PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Medusa Healer

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-24, 04:43 PM
So I decided I didn't want to play around with class levels, so I built myself a Medusa using the Savage Species classes (level 10 adventure; very lax group).

I decided I wanted to go Vow of Poverty + Vow of NonViolence + Vow of Peace + Stigmata, later using a feat to get the Stoneheart Soulmeld to reduce the damage from Stigmata and become the party's healer. Levels in paladin will give me lay on hands later (since charisma is my highest score).

Putting aside the ethical issues of "does petrification cancel vow of peace?", I'm having a little problem with the character. Specifically: protecting my teammates from the gaze.

->Narrowed Gaze: Probably the best choice. Although it would reduce my gaze attack to "standard actions only", the DM might just make me do that anyway if he feels I'm being too cheap wiping out enemies by walking past them.

->Gorgon mask: the incarnum mask came up for a while as an idea to divert my gaze only to those who I can see below my mask. Kinda "rule 0" territory and works off of something as flimsy as "art", so isn't the best choice.

->Blindfold: My favorite and the most flavorful of options (assuming I can tear some of my robe to make a blindfold without losing vow of poverty). This idea has the backdraw of not being able to see. Blindfight doesn't help much here, since I want to heal.

->Having Teammates Stay more than 30 feet away: unless they need healing, in which case they either rely on the 50% chance or close their eyes entirely. This is kinda difficult and I don't want to be a burden on the rest of the team.

->Have a wizard prepare a lot of stone to flesh spells: This is probably a given even with another choice taken, just in case.

Does anyone have any other suggestions other than giving my allies a bunch of magic blindfolds from A&E pg 106 or the overpriced +5 armor enchancement for all my allies?

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-24, 05:07 PM
Unless specified otherwise, a creature with a gaze attack can control its gaze attack and “turn it off ” when so desired. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#gazeAttacks)

Easy as that. If you want something more interesting, burn your regular eyes out and use your snake eyes to see things with :smallbiggrin:.

Cieyrin
2009-10-24, 05:13 PM
Pick up the Hidden Talent feat and choose Synesthete as your power so that you can have your eyes closed and feel light to wander around with no penalty. Works with the nonmagical blindfold, as well. Of course, this leads to having to deal with psionics and I don't know how comfortable you are with having a 2nd system on top of Incarnum.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-24, 05:25 PM
Unless specified otherwise, a creature with a gaze attack can control its gaze attack and “turn it off ” when so desired. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#gazeAttacks)

Easy as that. If you want something more interesting, burn your regular eyes out and use your snake eyes to see things with :smallbiggrin:.

Thank you very much! I love both ideas a lot.

So I can probably go "team, avert your eyes!", turn it on, turn it off, then be like "ok, its ok now". Or just use it when I'm 30+ ft away...

Random Update: My GM said no go since I can't have vow of poverty. He believes they are too strong >.>' I tried explaining that I can get almost all the bonuses by spending less than half my level 10 starting gold but his mind is made up I think.

Noble Savant
2009-10-24, 06:02 PM
Didn't get much help on /tg/ then?

I recommend that you talk to your DM about the rules on facing. If your allies don't face you, then they can't get petrified.