PDA

View Full Version : The Whinge Thread

Serpentine
2009-10-25, 03:30 AM
When it's not bad enough for the Depression thread, and not relevant to the Relationships thread.

I'm trying to find a top to finish off my "Masked Stranger" costume. I need a swashbuckly type of black top with puffy sleeves and ties instead of buttons. I've found a bunch... all either too big or too small :smallsigh: On one eBay shop in particular, there's one that would be perfect, except... according to its sizing, I'm a XXL. The closest to that size is XXXXXL, of all things. There's a second-best one, but its smallest is XXXL. I know it's a plus-size shop, but sheesh...

GRARG!
Time to abandon eBay...

cycoris
2009-10-25, 10:23 AM
When it's not bad enough for the Depression thread, and not relevant to the Relationships thread.

I'm trying to find a top to finish off my "Masked Stranger" costume. I need a swashbuckly type of black top with puffy sleeves and ties instead of buttons. I've found a bunch... all either too big or too small :smallsigh: On one eBay shop in particular, there's one that would be perfect, except... according to its sizing, I'm a XXL. The closest to that size is XXXXXL, of all things. There's a second-best one, but its smallest is XXXL. I know it's a plus-size shop, but sheesh...

GRARG!
Time to abandon eBay...

Hmmm, have you tried Etsy?

I'm going to whinge because I have a paper due tonight and I haven't even started it yet because yesterday I was feeling totally braindead. Also, I think I may be getting sick. :smallannoyed:

Raewyn
2009-10-25, 10:35 AM
Apparently, "arguing with a stranger about Pathfinder mechanics on the Paizo boards" is on par with "interact with my girlfriend" on BF's list of priorities. :smallannoyed:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-25, 11:14 AM
Apparently, "arguing with a stranger about Pathfinder mechanics on the Paizo boards" is on par with "interact with my girlfriend" on BF's list of priorities. :smallannoyed:

Oh God, please don't tell me your boyfriend's name is Michael

Jacklu
2009-10-25, 11:33 AM
Blah. Apparently we needed a new mirror in the bathroom. And while I was at work, the decision was made that "Hey, Jacklu has a nice mirror in his room! Let's just take that one!" It isn't even about the stupid mirror. It's the principle of the thing. That apparently it is fine to just take my stuff if I'm not around to say no. :smallannoyed:

skywalker
2009-10-25, 12:00 PM

But honey, it's important! (http://xkcd.com/386/)

Totally Guy
2009-10-25, 12:17 PM
Grrr...

My brand new MacBook comes with normal Leopard OS but also has a Snow Leopard OS disc. But my magic internet stick only works with normal Leopard. And I decided to install Snow Leopard.

But I didn't know this until I'd done it. And they don't have a patch. And I can't get rid of the internet contract (well I probably could but I'd have to look up many fancy words). Other than it not working I'd be happy to continue with it.

So I'm having to restore factory settings to get rid of Snow Leopard to get my internet back.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-25, 12:56 PM
The word "whinge". It just...it...but it looks so WRONG! >.<

Stupid British spelling...*grumblegrumble*...

:smallwink:

Totally Guy
2009-10-25, 01:16 PM
Show a Brit "Color" and they'll say, "It's american".

Show an American "Colour" and they'll say "It's wrong".

SurlySeraph
2009-10-25, 01:19 PM
I am terrible at time management. Terrible at it. I was great at it in high school. I'm not anymore.

I should be doing my problem sets and reading and essay now.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-25, 01:24 PM

No, no. U's, I can take. They actually look nice, sometimes. It's "whinge". It looks completely different from "whine", and the way I want to pronounce it sounds...ridiculous. =P

Pyrian
2009-10-25, 01:46 PM

Show an American "Colour" and they'll say "It's wrong".My experience is almost 100% vice-versa. :smalltongue:

Let's see, I think I'll complain about my #1 favorite person to complain about. The person most likely to ruin any given thing in my life. My only roommate. And the worst procrastinator I know. Y'know. Me.

Last night I purchased material to re-build my badly damaged dragon costume (http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/Pyrian/Party/2009_FWF/?action=view&current=FWF2009_38.jpg) in a hopefully better looking and more survivable form. Last time I built scales for this thing, I made one-quarter as many, and it took me about three times as long as I have now. I should've started this project in September, dammit.

Raewyn
2009-10-25, 02:10 PM
Oh God, please don't tell me your boyfriend's name is Michael

Nope, and he's trying to get better (sorta hard for him though since he has ADD). Was just really frustrating at the time.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-25, 02:32 PM
No, no. U's, I can take. They actually look nice, sometimes. It's "whinge". It looks completely different from "whine", and the way I want to pronounce it sounds...ridiculous. =P

I know.

I didn't realize what "Whinge" was suppsoed to be until you commented on it.

Stadge
2009-10-25, 02:58 PM
Argh! Why can I never get round to doing work properly. Ok, I've done my Old Norse translation that's due at 3pm tomorrow, so that's a start, but I've still got an essay on Alfred the Great for tomorrow eveing that's had hardly any work done to it, and I know I'll leave my work now untill tomorrow morning. Hmm, ten hours should be ok maybe... This really can't be the right way to do things in this place I'm sure =s

Ah well, I'll get my next essay on Tuesday and I promise I'll do work on it as soon as I get it.

