PDA

View Full Version : TF2 Achievements - The World Record

Dread Cthulhu
2009-10-25, 12:31 PM
Hello there. I'm here today to discuss an idea which has been knocking around in my head for a little while. Namely, how many achievements is it possible to earn at once? Or, more specifically, with the same kill? I sat down and thought it over, and the following spoiler text is the conclusion I came to.

Spy backstabs Spy.

IF...

This is the killer’s 1000th backstab (Spymaster)....
And the 15th backstab of an enemy standing on its own control point (Point Breaker)...
And the victim is dominating the killer (Come in from the Cold)...
And two other people (High Value Target)...
And the 10th Steam Friend to be backstabbed (Agent Provocateur)...
And the victim was holding the revolver (A Cut Above)...
And the victim was disguised (Counter Espionage)...
And the killer was disguised as the victim (Identity Theft)...
And the killer was coated in Jarate (Wetwork)...
And the victim had activated the killer’s Dead Ringer cloak within the last 20 seconds (Sleeper Agent)...
And the killer was being healed by an enemy Medic (Insurance Fraud)...
And the killer had killed the Medic healing the Victim within the last 10 seconds (May I Cut In?)...
And this was the killer’s third backstab within the last 10 seconds (You Only Shiv Thrice)...
And this was the killer’s 1000th kill (Hardcore)...
And this was the killer’s fifth kill in one life without dying (Hard to Kill)
And it was the killer’s fifth revenge kill (Nemesis)...

Then theoretically one backstab could earn the killer 16 achievements at once.

tl;dr: 16. Woo, that's a lot.

Step 2: Okay, that's interesting. In principle, I'm pretty sure that right now as the game stands, that's the most at once. Not that it would ever happen for a normal player, though; Hardcore and Spymaster at once means that every single kill would have to be a backstab. No excpetions.

But then I thought; isn't there a bit of potential in this idea? If we could get people involved in this, then couldn't we have ourselves a world record on our hands?

So I checked two places; the Guinness World Records website, and with Valve. I still need to check specifically about this record, but I get the feeling that this is a new idea and would be allowed. Valve is more interesting. I emailed Robin Walker about it, saying the idea and whether it would be possible to reset achievements for someone to try for this. He replied (!), saying basically "Sounds cool, can't normally reset, but if you want I can reset one person's".

So that's where you guys come in.

I need bodies. We need 6 people to pull this off. The crux is that only someone over 18 can be the killer and get the achievements. Guinness's rules, which sadly rules me out. I'm in as the victim, and another online friend is in. Which means we need four people, one of whom will be the killer.

The killer can expect to:

Have their achievements reset by Valve.
Have to grind backstabs. No more than 3 in 10 seconds, or 5 in one life. That won't be fun.
Of those 995 backstabs, 14 have to be of people standing on control points they own, 9 have to be of friends and 4 have to be of nemeses.
Pull the stuff off.
Be a world record holder!

So that's the plan. If you want to be involved, or just want to ask questions, then just post here. Thanks in advance, guys.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-25, 12:46 PM
While this would be awesome, we're all friends with each other...that makes it incredibly difficult. You'd basically have to unfriend someone, then enter a game and just slaughter them repeatedly.

...but it would be AWESOME.

Assassin89
2009-10-25, 12:51 PM
Actually you could get 17 achievements if the target changes to pyro after the backstab (slash and burn)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-25, 12:52 PM
Not at once though...this is the most gained in one action.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-10-25, 01:08 PM
I would imagine that for the backstab grinding you'd use one of those servers with bots standing in a line they use for achievements. I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine a plugin that makes you wait after 2 stabs and kills you automatically after 4 wouldn't be difficult.

Also, yeah it's with this one kill. Otherwise we could have a building being sapped in the background for Sap Auteur and stuff like that.

AlterForm
2009-10-25, 01:12 PM
Not at once though...this is the most gained in one action.

