelming Rage|+1 level of existing manifesting class [/table]

Psychic Rage: At first level, the Ragemind learns a new kind of barbarian rage, the psychic rage, which he can enter instead of his regular rage. His ragemind and barbarian levels stack to determine how many times per day he can enter psychic rage.
While in psychic rage, he gains a +4 bonus to his strenght and charisma scores, a +2 bonus to will saves and a -2 to armor class. These boni replace the normal boni from barbarian rage. His psychic rage lasts for 3 rounds, plus a number of rounds equal to his charisma bonus. At the end of this duration, the Ragemind is fatigued, or, if he was already fatigued at the begnning of psychic rage, exhausted.
The ragemind retains his ability to manifest psychic powers while in psychic rage, as well as his ability to attain psionic focus, be psionically focused and use feats which require him to expend his psionic focus.

Wild Surge: The ragemind's levels stack with his wilder levels to determine the strenght of his wild surge.

Delay Enervation: At second level, the ragemind gains the power to temporarily ignore the effects of psychic enervation. Whenever he uses a wild surge while raging and is affected by psychic enervation, he can choose to delay the daze effect until the end of his rage, but when doing so, takes one point of damage per turn per level added by the wild surge. The damage from several uses of delay enervation is added up.

Improved Intimidating Rage: At third level, the ragemind can affect a second target with his intimidating rage, and an additional target every third level after that.

Channel Rage: Whenever a ragemind of 4th level manifests a psionic power on a target demoralized by his intimidating rage, he adds +1 to the DC of all saving throws against these powers, and gains a +2 bonus to his manifester level check to overcome power resistance. These boni increase to +2 to DC and +4 to manifester level checks at 8th level.

Unbreakable Mind: At 5th level, while raging, the Ragemind gains a bonus to his will save equal to his charisma modifier. This replaces the normal +2 to will save he would gain while raging.

Burning Mind: Whenever a raging Ragemind of 7th level successfully makes his saving throw against any mind-affecting power, spell or effect, the manifester (or caster) of that power takes 1d6 points of damage, and must make a saving throw equal to 10+the Ragemind's class +his charisma bonus level or be dazed until the end of his next round.

Overwhelming Rage: At 10th level, the boni gained by psychic rage increase to a +6 bonus to strenght and charisma and is no longer fatigued at the end of his psychic rage. Furthermore, the targets of his intimidating rage, at the time they are first affected by it, must make a saving throw equal to 10+the Ragemind's class +his charisma bonus or be dazed until the end of their next round.

So. My first attempt at a psionic class. Any thoughts?

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 09:58 AM
What's the HD on this thing?

As for this... it seems kind of powerful. Granted, it requires a one level dip in barbarian, but in exchange you get full BAB, a good fort save, and a bunch of other abilities, including dazing four people a round with his intimidating rage. Still, it's not amazing, but since most PrCs already lose manifesting levels, it's certainly on the stronger end.

Eldan
2009-10-24, 10:30 AM
Ah, the intention was not dazing four people/turn, but dazing them when they are first affected.
Hit Die... D10. I thought I had added that somewhere. Perhaps a d8 would be more appopropriate, I'm not sure.
Anything else that seems too powerful?
Also, it is for the Wilder, which I always thought was seen as not that strong.

Edit: changed the text on Overwhelming Rage. That better?

Gorgondantess
2009-10-24, 12:17 PM
While full manifesting PrCs are generally unheard of, it actually seems rather balanced, especially if it's wilder only. Compared to the eldritch knight, you can get into the class a total of one level earlier, but you're also using a subpar class, so it balances out nicely.

Milskidasith
2009-10-24, 12:33 PM
In exchange for a one level dip and a feat, you get a nice rage and a free action save or suck for a round against four people when you enter said rage, plus better HP and BAB. It's a bit powerful for a PrC, but being a wilder class, I'm going to say that it seems fair enough.

Cieyrin
2009-10-24, 01:04 PM
You can get into this without being a Wilder, though that's by way of Anarchic Initiate for 7 levels to get enough Wild Surge. That's probably not a real concern, anyways, as that's having to be 13th level or so before getting in, which isn't what's intended here.

Tiny discrepancy between Psychic Rage and Overwhelming Rage, in that you're exhausted at the end of Psychic Rage and Overwhelming says you're no longer fatigued. So, are we saying no exhaustion or is exhaustion reduced to fatigue?

Eldan
2009-10-24, 01:06 PM
Would a base attack requirement either requiring a second barbarian level or more wilder levels be okay?
Also, since this has skill requirements, it can only be entered at sixth level anyway, like most PrCs. There's also the feat, but you need it anyway for this class. Any other ideas for requirements?

Edit: actually, psychic rage was intended to make you fatigued. But if people think it's so strong, should we leave that in? Also, a first draft only had +4 STR and CHA, instead of CON as well. Should I change that back?

Cieyrin
2009-10-25, 11:38 AM
If you want it to be fatigued at the end, I'd drop it back to Str and Cha. Con would be out of place for something that seems to be almost a purely mental release (though the same could be said for any rage ability but I digress...).

Putting on a BAB requirement would have to be like BAB +5 to force it up to 6th level entry as a Wilder 4/Barbarian 2. It may be appropriate, as you can Psychic Rage with normal Rage for +8 Str and +4 Con & Cha, not to mention maybe throwing in Maenad Outburst for another +2 Str for +10.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Eldan
2009-10-25, 02:15 PM
I included the increased requirements and removed constitution from the rage. Should I also include a line that it can't be used together with an other kind of rage, or is it fine like it is?