PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Metamagic Feat: Spell Engine

Merk
2009-10-24, 06:45 PM
Spell Engine [Metamagic]

Prerequisite: Caster level 1st.

Benefit:

You may choose to expend multiple spell slots of a single level to create a virtual spell slot of one level higher. You must expend 3 spell slots of the lower level to create the higher level spell slot. For example, Mialee, a wizard, may choose to prepare 3 of her 0-level spells as a single 1st-level spell such as Magic Missile. You must be able to cast spells of the level of the virtual slot that you create. Virtual spell slots created via spell engine, and bonus spells granted through Wizard school specialization or Cleric domain access, may not be expended via Spell Engine.

Successive Spell Engine [Metamagic]

Prerequisites: Caster level 10th, Spell Engine

Benefit:

As Spell Engine, but virtual slots created via spell engine may be used to create more virtual slots, and you can apply Spell Engine multiple times per spell. For example, Haydyn, a sorceror, after numerous encounters, has 3 0-level spells left, 2 1st-level spells left, and 0 2nd-level spells left. He may expend his 3 0-level spells to create a 1st-level spell slot, and then use 3 1st-level spell slots to cast a single 2nd-level spell. As before, you must be able to cast spells at the final spell level created, and you cannot use spells granted via specialization or domain for Spell Engine.

Krazddndfreek
2009-10-25, 04:31 AM
I'm pretty sure there's already a feat that's much better than that, it's called Versatile Spell. :smalltongue:

I can't find the damn book its in (too many books!:smallfurious:), but I'm sure its in one of those draconic-y (Races of the Dragon, draconomicon, etc.) books. Basically you can convert two spell slots into one spell of the next level. As long as you can cast spells from said level.

Although, looking over it again, maybe you already know this, and maybe Versatile Spell only works for sorcerors and you were looking for a similar option for wizards. If so, I don't know why it should require three of the previous spell slot, two seems reasonable enough.:smallconfused:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-25, 04:42 PM
Although, looking over it again, maybe you already know this, and maybe Versatile Spell only works for sorcerors and you were looking for a similar option for wizards. If so, I don't know why it should require three of the previous spell slot, two seems reasonable enough.:smallconfused:

Most likely it requires 3 because a wizard can prepare different spells, as opposed to being limited to the same spells known; trading out 6 1st-level spells for 2 2nd-level spells is a great trade if those are 2 more options that you didn't have before rather than repeats of existing options.

Krazddndfreek
2009-10-25, 06:04 PM
I'm not even sure if Versatile Spell is only usable by sorcerers (or other spontaneous), it could just as well work for spellcasters who have to prepare, I'm not sure, I'd have to find the book, but I can't seem to find it. :smallsigh:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-25, 06:36 PM
I'm not even sure if Versatile Spell is only usable by sorcerers (or other spontaneous), it could just as well work for spellcasters who have to prepare, I'm not sure, I'd have to find the book, but I can't seem to find it. :smallsigh:

You require spontaneous casting to take it, but it never says you can only use it with spontaneous slots. Many DMs would probably rule that the prerequisites mean only spontaneous casters can use it, but I just think it makes a prepared/spontaneous multiclass more interesting.