Coidzor
2009-10-25, 03:04 PM
I'm going to whinge because I can't seem to get my housemate to understand how inappropriate it is to try to make someone that doesn't have any interest in sparring with them their sparring partner.

Pyrian
2009-10-25, 03:08 PM
Ask if you can bring a gun to the next round? :smallwink:

Jibar
2009-10-25, 03:11 PM
I hate Facebook's birthday service since I know after 6 years odd of people forgetting my birthday I'm going to get a flood of 'happy bday xxx' without anyone actually knowing it was coming.

I also hate girl talk when two chicks look at each other, do a facial expression and a little inflection to carry across at least 11 different messages in one sentence. Not good for my paranoia.

And... uh... I hate not knowing how to turn down my radiator as it's really warm in my room and having the window open for too long makes me get all guilty.

Oh yeah, and I can't find the local Buddhist Centre despite doing like 4 laps of the place it's meant to be.

I can whinge a lot, huh?

Eldan
2009-10-25, 03:28 PM
I've been working on an essay about carbon fluxes in boreal peat bogs all day. I've said every damn thing I know to say about it, added a lot of useless filler and it's still 250 words short.

It's too friggin' hot in here as well. My neighbours annoying little dog has been barking all day without pause, and since said neighbour loves doing stuff at his house, he's been using some kind of incredibly loud and shrill grinder all day. Not even the earplugs are helping.

I've spent all weekend inside, alone, hanging on the internet or just doing pretty much nothing. Not that this is different from any other weekend in the last few years, but I still hate it.

Hmm. Now I'm out of ideas on what to whine about. My left foot's been itching all day. :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-25, 03:30 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: These threads for consolidating all the forum's anger about all and sundry topics in one thread tend to end poorly. Typically, people can't help but rant (or whinge, if you prefer) about inappropriate topics, with excessive profanity, or in some other manner contrary to the Forum Rules. If this thread can be done without those, great, but please do be careful.

Elfin
2009-10-25, 03:32 PM

Glug, you're awesome.
And at least in my opinion, the British spellings are so much more appealing anyway.

Alteran
2009-10-25, 03:34 PM
And at least in my opinion, the British spellings are so much more appealing anyway.

I agree in most cases, but not for "whinge". It just feels so...wrong. :smallyuk:

I'm also incapable of pronouncing it like "whine" when I read it, apparently.

Dogmantra
2009-10-25, 03:36 PM

They're actually different words. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whinge) It is pronounced "winnj". They're synonymous, but they're different!

My whinge: I was upset for a bit because I thought my entire family was deluded into thinking a word existed that didn't exist. (A really cool word, too!)

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-25, 05:30 PM
Actually, like most synonyms there are incredibly subtle inflections in the meaning.
A 'whine' can be whining about anything and can easily be justified or unustified.
A 'whinge' is slightly more childish and generally is something that can't be well justified.

Example:
I'm here to whinge about my essay. It's entirely my fault because I've been procrastinating and reading and allowing myself to be distracted. So while it's a justified whinge it's only justified in that I did it to myself. Therefore it's unjustified as far as outside influences go.

Whining would be about my heavy workload because it's not something I can control or avoid doing an still stay on at my university.

It's a really subtle difference, so when people say "Don't winge" it implies a slightly more childish aspect to the complaint than whining does.[/lesson]

Aside from my essay I'd like to whinge about the weather: IT'S. COLD. And I can't find my gloves. And I'm annoyed in that I want to wear my gloves even though it's barely the end of the month and I've been here just barely three weeks.

arguskos
2009-10-25, 05:35 PM
Pyrian's new avatar scares me. That moon... with the hat... :smalleek:

Anyways, whinging time. Um. I still lack a car, and my old form of transportation is the frikkin' bus system... which doesn't run on Sunday, which means I can't see my girlfriend, who I rarely see anymore anyways, since she's so insanely busy. :smallannoyed:

Flickerdart
2009-10-25, 05:48 PM
I dropped a 19 inch CRT monitor on my toe, but it's not even bruised or anything. Also had to clean out my brother's old junk from under a table that hasn't moved in 6 years. Eeeeww.

Coidzor
2009-10-25, 05:57 PM
I haven't been able to find the time to go shopping for my halloween costume at all. :smallfrown:

Trog
2009-10-25, 06:19 PM
Feeling ill for the second day in a row. No more energy for the remainder of the day. At least I got all of the yard work done and the cooking for the day. Anything else is gonna have to wait. Blarghity-Blargh-Blargh. *collapses onto floor*

Dr. Bath
2009-10-25, 06:25 PM
I just lost/had stolen my wallet with every form of Identification (minus passport which is currently completely unaccesable) I have in it. And some money. And the railcard I need for my 40 pound train tickets to work. And my student Id and my debit card.

Also firefox is all mucked up.

Whinge whinge whinge.

Blaine.Bush
2009-10-25, 06:40 PM
Stop using that word! My brain, it itches!

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-25, 07:00 PM
I just lost/had stolen my wallet with every form of Identification (minus passport which is currently completely unaccesable) I have in it. And some money. And the railcard I need for my 40 pound train tickets to work. And my student Id and my debit card.

Also firefox is all mucked up.

Whinge whinge whinge.

