PDA

View Full Version : New Book Announcement

Archaicwonder
2009-10-26, 08:35 AM
Is anyone else just randomly refreshing the ookoodook Home Page waiting for the new ad?

So glad the boss isn't here today...

Trai
2009-10-26, 08:38 AM
Aye, cap'n. Not so much randomly refreshing as visiting the website on a whim a couple times every hour. :smallsmile:

Lissou
2009-10-26, 08:54 AM
Aye, cap'n. Not so much randomly refreshing as visiting the website on a whim a couple times every hour. :smallsmile:

Same here, except more often than every hour I guess :P
I'm trying not to get too obsessed with it, there are like 15 hours left to the day and nobody said the announcement would be in the morning. But I'm really excited.

Teddy
2009-10-26, 08:55 AM
Jupp, I can't wait. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-26, 08:57 AM
Yep, I checked as soon as I woke up. Now I'm just waiting.

Lissou
2009-10-26, 09:03 AM
Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that the Store page doesn't link to the new store? You have to go through the announcement to get there (or have it bookmarked).

I wonder if that's going to be changed.

Andore Mordre
2009-10-26, 09:56 AM
Yep, just waiting.....

:smallsigh:

Studoku
2009-10-26, 10:19 AM
:elan: Refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh the Ookoodook page.

Allan Surgite
2009-10-26, 10:22 AM
I'm not refreshing the page, since with shipping costs and so on, it's impractical for me to order the books one at a time.

Unless there's a UK retailer who would ship them for a lower price or something. *shrug~*

Trai
2009-10-26, 10:24 AM
:elan: Refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh the Ookoodook page.

*high fives*

I'm wondering if the Giant could possibly screw with us and post the news at, say, 11:59 tonight... technically it would still be the 26th...

Studoku
2009-10-26, 10:26 AM
I'm not refreshing the page, since with shipping costs and so on, it's impractical for me to order the books one at a time.

Unless there's a UK retailer who would ship them for a lower price or something. *shrug~*
Forbidden Planet tends to stock them.

Lissou
2009-10-26, 10:36 AM
*high fives*

I'm wondering if the Giant could possibly screw with us and post the news at, say, 11:59 tonight... technically it would still be the 26th...

He could post it tomorrow too, as long as it's still the 26th somewhere in the world, it wouldn't be false advertising :P

Andore Mordre
2009-10-26, 10:37 AM
He could post it tomorrow too, as long as it's still the 26th somewhere in the world, it wouldn't be false advertising :P

Y'know, I was just about to post something like that, and decided against it...then literally five seconds later, look what appears!

chef781
2009-10-26, 10:40 AM
I waited 'till 2 AM. I thot it was gonna RIGHT AT the 26th. well, the book will be called DPtP, But not sure what it stands for.

Kish
2009-10-26, 10:42 AM
I waited 'till 2 AM. I thot it was gonna RIGHT AT the 26th. well, the book will be called DPtP, But not sure what it stands for.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7154797#post7154797 , again.

chef781
2009-10-26, 10:51 AM
oh. Dang. Well, uh....

Berserk Monk
2009-10-26, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I'm waiting for them to announce the new book's called V for Vaarsuvius too.

badam104172
2009-10-26, 11:39 AM
wait... are we entirely sure that this isn't a prequel book or something? also, does anyone know what time zone the giant operates in?

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 11:42 AM
I just want to say that due to the book coming out soon, I have been rereading all of the other OOTS books in the mean time. I'm glad I am because I'm finding a bunch of "hints" Rich Burlew left in them that have already been achieved by today's date.:smallbiggrin: Now to try and decipher some of the other clues he left for us. (Even though I know I will have absolutely no idea what he means until he does it)

Lissou
2009-10-26, 12:18 PM
wait... are we entirely sure that this isn't a prequel book or something? also, does anyone know what time zone the giant operates in?

I can't say that I am entirely sure, but I think it's a compilation, and that pre-orders are going to be open.

It could be a prequel but I am not hoping for another one (as in, not ever), this way I can only be pleasantly surprised if one happens to be released.

NerfTW
2009-10-26, 12:56 PM

Start a new thread looking for people to order all in one group, then deliver to one person and have that person mail them out to others, if you can't find a retailer that can order it.

Of course, you'd have to REALLY trust the person you choose to receive the shipment.

And badam104172, it's most likely a compilation, since the last book just ended a few months ago, and any potential prequel books so far have been theorized to be about characters that haven't shown up completely yet. (Order of the Scribble or the more complete life stories of various characters)

Mc. Lovin'
2009-10-26, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting for them to announce the new book's called V for Vaarsuvius too.

