PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Mario games

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-24, 03:10 PM
So ablout that Super Mario then, eh? Anybody else here as big a fanboy of him as I am? :smallwink:

What are your favourite games in that series and it's sub-series? Mine personally are:

1: Super Mario Galaxy. It looked very pretty and was a great deal of fun to play.
2: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Probably had the best humour of any Mario RPG. At least all the ones I've played. Had a pretty damn good plot, too.
3 Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. Another great gem of gaming. I found the gameplay the best in this one, even though you can only block attacks rather then dodge them, and the Glitz Pit holds a special place in my heart as the 2nd most fun level of my top 10 list of most fun videogame levels.
4: Super Mario Strikers Charged. They found a way to make soccer interesting! Add explosions and electric forcefields! The road to the striker cup has excellent replay value, as I must've done it a thousand times.
5: Mario Kart 64. I have great memories of playing this game with buddies. And it's simplicity. Mario kart Wii is pretty intimidating with it's differnet stats of every single kart. They don't even tell you in 64, and I don't even think it matter anyway even if all the karts were different. I couldn't tell the difference.

Also, anything anybody wants to say about the new games around the corner? New Super mario bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Ikialev
2009-10-24, 04:21 PM
Mario is overhyped.

oyhr
2009-10-24, 04:35 PM
Three, definitely. I used to play that all the time.

Cubey
2009-10-24, 04:58 PM
I didn't have a chance to play a Mario game less old than... M64, I think.

Yoshi's Island was my favorite. Great level design and bosses. It really pushes SNES to its technical limits.

Mando Knight
2009-10-24, 05:07 PM
I didn't have a chance to play a Mario game less old than... M64, I think.

Yoshi's Island was my favorite. Great level design and bosses. It really pushes SNES to its technical limits.

I'd say the game that pushes the SNES to its limit is the original Starfox, and possibly the unreleased Starfox 2. That said, Yoshi's Island was one of the better-looking SNES games.

I like Old-School-type Super Mario games best... anything up to Super Mario World, and the retro-styled New Super Mario Bros. I also like the Mario RPGs, though, and to a somewhat lesser extent Mario 64 and its derivatives.

Mario 64 and Galaxy were still good (Sunshine was a little disappointing IMO), but I liked them best when they were trying their hardest to be 3D platformers rather than gotta-catch-all-the-shinies games.

That said, Fire Flower, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but the Wing Cap was the best powerup of all time. ALL TIME!

EleventhHour
2009-10-24, 05:23 PM
That said, Fire Flower, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but the Wing Cap was the best powerup of all time. ALL TIME!

Pff. Teddy Bear > All.

Zevox
2009-10-24, 05:42 PM
Well, I'll have to separate the Mario RPGs from the main Mario games, else the RPGs will crowd out the rest simply because that's my favorite genre. So, more or less in order from favorite to least...

RPGs:
- Paper Mario: Fantastic adaptation of a typical Mario story to RPG format. Truly top-notch in being both traditional Mario and a fun RPG.
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: A lot of good humor and a lot of good fun, plus you get to play as Bowser.
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: Somewhat of an in-between of the styles of the first Paper Mario and Bowser's Inside Story. Still great though.
- The other two Mario & Luigi games: Fairly good Mario RPGs. Don't remember many specifics on them anymore, though.
- Super Paper Mario: Still good, and a better, more original story thn the other Paper Marios, but I wish they had stuck to the turn-based battle system of the other Mario RPGs.
- Haven't finished Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, which I got via virtual console since I never had an SNES. Need to return to that someday.

Main Mario Series:
- Super Mario 64: Third best 3D platformer ever, behind only Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie.
- Super Mario Galaxy: Pretty damn good game, but also overly easy, save for the Bouldergeist boss.
- Super Mario Sunshine: I don't agree with those who say it was disappointing. It was different, and a bit too easy at times (especially with the final boss), but still great.
- Super Mario Brothers 3: Best of the old NES Mario games.
- The rest. There's a lot I haven't played, or have only played briefly from borrowing from a friend a long time ago (older handheld Mario games, mostly), plus Mario 1 and 2, all of which kinda blend together and fail to stand out in my mind.

I'm not even touching the Mario sports or Mario kart games. Not my genres. Mario Party was okay for maybe the first three games, when it was a new idea, but then it just became repetitive and generic. As for New Super Mario Brothers Wii and Mario Galaxy 2, I'll probably rent 'em, perhaps buy 'em if they're good enough. I don't know, for some reason I'm wary about Galaxy 2, being a direct sequel to Galaxy rather than an all-new Mario concept like they usually do; and unsure about New Super Mario Brothers, given I tend to prefer the 3D Mario games to the 2D ones.