Holy holiness. :smalleek:
This isn't a whinge. This a worthy of a major panic and much desparate phoning around to banks, the university, the train company, parents and friends in case they might have seen it.
I hope it's only lost and that you get it back really soon.
*hugs*

Dr. Bath
2009-10-25, 07:05 PM
Well. I got on the bus with it, and got off without it. Debit cards been cancelled, spoken with bus company, been to the depo, given them both my, and my friend's mobile numbers and will probably file a police report in the morning (it helps dealing with the bank apparently). Been yelled at by parents to, so I've covered all the bases.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-25, 07:19 PM
Well. I got on the bus with it, and got off without it. Debit cards been cancelled, spoken with bus company, been to the depo, given them both my, and my friend's mobile numbers and will probably file a police report in the morning (it helps dealing with the bank apparently). Been yelled at by parents to, so I've covered all the bases.

Okay, the yelling's really harsh. You can't exactly have your hand in your pocket all the time. With me it'd be vaguely justifiable as I'm ever - so - slightly careless with my wallet, but you don't seem the type to let it into the attention of scurrilous people.
Glad everything's as sorted as it can be for the nonce though.

SkadisPhoenix
2009-10-25, 07:42 PM
I'm so glad this thread exists. I'm fed up with people at the moment. It seems that whenever the majority of my so-called friends have problems, I'm the one to offload onto, but when it's ME needing THEM to talk to about things on my mind, people are either too busy, or are too upset (like tonight). :smallmad:

I suppose I should be flattered that people come to me about their problems, but it'd be nice if they returned the favour for once! Or is that too much to ask? :smallfrown:

arguskos
2009-10-25, 07:59 PM
I'm so glad this thread exists. I'm fed up with people at the moment. It seems that whenever the majority of my so-called friends have problems, I'm the one to offload onto, but when it's ME needing THEM to talk to about things on my mind, people are either too busy, or are too upset (like tonight). :smallmad:

I suppose I should be flattered that people come to me about their problems, but it'd be nice if they returned the favour for once! Or is that too much to ask? :smallfrown:
Now, that's why you are here at the playground! We're never too busy to hear your problems. :smallsmile:

As I like to say, any friend of Kobold-Bard's is a friend of mine. He's a good dude after all. :smallwink:

As for my whinging, I still can't see my gf. Makes me sad. :smallfrown:

SilverSheriff
2009-10-26, 01:24 AM
Australians who celebrate Halloween.
Also: Tourists who do like-wise.

Anybody comes to my door and says 'trick or treat' gets my foot in their mouth or a Rickroll...:smallsigh: guess which one is the treat.

billtodamax
2009-10-26, 01:44 AM
Australians who celebrate Halloween.
Also: Tourists who do like-wise.

Anybody comes to my door and says 'trick or treat' gets my foot in their mouth or a Rickroll...:smallsigh: guess which one is the treat.

I'm hiring roof mounted lasers for the event. :smalltongue:

As for my whinge: I hate having to write things. I'm writing a speech, and my dad told me to write my ideas down. I wrote down cat. Graaaaah!

SilverSheriff
2009-10-26, 06:11 AM
I'm hiring roof mounted lasers for the event. :smalltongue:

As for my whinge: I hate having to write things. I'm writing a speech, and my dad told me to write my ideas down. I wrote down cat. Graaaaah!

I can picture this:

"Ideas:

important and relevant words
Cat....?"

*Rage, scrunch up paper and start again*

SkadisPhoenix
2009-10-26, 06:15 AM
Now, that's why you are here at the playground! We're never too busy to hear your problems. :smallsmile:

As I like to say, any friend of Kobold-Bard's is a friend of mine. He's a good dude after all. :smallwink:

As for my whinging, I still can't see my gf. Makes me sad. :smallfrown:

I was only asking for input on a tarot reading I had done as well, wouldn't have taken long. Meh, never mind. And he is the best person in my life, as cheesey and sappy as that is! :smallredface: :smalltongue:

How come you can't see your girlfriend? I can sympathise there!

OK, another small whinge. I'm watching the repeat of X Factor, as I missed it last night, and Westlife just performed their new single. I liked it. I don't WANNA like Westlife damn it! :smalltongue:

Quincunx
2009-10-26, 06:20 AM
I hope, I hope, I hope that all-lavender, all-italics, perfumed and posied post is another lamentation of the death of GeoCities, because if it isn't, I have a whinge! Also: Regional variations in canned food are very bad when looking for a comfort food. I looked forward to tomato soup of unnatural pinkness and watered-down tomato flavor, and got unnaturally orange, cheap-ketchup flavor. :smallfrown:

Castaras
2009-10-26, 06:33 AM
Can I just not give a reason for whinging, and just whinge anyway? Need to just Whinge rather than give reasons.

Whinge whinge whinge. :smallsigh: :smallannoyed:

SkadisPhoenix
2009-10-26, 06:40 AM
I hope, I hope, I hope that all-lavender, all-italics, perfumed and posied post is another lamentation of the death of GeoCities, because if it isn't, I have a whinge! Also: Regional variations in canned food are very bad when looking for a comfort food. I looked forward to tomato soup of unnatural pinkness and watered-down tomato flavor, and got unnaturally orange, cheap-ketchup flavor. :smallfrown:

My post? Nope, I just REALLY like the colour purple, spiritually it's about inner power... And it's purty. :smalltongue:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-26, 06:51 AM
Someone once said to me; "Go down to Bunnings, grab some concrete, have a teaspoon, and harden up, princess". Just something to think about.

