PDA

View Full Version : Inspire Courage... is this right?

Tyger
2009-10-25, 06:26 PM
My bard has Dragonfire Inspiration (he's Silverbrow Human), is level three, and has the following:

Song of the Heart feat
Inspirational Boost spell
A masterwork Mandolin (per Complete Adventurer).

Does this mean that his Inspire Courage, when used to power his Dragonfire Inspiration, adds (assuming he uses all of the above) 4d6 fire damage to his and his allies attacks??

Frosty
2009-10-25, 06:42 PM
No. I'd say it's Cold damage. Silverbrow humans descend from Silver Dragons, and with that heritage I'd say DFI grants Cold instead of Fire damage. Otherwise the math is correctly.

Keld Denar
2009-10-25, 08:35 PM
No, it would be fire damage. There are only 2 things that change it from fire. One is the Draconic Heritage feat (requires Dragontouched feat OR Sorcerer1) and the other is being a 1/2 dragon. Nothing else will change it. Being Dragonblooded is required just to get DFI but it doesn't change the flavor of your DFI barring DM fiat.

The other thing that you could get to buff better would be a Badge of Valor. Its in the sets in the back of the MIC. Uses 3/day to boost a running IC by +1. Its an immediate action to activate, so you start with Insp Boost, Song, end turn, immediately use Badge of Valor.

Tyger
2009-10-25, 09:06 PM
Wow... 4d6 to all my allies' attacks (5 when I get the Badge, good call there Keld)... in a melee heavy party. This is perhaps too good. I may step it back and not use the mandolin too often - that's just mean to the DM.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-25, 11:56 PM
Wow... 4d6 to all my allies' attacks (5 when I get the Badge, good call there Keld)... in a melee heavy party. This is perhaps too good. I may step it back and not use the mandolin too often - that's just mean to the DM.The advantage, however, is that the DM can boost the power of the enemies without you dominating the party. You're the MVP, but they're the ones dealing massive damage, so they won't mind.

FMArthur
2009-10-26, 12:06 AM
The advantage, however, is that the DM can boost the power of the enemies without you dominating the party. You're the MVP, but they're the ones dealing massive damage, so they won't mind.

Unless you are adding more damage than they themselves are doing. Then they will just feel like your puppets, merely vessels for your damage. This is possible and likely at 3rd level.

Tyger
2009-10-26, 12:12 AM
Unless you are adding more damage than they themselves are doing. Then they will just feel like your puppets, merely vessels for your damage. This is possible and likely at 3rd level.

Yeah, which I why I am going to hold off on both Inspirational Boost and the mandolin except for when it really matters. Adding 2d6 fire to everyone's attacks should do it quite nicely.