PDA

View Full Version : Wands of 4e

HMS Invincible
2009-10-26, 12:43 AM
Anyone see any goodies to be stored into wands yet? I looked at eyebite since it's a nice way to get away from a fighter for a turn.

However, I noted something about Master's wand of eyebite.
It says the property grants you combat advantage against the target on your first attack with this wand. But eyebite's effect says that you become invisible to the target, which grants you combat advantage...

Anyone see what I am missing, or is this just bad design?

NPCMook
2009-10-26, 12:58 AM
Are you wielding the Wand? Then you have Combat Advantage, but can still be attacked since the enemy can see you.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-26, 01:08 AM
It means the first attack you make using the wand as an implement. You aren't necessarily using the eyebite power.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-26, 04:46 AM
Anyone see any goodies to be stored into wands yet?
Not all that many, honestly. I find that with the limited Magic Item Daily usages you get, using a lower-level encounter power isn't high on the list of priorities.

Master's Wands are an exception since they work once per encounter instead. Whether a MW is worth carrying depends on what power it duplicates. I find that none of the warlock's MWs are worth it because all their at-wills primarily do damage, which your character can already do regardless. A MW of Thunderwave, on the other hand, is highly recommended for any non-wizard, because TW is such an excellent power.

This is about carrying a wand for the extra option; using it to boost the at-wills you already have is a different cup of tea. But instead of trying for eyebite to get away from an enemy, I would look for some per-encounter teleportation effect.

But eyebite's effect says that you become invisible to the target, which grants you combat advantage...
It's one of the less useful master's wand effects, yes. But note that invis from eyebite lasts until the start of your next turn.

It means the first attack you make using the wand as an implement. You aren't necessarily using the eyebite power.
No, it only works when you use eyebite through the wand.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-26, 07:46 AM
No, it only works when you use eyebite through the wand.

Sorry, I was basing my response on what he said it did. I'll be sure to look it up next time. :smallamused:

A MW of Thunderwave, on the other hand, is highly recommended for any non-wizard, because TW is such an excellent power.

On the contrary, I find Thunderwave to be a fairly bad power to pick up if you're playing a character with poor Wisdom.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-26, 07:59 AM
On the contrary, I find Thunderwave to be a fairly bad power to pick up if you're playing a character with poor Wisdom.
Okay, "highly recommended for any non-wizard with at least 12 wisdom", then :smallsmile:

Even at push-1 it becomes useful at times, and a level-3 master wand is pretty cheap.

HMS Invincible
2009-10-26, 02:04 PM
What powers could possibly teleport you that is an at will that could be changed into an encounter when stored in a wand? Better yet, what are good at wills to store in wands? Aren't wands only limited to arcane powers?

Kurald Galain
2009-10-26, 06:27 PM
What powers could possibly teleport you that is an at will that could be changed into an encounter when stored in a wand?
None, I was referring to encounter teleportations (that would be daily in a wand). However, there's a rod that has encounter teleport.

Better yet, what are good at wills to store in wands?
Mostly thunderwave and scorching burst. Storm pillar would be nice, but that wand doesn't actually exist. Maybe eyebite, but I find it too unreliable to spend a standard action on. Pretty much anything else will not be significantly different from your own at-wills.

Aren't wands only limited to arcane powers?
Yes.

Mando Knight
2009-10-26, 07:00 PM
Bards, Sorcerers, (not Human) Dark/Star Pact Warlocks, and Cha-Paladins (MC Arcane) can get use out of an Eyebite wand, though, due to main stat synergy and lack of Eyebite at-will. 1-turn/encounter invisibility can be useful, such as forcing a Divine Challenged target to attack someone else (and thus take damage) because they can't see you.