As soon as they tell us the book isn't called that I am coming here and making a thread just to rub it in your face :smallannoyed:

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 01:16 PM
As soon as they tell us the book isn't called that I am coming here and making a thread just to rub it in your face :smallannoyed:

he obviously knows its not gonna be that, but he's realized that he can annoy people by saying that, so why not say it?

Totally Guy
2009-10-26, 01:16 PM

I just phoned up and asked what it's called. And it's not that.:smalltongue: Of course I'm lying, that'd be one crazy expensive international call. Never mind me. Just trying way too hard to make people laugh.

Kish
2009-10-26, 01:17 PM
he obviously knows its not gonna be that, but he's realized that he can annoy people by saying that, so why not say it?
...Because gratuitously annoying people isn't a good thing?

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 01:20 PM
Omg It Just Got Posted!!!

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 01:32 PM

I find your humor most distasteful. It did no just get posted.:smallannoyed:

Moogleking
2009-10-26, 01:39 PM

Harhar very funny; I mean it only just got posted.

Zordrath
2009-10-26, 01:41 PM
You, sir, are a twit. And directly beneath a post telling you that gratuitously annoying people isn't a good thing, too... :smallsigh:

Teddy
2009-10-26, 01:41 PM
I find your humor most distasteful. It did no just get posted.:smallannoyed:

I think he referes to Kish's post, but it could also be one of the lamest jokes I've ever read...

kaeptnjoker
2009-10-26, 01:42 PM
And here I was worried I might have remembered it to late (~8pm over here) :tongue:

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 01:46 PM
See? Gratuitously annoying people IS fun!

Berserk Monk
2009-10-26, 01:48 PM

Cool, and I'm sure it won't get shut down within the hour because you're mocking a playgrounder.

Shale
2009-10-26, 01:49 PM
Judging from the precedent that none of your posts have been touched either? Probably not.

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 01:50 PM
See? Gratuitously annoying people IS fun!

Ya! You're right! It is!

Now that you've had your fun, it's our turn. Now hold still.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-26, 01:54 PM
Judging from the precedent that none of your posts have been touched either? Probably not.

I'm not mocking anyone. I'm just trying to create a running gag.

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 01:55 PM
Ya! You're right! It is!

Now that you've had your fun, it's our turn. Now hold still.

that statement worries me...

on topic, the book could still be DPtP, even though the Giant said it wouldn't, he could have accidentally put that in the url, and just made up an excuse

Shale
2009-10-26, 01:56 PM
I'm not mocking anyone. I'm just trying to create a running gag.

You've made people want to gag you. Does that count?

BatRobin
2009-10-26, 02:01 PM
that statement worries me...

on topic, the book could still be DPtP, even though the Giant said it wouldn't, he could have accidentally put that in the url, and just made up an excuse

He said that there was a typo in it. So, it could be:

_PtP
D_tP
DP_P

or

DPt_

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 02:03 PM

_PtP
D_tP
DP_P

or

DPt_

What are you blabbering about?:smallconfused:

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 02:07 PM

_PtP
D_tP
DP_P

or

DPt_

OR like i said, he could have lied and it actually is that

Kish
2009-10-26, 02:10 PM
As a hypothesis, "Rich casually lies on his forum" lacks.

FujinAkari
2009-10-26, 02:12 PM
As a hypothesis, "Rich casually lies on his forum" lacks.

Agreed... any argument which assumes as its founding premise that the Giant has blatantly lied to us is a weak one by default :P

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 02:19 PM
Agreed... any argument which assumes as its founding premise that the Giant has blatantly lied to us is a weak one by default :P

i'm not saying he blatently lied, (well i guess i am...) but maybe he made an accident and came up with an excuse so people wouldn't speculate, or so that those you do will be wrong, like he's said in the FAQ, he's ok with being petty and proving people wrong

Gatekeeper
2009-10-26, 02:19 PM
Well War and XPs in the store has been retitled Don't Split the Party, so I think it's safe to assume that's the new title. Still no cover though.

Shale
2009-10-26, 02:21 PM
So it has. I guess that settles that, then.

Edit: Also, check out what's written at the top of the page!

"# Ten pages of author commentary which will be horribly misquoted to support the more outlandish fan theories.
# A special dedication to Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, creators of Dungeons & Dragons.
# Preface by Roy Greenhilt.
# A recap of events-to-date by Belkar Bitterleaf.
# Printed on 50% recycled paper.