HellfireLover
2009-10-26, 06:52 AM
I wish to whinge about the fact that I am apparently so disorganized that I cannot even buy basic grocery items like bread and milk which would enable me to eat breakfast, and that I am therefore reduced to drinking endless cups of tea and hoping that lunchtime would hurry up so I can go cadge some food off my mother. Was I not supposed to have grown up by now? :smallsigh:

KuReshtin
2009-10-26, 07:44 AM
I want to whinge about myself being stupid enough to sit here at my desk at work, doing actual work through my lunch hour, cause I know that if I don't I'll not have time to finish up before I'm supposed to go home this afternoon.

I think I'll go have me a nice, big ice cream when I get home today. Chocolate chip minty ice cream and Daim chip ice cream.. Or maybe Black-Forest Gateau ice cream. Hmm..

Anuan
2009-10-26, 08:04 AM
My MSN is not working -_- It tells me there's a problem with the keyports. Everything else is working, and I was using MSN ten minutes ago. Argh.

Edit: Fixed! 8D

KilltheToy
2009-10-26, 08:04 AM
I have an upper respiratory bug that's overall been annoying. I somehow got enough sleep last night in spite of all the coughing.

I'm also staying home from school for the first time since 3rd grade, which is great for obvious reasons, but at the same time kinda dissapointing since I had a streak going :smallfrown:.

Also also: The Yankees won last night, thus making the 2009 World Series Yankees vs. Phillies. That was the one result I didn't want.

Gullara
2009-10-26, 11:05 AM
I know.

I didn't realize what "Whinge" was suppsoed to be until you commented on it.

Myself as well, and I'm Canadian.

SkadisPhoenix
2009-10-26, 11:41 AM
OK, now I really HAVE had it with people! :smallmad: Somebody just signed on to MSN, wished me good luck for the game my boyfriend was going to be running tonight, I explained that it wasn't happening because he has a job interview (PLEASE cross your fingers for us! :smallbiggrin:), and that I thought he'd e-mailed. As in, sorry "you didn't get the e-mail, I'll talk to Kobold-Bard about it, and work out what's going on", and the guy who was talking to me got all shirty and signed off! What is WITH people at the moment! *breathes* OK, I'm calm again, you can ignore me! :smallwink:

You guys seem to be the only SANE people around at the moment! :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2009-10-26, 11:44 AM

If being in love makes people crazy then I guess I'm the only sane man in my group.

Etcetera
2009-10-26, 11:45 AM
Heh, sane. How little you know. I've got nothing specific to whinge about at the moment, only the usual background whinging that comes with being a human over the age of 0.

Which probably means I've p*ssed someone off.

Gullara
2009-10-26, 11:45 AM

Why thank you. could you hold my monkey because I think he's going to explode? :smallwink:

SkadisPhoenix
2009-10-26, 12:03 PM
Why thank you. could you hold my monkey because I think he's going to explode? :smallwink:

Oooh! MONKEY! :smallbiggrin:

Uh oh, hang on? EXPLODE?! *whimpers* :smalltongue:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-26, 12:25 PM

Well, show a Brit something that's wrong and they automatically assume it's American :smallamused:

Dr. Bath
2009-10-26, 12:28 PM
Well, show a Brit something that's wrong and they automatically assume it's American :smallamused:

Nonono. Show a Brit something that's wrong and they automatically assume it's foreign. What kind of foreign is decided on a case by case basis.

Gullara
2009-10-26, 12:46 PM
Oooh! MONKEY! :smallbiggrin:

Uh oh, hang on? EXPLODE?! *whimpers* :smalltongue:

Don't worry he explodes into a bunch of smaller monkeys. :smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-26, 12:52 PM
MONDAY IS EVIL. NO SCHOOL. >.<

*falls asleep in every class* >.<

lsfreak
2009-10-26, 12:55 PM
400 pages and related 6-page paper that I thought was due in a week is due tomorrow. Fortunately I remembered a couple days ago, just... eck.

I feel really bad for my sister because she's having a really tough time in Chem. And I either don't remember the stuff she's doing or never got that far into chem. Which sucks because I'm used to being able to help her out.

I'm doing successively worse and worse in school because I care less and less about a letter on a piece of paper saying supposedly how well I'm doing. Also I'm a senior in college and seriously considering changing my major. Or maybe just staying in college, pingponging between majors until they kick me out.

