PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is there a lot of slime around here? (3.5)

JellyPooga
2009-10-25, 01:48 PM
I've just been perusing an old copy of Masters of the Wild, the 3.0 sourcebook for Rangers, Druids and Barbarians and came across the most awesome PrC I can possibly imagine...the Oozemaster.

Unlike the Beastmaster, which you might think it shares a certain affinity with, it doesn't give you any particular control over slimes and oozes, what it does is slowly transform you into a weird psuedo-ooze with a strange amalgam of the abilities of other oozes, the most prominent of which is its Oozy Touch ability; an At-Will ability that lets you dissolve, paralyse and illuminate people with the power of various gooey oozes and moulds.

Now, because this PrC is so awesomely awesome, I'm wondering why it hasn't had a 3.5 update. I'd like to think that it's because it was so awesome that it didn't need a revision. I suspect, however, that it's really because the people at WotC didn't think that many people wanted to be oozey characters (I can't fathom why though).

So, my questions are these;
What's the general opinion on this PrC?
Does it's abilities translate well across the ".5" border?
What other Ooze related PrCs and abilities are out there?

Flickerdart
2009-10-25, 01:52 PM
Savage Species has a half-ooze template, but those can't be applied to characters. I guess you could get it for a Cohort?

AmberVael
2009-10-25, 02:00 PM
I can't comment on Oozemaster, but in the Book of Vile Deeds there is Thrall of Jubilex, which includes many slime/ooze based abilities (ooze and slime summoning, a short ranged sickening aura, acidic touch, the ability to alter its form, and eventually gains a few ooze based immunities as a capstone.
Its on page 70.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-25, 02:01 PM
Savage Species has a half-ooze template, but those can't be applied to characters. I guess you could get it for a Cohort?

I don't think you could give it to a cohort, because IIRC a creature with that template has 0 inteligence

Starscream
2009-10-25, 02:10 PM
Well, there's an Ooze domain that allows you to rebuke and command oozes. I have to admit, commanding an army of slimes and puddings sounds like a fun idea for a character.

The Slime and Thirst domains grant the same power, but Ooze has the best spells, I think.

And I can't find it anywhere, but I swear there was another 3.0 book that contained an amulet that let you actually use an ooze as a mount. You could ride around inside it without getting killed.

Anyone know where this is from?

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-25, 02:11 PM
And I can't find it anywhere, but I swear there was another 3.0 book that contained an amulet that let you actually use an ooze as a mount. You could ride around inside it without getting killed.

Possibly in the Arms & Equipment Guide, I don't have it with me right now but I am prettey sure it is there.

tonberrian
2009-10-25, 02:12 PM
There's a Slime Lord class in Player's Guide to Faerun (in the back with the Exalted/Vile prestige classes). It gives you limited use pseudopods (with paralytic slime), some nifty immunities, a Charm gaze (?), and Blindsight.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-25, 02:15 PM

Thats in the arms and equipment guid actually. . under the special mounts pg 85. you can have a gelatinous cube mount.

Starscream
2009-10-25, 02:21 PM
Possibly in the Arms & Equipment Guide, I don't have it with me right now but I am prettey sure it is there.

Thats in the arms and equipment guid actually. . under the special mounts pg 85. you can have a gelatinous cube mount.

Thank you, that's the one. I thought it was in one of the "Something and Something Else" 3.0 class books.

JellyPooga
2009-10-25, 02:28 PM
Well, there's an Ooze domain that allows you to rebuke and command oozes. I have to admit, commanding an army of slimes and puddings sounds like a fun idea for a character.

The Slime and Thirst domains grant the same power, but Ooze has the best spells, I think.

Where can I fond the Ooze and Slime domains?

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-25, 02:29 PM
Spell Compendium IIRC

Starscream
2009-10-25, 02:32 PM
Where can I fond the Ooze and Slime domains?

Slime is in Spell Compendium. And probably also somewhere else, that book is mostly a compilation.

Ooze domain is in Fiendish Codex 1. I like it better than slime, because it include the spells Ooze Puppet (which lets you control oozes with your mind) and Slime Wave (pretty much what it sounds like). No ooze themed character should be without those.