Zevox

Dumbledore lives
2009-10-24, 05:50 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 was definitely my favorite 2-d Mario game, and probably my favorite Mario game of all time. It had the best levels, best power-ups, and had a fun 2 player mode. One of my other favorite games is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, that was an amazing game and one of the first I got on my SNES. I recently bought it on the virtual console and it is still amazing with great humor and game play. I loved most every Mario game, barring the later Mario Partys and some of the more recent sports titles, everything else was amazing.

Geno9999
2009-10-24, 06:19 PM
How long did this thread last without mention of Super Mario RPG? it is the only one just for me...
Other games of mention are;
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Stop... hammer suit time!)
NEW Super Mario Bros. (Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!! (http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/?p=816))
Super Mario Galaxy (Hey look Ma! I'm intergalactic-traveling!)

Mando Knight
2009-10-24, 06:29 PM
How long did this thread last without mention of Super Mario RPG? it is the only one just for me...

Just short of 2 hours.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-24, 06:51 PM
Mario is overhyped.

Okay? Your not really adding to the thread.

Myself, I'd say...

Super mario world - It was the first mario platformer I've played, and it left good memories.
Super Mario Sunshine - The second Mario platformer I played, and also have good memories of it.
Super mario 64/DS - See above, except third.
Mario Kart DS/Double Dash - I really liked these two games. Their the only MK games I thought were worth buying, and what got me to consider trying the occasional racing game.
Super Mario Galaxy - It has a great difficulty curve, and good music. The bosses were extremely easy, though.
New Super mario bros. - I had alot of fun with this. It's still a great game if I'm waiting for something to happen, like a bus to get here.

As for the RPGs, I'd say I like them all equally, except for Super Star Saga, which I liked more then the rest.

I liked the minigames, and it seemed funnier then the other L&M RPGs.

Eldan
2009-10-24, 07:15 PM
Super Mario Land on the old black and white gameboy... I used to play that for hours and days as a kid. Usually until the batteries ran out.

Apart from that...
Mario Kart 64 was cool, as were Mario 64. I haven't really played any others. Oh, wait. I have strikers now, which is fun for a while, but not really for long.

Dogmantra
2009-10-24, 07:28 PM
I much prefer the spinoffs to the actual Mario games.

1. Mario Strikers Charged
2. Mario Kart DS
3. Mario Smash Football (kind of obsolete now there's a much better sequel)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-24, 07:50 PM

~ When I play the game, I get lost in a phase. Then I find out I'm stuck in Geno's maze... ~

I so want to play that game.

Dammit Nintendo/Square, remake it for DS already!

Assassin89
2009-10-24, 08:01 PM
My favorites?

Super Mario 64: First N64 game I ever played
Mario Kart 64: Second N64 game I own
Mario Party: Fun series.
Super Mario Galaxy:
Paper Mario series
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga: I have not played the other two games though.
New Super Mario Brothers

RndmNumGen
2009-10-24, 08:58 PM
Super Mario Cat (http://rs29tl2.rapidshare.com/files/80742137/Superhard_Mario_albanianmafia_hhboard.com.rar)

Sure, it's not made by Nintendo, but it's fun all the same. Well, I find it fun at least.

banthesun
2009-10-25, 02:12 AM
Both Super Mario Worlds (Yoshi's Island is the second one)

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

I haven't played the other mario rpgs yet :smallfrown:

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-25, 06:18 AM
Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle!
http://blog.mlive.com/manzero/2008/09/large_20080908-thank-you-mario-but-our-princess-is-in-another-castle.jpg

The original, definitely. And Mario 64, which I never beat, FTR. :smallfrown:

Athaniar
2009-10-25, 06:21 AM
Super Mario 64 is my #1 favorite Mario game, and one of my favorite video games ever. Can it ever grow old? I hope not. Super Mario Sunshine, while not nearly as great as its predecessor, is also pretty good, as is Luigi's Mansion (even though it's not really a "Mario" game). Mario Kart Wii is fun and semi-addictive as well. And let's not forget Super Mario RPG.

Copper8642
2009-10-25, 11:54 AM
Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door were both incredible games... Quickly, to the "Best Written Characters In Gaming" thread!

Cespenar
2009-10-25, 12:05 PM
Super Mario Land on the old black and white gameboy... I used to play that for hours and days as a kid. Usually until the batteries ran out.

