PDA

View Full Version : help with my Psion.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 04:20 AM
I'm playing a Psion in a game and here's what I've got so far. The DM only allows books he has. here's a list of the books he may allow next game and his rules.
1. Player’s Handbook

2. Complete Adventure

3. Complete Divine

4. Complete Arcane

5. Complete Warrior (The following are to prestige classes that I am prohibiting due the excessive use of power gaming: Bear Warrior and Frenzied Berserker)

6. Races of Stone

7. Races of the Wild

8. Races of Destiny

9. Dragon Compendium

10. Spell Compendium

11. Dungeon Master’s Guide

12. Player’s Handbook 2 (you may not use the spell “Kelgor’s Fire Bolt”)

13. Miniatures Handbook

14. Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords

15. Arms and Equipment Guide

16. Dungeon Master’s Guide II

17. Lords of Madness

18. Expanded Psionics Handbook

19. Complete Mage

20. Magic of the Incarnum

From these books you can use any thing, (except races/monsters with either higher than a +1 level adjustment or racial hit dice) you want just be sure to tell me (preferably via e-mail what you are playing and which of these books it came from (I can’t remember what is in all of them). If you want to play something that is not on this list or any future list then photocopy the pages relevant to whatever it is you want to play and give them to me to look over. I’ll send you an e-mail telling you whether I will allow it or not.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Because I have been asked about it I’m adding the following items to what I allow.

Oathbound: Domains of the Forge

a. Frey
b. Haze (minus all natural attacks)
c. Pickers
d. Silvers
e. Valco

Races of Eberron

a. Changling
b. Warforged
c. Warforged Scout (Monster Manuel III)
d. Shifter

Forgotten Realms

a. Lesser Plantouched
b. Lesser Svirfneblin

Unearthed Arcana

a. Aquatic Races
b. Arctic Races
c. Desert Races
d. Jungle Races
e. Races of Air
f. Races of Earth
g. Races of Fire
h. Races of Water

Arms and Armor

You may not, I repeat, MAY NOT, use the following:

1. Angon
2. Weighted Greatsword
3. Chainblade
4. Battering Axe
5. Triple Threat Crossbow
6. Plated Leather
7. Double Plate
8. Dwarven Plate
9. Exoskeletons (all)
10. Magical properties (all)
11. Specific weapons (all)
12. Prestige classes (all)
13. Wondrous items (all)

Please note that the weapons listed from Arms and Armor I consider to be overpowered so you may not create characters with them. This does not mean, however that you will never be able to use one in my world, you just have to find them as treasure as opposed to buying them in shops. As for the Races of Eberron, I only photocopied those pages, nothing else. So this does not mean I allow Eberron just because it is in the above list, I just allow those races. But be sure you still tell me what it is you are using (especially if it is a variant), I forget what I allow sometimes.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Human Telepath 1
unknown alignment.

Strength 10 (+0)
Dexterity 15 (+2)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 16 (+3)
Wisdom 15 (+2)
Charisma 11 (+0)

Total Hit Points: 13 [includes psionic body bonus: 3 psionic feats]

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 12 = 10 +2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 10

Languages: Common Beholder Goblin Orc

Feats:

Combat Manifestation [psionic]
Narrow Mind [psionic]
Psionic Body [psionic]

I'm a bit on the fence about combat manifestation and Narrow mind. I want to keep Psionic body for the HP bonus though since Psions are rather squishy with their D4 hit dice.

a few things to keep in mind.

1.I don't know what kind of setting this is going to be. This game isn't beginning for a while.
2. The DM uses torn asunder rules.
3. the last game the DM ran went to level 15.

NO CRITICISING THE DM.

anything else you guys need to know?

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-26, 08:27 AM
I'm a bit on the fence about combat manifestation and Narrow mind.

You'd probably be better off just getting Skill Focus (Concentration) for a constant +3 to all Concentration checks, rather than having a pair of situational +4s. And that's not really even necessary if you keep max ranks in the skill.

anything else you guys need to know?

Do you have any goals for your development, like a prestige class? Or just some idea of what kind of tactics you'll use? Do you need help with anything in particular?

riddles
2009-10-26, 08:48 AM
he bans bear warrior? seriously? and then allows spell from the spell compendium? stupido...