Would having the victim turn off "Suicide after choosing a player class" and then "queuing up" the change to pyro work?

[EDIT]: Although it is, admittedly, rather similar to the Sap-atuer issue. Perhaps a strong definition of what qualifies as "single action continuous" for this, like "all achievements gained must be successive in a log file of server events"?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-25, 01:19 PM
Would having the victim turn off "Suicide after choosing a player class" and then "queuing up" the change to pyro work?

I would imagine not, or you could add the following: Dynasty, With Friends Like These, World Traveler, Head of Class, and Impenetrable Defense from killing just as the round ends, Master of Disguise from having a Medic start healing you just as you attack, and Spies Like Us for running into an enemy spy as you prepare to launch the attack.

That said, you can add On Her Majesty's Secret Surface if killing the victim clears the point for you to capture it. Also remember that, if you gain 4 Spy achievements first, you can add Milestones 1, 2, and 3 to your list.

Nano
2009-10-25, 01:22 PM
I am so in on this.

TheLogman
2009-10-25, 02:05 PM
I'm not 18, so I can't actually do it.

I would, however, love to be a part of this.

Eldan
2009-10-25, 02:49 PM
Well, I can volunteer as a generic victim, I guess.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-10-25, 02:51 PM
That said, you can add On Her Majesty's Secret Surface if killing the victim clears the point for you to capture it. Also remember that, if you gain 4 Spy achievements first, you can add Milestones 1, 2, and 3 to your list.

Not sure about OHMSS, since that wouldn't be directly linked to the kill. There would probably be a time delay as well. But yeah, I did completely forget about the Milestones.

And I will come up with a strict definition, once I contact Guinness and say 'can we do this?'.

KBF
2009-10-26, 01:35 AM
I am not nearly 18. I am right in the middle of 18 and Ninjew's age.

But being a victim would be awesome. I want to be a part of this.

EDIT: Oh, and it's likely Guinness won't go for a world record for just one computer game. I think they have a world record website you could put this up on, but that'd probably be it. It's not even closely monitored by Guinness if I remember right. We'd have a better chance of getting Valve to mention it. Actually, our best chance at getting noticed for doing this would be getting this on Guinness' website and then getting a Steam announcement on it. Or even a Twitter from Gabe Newell would be awesome.

Archangel Yuki
2009-10-26, 01:50 AM
I would be in for this, and do not mind losing all my achievements. Over 18. I would, however, like Lurker to have a chance to post on this as I would forfit this to him if he wants it.
He's a better spy then I.
If not, I would help.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-10-26, 03:37 AM
@KBF: This is true. Originally I'd figured this under "most achievements earned with one kill in any game", assuming that TF2 had the most achievements. Turns out Champions Online has 640. And I don't own it or plan to, so I have no overlap idea. Anyone who does feel free to tell me.

But yeah, this is definitely the sort of thing that Valve would get behind.

@Yuki: Yeah, that guy is a crazy good Spy. Worth waiting for him.

@Volunteers for helpers; we have more than enough people, but keep volunteering, it's a good gauge of interest. Thing is that once the killer gets to the point where we can actually do this (i.e. 995 backstabs, 995 kills...) we'll probably do it very very soon after that, if only so the killer can get back to regular TF2ing. So I'll put out an urgent thing on here and on the GITP Steam group so whoever wants in can show up.

@Djinn: When the time comes, any chance we could hijack ChHa for a few minutes?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-26, 04:59 AM
@KBF: This is true. Originally I'd figured this under "most achievements earned with one kill in any game", assuming that TF2 had the most achievements. Turns out Champions Online has 640. And I don't own it or plan to, so I have no overlap idea. Anyone who does feel free to tell me.

CO's acheivemnts are all things like "Kill 100/1,000/5,000 of a given enemy group" or "Kill 10/100/1,000 of a given Nemesis Minion type."
As well as "find all respawn points in a given zone" and "Defeat such-and-such Supervillian/Master Villian."

