PDA

View Full Version : Bodhisattva Guan Yin (3.5 Build Help)

Sutrahariel
2009-10-24, 05:58 PM
I am in need of making a lower level character if I ever so get the chance to use it. I was thinking of making a far east themed monk (not the class, maybe a cleric or somesuch) that wished to transcend her mortality into a state of perfect neutrality and wisdom.

If you haven't guessed yet, she's basically using the Buddhist ideals and beliefs as her own. She'll hopefully be seen as a prophet eventually, then reach perfection in humanoid form (Bodhisattva).

For insperation and the thoughts behind the character, here is the woman I'm basing her off of: here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin)

any thoughts are welcome, this one focuses on roleplay anywho

Wings of Peace
2009-10-25, 01:56 AM
Books available?

Edit: Some sort of Binder or Meldshaper might work well for your theme. Meldshapers especially go well with Vow of Poverty which would fit what you're doing quite well.

Sutrahariel
2009-10-25, 02:25 AM
anything outside of incarnum I believe. If I go Binder, what would you advice?

I was thinking Shugenja, but it seems like a very bad idea. Maybe druid? without Wildshape maybe. I dunno

Wings of Peace
2009-10-25, 02:40 AM
If you go Binder then I would recommend a combination of natural weapon bindings and the one binding that lets you fight like a monk. The imagery that goes with that however is quite brutal what with the rending and tearing.

Druid may be a better option for you or if you like Spontaneity then perhaps Spirit Shaman. Spirit Shaman also has the fluff aspect of being geared more towards the Meta-Physical than the druid in my opinion.

Edit: If you go Binder then this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871830/Consolidated_Binder_Handbook?num=10&pg=1) can explain your choices better than I ever could.

Yora
2009-10-25, 02:45 AM
I'd change the threat title. People here are extremely touchy about anything that might be related to what some people believe.
But I think if you remove the name from the title, you should be fine.

Binder seems an odd choice for such a character to me. If you want to reach enlightment comming from inside yourself, it seems contradictory to rely on external beings to supply you with Power!.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-25, 02:47 AM
Perhaps some sort of Favored Soul...

Wings of Peace
2009-10-25, 02:49 AM
I'd change the threat title. People here are extremely touchy about anything that might be related to what some people believe.
But I think if you remove the name from the title, you should be fine.

Seems fine. I mean if someone were building Jesus they would likely label it something along the lines of "Jesus" or "Help me make Jesus"

Edit: I do agree with your point about Binding classes. They could do well with some re-flavoring though I think. Perhaps as aspects of the characters inner self that they must master?

Yora
2009-10-25, 02:59 AM
Seems fine. I mean if someone were building Jesus they would likely label it something along the lines of "Jesus" or "Help me make Jesus"
Yes, and then the thread would be closed and everyone who took part will get a warning. And I allready have so many. :smallbiggrin:
But it's not a christian denomination popular in the US. So maybe nobody would care. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Wings of Peace
2009-10-25, 04:04 AM
Yes, and then the thread would be closed and everyone who took part will get a warning. And I allready have so many. :smallbiggrin:
But it's not a christian denomination popular in the US. So maybe nobody would care. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Perhaps. I suppose we'll just have to see what happens.:smallsmile: So, opinion on re-flavoring the Binder? Mechanically it seems like it could work well in that the character wouldn't so much run out of their spiritual abilities as just have to rest a few rounds while they recharged.

Sutrahariel
2009-10-25, 10:47 AM
I thought of binder, druid, spirit shaman, wu jen, cleric, and favored soul.

Sadly I hate favored soul, It loses a lot and gains little, but maybe a cloistered cleric. Druid and spirit shaman are options, and mildly good ones at that. The asian themed magi aren't very tempting, I don't want to focus on one element. Binder could work, but I need to know if the vestiges have the abilities that make sense.

A Correction from my first post. I meant monk as a reclused cleric, not an buttkicker via the foot. Supernatural abilities (magic, e.t.c) are most likely a given.

Karsh
2009-10-25, 10:55 AM
There's the Mystic class from Dragonlance... it's a spontaneous casting version of the Cleric sans turn-undead (unless you take the Sun domain). The fluff is essentially that they channel divine energy through self-awareness and don't need deities to do it.

I'd recommend going Mystic 5/Divine Oracle 4/X 1/Contemplative 10.

The entry requirements for the PrC preclude you ever hitting the capstone before level 20, but the Contemplative capstone makes you a native outsider. Regardless of the rest of your build, Contemplative is the perfect PrC for the last 10 levels assuming you get at least a level of divine casting.

Thurbane
2009-10-25, 09:14 PM
I was thinking of making a far east themed monk (not the class, maybe a cleric or somesuch) that wished to transcend her mortality into a state of perfect neutrality and wisdom.
I'd recommend a Cloistered Cleric going into the Contemplative PrC.

Sutrahariel
2009-10-25, 09:57 PM
Thurbane, if I did use the Cloistered cleric/Contemplative build, what domains would you suggest?

Thurbane
2009-10-26, 12:28 AM
Depends on the deity (if any). But from your original post, I'd recommend Balance and Mind (plus Knowledge as a bonus domain for being a Cloistered Cleric). These seem to fit your character concept nicely. :smallwink:

Sutrahariel
2009-10-26, 10:43 PM
Mind doesn't exactly fit, but I do like Balance. I'm thinking about getting Balance and Meditation for my first domains (plus Knowledge) and getting Mysticism through Contemplative