Edit:
Oh, and I found another ooze based PrC. It's a homebrewed one called Oozebound (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oozebound_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)) that basically turns you into an ooze like the Oozemaster one from 3.0.

I don't know how seriously it should be taken. It actually calls one of the features "Jello Form."

TK-Squared
2009-10-25, 02:53 PM
Edit:
Oh, and I found another ooze based PrC. It's a homebrewed one called Oozebound (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oozebound_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)) that basically turns you into an ooze like the Oozemaster one from 3.0.

I don't know how seriously it should be taken. It actually calls one of the features "Jello Form."

Just to note, the actual 'proper' class is here (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Oozebound_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)). The one you noted has been changed for a more humoured taste.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-25, 03:20 PM
The Slyth is an ooze like race from the Forgotten Relms Underdark book.

One of the Dragon Mags has an arcane PrC that gets you a living spell ooze familiar, and some control over other living spell oozes.

Darrin
2009-10-25, 06:45 PM
As a PrC, Oozemaster has 1/2 caster level progression, so unfortunately it's down towards the bottom of the pile of "nice idea, but crap mechanics". For a character that doesn't rely on Tier 1 casting, it would still be pretty sub-optimal... most everything the class offers could be gotten somewhere else with a little less fuss. It's somewhat similar to Green Star Adept, although a bit better since you don't lose any of your stats (the Cha penalty can be worked around).

The capstone ability is worded a little wonky... I'm not sure if it actually changes your type to ooze, and it's not clear if you become immune to criticals. If you're trying to make yourself immune to criticals, I think there are easier ways to get that than 10 levels of Oozemaster.

For controlling oozes, track down Dragon #304 and look for the spell "Awaken Ooze" (Sor/Wiz 8th). From there, you can use charm/dominate/diplomacy as usual.

If you want to summon an ooze (well, okay, just a Gelatinous Cube), Drow of the Underdark has the spell "Engulfing Terror" (Dru/Sor/Wiz 3). To use the Cube as a mount and ride around inside it, "Amulet of Ooze Riding", A&EG p. 85.

Thefurmonger
2009-10-25, 07:09 PM
Well this is nice, for once I can actually speak from personal experence here.

Durring a 3.0 campaign right after MAsters of the Wild came out I happened to be playing a Druid who, for in game reasons was loosing his faith in the natural world. (Frankly I was close to just dumping the character and writing something else).

I figured what the hell, I dont really care about the character anymore, go go ooze.

I kid you not, It was one of the most fun characters I have ever had. Was it really "good"? well honestly no.

But when one of your former circle members (Druid group) gets lippy and you can basicly throw a ball of corosive snott on them? come on, it doesnt get much better then that.

Thefurmonger
2009-10-25, 07:14 PM
its worth noting when you get Major Oozy touch at 5th, your touch causes 1d6 Con DAMAGE and a d6+lvl acid (yeah who cares), at will.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-25, 07:25 PM
Slime is in Spell Compendium. And probably also somewhere else, that book is mostly a compilation.

Ooze domain is in Fiendish Codex 1. I like it better than slime, because it include the spells Ooze Puppet (which lets you control oozes with your mind) and Slime Wave (pretty much what it sounds like). No ooze themed character should be without those.

Edit:

Slime Wave is now Cleric spell so the Slime domain doesn't have that. The slime domain does have Evard's Tentacles (they appear like slime).

Three levels of Thrall of Jubilex are decent: Summon Ooze ability is at will.

Starscream
2009-10-25, 10:22 PM
Just to note, the actual 'proper' class is here (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Oozebound_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)). The one you noted has been changed for a more humoured taste.

Ah, I remembered it being a little more sane. I figured someone just altered the page to make it silly (it being a Wiki and all).

...Huh, you know, that actually isn't a bad PrC at all. Lots of nice abilities, and the only loss of CL is at the end, where you can basically choose between more spells, or a ton of immunities and immortality.