The next stage of the stick figure action-comedy-drama-fantasy saga is here at last, and it's just waiting for you to add it to your growing collection of fine The Order of the Stick trade paperbacks.

Author and Illustrator: Rich Burlew
Format: 272 pages, full color"

Double edit: And if you go into the page source, you'll find this:

"Divided by the events of War and XPs, our heroes struggle to reunite in this fourth compilation of the popular online comic, <em>The Order of the Stick!</em> With their leader, ah, indisposed, Haley leads the quest to bring him back from the, uh, the place that he is at. (Hey, some people only read the comic in book form, I don't want to spoil it for them.) Meanwhile, her love Elan contends with new threats at sea, including some direct competition for her man! And how will these problems drive one of the Order's own to take an offer they should have refused? Find out in the exciting continuation of the OOTS story, <em>Don't Split the Party</em>! Here's what the book contains:"

Presumably that would then be followed by the list I already posted.

Gatekeeper
2009-10-26, 02:28 PM
Looks like we're also in for Get Roy and Elan's Underwater Adventure bonus strips. The battle for the bone golem I get, but underwater adventure?

Trai
2009-10-26, 02:30 PM
That was really anticlimactic... you'd think the title/summary of the book wouldn't be "announced" through mistakenly changing the product description of War and XPs...

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 02:31 PM
so... whats the name a reference to?

anything?

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 02:33 PM
So it has. I guess that settles that, then.

Edit: Also, check out what's written at the top of the page!

"# Ten pages of author commentary which will be horribly misquoted to support the more outlandish fan theories.
# A special dedication to Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, creators of Dungeons & Dragons.
# Preface by Roy Greenhilt.
# A recap of events-to-date by Belkar Bitterleaf.
# Printed on 50% recycled paper.

The next stage of the stick figure action-comedy-drama-fantasy saga is here at last, and it's just waiting for you to add it to your growing collection of fine The Order of the Stick trade paperbacks.

Author and Illustrator: Rich Burlew
Format: 272 pages, full color"

Double edit: And if you go into the page source, you'll find this:

"Divided by the events of War and XPs, our heroes struggle to reunite in this fourth compilation of the popular online comic, <em>The Order of the Stick!</em> With their leader, ah, indisposed, Haley leads the quest to bring him back from the, uh, the place that he is at. (Hey, some people only read the comic in book form, I don't want to spoil it for them.) Meanwhile, her love Elan contends with new threats at sea, including some direct competition for her man! And how will these problems drive one of the Order's own to take an offer they should have refused? Find out in the exciting continuation of the OOTS story, <em>Don't Split the Party</em>! Here's what the book contains:"

Presumably that would then be followed by the list I already posted.

Wait! Where'd all this come from? Where?

Nevermind, found it.

DBJack
2009-10-26, 02:34 PM
Sounds like 'Don't Stop the Party.' There's also an old roleplaying joke called 'Don't Split the Party' in which groups can be broken by a DM splitting the party

edit: link to an essay about party splitting (http://www.errantdreams.com/static/split_party)

Kish
2009-10-26, 02:35 PM
Pay up, Monk.

And thus we learn that the typo was DPTP instead of DSTP.

Shale
2009-10-26, 02:35 PM
http://www.ookoodook.com/store/DontSplitTheParty.shtml

Right there. For a little while before they actually posted the book, the update glitched and you could find the promo text in the source code of that page.

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 02:37 PM
cover is up!

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 02:38 PM
cover is up!

And for real this time! It looks awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2009-10-26, 02:38 PM
Nice picture. The panel's ripped in two, Haley and Elan trying to hold hands.

The Giant
2009-10-26, 02:39 PM
Kevin is having a little trouble with the new site, it should be fixed soon.

There is no pun or allusion in the title.

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 02:42 PM
And for real this time! It looks awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Hooray for not lying! And also i feel special for telling everyone! My life has meaning!

The cover is pretty awesome, too

BatRobin
2009-10-26, 02:44 PM
Monk...

ALL OF UR GP R BELONG 2 US

Aaron
2009-10-26, 02:45 PM
Awesome! :smallbiggrin: I like how Rich made it look like Elan and Haley are trying to hold hands. (but they're not)

Mc. Lovin'
2009-10-26, 03:06 PM

Doesn't that stingggggggggggggggg

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 03:08 PM
Doesn't that stingggggggggggggggg

Does it even matter?:smallconfused:

BatRobin
2009-10-26, 03:11 PM
Does it even matter?:smallconfused:

It sorta does, because Monk was being a big jerk and semi-flamed all who opposed his idea of VfV.