Cyclocone
2009-10-26, 10:25 AM
Feats:

Combat Manifestation [psionic]
Narrow Mind [psionic]
Psionic Body [psionic][/spoiler]

I'm a bit on the fence about combat manifestation and Narrow mind.

I'd dump them, they suck.

I want to keep Psionic body for the HP bonus though since Psions are rather squishy with their D4 hit dice.

Psionic Body sucks too. If you want hp, look no further than Vigor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm).

For feats, I'd get get Overchannel, Talented and maybe Psionic Meditation.
Since Incarnum is allowed, you might take a look at Midnight Augumentation (and maybe being an Azurin instead of a human).

For general advice, sice you're playing a Telepath, you're probably looking for powers like Schism, Dominate, Hostile Empathic Transfer, Death Urge, Ego Whip etc.
Expanded Knowledge for stuff like Hustle is nice too.

2. The DM uses torn asunder rules.

Lol wut?! people still play with that old melee nerf?

I was almost tempted to suggest things like Psicrystal cheese and Temporal Acceleration, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk it with a guy who likes critical fumbles.
Though at least you're playing a Psion, so it shouldn't be too horrible.

Optimystik
2009-10-26, 11:36 AM
he bans bear warrior? seriously? and then allows spell from the spell compendium? stupido...

He banned Bear Warrior but not Iot7FV?

Anyway, tell him to get CP so you can be an Erudite.

FMArthur
2009-10-26, 01:31 PM
As previously mentioned, Overchannel and Talented are both great psion feats. Consider looking at every discipline's and every other psionic class's power lists for good-looking powered to gain with the Expanded Knowledge feat. Quicken Power is an obviously good option if you want to get into metapsionics (see if you can get Metapower from Complete Psionic...), and to that end Psionic Meditation is a godsend for metapsionics and any other actions requiring the expenditure of a psionic focus.

Vigor is useful either as padding in preparation to take damage or just as temporary healing after you've taken some, until you're out of combat and can use cheap magic items to regain real hit points at your leasure.

Don't listen to Optimystik; Erudite is basically nonfunctional as-is. Both possible interpretations are screwy: if it's "unique powers per level per day", then it becomes strictly superior to a psion in every possible way and winds up with far more unique powers per day than a psion has powers known, which is obviously not the point of the variant. If it's "unique powers per day", all power levels included, you're totally screwed for almost your entire career, with all the versatility of a warlock but with a power point limitation.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 04:49 PM
please no insulting my DM. It's really unnecesarry and makes me want to avoid asking for advice on these boards at all.:smallannoyed:

also, in what way does Torn asunder nerf Melee? I haven't looked at it yet.

sofawall
2009-10-26, 04:54 PM
Dwarven Plate was reprinted, so it might be better now (never seen the previous version).

Also, when you say "Wondrous Items (all)" do you mean all wondrous items in AEG, or all, from anywhere?

Eldariel
2009-10-26, 04:59 PM
Vigor was suggested; if you really want HP, get Psicrystal Affinity and share Vigor & Share Pain with it. All damage dealt to you is halved and gets eaten off the Psi Crystal's Vigor. This gives you a LOT of HP. Best of all, Vigor is hours/level; pick up Extend Power and you're done fairly early on (though two castings should rarely be an issue).

Overchannel the Vigor to maximum and profit. Then you can pick up Psicrystal Containment to double up on your Metapsionics use; Metapsionics are fairly solid. Of course, on first level just basic Vigor is enough; it gets you 5 HP and can be remanifested once you get hit.

The set of feats I'd want on almost every Psion:
-Overchannel
-Talented
-Psicrystal Affinity
-Psionic Containment

then usually Psionic Meditation and metapsionics (and the works). I'd set out on that now; Psionic Body gets obsolete pretty fast (though given all the above feats are Psionic, I suppose it'd still act as a superior Toughness anyways).

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-26, 05:01 PM
please no insulting my DM. It's really unnecesarry and makes me want to avoid asking for advice on these boards at all.:smallannoyed:

also, in what way does Torn asunder nerf Melee? I haven't looked at it yet.

