PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Level Adjustment

memnarch
2009-10-25, 10:07 PM
Google searching shows me lots of +4 LA / +6 with Otto's; same with the SRD player template (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm).

But for some reason or another, I'm remembering that it was changed somehow to be +5/+7 instead. Couldn't find evidence saying otherwise and I don't remember if it was an errata or not.

What is it exactly?

Fluffles
2009-10-25, 10:18 PM
It's +4/+6.

wadledo
2009-10-25, 10:20 PM
+4 without irresistible dance.
The SRD has the newest publicly available information.

memnarch
2009-10-25, 10:26 PM
Ok thanks.

And thinking about it, I'm guessing that it was using some sort of Savage Species conversion to 3.5 that has 5 levels for progression or something like that.

TheCountAlucard
2009-10-25, 10:53 PM
Don't forget that the Pixie does have a Racial Hit Die... might that have been it?

memnarch
2009-10-25, 11:06 PM
Does it though? d20SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm) says that monsters with 1HD or less give them up along with the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats for the 1st class level.

So wouldn't that mean that the pixie race wouldn't have the racial bonuses to listen, search, and spot, and the dodge and weapon finesse for feats?

I think I'm confusing myself, but then why would they bother to have those on the pixie race (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm) template then?

Seffbasilisk
2009-10-25, 11:22 PM
1HD races with LA have thier one hit die replaced with your first level hit die. It's only in races with two or more HD that it becomes a factor.

Zeta Kai
2009-10-25, 11:30 PM
You know what always bugged me about the pixie? By RAW, it's a Small creature, but the picture suggests that it's Tiny. Also a Small pixie would be on par with a gnome or a halfling, which just sounds bizarrely large. When I think of a pixie, I think of Tinkerbelle, which is probably Diminutive (perhaps even Fine).

Haberdashery
2009-10-25, 11:36 PM
You know what always bugged me about the pixie? By RAW, it's a Small creature, but the picture suggests that it's Tiny. Also a Small pixie would be on par with a gnome or a halfling, which just sounds bizarrely large. When I think of a pixie, I think of Tinkerbelle, which is probably Diminutive (perhaps even Fine).

I absolutely agree with this. I have a hell of a time picturing a Small sized pixie. It just seems so...weird. I really can't see Tinkerbell the size of a small child running around after Peter Pan.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-25, 11:37 PM
So wouldn't that mean that the pixie race wouldn't have the racial bonuses to listen, search, and spot, and the dodge and weapon finesse for feats?

I think I'm confusing myself, but then why would they bother to have those on the pixie race (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm) template then?

They don't lose that stuff because it's not dependant on their class level or HD. Those are racial bonuses.

If you're confused, just look at the section for Pixies as Characters.

Kaun
2009-10-25, 11:41 PM

there size might be worked out to inclued there wingspan, like from bottom of feet to top of wings ect.

memnarch
2009-10-25, 11:53 PM
So no level of fey, everything on the "Pixie as Character" stays.

Alright then, thanks everyone!

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-25, 11:55 PM
there size might be worked out to inclued there wingspan, like from bottom of feet to top of wings ect.

Well, Small size is about 2-4 feet in the maximum dimension, while Diminutive is 6 inches-1 foot and Fine is 3-6 inches, so if the body is the "right" size, those are some pretty freakin' huge wings, proportionally speaking. More likely, the developers were thinking "Yeah, it should be Diminutive, but anything smaller than Small is weird, so we'll make it Small."

Frog Dragon
2009-10-26, 12:01 PM
Lol. I've always played them as tiny. And will keep doing so:smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2009-10-26, 12:03 PM
Tinkerbell is a Petal not a Pixie. Petals are in MM 3 are are tiny.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-10-26, 12:56 PM
In an effort of making Pixies easier to play, I and one of my players have modified it to reduce the LA and the overpoweredness of it.

Removing the option for 'Irresistable Dance' altogether was the first change. Meh.

Nerf - Removing the constant Greater Invisibility changing it to a 3/day standard Invisibility, that lasts a number of rounds = to your HD. IMO the constant Greater Invisibility was wicked overpowered and was worth a +1 (possibly even +2...) all by itself. While keeping the same CR and other game effects. To offset the ability "loss", reducing the LA from +4 to +3.

Thoughts?

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 01:00 PM

It's just on the low side of small, while gnomes and halflings are in the upper middle and high end.

Zeta Kai
2009-10-26, 01:04 PM

A pixie stands about 2½ feet tall and weighs about 30 pounds.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG235.jpg

Also, note in this picture that the pixie is supposed to be the one on the right, & is roughly equal in size to the Grig on the left, which is officially Tiny (a Nixie is in the background, which is officially Small). So, to reiterate, two creatures are in the foreground of the image, & appear to be about the same size, but are Tiny & Small, respectively; meanwhile, the creature in the background seems to dwarf them both, but is in the same size category as the "larger" of the two foreground critters.

WTF?

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 01:10 PM
A six-foot tall ape is also in the same size category as a fifteen-foot tall giant.

Blackfang108
2009-10-26, 01:12 PM
[CENTERAlso, note in this picture that the pixie is supposed to be the one on the right, & is roughly equal in size to the Grig on the left, which is officially Tiny (a Nixie is in the background, which is officially Small). So, to reiterate, two creatures are in the foreground of the image, & appear to be about the same size, but are Tiny & Small, respectively; meanwhile, the creature in the background seems to dwarf them both, but is in the same size category as the "larger" of the two foreground critters.

WTF?

note that, the tops of the pixie's wings come to about the top of the Nixie's head. Overall, it's about the same height, lending credence to the one poster's theory that it's overall height, not just body size, being used to determine size.

Starsinger
2009-10-26, 01:15 PM
It appears the Nixie is sitting on her knee, making her even taller...

Zeta Kai
2009-10-26, 01:17 PM
Ergo, the size system is borked all to hell. QED.

Blackfang108
2009-10-26, 01:25 PM
Ergo, the size system is borked all to hell. QED.

You needed a picture to tell you this?

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 01:28 PM
Yet another reason I don't use monsters (much less the pre-existing ones) often.