PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Campaign Stories

Flayerman
2009-10-26, 02:26 AM
From either the player or the GM perspective, what are some of your best adventures, moments, or games?

I can sum up my best easily. The system: Mutants and Masterminds 2e. The world: a mishmash of various media, heavily anime-inspired.

The players:
Kelly Cruz, Brooklyn Jedi Knight (at the time; now he's also a green lantern)
Ice Ninja whose name escapes me at the moment.
Arcknight, an alien powersuiter clone.

The situation:

The players have just gotten off an experimental super-jet they had to emergency land in New London, one of Britannia's fortress cities, and were hijacked into piloting the headmaster machines known as the Evangelions by Britannia's own Gendo Ikari.

I'll let you soak all that in before continuing.

Now, the players are in their Evangelions, when the Decepticons arriive. That's right, the Decepticons. The G1 ones, too - Megatron, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Soundwave, Rumble, and Frenzy. Anyway, Megatron orders the others to distract the Evangelions while he goes under, transforms, and heads down into the Geofront as a pistol.

The battle begins.

I gave the players the following instructions. With a certain number of rounds, the Evas berserk if they don't make a Will save, and the players have to attack the nearest foe. Keep this in mind, it's important.

After a bit, Shinji (their NPC support) just drops like a sucker to one of Soundwave's moves. They manage to take down Thundercracker, but Skywarp's still flipping around.

That's when the Jedi fails his will save.

So the Jedi Knight - paragon of stability, justice, and order - turns to me and says "I'm going to pick up Shinji and Thundercracker and wield them as clubs."

My jaw hangs open.

"Excuse me?" I ask.

He repeats it. I shake my head, and go "well, alright."

So, Eva-01 is picked up, wielded as a club. It gets better.

Now, Skywarp is in range of a charge. The Eva has two very large weapons present. Put two and two together.

The Eva hits both times. Skywarp critically fails his toughness save.

Skywarp goes down, pummeled through a building along with Thundercracker.

Now, the Decepticons have just been delaying for Megatron, but by the end of the fight, only Soundwave remains up (and untouched, amusingly - he's been rolling super-well all night). And that's when...

...Galvatron emerges, with the head of Unicron. He proceeds to transmit Unicron's personality code to one of the moons, which is in reality Cathedral Terra. So Unicron is now transforming into Hyper-Galactic Gurren Unicron.

The players helpfully one-shot Galvatron by planting an Eva-sized lightsaber through his skull.

The Lance of Longinus is sent up as Unicron begins to attack New London.

The players force push it through his head, with some icicle spikes and other effects added for good measure.

He crit-fails his save.

In -two rounds-, Unicron in Cathedral Terra AND powered-up Galvatron lose to something Soundwave was dodging and ducking for -twenty-.

Needless to say it was a glorious night.

Kaun
2009-10-26, 02:52 AM
some how this manages to make no sense and be massively awesome all at the same time.

I take my hat off to you good sir.

Godskook
2009-10-26, 03:19 AM
Have I been drinking? Yeah, I think I've been drinking. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I find that this thread reads differently than Jedi wielding transformers as clubs.

starwoof
2009-10-26, 06:35 AM
I want to join your group.

Merk
2009-10-26, 08:11 AM
Heh, that's awesome.

In our campaign (a pirate campaign based off of One Piece), the party has seven PCs, including a rogue/warmage named Lyikos D. Whitefang. He's decently powerful for his build, but he's not game-breaking or anything.

Anyway, it all started when one of the other characters, Elias, was milling around one of the towns, near one of the Marines outposts. When a marines officer asked him his name, Elias coolly responded "Lyikos D. Whitefang"

Later on, our crew was facing off against a commander of an enemy pirate group, who challenged the crew's "strongest swordfighter" (the captain, Richard, a soulknife) to a 1v1 duel. When the commander asked for Richard's name, he also responded "Lyikos D. Whitefang".

It's become something of a running joke now. The best part about it is that when the crew finally gets bounties, Lyikos's will be incredibly pumped-up. The data the marines have on him is someone who:

can fly
has eaten three or more devils fruits (physically impossible in the One Piece world)
an expert in haki (magic)
is a renowned swordfighter

His pirate nickname, as assigned by the marines, will be "Lyikos: Destroyer of Worlds"

Flayerman
2009-10-26, 08:18 AM
That is pure freaking genius.

