PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer ACP (3.5)

Frog Dragon
2009-10-25, 10:45 AM
Derivative Spell Knowledge
A sorcerer's magic, being more intuitive than that of the wizard, can easily be extended to mightier versions of the same spell. After all, the difference between Teleport and Greater Teleport is simply power, which a sorcerer can simply invest in amounts he chooses
Level: 1st
Replaces: A Sorcerer who takes Derivative Spell Knowledge does not gain a familiar
Benefit: If you have spell from a series (such as Teleport and Greater Teleport) you immediatly learn the other spells from the same series. So, if a sorcerer knows teleport, he automatically gains Greater Teleport (without taking any spells known slots) to his spells known list.
However, if the sorcerer trades any spell from the series for another, the entire series is lost from the spell list.

A spell of a series is defined as a group of spells that have the same name, with the exception of a numeral, the greater, lesser or superior pretext or anything comparable to this. Essentially they must be the same spell of a different level of power. Other variations are also gained. Such as in the case of invisiblity. You get Swift, Greater Superior and normal invisiblity and any other spells of the invisiblity serier.

Just thought it would be an appropriate ability for a Sorc.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-25, 10:51 AM
Benefit: If you have spell from a series (such as Teleport and Greater Teleport) you immediatly learn the other spells from the same series. So, if a sorcerer knows teleport, he automatically gains Greater Teleport to his spells known list.

By this, I assume you mean you get it in addition to the normal spells known.

If so, it seems like a nice ACF. I can see taking this. Really helps with the few spells known thing.

Frog Dragon
2009-10-25, 11:12 AM
Yeah, that's the intention

Cieyrin
2009-10-25, 11:18 AM
How do you define series, though? Would having one 'Orb of ____' get you the other ones or just having the Lesser version grant you the greater version later on? Magic Missile to Chain Missile to Force Missiles? How do you necessarily associate spells and should there be a limit to how large a chain can be? Summon Monster I apparently gets you II - IX, which is a lot of spells known. Would Identify lead to Analyze Dweomer or Arcane Sight? It's open to interpretation and not exactly cut and dry.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Eldan
2009-10-25, 11:22 AM
I would specify this a little more:

Spell series are spells of which several versions of the same name exist, the only difference being the words "lesser" or "greater" in front of the rest of the name.
Only, you know, phrase that a little better :smallwink:

Milskidasith
2009-10-25, 12:37 PM
But then you still need 9 of your spells for Summon Monster... and what about Superior versions of the spells? What about swifts? Do I not get Swift Invisibility and Superior Invisibility, but I do get Greater and regular invisibility if I take invisibility?

Frog Dragon
2009-10-25, 12:53 PM
Summon Monster I, II.... IX. You get them all. And yes you do get wift and superior invisiblity too.
Also I don't see any imbalance with getting all the Summon Monster spells because the old ones get redundant quite fast.
You don't get Orb of cold by taking orb of acid though.