Can I also whine about preferring to whine rather than fix whatever I'm whining about? :smallsigh:

bluewind95
2009-10-26, 01:14 PM
I have a course start tomorrow (after a whole year of doing... nearly nothing). It's going to last 6 months, from 8 am to 5 pm. It's going to be hell for me. Upon remarking this to my aunt, I got an "Aww, you poor thing, you're not used to work anymore". Blah! We all know I am SICK and THAT is why it's going to be hell! Seriously, do they still think, despite the diagnosis, that I just fell asleep in class and failed several of them because I WANTED to? That it's much fun to have to take the classes again? Or that it's anywhere near enjoyable to sleep through the classes, do poorly in daily work and then be stressed half to death because I have to get a super-grade in the exam to pass the class? And do so with a mediocre grade despite getting the highest possible grade on the exam? Or that it's a really grand and wonderful thing to sleep the proper amount and still be dropping asleep in class (or if not outright asleep, feeling my brain cloud over in lack of blood and energy) after a few hours of being sitting down quietly? Yes, certainly, it seems I totally enjoy all this and I really should just suck it up and get used to the schedule. Looks like they all still think I love being jobless and whatnot, and it's just a choice of mine to have no energy to do anything, and definitely, it's "all in my mind". :smallannoyed:

Whinge, whinge, whinge. :smallsigh:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-26, 01:24 PM
I just lost four hundred words of my essay due to a glitch, and to top it off, the article that I need to access to rewrite it and the next point is mysteriously not on the site where it was an hour ago.
And I'd favourited it too, so it's not a case of "I can't remember what the article's called" either.
It's due in tomorrow and now instead of being a near three hundred words short of the total I'm now close to eight hundred words off my minimum total.

And I still need to talk about Great Expectations, and I despised that book.

HellfireLover
2009-10-26, 01:36 PM
I feel really strange for complaining about this, but my new jeans, which were comfortable when I bought them six weeks ago, are now literally falling off me as I walk about. I don't know whether to be chuffed or whether to cry in sheer bloody frustration that after two years of making do with scaffy old clobber, the moment I buy new stuff my body decides to take me on a magical mystery tour through the women's clothing sizes.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-26, 02:22 PM
And that's why we all appreciate belts.

I just lost four hundred words of my essay
I thought Koorly ctrl-S'd like crazeh?:smallconfused:

My own whinge:
My new friend group exists mainly out of four people.
Two of them have known eachother for years.
Same case with the other two.
Coupled with me being lightly authistic(The social part of my brains never really developed.:smalltongue:) makes me feel slightly like a outsider.

But this is probably due to:
1. I overthink stuff, really.
2. I have no self confidence.
3. Stuff. ><

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-26, 04:44 PM
I feel really strange for complaining about this, but my new jeans, which were comfortable when I bought them six weeks ago, are now literally falling off me as I walk about. I don't know whether to be chuffed or whether to cry in sheer bloody frustration that after two years of making do with scaffy old clobber, the moment I buy new stuff my body decides to take me on a magical mystery tour through the women's clothing sizes.
Wait, isn't jeans falling off you a good thing? :smallconfused:

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 04:56 PM
@HellFireLover - I have a similar issue with a pair of jeans. I make sure I dry them twice in the dryer on high. Though you may also need to employ a belt, or a budget... I am expecting budget though....

Belts and dryers can only do so much.

My whinge (Though this totally breaks Dale Carnegie rule Number 1, Don't Criticize, Condemn or Complain)

I am in school... as most people are here... but my program is accelerated, my type of school is famous for it. I am in class from 9 till 5 most days, and then when I come home I have 3-4 hours of studying to do, on top of full weekend study sessions.

Rarely am I able to organize and motivate myself to study that much, that is just what I know I would have to do to master the material in the way I would like to. So I do what I can. Now all that wouldn't be so bad... but it seems that I hang onto the information for about 2 weeks, and our exams come every 4.

Sitting in review today for the exam we are going to have on Wednesday, I had basically forgotten everything I knew when I presented a mini review to my friends 2 weeks ago.

I am getting 8 hours of sleep a night, I am eating right and exercising, and all sorts of stuff to help retention... but I am beginning to fear it's because I am getting old....

We will see next week when I get my exam results back, I feel like I keep working harder and harder and knowing the material more and more, but I keep passing only 2 out of 3 of my exams. :smallmad:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-26, 04:59 PM
Thes, out of curiousity, what school are you at? I heard U. Chicago does this for med and frankly I don't exactly want to go to a school that's that accelerated :smallfrown: - I have no life as it is (and UC along with Northwestern are right now my top two choices if I decide to go to the US instead of staying in Canada).

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 05:16 PM
The school is Wayne State University (and no, likely you have never heard of it).

Anyone who is on my Facebook has a good idea what I am going to school for...

I leave it deliberately vague because I do not want people taking any advice I might give as anything other than what some random stranger on the internet said.

Because that is what I am, a random stranger on the internet.

I am not a doctor and even if I was, the most important thing is I am not your doctor.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-26, 05:24 PM
Borderlands.
Or lack thereof.
(Weeeeeeeak)

Astrella
2009-10-26, 06:14 PM
Gah, painting (warhammer) really isn't working out. Can't even seem to get an even coat of paint any more. :smallannoyed:

Jibar
2009-10-26, 06:16 PM
Anyone who is on my Facebook has a good idea what I am going to school for...

*insert obscure reference to British boy band Busted here*

Although your Facebook statuses are always enlightening.

Pyrian
2009-10-26, 06:22 PM
Gah, painting (warhammer) really isn't working out. Can't even seem to get an even coat of paint any more. :smallannoyed:Come to chaos. You can screw up horribly and pretend it was intentional. :smallcool:

Fostire
2009-10-26, 06:36 PM
My facebook is now infested with political talk, and it's annoying as hell. Out of the dozens of people arguing only 2 have even a slight idea what they're talking about. They're also the only two that keep their discussions civil and friendly.
From previous experience, I know that this will last for a couple of months and I can't stop checking facebook because that's where I get most of my friend's news. :smallannoyed:

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 07:24 PM
@CatMuffin, I think my status jumped the shark when I started talking about decapatations, cause my comment count is down... but that may be because I backed off the gross out stuff because I thought I was over-doing it.

