PDA

View Full Version : The Invincible Unbodied: Hooray for Anti-Magic Field!

Kyrthain
2009-10-25, 02:43 PM
I was looking at Un-bodied from the EPH and realized something. As they are not undead, they do not wink out in an anti-magic field. However, as they are incorporeal, they are almost completely invincible while in an anti-magic field. Orb wizards could hurt them, as could other incorporeal non-undead, but still, that's a pretty nice form of protection.

Anything I got wrong, or anything else that could hurt them?

*Disclaimer: I do not plan on actually using this as a character. That would be cruel*

Lamech
2009-10-25, 02:50 PM
Well for starters uncarnate would do it too. And thats evil. They can be hurt by... force effects, and artifacts. Oww.... Isn't there a feat that lets incorporeal creatures use weapons, and hold stuff?

Moriato
2009-10-25, 02:52 PM
Ok, but aren't they also kind of useless in an anti-magic field? What would they do? They can't manifest, can they even physically hit anything? Being nigh-invincible is only powerful if you can still affect other creatures while you're doing it.

Lamech
2009-10-25, 02:53 PM
Ok, but aren't they also kind of useless in an anti-magic field? What would they do? They can't manifest, can they even physically hit anything? Being nigh-invincible is only powerful if you can still affect other creatures while you're doing it.

Touch attack, it does 1d6 and I don't see it as magical...

AmberVael
2009-10-25, 02:56 PM
The Psion Uncarnate touch attack is Supernatural. Doesn't function in an anti-magic field.

Optimystik
2009-10-25, 02:57 PM
I think an Unbodied Psion would be deadly. Am I reading that right? It seems like they add their racial hit die to their Psion level to arrive at their manifester level.

Melamoto
2009-10-25, 02:59 PM
GHOSTLY GRASP [MONSTROUS]
You can handle corporeal objects even while incorporeal.
Prerequisites: Cha 15, incorporeal subtype.
Benefit: You can wear, wield, and otherwise use corporeal
items as though you were not incorporeal.
Special: Without this feat, an incorporeal creature can only
wear or wield items that have the ghost touch special ability.

From Libris Mortis.

Moriato
2009-10-25, 03:08 PM
Even if it's not, I have to imagine that by the time you can become an Uncarnate, you'd have better things to with your time than sit in an amf and touch people for 1d6 if they happen to be dumb enough to walk into it.

taltamir
2009-10-25, 03:10 PM
there are spells you can cast within an AMF that hit outside of it. make it a wizard :)

AstralFire
2009-10-25, 03:13 PM
there are spells you can cast within an AMF that hit outside of it. make it a wizard :)

Yeah, they're called epic spells, and it's an epic creature.

(I know there are a few non-epic spells that can do it; my point is that since it's already an epic creature, it's not doing anything special in this regards.)

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-25, 03:13 PM

No, there are spells you can cast into and through one, but only one spell that can be cast inside it (and its 9th level with a 1000gp price tag, and kinda sucks).

Starbuck_II
2009-10-25, 03:38 PM
Yeah, they're called epic spells, and it's an epic creature.

(I know there are a few non-epic spells that can do it; my point is that since it's already an epic creature, it's not doing anything special in this regards.)

Wait, what epic creature? Unbodied aren't epic.
They have 4 HD/4 LA. They manifest as 4th level (which stacks with psion levels). So you are only penaltied in LA, but LA buyoff can help here.

AstralFire
2009-10-25, 03:42 PM
They have 4 HD/4 LA. They manifest as 4th level (which stacks with psion levels). So you are only penaltied in LA, but LA buyoff can help here.

Oh, my bad. I read 'EPH' as 'ELH'. (Guess which section of the books I never read? Hint: It begins with 'Mon' and ends with 'sters'.)

Jack_Simth
2009-10-25, 03:50 PM
Yes... at 12th, 21st, 27th, and 30th... umm...
Oh, and that's "class levels" so your first mitigation is when you're ECL 20...

Which is to say: It's not all that useful.

Let's see... certain (not all) force effects, a Soulknife, an Initiate of Mystria, a Wizard using direct-damage Instantaneous Conjouration effects, a Psion or Wilder using instantaneous Metacreativity powers (like Crystal Shard), a Wizard with access to Invoke Magic...

Yeah - there's a fair number of ways to counter that.

Wizzardman
2009-10-25, 05:40 PM
Oh, my bad. I read 'EPH' as 'ELH'. (Guess which section of the books I never read? Hint: It begins with 'Mon' and ends with 'sters'.)

You never read the Mongolian Gangsters section? That's the best part. :smalltongue:

Kyrthain
2009-10-25, 06:55 PM
Let's see... certain (not all) force effects, a Soulknife, an Initiate of Mystria, a Wizard using direct-damage Instantaneous Conjouration effects, a Psion or Wilder using instantaneous Metacreativity powers (like Crystal Shard), a Wizard with access to Invoke Magic...

Yeah - there's a fair number of ways to counter that.

However, one requires a class thought of as lame, one needs a specific prestige class, and two require blasting, which everyone seems to hate (I know it may not be the most powerful type of spells, but it is fun to make things go boom:smallfrown:)

Jack_Simth
2009-10-25, 07:09 PM
However, one requires a class thought of as lame, one needs a specific prestige class, and two require blasting, which everyone seems to hate (I know it may not be the most powerful type of spells, but it is fun to make things go boom:smallfrown:)
Mind you: When you turn off magic, you're also turning off all your stat-boosters, and are limited to your con score and your hit dice (and any relevant feats) for HP. Which means that Psion who lobs a Crystal Shard at you (as a 1st level power that gets through Antipsionic fields, it's something any Psion or Wilder past about 2nd or 3rd level should know) kills you very, very quickly.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-25, 07:13 PM
If OA is allowed you could use Courtier abilities to do mental stat damage...

Death by Discourse!

kjones
2009-10-25, 08:44 PM
You never read the Mongolian Gangsters section? That's the best part. :smalltongue:

This made me laugh really hard.