Not something I've encountered, but as I understand it it is some system/homebrew something that basically includes hideous maiming and crippling injuries and so on.

I'm guessing the danger falls mainly on melee, really.

Optimystik
2009-10-26, 05:33 PM
-Overchannel
-Talented
-Psicrystal Affinity
-Psionic Containment

then usually Psionic Meditation and metapsionics (and the works). I'd set out on that now; Psionic Body gets obsolete pretty fast (though given all the above feats are Psionic, I suppose it'd still act as a superior Toughness anyways).

Seconding this (and PM is almost mandatory in my opinion.)

Don't listen to Optimystik;

:smalltongue:

This handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1036.0) might help. There's a level-by-level Telepath build in the 4th post.

Samb
2009-10-26, 06:35 PM
If you need + to concentration and still want it to count as psionic for bonus HP, then psicrystal with single minded personality is the way to go. +3 to that skill for any situation, and you have a psicrystal which allows you do some techy stuff with.

There is nothing wrong with psionic body, don't listen to the naysayers, but I would say it is more useful at latter levels.

You should try to convince your DM to include CPsi for linked power, practised manifester, and metapower.

He doesn't allow kalashtar? Shfters and changlings are ok when kalashtar aren't? What gives? They have some nice racial sub levels for telepaths and they can use power link shards which provide 2 PP that can go over the ML limit.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 07:19 PM
he means all from the arms And equipment guide I believe since that's where it was stated under.

:smallsigh: please no criticising my DM. I'm going to put that in the first post now since most people don't seem to notice that.

Myrmex
2009-10-26, 07:24 PM
You definitely want a psicrystal. They're useful.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 07:42 PM
I should ask. what kind of Psicrystal should I get?

Optimystik
2009-10-26, 07:48 PM
I should ask. what kind of Psicrystal should I get?

I'd go with single-minded like Samb said. Concentration is your lifeblood as a manifester.

Stycotl
2009-10-26, 09:11 PM
-Overchannel
-Talented
-Psicrystal Affinity
-Psionic Containment

is this the psicrystal containment feat, or something else? just wanting to clarify in case i am missing a cool feat out there somewhere.

Samb
2009-10-26, 09:28 PM
I'd go with single-minded like Samb said. Concentration is your lifeblood as a manifester.

He was busy being defensive for his DM to read that part.....

I'm not criticizing your DM, but trying to convince you to at least try to talk to him about including books that would benefit your telepath. If that is being critical then I have offended many people (not that I care).

Kalasthar are one of the best races for any psionic build, since they give you one PP every level regardless of whether or not you even have MLs. The sub levels improve your mindlink PLA, boost the ML to your telepath powers (the other two sublevels are lackluster). Then you add in the power link shards and it is one of the best races for a telepath around.

If your DM is reasonable, and he appears to be given that he has allowed other stuff already, then you should at least try. If you are asking for help being defensive will not get you anywhere.

Samb
2009-10-26, 09:33 PM
Oh and psionic meditation is not mandatory unless you plan on using you focus a lot for metapsionics. If your DM is dead set on no Linked-power, I'd say meditation can take a back burner until he gets hustle.

Also, his concentration might not have the ranks needed to really make full use of it anyhow.

Synchronicity+linked power+ metapower is my favorite for level one builds.
Synchro is from races of stone and the other two are from CPsi.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 09:46 PM
if you're going to be constructive in your criticism fine. I don't mind that. just explain WHY I should do somethhing rather than the experience I've gotten with "Lawl your allows x but doesn't allow Y? what kind of retard is that guy?"

constructive criticism like you just gave explaining why I should convince him to allow that is absolutely FINE. Insulting my DM based on what he does and doesn't allow is not.

and I will ask him once the game starts. He is a pretty reasonable guy.

Samb
2009-10-26, 10:00 PM
I wasn't trying to insult him, just could not understand the reasoning behind excluding the one of the Eberron races while allowing the rest of the book.

Kalashtar aren't broken by any means. Mindlink isn't all that great when you can only use it 1/day. The huge PP bonus is nice but it's still only 20 PP in 20 levels. The sublevel has +1 ML to telepathic powers which is no worse than a wild surge or overchannel but it can't go higher than +1.