In fact, it'd be almost perfect for a villain I'm making, who is a cultist of Jubilex, and The Dragon for the campaign's Blackguard BBEG. I wanted to make him all ooze-y, but Thrall of Jubilex grants no caster levels. Could be just what I'm looking for.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-26, 05:45 AM
Yeah, Thrall of Jubilex gives up 3 caster levels for the summon Ooze ability.
But Green slime has no save, ignores all hardness but wood, and deals 1d6 con to living creatures.

I mean, it is pretty strong. And that would be per green slime.

Chrono22
2009-10-26, 05:49 AM
I know nothing about the Oozemaster PRC: but here's some advice I have for an ooze-oriented player.
Get immunity to acid as soon as you can- if you do, you'll be able to ride around inside one of your oozes as a mount. An ooze mount would block line of effect for spells and it would grant the occupant full cover.
If you made your character focus on being a melee-oriented grappler, you could sit inside an arcane ooze.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-26, 07:39 AM

This sounds like an idea for a hilariously unbelievable villain.

Wizard: "We're here to stop your insidious plot, BBEG!"
BBEG: "So, you've finally figured out my plan to turn everyone in the world into JELLO? :smallbiggrin:"
Cleric: "Yes! And now--wait, what? :smallconfused:"
Rogue: "Is this guy serious?"
Fighter: "I'm gonna kick him in the face! :smallmad:"
BBEG: "Ah, but to do that, you'll first have to get past... MY ARMY OF PUDDINGS AND SLIMES!!! Mwa ha ha ha hahaha!!!"
Wizard: "We have got to get a new adventure agent. :smallsigh:"

Starbuck_II
2009-10-26, 08:01 AM
I just remembered Living spells are Oozes: so you control living spells.

Rappy
2009-10-26, 09:38 AM

BBEG: "So, you've finally figured out my plan to turn everyone in the world into JELLO? :smallbiggrin:"
BBEG: "Ah, but to do that, you'll first have to get past... MY ARMY OF PUDDINGS AND SLIMES!!! Mwa ha ha ha hahaha!!!"
Puppeteer ooze.

One of the better ooze templates out there, and one that makes the prospect of a villain that controls oozes terrifying.

JellyPooga
2009-10-26, 11:07 AM
Puppeteer ooze.

Where can I find this?

Reading over the details of Oozemaster again and a particular line is bugging me...

In addition, the oozemaster is immune to the effects of
that particular kind of ooze, even in the form of oozy
touch attacks from another oozemaster. Thus, an oozemaster
with brown mold oozy touch is immune to the
effects of all brown mold.

So does this mean that once you gain Major Oozey Touch that you can become immune to Black Puddings and Gelatinous Cubes...like, completely? As in; "Hah! It can't do anything to me, because I'm immune!", not just immunity to it's acidic/paralytic touch.

Also, on the subject of Oozy Touch, does the Brown Mold Minor Oozy Touch create an amount of actual Brown Mold? If so, could you expose it to fire and start it to growing?

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 11:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjYy_STO00#t=1m20s

This feels appropriate.

Alleine
2009-10-26, 12:17 PM
So does this mean that once you gain Major Oozey Touch that you can become immune to Black Puddings and Gelatinous Cubes...like, completely? As in; "Hah! It can't do anything to me, because I'm immune!", not just immunity to it's acidic/paralytic touch

I doubt you'd be COMPLETELY immune. Slams would still hurt. How do you rule immunity to something like dragons? Mostly it'd be up to the DM. It would be fairly entertaining to just jump into an ooze and laugh at it though.

Cieyrin
2009-10-26, 12:57 PM
I doubt you'd be COMPLETELY immune. Slams would still hurt. How do you rule immunity to something like dragons? Mostly it'd be up to the DM. It would be fairly entertaining to just jump into an ooze and laugh at it though.

Sounds like an Amulet of Ooze Riding, really.

hamishspence
2009-10-26, 01:19 PM
the druid Galeena in Mount Zogon by Tony Moseley was a particularly entertaining villainous protagonist.

Her speciality was oozes.

Rappy
2009-10-26, 01:34 PM
Where can I find this?
It's in the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition 3.5, by Silverthorne Games. It creates an ooze that is essentially a puppetmaster of a larger creature, a bodysnatching slime.

