Fishy
2009-10-24, 08:40 PM
Sacrilegious Slime:Large Ooze
Hit Dice: 7d10+14
Speed: 20'
Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+10
Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d6+3 plus sacrilege)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, ooze traits, spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +8
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 15, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

Tactics: A Sacrilegious Slime is mindless, and will simply engulf, consume, and re-animate any living creatures it encounters before moving on.

Sacrilege (Su): A creature hit by a Sacrilegious Slime's slam attack or engulfed by it is affected by Desecrate, Unhallow, and Fell Animating Uttercold Ice Knife.

- The target takes 5d4 points of damage, and all adjacent creatures take 1 point of damage. Half of this damage is cold and half is negative energy. This damage applies when the creature is struck by a slam attack, or each round it remains engulfed by the Slime. Any creature that could normally be raised as a Zombie and that does not possess more than 14 HD, when killed by this damage, rises as a Zombie under the Slime's control at the beginning of its next turn. The Slime cannot create more than 14 HD of zombies in one attack, and it cannot control more than 7 HD of undead at once.

- The Slime, along with everything it engulfs, is constantly affected by a Magic Circle Against Good.

- Undead creatures gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws while engulfed by the Slime. Turning checks made to turn undead inside the Slime take a -10 penalty, 6 of which is profane. Undead created or summoned inside the Slime gain +2 hp per HD.

- Neutral Evil creatures engulfed by the Slime, such as zombies, are affected by a freedom of movement spell and can act normally.

Engulf (Ex): A Sacrilegious Slime can flow around a Large or smaller creature as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The Slime merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the living spell, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the Sacrilege effect (see above) each round on the living spell’s turn, and are considered to be grappled.

Ooze Traits: An ooze is blind (blindsight 60 ft.) and has immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight. It has immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. It is not subject to extra damage from critical hits or flanking.

So I was idly going over the Tome of Necromancy again, which keeps mentioning how important it is to have access to a Desecrate effect at all times. Why not bring one with you? For best results, you also want some sort of portable unholy ground- exactly like the kind you get in a Living Unhallow, and the rest just sort of fell together. I think it's legal, with the only weird bits being Metamagic and Living Spells.

We can go one better, though, and make it Undead. Undead oozes are tricky, but anything corporeal can be Half Fey, anything Fey can be spellwarped, any Abomination has an Elemental Denizen version, and any Elemental can go Necromental. That looks like this:

Sacrilegious Storm:Large Undead [Air, Augmented Ooze]
Hit Dice: 7d10+14
Speed: 100' Fly, (perfect)
Initiative: +6
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +4 natural, +6 Dex, +5 deflection), touch 20, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+15
Attack: Slam +9 melee (1d6+8 plus sacrilege and energy drain)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic and 5/cold iron, spell resistance 18, fast healing 3 (in air), Spell Absorption, Immune to Enchantments, Darkvision 60', low light vision, Spell Like Abilities, undead traits
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +15, Will +9
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 22, Con -, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: Flyby Attack, Great Fortitude, Corpsecrafter, Deathly Chill, [B]Destructive Retribution
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 14
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

When not directly under the control of the necromancers of the Winter Court, Sacrilegious Storms still have enough intelligence to use their superior speed and maneuverability to harass their foes.

Sacrilege (Su): A creature hit by a Sacrilegious Storm's slam attack or engulfed by it is affected by Desecrate, Unhallow, and Fell Animating Uttercold Ice Knife.

- The target takes 5d4+2 points of damage, and all adjacent creatures take 1 point of damage. Half of this damage is cold and half is negative energy. This damage applies when the creature is struck by a slam attack, or each round it remains engulfed by the Storm. Any creature that could normally be raised as a Zombie and that does not possess more than 14 HD, when killed by this damage, rises as a Zombie under the Storm's control at the beginning of its next turn. The Storm cannot create more than 14 HD of zombies in one attack, and it cannot control more than 7 HD of undead at once. Zombies created by the Storm have a +4 enhancement bonus to strength, +2 hp per HD, deal +1d6 cold damage with their natural attacks, and release a 10' burst of Negative Energy upon its destruction, dealing 1d6 points of damage with an additional 1d6 per 2 HD (Ref halves, DC 15).

- The Storm, along with everything it engulfs, is constantly affected by a Magic Circle Against Good.

- Undead creatures gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws while engulfed by the Storm. Turning checks made to turn undead inside the Storm take a -10 penalty, 6 of which is profane. Undead created or summoned inside the Storm gain +2 hp per HD. Being undead, the Storm gains these bonuses, which are included in the statistics above.

- Neutral Evil creatures engulfed by the Storm, such as zombies, are affected by a freedom of movement spell and can act normally.

Engulf (Ex): A Sacrilegious Storm can flow around a Large or smaller creature as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The Storm merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the living spell, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 10 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the Sacrilege effect (see above) each round on the living spell’s turn, and are considered to be grappled.

Energy Drain (Su): Any creature struck with a Sacrilegious Storm's slam attack gains a Negative Level (limit of once per round). The Storm gains 5 Temporary HP (or 10 Temporary HP if it was a Critical Hit) which last up to 1 hour. The DC to remove the Negative level is 10 + 1/2 HD.

