PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need to improve accuracy with ranged touch spells

jiriku
2009-10-25, 03:25 AM
I am building an orbizard focused on attacking through highly metamagicked versions of orb of fire and moonbow. I'm going to be making a lot of ranged touch attacks, and I need to optimize accuracy with these ranged attacks. Please help!

Ideas I have so far:
Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot
(I'd like to find a way to get these without feats so I can take more metamagic, but i'm willing to spend up to three feats to improve accuracy)

greater bracers of archery, gauntlets of dexterity

true strike, guided shot, guiding light, targeting ray, sure strike
(of these, only guided shot is really any good, since I expect to be throwing multiple rays per round, dropping targets quickly, and using my swift actions to cast additional offensive spells)

My build is a githyanki sorcerer 6/incantatrix 10/undecided 4 (houseruled to no level adjustment woohoo!)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-25, 03:51 AM
Heroism, Greater Heroism, Haste, etc.

Grumman
2009-10-25, 03:54 AM
Greater Invisibility, so they don't get armour or Dex to AC.

mostlyharmful
2009-10-25, 04:00 AM
- get a cleric to drop a Divine Favour or three into a minor spell storing ring

- accept that some aren't always going to hit and be satisfied with targetting flat-footed touch AC with a ring of blink or the greater Invis mentioned above while kicking ass and laughing manicly.

Eldariel
2009-10-25, 05:22 AM
You can also get Competence and Luck-bonus from Luckstone and that stupid Competence Ioun Stone. They run a goodly sum of money though, so beware. Rod of Magical Precision [Complete Mage] allows you to get "Precise Shot" for free and 3/day (free action) ignore miss chances and all that (as per Improved Precise Shot). It's 12k but still worth it.

Warlock's Scepter [MiC] would provide +1 profane but given you cannot utilize its primary effect, it's not really worth it.

As for the last 4 levels, consider Spellwarp Sniper; I really enjoy Metamagicked Wings of Flurry Ray (no-save Daze and uncapped 1d6/CL Force damage) personally.

TheCountAlucard
2009-10-25, 05:43 AM
Y'know, this reminds me... the party I DM for has a Warlock in it, and while he's not particularly powerful, I can only clearly recall his eldritch blast missing about three times over the course of the campaign, which started sometime before summer. Two of those were the result of rolling a one, and the last was the result of a math error on my part; otherwise, it would've hit.

Like they said, go with that ring of blink or somesuch; as pitifully easy as it is to make a ranged touch attack, doing it against a flatfooted opponent is that much easier.

Eldariel
2009-10-25, 05:47 AM
Y'know, this reminds me... the party I DM for has a Warlock in it, and while he's not particularly powerful, I can only clearly recall his eldritch blast missing about three times over the course of the campaign, which started sometime before summer. Two of those were the result of rolling a one, and the last was the result of a math error on my part; otherwise, it would've hit.

Like they said, go with that ring of blink or somesuch; as pitifully easy as it is to make a ranged touch attack, doing it against a flatfooted opponent is that much easier.

Speaking of which, getting something that allows rerolling 1s can be very helpful. The 5% is a bit ridiculous considering that's half your turn right there. Luck-domain or something.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-25, 05:55 AM
Make sure you have a belt of magnificence, a pale green Ioun Stone, and a luckstone. Other than that though? If you're really missing touch attacks at that level, something is wrong (likely the enemy has buffs which you should dispel). Otherwise drop a spellsurged, fusion with Truestrike in it.