PDA

View Full Version : Best Cleric options to pair with a Bard?

Sintanan
2009-10-26, 01:08 AM
As the title says, what would be the best choices in variant classes (cloistered?), domains, or spells to pair with a Bard?

I'm not aiming at powergaming in the group I joined, just want to play a Bard/Cleric that can actually do something rollplaying-wise.

Flayerman
2009-10-26, 01:15 AM
Well your first mistake is dual-classing bard and cleric, honestly, BUT check out the Orator prestige class in Complete Divine. Five levels, easy to close off with or get into, and fairly nasty. If you take Exemplar (Complete Adventurer) and sacrifice the cleric levels entirely, you could get a really, really nasty Performer who can talk his way out of nearly anything.

EDIT: Might not be of much use in a fight, though, besides being able to debilitatingly distract your enemies.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-26, 01:19 AM
As the title says, what would be the best choices in variant classes (cloistered?), domains, or spells to pair with a Bard?

I'm not aiming at powergaming in the group I joined, just want to play a Bard/Cleric that can actually do something rollplaying-wise.

Very little, I'm afraid. Bard/Paladin has some synergy, as does Bard/Crusader, but not Bard/Cleric, because Cleric doesn't emphasize Charisma the same way paladins and Crusaders do.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-26, 01:21 AM
Well your first mistake is dual-classing bard and cleric, honestly, BUT check out the Orator prestige class in Complete Divine. Five levels, easy to close off with or get into, and fairly nasty. If you take Exemplar (Complete Adventurer) and sacrifice the cleric levels entirely, you could get a really, really nasty Performer who can talk his way out of nearly anything.

EDIT: Might not be of much use in a fight, though, besides being able to debilitatingly distract your enemies.Maybe homebrew a cross between the Divine Bard and the variant Bard PrC? It's rough no matter what, though.

What, exactly are you trying to do? Straight Divine Bard may work. Also, because it will become relevant, what sources are available, which level, and what's the rest of the party?

ZeroNumerous
2009-10-26, 01:22 AM
A bard dip, then onto Cleric/Sublime Chord/[Divine/Arcane Theurge class]? Boost your Inspire Courage via items/feats then neck DFI? Nab Arcane Strike to boost your gishy-ness?

I dunno, there's not a lot you can do that wouldn't benefit from removing either Bard or Cleric and using just one or the other.

Sintanan
2009-10-26, 02:10 AM
It started as a joke with the DM... A bard capable of using Death and Metal domains. :smalltongue:

If I can pull off a viable Cleric/Bard, the DM offered to homebrew a Shifting enchantment for a weapon to allow for the bard to carry an 'axe', which is making think we'll be starting at 6th-7th, since it would need to be at least a +2 weapon.

I'm trying for more of a 'background' type of character after my last foray with a couple from this group I was powergaming a straight god wizard, much to their disappointment. With more of a roleplaying, and less rollplaying focus from the sounds of things, I want more of a background character, at least until I can see what the rest of the group is going to play as, and their playing style.

. . .
After looking at options, I'm thinking a simple spell-focused build like ZeroNumerous' suggestion would work best Bard/Cleric/Sublime Chord/Mystic Theurge and magic items to bolster bardic music would be easiest to keep the character at least partway viable...

I should just cut my losses and just play a straight Bard, but I want to actually see the DM work this toon in the story at this point (and I wouldn't mind a free magic item). :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-26, 02:14 AM
Bard with Arcane Disciplex2.

Sintanan
2009-10-26, 02:28 AM
Bard with Arcane Disciplex2.

Wow... That's almost too easy... :smallamused:

...And it fully allows for some powerful Bard tricks without having to worry about blending Cleric into a Bard.

If I use this trick, I'm tempted to play a Dwarven Divine Bard named Mikhale Cullivan Hammer. :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-26, 02:33 AM
Wow... That's almost too easy... :smallamused:

...And it fully allows for some powerful Bard tricks without having to worry about blending Cleric into a Bard.

If I use this trick, I'm tempted to play a Dwarven Divine Bard named Mikhale Cullivan Hammer. :smallbiggrin:Surprisingly, Divine Bard cannot use Arcane Disciple. Yeah. Stupid rule combo #3155, IIRC.

Sintanan
2009-10-26, 02:41 AM
Hmm... maybe some subspecies dwarf that mitigates the cha penalty, then. If not I can always suck it up, because the cool points the dwarf gets far exceeds any minor charisma penalty he suffers.

EDIT: Anyways, thanks everyone for the input!

oxinabox
2009-10-26, 02:49 AM
It started as a joke with the DM... A bard capable of using Death and Metal domains. :smalltongue:
:
That is AWESOME.
So very very awesome.