Gah, painting (warhammer) really isn't working out. Can't even seem to get an even coat of paint any more. :smallannoyed:

1) Primer, base coat or the real deal?
2) GW paints or other (like Reaper)
3) What kind of water are you using for dilution?

without knowing the answers to the above questions I would say try watering the paint down. GW paints are especially bad at being too thick. Watering down the paint where you have especially hard water can lead to a 'chalky' appearance in the paint, so try using distilled water to thin.

And one of these days I'll allow myself the time to paint again, when I am not so busy wigging out about needing to study. :smalleek:

arguskos
2009-10-26, 07:41 PM
Ugh. Folks who can't stand some jokes aggravate me greatly, especially when I simply join a conversation and instantly draw all the fire for something someone else started. :smallannoyed: Oh well, time to stop posting outside of Gaming again. :smallsigh:

KilltheToy
2009-10-26, 09:39 PM
Come to chaos. You can screw up horribly and pretend it was intentional. :smallcool:

This, especially if you choose Daemons instead of Chaos Marines.

Then again, the same thing could be said of Orks.

Serpentine
2009-10-26, 11:23 PM
I'm getting a migrane. This has both pros and cons.

Cons:
- I may have to give up on doing any uni work, because I can't read properly and it may get bad soon.
- I'm likely to start feeling nauseous and headachey very soon.
- I can't see properly.

Pros:
- I may have a legitimate reason to give up on work for today.
- I don't get really bad symptoms. A bit of nausea and a dull headache that lasts several days are the worst.
- I actually find the secondary symptoms quite entertaining. Normally I get a weird bit of numbness, and I always have a sort of blindness, that starts out as an empty space at the corner of my eye and eventually becomes a blotch of TV static in the middle of my vision.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-27, 12:16 AM
I should have probably mentioned this before today, but..

I had three(!) midterms today. Worth 25, 25 and 30 percent of the mark for each class. I survived! Woo!

Trog
2009-10-27, 12:40 AM
I'm getting a migrane. This has both pros and cons.

Cons:
- I may have to give up on doing any uni work, because I can't read properly and it may get bad soon.
- I'm likely to start feeling nauseous and headachey very soon.
- I can't see properly.

Pros:
- I may have a legitimate reason to give up on work for today.
- I don't get really bad symptoms. A bit of nausea and a dull headache that lasts several days are the worst.
- I actually find the secondary symptoms quite entertaining. Normally I get a weird bit of numbness, and I always have a sort of blindness, that starts out as an empty space at the corner of my eye and eventually becomes a blotch of TV static in the middle of my vision.
O.o Aside from that first pro they all sound like cons to me. Yikes.

I've only had a migraine once in my life (and never as bad as you are describing, thankfully). Still, it's a miserable experience I'd rather not duplicate. Feel better soon! *turns down lights and noise and gets Serp a cool compress for the back of her neck. Tiptoes out*

Anuan
2009-10-27, 12:43 AM
...I am slightly wierded out that Serp lists 'partial blindness' in the 'Pros' of having a migraine.
No offense ._.

Serpentine
2009-10-27, 12:48 AM
It's entertaining :smalltongue:

Head... starting to ache v.v

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-27, 12:56 AM
Eh, welcome to my world, Serpy.
*hands some soup and silence*

The Sight thing: Serp, I'm slightly weirded out that you find that a pro.
I know myself that my chronic migraines and me having bad eyesight(and not wearing glasses) have been mutual causes.

These days it doesn't really matter that much whether I wear glasses or not, but my eyes get tired pretty easily and can't read from distances(Say, if I were to drive a car, I'd have to wear glasses)

Please check that out with your neurologist and then your optometrist(s?).

I'm feeling pretty lucky that my chronic migraines don't include nausea...

Serpentine
2009-10-27, 01:19 AM
I find it funny that my migraine has been the subject of the most interest in this thread, and that people are so disturbed by the entertainment I derive from visual weirdness :smalltongue: (tip for you folks: you probably wouldn't like hallucinagens :smallwink:)

This is the first migraine I've gotten in... months, at least, probably more like a year or two. I've got glasses, fairly recently had the lenses replaced. Vision's probably not an issue, and they don't happen often nor severely enough to be a big problem. Dr Mum gets them too. She's never mentioned it being serious enough to warrant a trip to a specialist.

TFT
2009-10-27, 01:19 AM
3 essays, a research paper, and an egg drop project, all(not including other, random daily assignments) having to be done by thursday.

Wish me luck.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-27, 01:38 AM
I find it funny that my migraine has been the subject of the most interest in this thread, and that people are so disturbed by the entertainment I derive from visual weirdness :smalltongue: (tip for you folks: you probably wouldn't like hallucinagens :smallwink:)

This is the first migraine I've gotten in... months, at least, probably more like a year or two. I've got glasses, fairly recently had the lenses replaced. Vision's probably not an issue, and they don't happen often nor severely enough to be a big problem. Dr Mum gets them too. She's never mentioned it being serious enough to warrant a trip to a specialist.
Serpie, I know from my own experience, that small stuff can grow out to be bigger through chain reactions.