I suppose if, say, for example, Diamondback was your thousandth VIPER kill, and he happened to give you enough XP to level you to 20, and enough resources to earn you one of those "Earn X resources" achievments, then you could get multiple achievments with one kill.

Jahkaivah
2009-10-26, 07:46 AM
If Counter-Espionage accepts friendly-disguises, it should be possible to also get Is it safe? by making a map which overlaps two control points and kill the friendly-disguised spy which is both defnding his point and capping yours.

Plus, if the custom map is arena, we might also be able to get Dynasty if the victim was last on his team, heck that might also trigger Head of the Class (if we are lucky).

(Also not sure if we can allow additional controls points in arena, the arena entity is fiddly)

Oh, and if theres a cabinet nearby, you could within the 20 seconds your the dead ringer being activated switch to a Cloak and Dagger to get Deep Undercover. (Having of course previously used a Cloak and Dagger twice within the same life and area).

Heres a complication of course, we cannot get Deep undercover if it's on arena since it requires killing the same person and therefore requires respawning, it is possible to design a respawn map so the death of the player results in a victory by custom rules but it might seem borderline cheating if we do that (however there would be no delay). If we don't wish to mess with custom maps we would still be able to use an official arena map for Dynasty.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-10-26, 09:54 AM
If it was Arena then we couldn't get Point Breaker as that requires someone to already own the point. But that would get us 2 achievements at the cost of giving up one if we did it well. Hmm, good call.

Deep Undercover is for killing the same person three times in one life. Since we get CIFTC if the victim is dominating the killer, and it makes High Value Target easier since otherwise we'd need someone else to come along just to be dominated. I think.

littlebottom
2009-10-28, 10:09 PM
i would love to get in on this, especially as the killer, BUT i only own TF2 via the orange box on ps3... shame really, cus otherwise this would of been fun.

NeoVid
2009-10-29, 11:15 PM
It should be possible to add 2 more achievements to this challenge. Scared Stiff and Costume Contest should both be possible to pick up along with all the others originally listed, so long as the victim is a Spy disguised as Spy on KOTH Harvest.

Valaqil
2009-10-30, 12:52 PM
I'm there. Let me know, and I'll help.

Rutskarn
2009-10-30, 12:54 PM
I can't speak for Potatocubed, but I'd be fine having the Chocolate Hammer server name attached to this.

Like I said, though, it really is up to the Potatoman.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-10-30, 03:42 PM
It should be possible to add 2 more achievements to this challenge. Scared Stiff and Costume Contest should both be possible to pick up along with all the others originally listed, so long as the victim is a Spy disguised as Spy on KOTH Harvest.

If we could do it in the next few days then sure, but I think those achievements are only available until the 2nd.

Stormthorn
2009-10-30, 05:37 PM
I love it when the playground gets together to plot extravagent events.

I would help, being a spy guy myself, but i only own it on 360.
You PC folks and your cushy special achievments and items. I gotta do things the old fashion way.

Jagos
2009-10-30, 06:44 PM
I am not nearly 18. I am right in the middle of 18 and Ninjew's age.

But being a victim would be awesome. I want to be a part of this.

EDIT: Oh, and it's likely Guinness won't go for a world record for just one computer game. I think they have a world record website you could put this up on, but that'd probably be it. It's not even closely monitored by Guinness if I remember right. We'd have a better chance of getting Valve to mention it. Actually, our best chance at getting noticed for doing this would be getting this on Guinness' website and then getting a Steam announcement on it. Or even a Twitter from Gabe Newell would be awesome.

Here's the thing. Twin Galaxies runs a LOT of the main arcade games of yesteryear. With the PC being a machine that you can cheat on for a number of games, I haven't seen anywhere on the site that you can submit a PC score.

There might be other game score places, but I know TG is the most prominent.