Akal Saris
2009-10-26, 02:07 PM
I'll have to check oozemaster out, I like the ooze-related stuff. Very neglected imo =P

Thrall of Jubilex (Book of Vile Darkness) is actually a very solid PrC. Very, very few PrCs give a d10 HP, all good saves, and full BAB. The abilities are sweet too - summoning all the MM oozes and puddings at will (with a short duration though), along with some demon summoning, unlimited polymorph and alter self at CL 8, and ooze-like immunity to crits, sneak attack, and poisons.

It's a class that I've wanted to play for a long while now, ever since I was in a PBP game where all the PCs were demon lords, and as Kostchtchie I was fighting Jubilex pretty consistently. Jubby's PC always typed in I'm-just-a-harmless-slime talk, as in "hello again kostchtchie its just little old me jubilex i just want to nibble a little on your flesh hope you don't mind too much", which I thought was hilarious.

Prak
2009-10-26, 02:23 PM

*bad pun*

I may have to look at playing a Cleric of the Slimy One next time I play D&D...

JellyPooga
2009-10-26, 02:38 PM
The frustration of Thrall of Jubilex and Oozemaster is that I don't know quite how much of each...Oozemaster Lvl.10 is tasty because it basically turns you into an Ooze, but at the same time, Lvl.8 Thrall grants At-Will Polymorph.

I think I'd rather take Oozemaster over Thrall, if only for the additional Oozey Touches. To that end, how does this look...

Cleric 5/Oozemaster 10/Thrall of Jubilex 4/Something Else 1

Cleric Domains: Ooze and Something Else (possibly Watery Death or Blackwater, either seems vaguely appropriate)

The Initiate of Ghaunadaur feat (Champions of Ruin) gives me access to three slimy spells unique to Clerics with that Feat. It might also allow me to switch out the Ooze domain for a different one as it grants the same ability to Rebuke Oozes.

With that little lot, I should have a Caster Level of 11 (assuming the Something Else is a casting PrC/Class), which only gives me 6th level spells, but I do get At-Will Alter Self and Ooze summoning, not to mention the unlimited Con damage from a Green Slime Oozy Touch.

Anyone got any ideas on how to imporve that at all?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-26, 04:12 PM
The frustration of Thrall of Jubilex and Oozemaster is that I don't know quite how much of each...Oozemaster Lvl.10 is tasty because it basically turns you into an Ooze, but at the same time, Lvl.8 Thrall grants At-Will Polymorph.

I think I'd rather take Oozemaster over Thrall, if only for the additional Oozey Touches. To that end, how does this look...

Cleric 5/Oozemaster 10/Thrall of Jubilex 4/Something Else 1

Cleric Domains: Ooze and Something Else (possibly Watery Death or Blackwater, either seems vaguely appropriate)

The Initiate of Ghaunadaur feat (Champions of Ruin) gives me access to three slimy spells unique to Clerics with that Feat. It might also allow me to switch out the Ooze domain for a different one as it grants the same ability to Rebuke Oozes.

With that little lot, I should have a Caster Level of 11 (assuming the Something Else is a casting PrC/Class), which only gives me 6th level spells, but I do get At-Will Alter Self and Ooze summoning, not to mention the unlimited Con damage from a Green Slime Oozy Touch.

Anyone got any ideas on how to imporve that at all?

I don't think alter self at caster 4 is worth it.
I'd stop at Thrall 3 personally. Granted, that only improves your spellcaster to 12 th level.

Starscream
2009-10-26, 05:52 PM
I don't think alter self at caster 4 is worth it.
I'd stop at Thrall 3 personally. Granted, that only improves your spellcaster to 12 th level.

Yeah, if I'm going to play a Thrall, I'll probably do it with a primarily martial character. Giving up three caster levels is a BIG sacrifice for Summon Ooze.

The other two abilities you get by that point aren't worth two caster levels. Sickening Slime won't have a good save DC unless you advance much farther in the PrC, and only ever gives a -1 to your foes attacks and skills (and can't be turned off for your allies sake).

Corrosive touch is okay, but only works three times a day. The Oozebound one by contrast can be used at will and the damage increases as you advance.