That might be it, the combination of you having new glasses and migraines. They getting it on funkeh.

Ah, if it's a thing in the family, your mom who has had it longer will probably know better.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 01:49 AM
I have a massive migraine, and I still have a Precal project to do (that i don't understand) and another research paper to do. This is all do tomorrow... Hurray procrastination!

-Wrath

arguskos
2009-10-27, 01:59 AM
Ohshi- I have another whinge (super petty too XD): Endless Wrath changed his avatar. :smalleek: I didn't even recognize you there, I'm so used to Jace.

Serpentine
2009-10-27, 02:32 AM
Serpie, I know from my own experience, that small stuff can grow out to be bigger through chain reactions.

That might be it, the combination of you having new glasses and migraines. They getting it on funkeh.

Ah, if it's a thing in the family, your mom who has had it longer will probably know better.No no no, I meant, it wasn't because of too-old glasses because they were checked relatively recently, and it's certainly not because of new glasses because this is the first time (that I can remember) since I got said glasses a number of months (or a year?) ago. It's just happens sometimes. I've heard somewhere not long ago that relief from stress (such as going on holidays) can trigger migraines, and a couple of times it's turned up when I'm feeling reasonably relaxed and good.
It's not that big a deal, just one of those things that occasionally just happen. Don't worry, mah brain's not a-gonna asplode :smalltongue:

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 02:42 AM
Ohshi- I have another whinge (super petty too XD): Endless Wrath changed his avatar. :smalleek: I didn't even recognize you there, I'm so used to Jace.
WHAT!?!? I changed it >.< How can that be! </denial>

Whine! I changed my avatar!

double whine: I'm too lazy to make one for halloween in the playground :smallfrown:. I wouldn't be good at it. I have no idea how to make avatars anyways.

Gah! *Whine! Darn insomnia! I can't go play Xbox to kill zombies, and I have class in the morning! Procrastination + boredom + needing sleep = bad combination and need for super powers.

anyone have any meteor rocks i can have?

-Wrath

arguskos
2009-10-27, 02:43 AM
anyone have any meteor rocks i can have?
Uh, what's a meteor rock? And, why would I give you one? :smalltongue:

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 02:47 AM
Uh, what's a meteor rock? And, why would I give you one? :smalltongue:

Sorry.

Thought you got the reference. (http://davidfilms.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/smallville.jpeg) Meteor rocks sometimes are also called Superman's Weakness (http://moonbeammcqueen.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/kryptonite.jpg)

Parental Unit made me watch smallville with him. Not that I dont like the show, just wasnt in the mood </whine>

Double whine: I've done too much whining at 4am.
-Wrath

arguskos
2009-10-27, 02:49 AM
Sorry.

Thought you got the reference. (http://davidfilms.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/smallville.jpeg) Meteor rocks sometimes are also called Superman's Weakness (http://moonbeammcqueen.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/kryptonite.jpg)

Parental Unit made me watch smallville with him. Not that I dont like the show, just wasnt in the mood </whine>

Double whine: I've done too much whining at 4am.
-Wrath
Well, why would you WANT Kryptonite? It's nigh-useless, IIRC.

Also, epic derail is epic?

Further also, a dude I know is bombarding me with facts I don't care about concerning a mutual friend who's playing poker right now. :smallannoyed: /ontopic

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 02:58 AM
Well, why would you WANT Kryptonite? It's nigh-useless, IIRC.

In smallville, meteor rocks give powers to normals.

----------------

Also, epic derail is epic?

Yes. Yes it is.

---------------

Further also, a dude I know is bombarding me with facts I don't care about concerning a mutual friend who's playing poker right now. :smallannoyed: /ontopic

I saw this in a dream once. Dejavu. Arguskos get out of my dreams!

also, I've had the same situation before. I must agree it is a little annoying.

Also: wrath is too tired to stay on the playground :smallsigh:
-Wrath

arguskos
2009-10-27, 02:59 AM
In smallville, meteor rocks give powers to normals.
...really? I mean... REALLY?? :sigh:

Yes. Yes it is.
Yeaaaaaaah.

I saw this in a dream once. Dejavu. Arguskos get out of my dreams!

also, I've had the same situation before. I must agree it is a little annoying.

Also: wrath is too tired to stay on the playground :smallsigh:
-Wrath
Apologies, but it's comfy in there. :smallamused:

Anyways, I'll stop being all derailing.

Astrella
2009-10-27, 05:13 AM
Come to chaos. You can screw up horribly and pretend it was intentional. :smallcool:

This, especially if you choose Daemons instead of Chaos Marines.

Then again, the same thing could be said of Orks.

I'm painting Chaos (Warriors of Chaos to be more precise). :smalltongue:

1) Primer, base coat or the real deal?
2) GW paints or other (like Reaper)
3) What kind of water are you using for dilution?

without knowing the answers to the above questions I would say try watering the paint down. GW paints are especially bad at being too thick. Watering down the paint where you have especially hard water can lead to a 'chalky' appearance in the paint, so try using distilled water to thin.

And one of these days I'll allow myself the time to paint again, when I am not so busy wigging out about needing to study. :smalleek:

The colour base coats. I do think my paints a lot, perhaps even a bit too much, but I'm just finding it difficult to get the colour to the same everywhere. There will always be some variations in tint, or brush strokes visible.

