PDA

View Full Version : Need help: want to build a high crit character

JKTrickster
2009-10-25, 09:42 PM
Hi! I'm looking to build a high crit character: in the sense of having a large crit range, not neccessarily a high crit multiplier (although that would certainly be useful). But the only things I know are Improved Critical and Keen (which doesn't stack anyway so nothing useful there....). Does anyone have any suggestions/feats that would help?

Oh and I'm playing a homebrewed class, the Fencer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109754) for those who wanted to know.

Mando Knight
2009-10-25, 09:45 PM
Weapons like falchions and Elven Courtblades have massive crit ranges...

Jergmo
2009-10-25, 09:47 PM
A Keen 18-20 weapon has a 15-20 crit range. I hear there are some cheesy splatbook weapons that can get you to a crit range below 10, but I've no idea what those are.

Kylarra
2009-10-25, 09:49 PM
Obligatory mention of kaorti resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) for increasing multipliers.

JKTrickster
2009-10-25, 09:52 PM
Oh thanks a lot! I don't want to be chessy though....its too easy to counter criticals and wouldn't be worth it afterwards.

Just wondering I'm a bit confused on the issue. Do additonal damage, like Rogue's Sneak Attack, get multiplied on a critical?

Tyndmyr
2009-10-25, 09:54 PM
Dolorous Blow. 3rd level spell, from SpC. Doubles weapon threat range, crits do not need to be confirmed.

Mind you, it doesn't stack with all the above mentioned methods, so it's kind of an either/or option, but it's a powerful buff in itself to a weapon.

Depends on the damage. Typically, variable damage gets multiplied, but sneak attack is an exception, and does not(there may be ways to modify this, but this is default).

Kylarra
Oh thanks a lot! I don't want to be chessy though....its too easy to counter criticals and wouldn't be worth it afterwards.

Just wondering I'm a bit confused on the issue. Do additonal damage, like Rogue's Sneak Attack, get multiplied on a critical?Damage dice do not get multiplied. Damage bonuses like power attack or craven, do.

Zaydos
Additional damage does, but additional damage dice (like a rogue's sneak attack, or flaming property) do not. So if it's a +X it does, but +Xd6 or +Xd8 etc does not. So no a rogue's sneak attack isn't multiplied, but the bonus from the Craven feat or Power Attack is.

Ninja'd

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-10-25, 09:59 PM
Nah, it doesn't

For further, critical cheesiness, I recommend eight levels of Disciple of Dispater. That gives an additional x3 multiplier to metal weapons that explicitly stacks with Improved Critical, but not Keen. For the Scimitar, that's 9-20 crit range.

Also I believe Weapon Master from OA adds a flat +2 to crit range, resulting in 7-20 crit range.

Make those Scimitar's Aptitude weapons (ToB) and Pick up Lightning Maces (which activates on Critical Threats, not actually required to confirm, which means you might still be able to use this tactic on Constructs, Undeads, and such that are immune to criticals) for an insane number of attacks.

Jergmo
2009-10-25, 10:02 PM
Nah, it doesn't

For further, critical cheesiness, I recommend eight levels of Disciple of Dispater. That gives an additional x3 multiplier to metal weapons that explicitly stacks with Improved Critical, but not Keen. For the Scimitar, that's 9-20 crit range.

Also I believe Weapon Master from OA adds a flat +2 to crit range, resulting in 7-20 crit range.

Make those Scimitar's Aptitude weapons (ToB) and Pick up Lightning Maces (which activates on Critical Threats, not actually required to confirm, which means you might still be able to use this tactic on Constructs, Undeads, and such that are immune to criticals) for an insane number of attacks.

Wait, wouldn't that x3 modifier be for damage, not the threat range?

Tyndmyr
2009-10-25, 10:03 PM
For another option regarding crits....I believe in starting with a weapon that has a high damage/crit multiplier to begin with. Scythe is good, for example. Decent damage, x4 crit.

The reasoning for this is that damage wise, this weapon is equivalent to a weapon with equal damage, a x2 crit, and a 17-20 range. However, there may be mobs that you can't actually hit on the lower end of your crit range, which puts these sorts of weapons ahead.

Also, flat bonuses, like Disciple of Dispater's, add much more to weapons with a low crit range and a high multiplier than they do to weapons with the reverse.

You'll crit a bit less, sure, but when you do, damage is great.

Faleldir
2009-10-25, 10:08 PM
Before you buy that Kaorti resin, remember that Disciple Of Dispater only works with iron weapons.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-10-25, 10:27 PM
The nimblewright's (mMII) rapier-hands have an insane crit range-12-20 if I recall. Of course, the RHD and LA might keep it out of reach.