Heh, the same over here. Except, later, a certain brand of batteries (read: Duracell) saved me the trouble. It was a great game, though. The level designs are still all vivid in my memories.

d12
2009-10-25, 12:39 PM
I probably enjoyed the platformer Mario games more than I should, because my brother and I were always so bad at them, and we didn't really feel like working at them for hours everyday for most of our youth in order to become good at them. As such, the only one of the 'classic' platformers we ever completed was Mario World, due to use of Game Genie. I don't really know why, but there was always something unusual about Mario World for me--almost as if there was something I wasn't being told. Of course, aside from the hunt-for-secret-exits thing, I tended to think about things way too hard in those days, leading to injecting mystery in places where you really should just take things at face value. And when we completed the star road special stages and got that koopas-wear-Mario-masks easter egg it just confused the hell out of me. :smallbiggrin: I must have spent weeks trying to figure out what that meant.

I like the Mario Kart games in general, aside from the whole unlockable courses/characters/karts thing, but that's more of an antipathy for unlockable stuff in general, especially when it's awarded based on performance against possibly cheap-ass AI. Luckily, when I picked up Mario Kart DS used sometime last year I found that the previous owner hadn't deleted his data before selling it, and he'd apparently done absolutely everything in the game, so I had access to everything right away. Sweet!

I also probably like the Mario Party games more than I should, because they're just a bunch of minigames with a board game thrown on top with Mario characters/settings and no real story for the most part. I love em though, especially if I can manage to get somebody else to play too. My brother's girlfriend also likes playing now and then, and she used to work unusual hours, so we'd sometimes have a session during her off days when she was trying to stay awake and didn't want to bother my brother when he was sleeping. We once played a 50-turn game on Faire Square in MP6 because we knew you could get lots of stars on that board and we wanted to see how many we could get. Before factoring in bonus stars, I had 30 and she had 29. I think she won one of the bonus stars, I got another and split the third with one of the AIs. That was a hoot. :smallsmile: And some of the boards and minigames are just so cute. ^_^ I almost exploded when I saw that one board in MP5 with the snowman stamping out snowflakes out of circles of snow moving by on a conveyor belt. It's a bit embarrassing to be drawn to cute things at my age, but I just can't help it sometimes. :smalltongue:

I also would be a bit remiss if I didn't mention Mario Power Tennis, but it's not really a favorite for traditional reasons. Sure, it's a nice game and everything and it's really fun in multiplayer (my brother's girlfriend's brother and I once had an absolutely epic match.. I believe we went to deuce about 10 times in a row on the same point once), but the main reason I mention it here is because it probably singlehandedly turned me into a Daisy fan. :smallbiggrin: In particular, I just couldn't get enough of her taunt. For those who haven't played it, she shouts "hey come on!" and sort-of jumps up and down in kind of an irritated fashion. That's it. But I just found it absolutely hilarious. So these days I just about always play as Daisy in Mario Party and such, where character choice is mostly cosmetic. Don't usually play as Daisy in Mario Golf though cuz she's got a bad hook (I think), but generally she's my favorite Mario character, and it all goes back to that one game.

Fostire
2009-10-25, 12:56 PM
So ablout that Super Mario then, eh? Anybody else here as big a fanboy of him as I am? :smallwink:
I am :smallbiggrin:

I think I've played every mario game and mario spinoff game out there, except for a couple of mario party games and the newest games (galaxy, and the ones for DS).

My favourites are Mario 3 and Mario 64. Super Mario World is a close second.

Also, anything anybody wants to say about the new games around the corner? New Super mario bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2?
Anyone wants to gift me a wii so I can play these? :smalltongue:

Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle!
http://blog.mlive.com/manzero/2008/09/large_20080908-thank-you-mario-but-our-princess-is-in-another-castle.jpg

The original, definitely.
You mean this one:
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/donkey-kong.jpgRight?

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-25, 04:22 PM
My bad, forgot about DK. But the original Super Mario Bros is still my favourite. The music! The music!

And it came with Duckhunt.

Mando Knight
2009-10-25, 04:28 PM

Price just went down to around 200 USD. Get one yourself.

...Also, it has the old-school stuff available for download, so, y'know, bonus!

oyhr
2009-10-25, 04:32 PM
You mean this one:
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/donkey-kong.jpgRight?

But he was called Jumpman then, so it doesn't count.

Fostire
2009-10-25, 04:49 PM
Price just went down to around 200 USD. Get one yourself.

...Also, it has the old-school stuff available for download, so, y'know, bonus!

