PDA

View Full Version : [SW Saga] Species Imbalance

falconflicker
2009-10-25, 01:16 AM
I was wondering if there were any house rules to balance the Star Wars Saga Edition Species, as they're pretty unbalanced.

If you want an example, the only differences between the Mon Calamari and the Quarren are that the Mon Cal get a conditional focus in perception, while the Quarren get a conditional focus in Persuasion, they get different species languages, and the Mon Cal get +2 INT and WIS and -2 CON, where as the Quarren get +2 CON, and -2 WIS and CHA. Clearly, the Mon Cal is better in almost any situation.

Grynning
2009-10-25, 01:25 AM
SWSE values physical stats as being double value of a mental stat, for the most part, particularly Str and Con. This is largely because this is how 3.x D&D did it, which makes sense for D&D, but not as much for Star Wars, where Str is less relevant.

When we made our SWSE characters our GM changed all races to work like 4th ed D&D - Humans get +2 to any one stat, all others get +2 to fixed stats, no penalties. Wookies became +2 Str/Con, etc. It didn't unbalance anything, we seem to run about the same as other SWSE groups I've read about on these boards.

So in this case, Mon Cal would be +2 Int and Wis, Quarren would probably become +2 Con and Dex.

falconflicker
2009-10-25, 01:30 AM
Thanks, That helps a lot. Any notes on what the 2nd stat for Chiss or Miraluka would be? I picked the easiest example to show imbalance. I'm really more interested in Chiss and Miraluka.

My thoughts would be:
Chiss +2 INT, +2 CHA
Miraluka +2 INT, +2 WIS

Also, Nice comedian avatar, do you have a Nite Owl or Dr. Manhattan avatar I could use?

Grynning
2009-10-25, 01:36 AM
I don't have the KOTOR book to check the existing stats, it's out of print :smallfrown: . But those sound good. The only combo you would probably not want to have in abundance is Wis/Cha, the two main force use stats in one race.

The avatar was drawn by the guy in my sig, The Stoney One, who doesn't log in much anymore, sadly. But there is a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122056) where you can request someone draw you a cool avatar of your own.

Edit: Fixed the link so it goes to the updated thread

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-25, 01:42 AM
Miraluka -2 Dex +2 Int

One species I feel is very overpowered is the Gen'Dai. a +4 to con with -2 Cha and -2 Wis doesn't really balance it. Add to that they have a speed of 8, can regenerate limbs and their souble damage threshold and I'd hesitate to have them in a game.

Then there's how Lovecraftian they get as they age. What were they thinking?

falconflicker
2009-10-25, 01:54 AM
I was thinking of adopting Grynning's house rule, of humans get +2 any, and every other species gains +2 to 2 stats.
I agree that that race is pretty broken.

Also, for reference, Chiss's racial stat adjustment is +2 INT, nothing else.

Grynning
2009-10-25, 02:01 AM
I dunno about a Cha bonus for the Chiss, come to think of it. Sure, Thrawn was charismatic, but that was more a personal trait of his rather than a racial one. Given that they are portrayed as adept pilots and warriors, maybe Dex?

+2 Int/Wis for Miraluka sounds right. I think that's what our Miraluka got.

Tempest Fennac
2009-10-25, 02:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, how would you guys stat this race, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shistavanen out for SAGA? I'm curious because they weren't included in the rule book.

Grynning
2009-10-25, 02:06 AM
Just out of curiosity, how would you guys stat this race, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shistavanen out for SAGA? I'm curious because they weren't included in the rule book.

I'd go Str/Wis or Str/Dex. The two races that would be closest in 4th ed are Longtooth Shifters or Bugbears, and those are their stat bumps. Give them a scent special ability of some kind or maybe just a perception bonus, dunno about any other racial traits.

BTW I loved the short story that was from the perspective of the Shistavanen in the Mos Eisly cantina book. Made the character much more interesting than just a werewolf in space.

Edit: The wiki article mentions a healing ability. Maybe give them a 2nd wind related bonus feat. Plus low-light vision.

falconflicker
2009-10-25, 06:13 AM

For using more core rules, look at the Massassi.
Refluffing and editing their abilities might be a decent equivalent.
Specifically, replacing the weapon familiarity with some form of natural weapon might work.

Tempest Fennac
2009-10-25, 11:10 AM
I couldn't find Massassi stats in the core rulebook. What are their stats?

DarthNefarian
2009-10-25, 01:48 PM
The most OP species in SW saga are Kel-Dor, Gungan (yes they are!), female Devaronian and Chiss. Miraluka are imba only as a a force user, they have been better in a d20 ed.

falconflicker
2009-10-25, 03:38 PM
Massassi is from the Knights of the Old Republic expansion

Their statblock is as follows:

+4 STR, -2 INT, -2 WIS, -2 CHA

Medium
Speed 6

Conditional Bonus Feat: Skill Focus (Survival)
Duty Bound: 1/encounter, gain 4xlevel bonus hit points
Primative: No Weapon Proficiency (pistol, rifle, heavy weapons) as starting feats
Warrior's Awareness: 1/encounter, gain benefits of Uncanny Dodge I & II until the start of your next turn
Weapon Familiarity: Lanvarok (treat as simple rather than exotic)
Automatic Languages: Sith (No Basic)

NPCMook
2009-10-25, 04:15 PM
When I was just first getting into Star Wars Saga Edition, I remember a lot of people talking about the Pau'ans (http://wizards.com/starwars/downloads/Saga_Ed_Web_Enhancement_Pauans.pdf) being extremely over powered

Dixieboy
2009-10-25, 08:41 PM
When I was just first getting into Star Wars Saga Edition, I remember a lot of people talking about the Pau'ans (http://wizards.com/starwars/downloads/Saga_Ed_Web_Enhancement_Pauans.pdf) being extremely over powered

They DO get a bonus to both wis and cha, gets a +1 to quite a lot of buffs and gets a conditional skill focus in persuasion.