PDA

View Full Version : Sunder Machine

Thefurmonger
2009-10-25, 08:43 AM
Hey all.

After all the help you guys gave me with my Social skill monkey (Beguiller)
I figured I would toss out the character my wife will be playing to get some comments.

just to catch some of you up, we will be starting at 1st in a MOSTLY urban campaign in Waterdeep.

The group will NOT be optimised but I would like her to feel like she is helping.

So far the group looks like this

A Dwarf Rogue
A Dwarf Fighter/Dwarven Defender
A Elf Duskblade
A Human MT (Sorc/Cloi Cleric)
And my character a Human Beguiller.

She wants to play a Charging breaker, in other words she wants to sunder stuff.

****NOTE, PLEASE READ****
Yes I know sundering things breaks loot, Yes I agree there are better routes to take, No she is not changing her mind.

Anywho, her stats are (Can be re-arranged)
STR 16
DEX 15
CON 16
INT 15
WIS 15
CHA 14

The build I was thinking is this.

1st: (Lion totem barbarian)- Power Attack
Human Bonus- Cleave
Flaw- Improved Sunder
2nd: (Fighter 1)- Weapon Focus Greatclub (Needed for 3 Mountians)
3rd: (Fighter 2)- Improved Bullrush
3rd- 3 Mountians style (Yes I know she can't make use of it yet, but I cant really fit it anywhere else)
4th: (Barbarian)
5th: (Fighter 3)
6th: (Barbarian)- Combat Brute (for Sundering Cleave)
7th: (Fighter 4)- Shock Trooper (I'm sure we all know why so I wont bother)
8th: (Barbarian)
9th: (Fighter 5)- Deadly Concussion (Drag 333, See below)

For those of you not famillier with Deadly Concussion here is what it does.

Req: Str 13, Perform Precussion 6 Ranks (why she cant have it till 9th), Imp sunder, PA.

Benefit: If you use a bludgeoning weapon to sunder a opponents armor or shield in a SINGLE hit, the opponent takes damage equal to the damage you delt to the item.

The point: She should be decent from Lvl 1. as she levels up she will get more and more options but they will come slowly so she can learn them all (She is fairly new to D&D but has LARP'd for years)

She will be able to charge, use PA at max lowering her AC not to hit with Shock trooper, sunder someones shield causing the same damage to them, then sundering cleave into them again. with lion totem she gets another attack and can then do the same to their armor. IF for some reason they are not dead they have a save to make vs. nausea thanks to 3 mount.

Issues:

Really the biggest is how to get a Adda weapon when she wields a greatclub.
I had thought of having her use a Warmace as a Martial 2-handed and just take the -1 AC IF it would work for 3 mountians.

Thats about it. any help would be great.

oxinabox
2009-10-25, 09:25 AM
What's the problem with a Addy Great club?
A club that Big's perfectly find to have metal wrapping to stop it splitting...

cheezewizz2000
2009-10-25, 09:30 AM
Or hell, just a big bar of Adamantium, like some sort of RSJ (RAJ?). Who said clubs had to be made of wood?

oxinabox
2009-10-25, 09:39 AM
Or hell, just a big bar of Adamantium, like some sort of RSJ (RAJ?). Who said clubs had to be made of wood?

Sounds Good to Me.
We can workout the price of a Addymantium Bar by the lb.
and the Craft DC for a Club is...?

cheezewizz2000
2009-10-25, 09:55 AM
Adamantine costs an extra 3000gp on top of other costs, so an addy Greatclub would cost 3005gp to buy (30,050sp), to make it you require 1011gp of raw materials. To make it, the craft DC is 15 for the club + 20 for the masterwork componant.

You roll a craft check at DC15 each week and multiply your check result by the DC. You make that much progress in silver pieces. Once you've reached 27,050sp, you start needing to make checks at DC20 to make up the remaining 3,000sp worth of masterwork.

Assuming you get a level 1 weaponsmithing expert with max ranks and skill focus to make it for you (so the guy has +7) and he takes 10 every week, it should take just over 2 years to make. It's ok though, if you get a level 20 one it should only take just under 1 year. Your DM may want to just allow you to find one in a treasure horde.

Edited: Corrected the numbers. I had assumed 100sp to the gp, not 10, so I was out by a factor of 10. D'oh!

HCL
2009-10-25, 10:27 AM
Consider a dip into binder (Tome of Magic) for binding aym, you get improved sunder as a bonus feat and Ruinous Strikes (double damage against objects)

Dungeoncrasher Fighter (Dungeonscape) gives you +10 on attack rolls vs objects

I think that Ardents (Complete Psionic) with the destruction mantle get to ignore the first 4 points of hardness on an object.

Thefurmonger
2009-10-25, 12:54 PM
I'll check out binder, thank you.

dungeoncrasher doesnt give a bonus to hit objects, just a bonus to the strength check to break things.

HCL
2009-10-25, 03:46 PM
I'll check out binder, thank you.

dungeoncrasher doesnt give a bonus to hit objects, just a bonus to the strength check to break things.

ah sorry my mistake

herrhauptmann
2009-10-25, 05:13 PM
Instead of greatclub, there's the minotaur greathammer that is awesome, and the suglin (frostburn) which is also very nice. Though the suglin I think is exotic.

Anyway, that deadly percussion is definitely getting added as an option of my sunder builds, thanks.

Thefurmonger
2009-10-25, 05:17 PM
Heh, not a problem.

The Deadly precussion seems like a no-brainer way to double-dip with sundering cleave. And really the only thing that made me think this thing could really work.

I was thinking of the warmace as she can wield it 2 handed now without the EWP then when she has a free feat can pick up the prof, still use 2 hands and go Exotic weap master to add her str x 2.

tho, GOOD GOD!!!! That Hammer is just stupid good. hrm, now I have to fit one more feat in........

Glimbur
2009-10-25, 05:40 PM
The general rule for Sunder says specifically that you cannot Sunder armor. Does Deadly Concussion change this?

Thefurmonger
2009-10-25, 05:54 PM
Glimbur,

Well.... Sorta? (God I love Wotc editing)

The Feat says.

"Whenever you use a bludgeoning weapon to make a sunder attack against an opponent's armor or shield and you destroy the item in a single hit, you deal an ammount of damage to your opponent equal to the amount of damage you delt to destroy his armor or shield"

So the best I can say is "Got me" I have no idea how it is ment to work.