Create Spawn (Su): Any Elemental slain by a Sacrilegious Storm's Energy Drain attack rises as a Necromental 1d4 days later.

Spell Absorption (Su): If the Sacrilegious Storm's spell resistance negates a spell, it gains its choice of the following:
- Might: +4 Enhancement bonus to Strength for 1 minute.
- Agility: +4 Enhancement bonus to Dexterity for 1 minute.
- Endurance: +4 Enhancement bonus to Constitution for 1 min.
- Life: Gains (5 x negated spell level) Temporary Hit-Points.
- Speed: Gains (5 x negated spell level)’ to base movement.
- Resistance: Gain Energy Resistance 10 to one type of energy of the creature’s choice (either Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic).

Air Mastery (Ex): Airborne creatures take a -1 penalty to attack and damage rolls against a Sacrilegious Storm.

Spell Like abilities: Charm Person (DC 6) at will; Protection from Law, Detect Law 3/day; Hypnotism (DC 6), Faerie Fire, Sleep (DC 6), Hideous Laughter (DC 7), Confusion (DC 9) 1/day. The save DCs are Charisma based.

Of course, all that template stacking means we have a CR 14 undead creature with only 7 hit-dice. There's a pretty huge penalty to trying to turn it, but anything that gets through will pretty much reduce it to dust. I'm not 100% sure that this version is an improvement, but it's stylish.

Thoughts? Feelings? Amusing Living Spells?

Starscream
2009-10-24, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't bother making it undead. Just be an evil cleric of someone with the Ooze domain (like Jubilex) and you can command it and have it follow you around however you like. The Slime domain grants the same power, but the spells aren't as good.

Of course, that doesn't explain how you're actually going to find one of these things. Unless there's some way for players to create living spells that I am unaware of, you're sort of relying on the DM to hand one over.

And if I could, I would totally make a living spell out of Confusion, along with maybe Mind Fog to make it harder to resist.

Fishy
2009-10-24, 09:03 PM
Right, there's no mechanism for actually making living spells, so this is almost certainly a DM-only thing.

But it's cool.

Set
2009-10-24, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't bother making it undead. Just be an evil cleric of someone with the Ooze domain (like Jubilex) and you can command it and have it follow you around however you like. The Slime domain grants the same power, but the spells aren't as good.

Also Thirst from Sandstorm.

There was a PrC that allowed the creation and control of Living Spells in Dragon. (Found it on DragonDex, the Spell Sovereign, Dragon issue 357, page 80.)

Prak
2009-10-25, 03:09 PM
Also Thirst from Sandstorm.

There was a PrC that allowed the creation and control of Living Spells in Dragon. (Found it on DragonDex, the Spell Sovereign, Dragon issue 357, page 80.)

it even gives you a living spell familiar.

I was thinking about taking it and creating a living Cure Light Wounds.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-25, 03:17 PM
it even gives you a living spell familiar.

I was thinking about taking it and creating a living Cure Light Wounds.

Area spells only. CLW won't work. You can stretch it for Mass versions, but that's sketchy. Otherwise you'd get Living Heroes Feast spells, which is just absurd.

Haboob from Sandstorm. I've also used Maw of Chaos as a Living Spell, along with a Spellwarped Living Spell at one point (that one annoyed people).

Surprisingly, some living spells have a very practical use. Living Sleep spells can be used to cure insomnia in commoners, and I'm sure there's dozens of other spells that could work.

Prak
2009-10-25, 03:38 PM
Area spells only. CLW won't work. You can stretch it for Mass versions, but that's sketchy. Otherwise you'd get Living Heroes Feast spells, which is just absurd.
Ah, damn. Maybe that's why I never actually got around to it...

Umm...I know a way to get a living spell as a familiar. Its in one of the dragon mags. I'll look for it and post it tomorrow if you want.
Yes, that's been mentioned, in fact, I brought up the living spell familiar in connection to it.

taltamir
2009-10-25, 05:28 PM
so... what level do you need to be to take a "mass cure light wounds" living spell as a familiar?

Starscream
2009-10-25, 10:32 PM

An ooze that can be consumed for hit points?
http://www.nutcan.com/images/thumbnail.php?width=200&file=/images/articles/cosby.jpg
There's always room for Living Jello!

Darrin
2009-10-26, 04:43 PM

Magic of the Land (from Races of the Wild) FTW.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-26, 05:04 PM
Surprisingly, some living spells have a very practical use. Living Sleep spells can be used to cure insomnia in commoners, and I'm sure there's dozens of other spells that could work.

Living sleep also enfeebles people (MM 3 has the example one with both). So they might be cured of insomnia but they feel weak.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-26, 05:54 PM
Living sleep also enfeebles people (MM 3 has the example one with both). So they might be cured of insomnia but they feel weak.

That wears off in a few minutes/hours though.

so... what level do you need to be to take a "mass cure light wounds" living spell as a familiar?

The way I normally do it? 15th or 17th. For the PrC? Dunno. 5th level spell, so it shouldn't be too high.