DragoonWraith
2009-10-26, 08:58 AM
Have I been drinking? Yeah, I think I've been drinking. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I find that this thread reads differently than Jedi wielding transformers as clubs.
The sleep dep, I think it is beginning to get to me.

valadil
2009-10-26, 09:44 AM
http://gm.sagotsky.com/?p=75

That's my best campaign story. Long story short, I decided one of my PCs was going to have an imaginary friend. I didn't like how schizophrenia is portrayed in most RPGs (ie, player talks to GM alone then babbles about some stuff which the other players ignore. It's not insanity it's just time consuming and sometimes funny.) so I figured out a way to really screw with my players by making them think the imaginary friend really existed. Nobody figured out what was going on until the last session.

root9125
2009-10-26, 09:53 AM
I think my crowning moment of awesome was when I realized there were no rules for prosthetics. So we took the Craft Wondrous Items and Craft Magic "Arms" and Armor feat to build a party character (who'd lost his arm to plot-device-A) an "arm".

That was fun, especially when we realized that the "Arms" part of "arms and armor" can be made sentient under the Sentient Item rules. So after abusing my status as a Mage of the Arcane Order by recruiting a couple minions to boost my CL to 15 (using cooperative spell, which they must have had to be *IN* the arcane order) to craft a sentient arm.

Yeah, a sentient prosthetic arm. With CHA 16, INT 16, and WIS 10.

Made of Adamantine. With 160 HP. And an AC of 22, and a hardness of 20, 10 ranks in Spellcraft, detect magic at will, and hold person 3/day. Oh, and DR 2/-- We had a metric ton of gp from a raid on an old, old illithid's lair, so it was okay.

Then we realized that my cohort *also* had Craft Wand. And there are rules for making wands of any shape and size (price * 1.5), so we stuck a wand of CL 9 Fireball in there for kicks. Also, there are rules for unending wands (price / 750 * 2000).

So, we estimated out it's ECL, and it's roughly 9. Which is OK, our party's at level 9.

The only thing my DM wanted was to roll on the quirks table that comes along with the intelligent item rules in the DMG. So, now it hates all non-casters and wants to rid the world of them. It's CE.

To recap: One of our characters has a CE sentient arm that can cast fireball at will and sunder most objects without difficulty. It gets better.

The character died. His arm was okay (has nearly 4 x his hp), but he died. So the arm, being adamantine and able to ignore the hardness of flesh, cut itself off and continued with us into the dungeon. A player is playing his sentient arm until we can get a reincarnate spell.

Best. DM. Ever.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-26, 02:40 PM
Every time I tell this story, I get lazier about it. As a result, I'll skip most of the backstory, and just tell the key points.

Point 1: My DM had implimented Action Points in a 3.5 game, and due to the way they were designed for that campaign, everyone had at least 30. As a result, we were allowed to use as many as we wanted per round, all as free actions.

Point 2: The DM wanted the party to have a fight it would probably lose, and thus sent more than 120 enemies at our party of 6, who were at 7th level.

Point 3: I was a blaster wizard. Not a very well built one either.

Point 4: Sudden maximize/empower/widen/quicken spell metamagic were amongst the things I had access to.

Moral of the story: Virtually everything dying in two 40 ft radius circles (taking 70 damage) is awesome when done in one round. Also, don't allow Action Points as a DM.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-26, 02:54 PM
It was a rather new DM who thought he could just add random numbers to monsters to level them. On top of that we were hunting dragons. We were around level 16-20 or so.

So this dragon ambushes us and does significant breath weapon damage. We roll initiative and I, the Wu-Jen without any prestige class, go last. The paladin charges and misses. The rogue flanks to sneak attack and misses. The cleric heals us a bit. Our rolls were horrible and the dragon was way too buffed by random variables...and it was my round before we were sure the thing was going to finish us off.

So my character, the sparrow-hengeyokai (basically a sparrow spirit) caster with less than 12 strength goes. Mind you he has a legendary reputation for having no strength. He hurt himself early on in the campaign failing a strength check to pull an arrow out of a tree to investigate a crime scene. So he tosses a silk scarf around its neck and yanks. Pop. Its head falls off. It rolled a 1 on its saving throw against the 7th level spell "decapitating scarf". My wu-jen just shruged his shoulders and walked onto the village the party was approaching. The rest of the party was speechless.

Cisturn
2009-10-26, 05:00 PM
Maybe not my best but I remember my first time ever playing DnD, my friends made me a Half Dragon Cleric. I was inserted into the game as a town guardian for some mook village in the North (Northton). When the party first arrived, the rogue stole a ring from a local vendor, and i was called to retrieve it. The rogue ran from the village and using his maxed-out jump threw himself into a high tree. At first he thinks he has me beat until I FLY up to the tree and use my 6d10 Breath Weapon for near max damage. The result was one less tree in the forest and a charred rogue at -8. The druid healed him up, albeit with massive scarring to most of his body. Not that it mattered much, later that in-game day my Cleric would (accidentally) cause the rogue to take 20d6 falling damage, which again brought him to the negatives. I was able to heal him, but the Rogue had just taken to much emotional stress, supposedly he quit adventuring and opened up a candy shop in the town.

There was also the time we realized that the Caller in Darkness could be easily hurt by fire, and the much-hated paladin was wearing wooden armor...