PDA

View Full Version : RPing an Out-of-Wedlock Father of a Half-Demon (New World of Darkness)

Leliel
2009-10-25, 06:23 PM
Well, my Changeling: The Lost, Muran Masai, has recently been seduced by a succubus in full knowledge of what was happening.

Him always being a rather cold and antisocial person-to wit, he decided to stay in the Silent Hill expy he came out of the Hedge in rather than go back home to Philadelphia and his parents, thinking that his fetch is good enough for them and wanting to distance himself from his old life-I decided that it would be a good thing for him to get unlucky on his first time getting lucky and turn out to be one of the few changelings who isn't sterile. Pretty much a foolproof reason for him to start learning empathy and trusting other people.

Naturally, being the bachelor father of one of the most powerful psychics (cambions like his future progeny have a natural ability to see through passive supernatural illusions, and Unseen Senses op the wazoo) on the Earth is pretty bad, except in this game, it's worse. When I suggested the idea to my ST, he houseruled that since succubi don't have truly physical forms to bring children to term, Muran's semen is going to be used in a male incarnation on a mortal woman. So not only is he the father of a juicy prize for the True Fae, it's also the child of a woman he's probably never met in person.

On the plus side, he's an ally of the hunters, so at least he's going to have a nun-with-a-gun nanny. Or maybe that's part of the bad news...

Anyway, how would you suggest I play the illegitimate parent of a partially-demonic psychic?

And for the record, I requested that the succubus tell him about the pregnancy. If I suggested the idea, I was going to metagame, so I just decided to have Muran know of the bouncing baby part-demon in advance and save a lot of headaches.

Leliel
2009-10-25, 10:51 PM
I can tell people are interested, so...why no comments?

Ozymandias9
2009-10-25, 11:36 PM
That will depend heavily on how you first come into contact with the son. The Succubus told you about the pregnancy, but she (he? Incubus form?) may not have told the mother.

Do you even know who she is? If so, you'll know who the child is, if not you may end up wondering whenever you see a half-demon psychic.

If you do know the identity of the mother, is she interested in you participating?

If not, are you going to end up in the child's life early on, or is it possible you won't find them till they're an adult?

Is the mother married? Is there a surrogate father figure in the picture?

If the you don't meet the child till they're an adult, are they going to want to know the father that they've never met, or will they hate you for the circumstances of their birth?

If you don't know the identity of the mother, will you actively search for the child and mother, or move on with your life?

Essentially, these sum up to "Under what circumstances do you enter the child's life?"

Lycan 01
2009-10-25, 11:43 PM
I honestly have no idea what to say to this. Seriously, I can't formulate a comment, statement, suggestion, or anything... :smallconfused:

Willfor
2009-10-26, 12:08 AM
I think the best response to this kind of question is always "However you feel is most appropriate."

YOU are the player, not us. In fact, I'm quite positive that nothing like this has ever happened in the real world, and the best thing about that is that it puts characterisation squarely in the hands of the person trying to speculate it.

It's a great concept, but I doubt anyone has even the slightest hint of how it would play out in reality. Because it can't happen in anyone's reality except the one you make up. (Well, it can, but they have to be using the same concept)

It's your concept, run with it. :smallsmile:

Leliel
2009-10-26, 06:27 AM
That will depend heavily on how you first come into contact with the son. The Succubus told you about the pregnancy, but she (he? Incubus form?) may not have told the mother.

Succubi in Changeling: The Lost are unisexual dream creatures that take the form of a person's idealized mate. That can be male or female (or object, but we don't go there).

Do you even know who she is? If so, you'll know who the child is, if not you may end up wondering whenever you see a half-demon psychic.

No, but Paul-the ST-has said that the succubus will tell Muran when she (it) realizes what's going on/

If you do know the identity of the mother, is she interested in you participating?

See above.

If not, are you going to end up in the child's life early on, or is it possible you won't find them till they're an adult?

See above, but probably the first. Better stories that way.

Is the mother married? Is there a surrogate father figure in the picture?

See above, again.

If the you don't meet the child till they're an adult, are they going to want to know the father that they've never met, or will they hate you for the circumstances of their birth?

Don't know. Cambions themselves soon realize that they see things other people can't, but usually have no idea they're not otherwise normal (well, until they realize that their internal lifesigns stop whenever their powers activate.

If you don't know the identity of the mother, will you actively search for the child and mother, or move on with your life?

As I said, Muran is a bit of a cold and amoral person, but he does have a sense of honor and kindness. He will view it as his duty to seek out the child.

Essentially, these sum up to "Under what circumstances do you enter the child's life?"

Probably a better question would be "Under what circumstances do I enter the mother's life?"

Given that the succubus will tell her as well, probably as "that bastard who knocked me up and now says he's sorry."

Yeah. Changeling life sucks.

Krrth
2009-10-26, 08:42 AM
...I thought most Changelings were completely sterile? Rumors exist to the contrary, but I seem to recall it's a pretty rare event if it's even possible.

edit: In otherwords, if for some reason your character does have a child, remember the rarity. It makes you a celebrity among changelings.

Leliel
2009-10-26, 12:17 PM
...I thought most Changelings were completely sterile? Rumors exist to the contrary, but I seem to recall it's a pretty rare event if it's even possible.

edit: In otherwords, if for some reason your character does have a child, remember the rarity. It makes you a celebrity among changelings.

Uh...Dude.

I just said that in the OP.

Well, at least it's a good excuse to purchase Fame.

Telonius
2009-10-26, 12:23 PM
This reminds me of the Mordred storyline in Stephen King's "Dark Tower."

A lot of it will depend on how he feels about the whole thing. Does he care at all? Is he curious? Does he want to control the child? Teach the child? Be a dad? Enslave the kid? Torment the mother? Basically, what's his motivation here? Answering that should give you a good idea of how to play it out.

Leliel
2009-10-26, 12:45 PM
This reminds me of the Mordred storyline in Stephen King's "Dark Tower."

A lot of it will depend on how he feels about the whole thing. Does he care at all? Is he curious? Does he want to control the child? Teach the child? Be a dad? Enslave the kid? Torment the mother? Basically, what's his motivation here? Answering that should give you a good idea of how to play it out.

Muran will care, but more out of enlightened self-interest...at first.

As I said, I intend on him learning the ability to care about the people around him, so while he's initially just going to be curious and only being a father so he can monitor a rouge element, I plan on him gradually coming to genuinely love the child, although we'll have to see about the mother.

Ozymandias9
2009-10-26, 04:46 PM
Probably a better question would be "Under what circumstances do I enter the mother's life?"

Given that the succubus will tell her as well, probably as "that bastard who knocked me up and now says he's sorry."

Yeah. Changeling life sucks.

Well, that will narrow it down some, but we still need to know to what extent the mother will willingly let you be involved. Until we know that, the only relevant question is how involved you want to be in the child's life, especially if you have to fight for it.