There should be no reason to ban it which means you should be able to make a good case for its inclusion if you tried.

Samb
2009-10-26, 10:07 PM
Just an addendum:
He allows changlings, which opens the door for changling egoist. These sub levels give +1 the egoist powers, allow you to change your psicrystal with a full turn action(!) and gives you hustle, and metamorph for free at level 5. Note you should not be able to get metamorph until level 7 but this lets you not only get it but manifest it at 6 (thanks to the +1 ML) or 5 if you combine it with overchannel.

You don't even need talented since you heal once you metamorph anyway. Very potent if you are willing to be an egoist instead of a telepath.

Worth considering.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 10:44 PM
Thank you for the advice. However I'd rather be a Telepath.

I can see now what you were just trying to help. I've just had a bad experience or two with Posters who don't help and just insult my DM's choices.

Eldariel
2009-10-27, 01:00 AM
is this the psicrystal containment feat, or something else? just wanting to clarify in case i am missing a cool feat out there somewhere.

It's Psicrystal Containment, yeah.

As for the personality, I really like Nimble Psicrystals. Though yeah, especially on low levels, Single-Minded is very good too. But I just like high initiative, particularly as a caster or a controller or charger melee.

As a skill monkey...well, Rogue still loves the easy SA, but otherwise it's less necessary. My point is, high initiative is good. Then again, so is high Concentration. So between those two probably.

Samb
2009-10-27, 04:49 AM
It's Psicrystal Containment, yeah.

As for the personality, I really like Nimble Psicrystals. Though yeah, especially on low levels, Single-Minded is very good too. But I just like high initiative, particularly as a caster or a controller or charger melee.

As a skill monkey...well, Rogue still loves the easy SA, but otherwise it's less necessary. My point is, high initiative is good. Then again, so is high Concentration. So between those two probably.

The 3rd level kalashtar telepath sub-level lets you get improved psicrystal, so you could get single-minded AND nimble with the cost of one power (which you get back and level 5).

lord_khaine
2009-10-27, 05:07 AM

Well, i personaly prefer the Heroic fragment, the improved fort save is really hard to give up on.

truemane
2009-10-27, 05:21 AM
The advice you've gotten so far is pretty good. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that at 7th level you get access to the Psychic Reformation Power, which allows you re-choose all your feats and all your Powers for a minimal XP expenditure (50 XP per level).

So Psions, alone of all the classes, can afford to make Feat choices for short-term benefit, confident that they can fix their choices later.

For example, I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about your Psionic Focus just yet. The only thing you need it for is Metapsionics and you can't really make any serious use of them until 5th to 7th level and above anyway.

Psionic Body is a great power at lower levels. Especially if your initial Feat choices are mostly Psionic Feats (as they are). You may find it less useful as you get up in levels (at higher levels you have the PP and the Power selection to be able to get HP, avoid taking damage and such and you'll find yourself hurting for feats) but at higher levels you can just re-choose it.

I would certainly forget about Combat Manifestation and Narrow Mind. a Narrow-Minded Psycrystal is a good way to go instead.

Overchannel and Talented are excellent choices, but I've found them to be the most useful in the mid-to-high levels and less so at lower levels. At first level, when jumping your ML by one would be VERY useful, it costs you two of your three feats, making you a bit of a one-trick pony. And with only 3 PP, being able to expend your Psionic Focus to use 2 of them on a single power is too close to going Nova for my liking.

I've had better results in the past just taking Psionic Talent twice, plus Psionic Body, for 6 extra hp and 5 extra PP (for a total of 8). This is just my personal experience, but I've found those extra PP realy allow you a lot of flexibility in the early levels. It's like a Wizard getting 5 free spells at 1st level. Suddenly you can use Powers in response to anything and everything without worrying about PP rationing. Kobolds atack? Psionic Daze! No money for the inn? Psionic Charm! Hot guy won't go out with you? Disable!

And then, when you reach 7th level, when those extra 5 PP aren't going the distance for you like they were, take Psychic Reformation (or pay an NPC to do it for you if the service is available) and start with the Psycrystal/ Overchannel/ Talented/ Psionic Mediation/ Containment strings.

I would also certainly echo the sentiment that asking for Kalashtar to be included is a good idea.