PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Looking to beef up Death Attack

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-24, 07:20 PM
I'm setting up a Vril (DotU goblin race) Dark Hunter. I have a 14 Int after racial adjustments (-2). So far I figure that at level 10 I will have a DC 17 Death attack and that isn't gonna cut the mustard (or the targets throat for that matter). Ability Focus will get me another +2 (can you take ability focus more than once?), and Int boosting items can get me a bit more, but I'd like to go higher still. any ideas on how to?

All books are open. Thank you in advanced

ex cathedra
2009-10-24, 07:26 PM
Bracers of Murder [8k] increase your DA DC by 2 and let you reroll 1's on you sneak attack or skirmish dice.

Grynning
2009-10-24, 07:34 PM
Some DM's may let you to take the feat Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus) for Death Attack. RAW it doesn't really work, but there's not a whole lot of ways to beef up non-spell special abilities so I've known people to allow it.

Fishy
2009-10-24, 07:51 PM
Anything you can take Ability Focus for can also benefit from Sudden Ability Focus, from ToM. And extra +2 once per day isn't great, but it is something.

More of a late-game consideration, but if you can squeak in one level of a divine casting class and some useless prereq feats, Black Flame Zealot's death attack explicitly stacks with the Assassin's.

ericgrau
2009-10-24, 08:01 PM
Assasin's dagger, +1 to the DC, 18000 gp. Talk to the DM about being allowed to upgrade it later. the +1 to the death attack DC seems to be equivalent to a +1 enchantment.

Gorbash
2009-10-24, 08:06 PM
Assassin's Dagger (from DMG) gets you an additional +1. You could talk to your DM to change it to another weapon, after all, basic math tells you that that enhancement costs 10 000 gp.

It would help if you're not playing a race with an Int penalty, though.

(can you take ability focus more than once?)

Not for the same special attack, you can't.

Nero24200
2009-10-24, 08:06 PM
It's not quite a direct way, but con-damage poison would be handy for lowering your foes chance of passing the save. It's usally the more expensive poison though, and in most cases other effects (like sleep poison) are usally better.

Grynning
2009-10-24, 08:39 PM
It's not quite a direct way, but con-damage poison would be handy for lowering your foes chance of passing the save. It's usally the more expensive poison though, and in most cases other effects (like sleep poison) are usally better.

In a similar vein, having a buddy whacking the bad guy with a wounding weapon while you hide and study would work too.

Also, I don't think you actually have to use the Assassin's dagger to deliver the death attack to get its +1. You'd just have to shell out for one on top of whatever weapon you actually do plan on hitting with.

ericgrau
2009-10-24, 09:10 PM
Assassin's Dagger (from DMG) gets you an additional +1. You could talk to your DM to change it to another weapon, after all, basic math tells you that that enhancement costs 10 000 gp.
It also fits as a +1 equivalent enchantment, and that's way too much of a coincidence for it to be a flat 10k.

Darrin
2009-10-25, 06:08 AM
Take some Hexblade levels + Dark Companion ACF to debuff the save. If you can't fit it into your build, Leadership for a Hexblade companion.

Adumbration
2009-10-25, 06:40 AM
Take some Hexblade levels + Dark Companion ACF to debuff the save. If you can't fit it into your build, Leadership for a Hexblade companion.

You can achieve something very similar by taking the Bind Vestige feat and binding Focalor, for the Aura of Sadness ability. -2 to saves, skill checks and attack rolls for adjacent enemies. Tome of Magic.

Gorbash
2009-10-25, 06:53 AM
It also fits as a +1 equivalent enchantment, and that's way too much of a coincidence for it to be a flat 10k.

Right you are, never thought of it that way. Even better, then.

Quietus
2009-10-25, 06:56 AM
Right you are, never thought of it that way. Even better, then.

Worse, really, because of how it stacks.