And I'm really really starting to dislike gw paints, the paint dries far to fast.
Oh well, gonna have another try tomorrow evening, see if it goes better.
I just painted a base for a spawn instead then.
http://old.filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/6e2510df387ec58c110137873fb187e7.JPG

Thes Hunter
2009-10-27, 09:42 AM
If you are getting unevenness in tone, you probably are diluting too much. GW paints tend to be very opaque (good for covering mistakes).

If your style prefers a thinner paint, try Reaper or Vallejo.

I haven't been too happy with formula P3 from Privateer, but if I remember correctly I don't think I liked them because they were too translucent.

Astrella
2009-10-27, 04:57 PM
Likely I'm thinning to much, yeah. It's just me overdoing the "thin your paints" thing. (Because the GW paints look so thick.) :smallsigh:
I'm gonna try out some other paints though, not really a fan of the GW ones. (probably the vallejo acrylics or so.)

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-27, 06:24 PM
I've gotten no sleep. At all. I have to go off and be zombie now, pretending to care about things that I've never been even vaguely interested in.

Also I'm running late.

(Was that petty enough to qualify? :smallwink:)

Thes Hunter
2009-11-03, 06:47 PM
It is fall, the days are getting darker and getting colder.

And I am feeling slightly lonely. I tell myself this is only natural because I isolate myself from my friends in order to study as much as I need to, and with it getting colder having someone to cuddle with would be good.

I also know it is totally self-inflicted, because I believe a couple of friends may have crushes on me. However, they are friends, and I do not want to jeopardize the friendship I have.

However that doesn't keep my mind for being all :smallsigh: when I am trying to study. And yes, I am sure if I didn't have to study I would be more :smallbiggrin:.

Mauve Shirt
2009-11-03, 07:30 PM
It is cold and dark. It is impossible to plan anything with my friends because they, well really a specific one, refuses to fill up any spot on her schedule because something might come up. I'm trying to find sources for this linguistics article presentation I have to do, but all of the best sources are in subscription-only academic journals. And I'm not paying $34 for an article that I'll never ever read again.

arguskos
2009-11-03, 07:37 PM
My speech teacher refuses to tell me WTF a damn Manuscript actually is! The book says it's the word for word transcript of your speech, but she said that's not the case, but didn't oblige me in filling in what it really IS. :smallconfused::smallmad:

Anuan
2009-11-03, 07:49 PM
My speech teacher refuses to tell me WTF a damn Manuscript actually is! The book says it's the word for word transcript of your speech, but she said that's not the case, but didn't oblige me in filling in what it really IS. :smallconfused::smallmad:

That...is basically it. Plus lighting, etc, generally. But...yeah, that's about it ._.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-11-03, 07:50 PM
Blarg, Dragon Age: Origins came out today, and not only will I be unable to pick up my pre-order until Saturday, but my parent's aren't letting me get an Xbox 360 except as a Christmas present. :smallannoyed:

arguskos
2009-11-03, 07:52 PM
That...is basically it. Plus lighting, etc, generally. But...yeah, that's about it ._.
See, that's what I thought and what the book said! The most I can get out of her is "it's an essay about your speech" and "it's what your outline grows out of". :smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

Cleverdan22
2009-11-03, 07:55 PM
Bluh. Dad's all pissed at me because he got a report from my Web Page Design teacher listing stuff I hadn't turned in. I most of it all done, and will have it ready for next class. If she hadn't sent an e-mail, I would've had a few 100s because she doesn't take off for late work, and my dad wouldn't be mad at me, but now I will have a few 100s, with my dad mad for a few days.

SkadisPhoenix
2009-11-04, 05:43 AM
Blarg, Dragon Age: Origins came out today, and not only will I be unable to pick up my pre-order until Saturday, but my parent's aren't letting me get an Xbox 360 except as a Christmas present. :smallannoyed:

I REALLY want this game, but we won't have the money for it for ages. :(

Talking of games, I really wish Neverwinter Nights 2 was available on one of the consoles (preferably PS2 or XBox, as that's what we have), because it won't work on my laptop, and I REALLY want to play it. :(

Kantur
2009-11-04, 06:24 AM
See, that's what I thought and what the book said! The most I can get out of her is "it's an essay about your speech" and "it's what your outline grows out of". :smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

Any other teachers in the department you can ask?
If not can you take it to her boss and tell them that you believe you've completed the work, it matches the format your textbooks say it should be but she's saying that it isn't what she wants but not telling you how she does want it?

arguskos
2009-11-04, 06:27 AM
Any other teachers in the department you can ask?
If not can you take it to her boss and tell them that you believe you've completed the work, it matches the format your textbooks say it should be but she's saying that it isn't what she wants but not telling you how she does want it?
It's due Thursday, so I don't really have the time to debate it. The worst bit is that I actually LIKE this teacher and this class. :smallsigh: It's just that this assignment is mind-numbingly stupidly worded.

HellfireLover
2009-11-05, 04:20 PM
Ugh. :smallsigh:

How is it that when my husband is doing something like playing with his phone or on the PS3, I have to drop everything to make sure I don't interrupt him, but when I want to listen to something, it's okay for him to interrupt me, and if I get annoyed, then I'm a grumpy b*tch?