Well, considering my spending money is ~10 CND, 200 USD is a bit beyond what I can afford right now :smalltongue:
Plus I would also have to buy a tv so even if someone gifted me one I still wouldn't be able to play :smallfrown:

Unless... is it possible to hook up a videogame console to a laptop and use the laptop's monitor as a tv?

That was the superhero name he used to keep his identity secret :smalltongue:

Also thinking back, Super Mario Bros was the first videogame I ever owned. And it was AWESOME!

Athaniar
2009-10-25, 05:10 PM
Perhaps, but Mario Bros. came before Super Mario Bros. anyway. Not that it really matters, of course.

Kroy
2009-10-25, 05:17 PM
10.Mario Party 3
9. Mario Party 2
8. Mario Party
7. Mario Party 5
6. Super Smash Bros Brawl
5. Super Mario Sunshine
4. Super Mario 64
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
2. Paper Mario 2 and the Thousand year door
1. Paper Mario

KBF
2009-10-25, 06:42 PM
My bad, forgot about DK. But the original Super Mario Bros is still my favourite. The music! The music!

And it came with Duckhunt.

The original didn't come with duck hunt...

Those spiked shells are nasty.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/KBF/mariobros02.jpg

Enlong
2009-10-25, 07:21 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3. The first Mario game I ever played (that I remember. I think I remember playing SMB1 on the NES when I was really young). Such a great game, and my first exposure to it was the Super Mario All Stars version, which is even better.

On the 3d systems, Super Mario 64 and Sunshine hold places close to my heart, but Galaxy is, hands down, the best I have played so far. I got all 242 stars in that game, and I loved every minute of it. Well, OK. Cosmic Luigi and Lugi's Purple Coins did make me want to throw something, but other than that.
And of course, the Red Star. One of the best flying powerups ever, and getting the red stars in the observatory was just as much fun as getting the Wing Cap in Peach's castle.

Geno9999
2009-10-25, 07:45 PM
And of course, the Red Star. One of the best flying powerups ever, and getting the red stars in the observatory was just as much fun as getting the Wing Cap in Peach's castle.
I have this feeling that they just threw in the Red star power-up just as a fun throwback to 64's wing cap. Not that I'm complaining, I like it, but it just wasn't used in enough levels for me. (Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that the entirety of levels in that game were planetoids here and there, and designers didn't want a gamebreaker (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameBreaker))

Enlong
2009-10-25, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I get that feeling too. It would've been fun to just fly all over the place in the more single-area worlds like Gold Leaf or Beach Bowl, but just being able to soar around the Observatory is a lot of fun by itself. And it's less tedious than climbing the thing with the light trails.

Ominous
2009-10-25, 08:16 PM
Super Mario Brothers 3

It has the most levels, it has a well defined difficulty curve, it's one of the hardest, and it had that nasty PAUSE trap at the end. Plus, it introduced the koopa kids and has the best powerup in the series: the Hammer Bros. Suit! There's nothing like killing Bowser with hammers.

Enlong
2009-10-25, 08:17 PM
Pause trap? Enlighten me as to what this Pause Trap is. I don't remember it.

Ominous
2009-10-25, 08:26 PM
Pause trap? Enlighten me as to what this Pause Trap is. I don't remember it.

It was in the orginal not All Stars. After beating Bowser, you had to press up and B I think; otherwise the game would immediately pause and you couldn't unpause it, keeping you from saving the princess. It was a bit of cheesy trap, but I love all the meta around the idea of Bowser making a trap that forcefully pauses the game.

ondonaflash
2009-10-25, 10:25 PM
I've seen some people post a fondness for the Mario RPGS, to those people, I would like to draw your attention to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, for the Super Nintendo.

The premise is not dissimilar to Paper Mario, but it had a few things Paper Mario lacked.

Ridiculously hard to find secret items (TOTALLY WORTH IT)

And Geno, the Baddest MoFo this side of Metroid.

Plus it was just absurdly fun. It was Square when they were at the peak of the their prime, and it had so many mini-games, and sidequests that were just plain fun to do, that it really just stole the show for so many of us.

Lord Seth
2009-10-26, 10:39 AM
Mario is overhyped.If you thought that, you could've at least said "Mario is overhyped, and while I don't think any of the games are spectacular, I think the best compared to the others is/are..."

Whether you hate, love, or are ambivalent about Mario, that doesn't mean you can't have a favorite game in the series. Your post, as it stands, adds nothing to the topic.

Anyway, as for me, I think I'd go with Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. Other good ones are Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Super Mario RPG.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was okay, but its lack of a save feature despite its length really bugged me and is a big reason I didn't like it. There's also the fact I really hated some of the later levels...