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 03:12 PM
It sorta does, because Monk was being a big jerk and semi-flamed all who opposed his idea of VfV.

But again, does it really matter to return the flame back to the point of origin to begin with?

Darius1020
2009-10-26, 03:13 PM
anyone else find it ironic that rich doesn't say that roy is dead, but he's in the picture as a ghost?

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 03:14 PM
anyone else find it ironic that rich doesn't say that roy is dead, but he's in the picture as a ghost?

A little, yes. But he has his reasons and I see no need to impede on it.

Lissou
2009-10-26, 03:30 PM

It could be interpreted as a magical effect of some sort though, I guess.

Teddy
2009-10-26, 04:11 PM
Yay for new book! Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

And then we get to that matter with the misspelled abbreviation. Sure, it's completely okay to write DPtP instead of DStP once in the URL for a slideshow picture, but twice? (I'm talking about this (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/slideshow/Slideshow_DPtP_Preorder.gif))

Ted The Bug
2009-10-26, 04:30 PM
Yay for new book! Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

And then we get to that matter with the misspelled abbreviation. Sure, it's completely okay to write DPtP instead of DStP once in the URL for a slideshow picture, but twice? (I'm talking about this (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/slideshow/Slideshow_DPtP_Preorder.gif))

Perhaps the Giant was considering naming it "Don't Part the Party", but decided that it sounded a little awkward and changed it at the last moment.

*waits for the Giant to post and prove him completely wrong*

Lissou
2009-10-26, 04:32 PM
I believe it was simpler to save the new image under the same file name than to recode everything to match the different name.

Teddy
2009-10-26, 04:33 PM
Perhaps the Giant was considering naming it "Don't Part the Party", but decided that it sounded a little awkward and changed it at the last moment.

*waits for the Giant to post and prove him completely wrong*

Yes, I was thinking a bit in that way too, but decided that the side note was too long already to write even more into it.

*waits for something as awesome as that to happen*

EDIT:

I believe it was simpler to save the new image under the same file name than to recode everything to match the different name.

Perhaps I ought to mention that the file names aren't the same. the first one ends with "teaser" and the seccond one with "preorder".

Lissou
2009-10-26, 04:42 PM
Perhaps I ought to make proper Spot Checks before answering >.>

The Giant
2009-10-26, 05:07 PM
I cannot believe you are arguing over a typo in an image name.

I created both the Teaser and the Preorder banners at the same time. I made the Preorder banner, named it (incorrectly), then duplicated it and added the brown "Don't Open!" graphic in front of the image. I saved it again, changing only the word Teaser to Preorder and not noticing the typo. I then sent both to Kevin at Ookoodook over a week ago. He just put the second one up today, but it still has the wrong title because it wasn't important enough for me to bother him to change it while he is trying to get the store up and running. And it STILL isn't important enough for me to bother contacting him about it, because image file names aren't important as long as the HTML knows where to look for them!

Now that should end that, at least until the books arrive and you guys see that there's a third "Order now!" version that Kevin already has that also has the typo, and we can all have this conversation again.

Lissou
2009-10-26, 05:13 PM
You should know by now that people will argue over absolutely everything you say or do. That is your curse as a famous person.

I wasn't expecting you to actually explain what happened, so thanks for doing so.

Shale
2009-10-26, 05:15 PM
I cannot believe you are arguing over a typo in an image name.

Really? I've only been posting here for a month and I'm already not surprised.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-26, 08:32 PM

I find it ironic that the book isn't called V for Vaarsuvius.

Uncle Festy
2009-10-26, 08:59 PM
*sneak attacks Berserk upside the head*
Well. That was therapeutic.
Anyways.
I can't wait to see Belkar's preface. That should be fun. ^^

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-26, 11:51 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure the next book will be.

factotum
2009-10-27, 02:45 AM

I think we probably got the idea you wanted it to be called that about 37 repetitions ago, but thanks for reminding us.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-27, 03:35 AM

You haven't destroyed Carthage yet?

Andore Mordre
2009-10-27, 08:15 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure the next book will be.

Don't encourage him. :smalleek:

Big Hungry Joe
2009-10-27, 09:47 AM
Mmm, booky. Pre-ordered with extreme prejudice.

A recap of events-to-date by Belkar Bitterleaf.

This should be fantastic.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-27, 07:42 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: If you're still refreshing to see the new book cover, you're doing it wrong. :smallsmile: (There are other discussion threads for the book more topical now.)