PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Equinox the embodiment of True Neutral? Doable as a PC?

Pika...
2009-10-24, 10:23 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/c/cb/Equinox_bb.jpg

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Equinox_%28The_Brave_and_the_Bold%29

There is something about this character that fascinates me, but which I can not put my finger on. Perhaps it is his uniqueness in a time when every cliche has been redone so often that Hollywood is doing nothing but milking past series?

Anyway, would you say he is a good representation of TN in D&D terms?

If not why?

Also, do you think he would be doable as a PC? If so, how?

Grynning
2009-10-24, 10:30 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/c/cb/Equinox_bb.jpg

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Equinox_%28The_Brave_and_the_Bold%29

There is something about this character that fascinates me, but which I can not put my finger on. Perhaps it is his uniqueness in a time when every cliche has been redone so often that Hollywood is doing nothing but milking past series?

Anyway, would you say he is a good representation of TN in D&D terms?

If not why?

Also, do you think he would be doable as a PC? If so, how?

Not to spark an intense alignment debate, but he would only represent one way of playing True Neutral. TN characters can be motivated by a number of things besides "balance," like pure self-interest.

As a PC? Sure, you could use the theme on pretty much any character. The page you linked doesn't really mention any significant powers and abilities, so I imagine he's a Batman-type (no supernatural powers, but lots of wits and guile) so you could make him as any sort of melee/skill monkey PC. Factotum maybe.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-10-24, 10:33 PM
Well, this is an established way of doing True Neutral. Another way is to play it off as more what 4e would call "Unaligned"--you just don't care. I've seen it in a few places--here's a list.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BalanceBetweenGoodAndEvil

However, I don't really like it. Partially, because it depends on an omniscient morality license--how do you exactly gauge everyone's strength, and how do you use that to determine "balance"? Balance of what? Good and evil? And what does that mean, because you've got to define a point of balance in the first place--where's your zero point? If there's an orphanage in one location does there have to be concentration camp somewhere else to make it work? What about if there's someone opposing you, focusing on imbalance above all else? Is there a "balance" between your point of view and someone who would prefer a particular alignment win out? If so, are you required to work against yourself to maintain a balance?

Pika...
2009-10-24, 11:23 PM
What about if there's someone opposing you, focusing on imbalance above all else? Is there a "balance" between your point of view and someone who would prefer a particular alignment win out? If so, are you required to work against yourself to maintain a balance?

I would find that awesome if a DM thought of it and sent me my way.

At the end I picture the PC having defeated the imbalancing rival along with his party, then preventing the party from finishing him off as he heals him barely enough to stabilize him.

I imagine I/my PC would at one point say "You are my balance".

I am SO going to stat him up now. I still would like some advice, though.

ps. I imagine he would strive between a balance of all four alignments.

pss. As for his powers, in a later episode he revealed he could heal Batman from near death (reminds me of the psonic power in Complete Crud), could walk in a radioactive area to save Batman, and then could just vanish/teleport away.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-10-24, 11:35 PM
If you play him as sticking with good/evil/law/chaos as balance, that will work far better than just invoking "balance" as a general principle.

Grynning
2009-10-25, 01:52 AM
pss. As for his powers, in a later episode he revealed he could heal Batman from near death (reminds me of the psonic power in Complete Crud), could walk in a radioactive area to save Batman, and then could just vanish/teleport away.

There's actually an Egoist Power that would work for that, Psionic Revivify. Energy Adaptation works for the radiation thing, and teleportation is pretty obvious. Egoist Psion is probably your best bet.

Grumman
2009-10-25, 03:30 AM
Balance between law and chaos is fine, but balance between good and evil is retarded. If he was actually trying to "balance" good and evil, his alignment should probably be Chaotic Evil, no matter what lies he tells himself.

Pika...
2009-10-25, 03:53 AM
Balance between law and chaos is fine, but balance between good and evil is retarded. If he was actually trying to "balance" good and evil, his alignment should probably be Chaotic Evil, no matter what lies he tells himself.

Seems kind of bios.

Why is there a difference betweeen the Chaos/Law axis and the Evil/Good axis of teh Great Wheel?

Grumman
2009-10-25, 04:04 AM
Seems kind of bios.

Why is there a difference betweeen the Chaos/Law axis and the Evil/Good axis of teh Great Wheel?
Because both spontaneity/freedom and reliability/rules have positive aspects. A multiverse with only good and neutral people is perfectly balanced. A belief that throwing innocent people under the bus has anything to offer makes him either an imbecile or a sociopath.