Ikialev
2009-10-26, 10:54 AM
*and while I don't think any of the games are spectacular, I think the best compared to the others is Paper Mario from Wii. It was more fun than normal platformers.

Optimystik
2009-10-26, 12:24 PM
No love for Kaizo Mario World? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KaizoMarioWorld)

Observe. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teAqRZX4hbY)

Pronounceable
2009-10-27, 04:40 AM
^^I was gonna mention Kaizo. And its sequel. But only for watching, I'm not dumb/stubborn enough to play it.

Valencia
2009-10-27, 10:59 AM
By far and large the greatest game of all time to me (and this isn't just counting Mario titles) is Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. Seriously RPG fans, if you haven't given it a go, you should. Original storyline, a great set of sidequests, and a real fun treat towards the end if you're a final fantasy fan. :smallbiggrin:

Aside from that I also adore the titles in the Paper Mario series. The clever humor and involved storylines really impressed me. Especially with the latest for the Wii. Those games always make me smile.

Likewise with the Mario & Luigi series on the DS, though I have yet to play the latest (with no job comes no money) I was glad to hear that it kept up the quality of the originals. I very much look forward to playing it.

I've also got to give love to The original platformer, Super Mario Bros, since that was the very first video game I ever played. The one that started it all I suppose. Mario 64 and Galaxy were both really fun to play too. I've also had a fondness for Mario Golf, Kart, and Tennis... I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

I did like the original Mario Party, but since then version after version after version I'm finding myself getting tired of them. Also the cheating npcs keep stealin' mah stars. :smallwink:

Ominous
2009-10-28, 08:50 PM
My issue with the Legend of the Seven Stars is that, if you've got the right items equipped, you can easily beat the last boss without needing to do any leveling. As soon as you can enter the Smithy Factory, you're able to clean Smithy's clock. That aside, it is an excellent game and it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-28, 08:57 PM
It was in the orginal not All Stars. After beating Bowser, you had to press up and B I think; otherwise the game would immediately pause and you couldn't unpause it, keeping you from saving the princess. It was a bit of cheesy trap, but I love all the meta around the idea of Bowser making a trap that forcefully pauses the game.

....That sounds more like a glitch then an intentional choice. :smalltongue:

Hzurr
2009-10-29, 02:03 PM
Man...so many good ones. I'll highlight my favorite from each system

NES: Super Mario 3 - (Tanooki suit! Giant boot!)
SNES: Super Mario RPG - (Princess Peach with the frying pan still makes me laugh)
N64: Super Mario 64 - Taught the world how 3D should be done.
GC: Mario Kart: Double Dash - So many hours in college were spent playing 4 player.
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy (with Mario Strikers being a close 2nd) - I was kindof doubtful about Galaxy when I first started playing it, but I distinctly remember getting super excited when I got to become a bee. I didn't even know I wanted to be a bee, but secretly, I guess I did. 4 Player Mario Strikers is how I got to know one of the guys who is going to be a groomsman in my wedding.

Longshanks
2009-10-29, 02:11 PM
I love Super Mario 2 because it was so different than all the others at the time (even three, since you could not lift stuff).

Fostire
2009-10-29, 02:21 PM
I love Super Mario 2 because it was so different than all the others at the time (even three, since you could not lift stuff).

That's because SM2 wasn't originally a mario game. They just added the mario characters to help sell the game.

Wreckingrocc
2009-10-29, 09:32 PM
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Mario Galaxy

Top is favorites of favorites, gradually decreasing until bottom is games I consider to be better in the series.

Was a little too young for the classic games, though spent a good long while enjoying watching my dad play Super Mario Bros. 3.

Super Mario 64 was the first I enjoyed, but, being a 7 year old kid, I was kinda bad at it, and didn't get to fully enjoy it; the DS version had an easier curve, and I felt like I was able to grasp it more.

Ominous
2009-10-30, 02:27 PM
....That sounds more like a glitch then an intentional choice. :smalltongue:

That's a possibility. The English version of the game manual simply referred to a mysterious trap that Bowser had waiting for Mario. I still liked it, even if it was unintended.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-10-30, 02:52 PM

Odd, that never happened on MY cartridge of SMB3... maybe some of them didn't have it.

It does rather sound like I Wanna Be The Guy... that kind of meta-headgame

Linkavitch
2009-11-02, 12:27 PM

They're only two hundred american dollars now (Not that 250 wasn't dirt cheap compared to the rest of the world). That put me a little bit out, 'cuz they did it right after I bought my Wii.