PDA

View Full Version : Survival Games?

Rae
2009-10-26, 11:11 AM
I really enjoyed Unreal World (a survival themed roguelike set in iron age Finland), but I've grown bored of it for various reasons.

I like the idea of the genre, but I don't think I've ever even seen a similarly themed game. I was hoping some of the readers here could shed some light on other survival games and perhaps recommend some favorites.

Thanks!

Zovc
2009-10-26, 11:32 AM
To my knowledge, Dwarf Fortress is THE survival game.

You're never going to win, you're just going to "survive" for an undefined amount of time.

Rae
2009-10-26, 12:16 PM
I should have been more specific.

Unreal world you play a single character, and the focus is on wilderness survival. This involved hunting, building shelter, skinning animals to make clothes, ect.
I love dwarf fortress, but it's not the same type of game at all.

chiasaur11
2009-10-26, 12:17 PM
Ever tried the Lost in Blue series?

A lot more effort spent just getting food and water than I like, but you might dig them.

jamroar
2009-10-26, 01:07 PM
Ever tried the Lost in Blue series?

A lot more effort spent just getting food and water than I like, but you might dig them.

Also, the old dos games Robinson's Requiem and Deus.

Ikialev
2009-10-26, 01:15 PM
Also, the old dos games Robinson's Requiem and Deus.

Which are impossibly hard and EVERYTHING kills you there. Even things you can't see.
You can amputate all your limbs, though. :3 that makes up for this. And the great 3DO acting.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-26, 02:22 PM
To my knowledge, Dwarf Fortress is THE survival game.

You're never going to win, you're just going to "survive" for an undefined amount of time.

One guy claims to have had a fort go for 300 years of in game time. All the starting dwarves have long died from old age. The human liaison seems to be functionally immortal, but that's probably because he isn't a citizen so his age isn't actively tracked.

Drascin
2009-10-26, 02:33 PM
The theme reminds me of an old Game Boy game I had. Stranded Kids, I think. Had a lot of fun dying in it - particularly because I didn't know much English at the time, so I had to play it Nethack style - try and see what happens :smallbiggrin:.

Lost in Blue seems to be pretty much a spiritual successor to it, so it is likely decent.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-26, 06:33 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is a tactical FPS with some emphasis on survival, but it's probably not as gritty and granular as you want. Unmodded, at least. There are mods for it that add in mechanics for sleeping and such, which might make it more interesting to you.

There's also Hellmoo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122513), a post-apocalyptic MUD that might be relevant. I've never played it myself, though.

warty goblin
2009-10-26, 06:57 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is a tactical FPS with some emphasis on survival, but it's probably not as gritty and granular as you want. Unmodded, at least. There are mods for it that add in mechanics for sleeping and such, which might make it more interesting to you.

From what I've read the upcoming S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat adds the need to sleep back into the main game. This is a good thing, and I think shows the series moving back in a good direction since Clear Sky got rid of the food requirements. I mean, who doesn't have fond memories of nearly starving to death in the middle of a gun battle?

Myrmex
2009-10-26, 07:04 PM
There are a series of maps for warcraft 3 called Wilderness Survival where you have to survive in a frozen wasteland, collecting items, building huts, killing deer, avoiding wolves, etc.

There's a competitive version called Troll Tribes where 3 tribes of 4 trolls choose different classes (thief, hunter, shaman, trapper, etc) and then have to build a village while surviving starvation, cold, wild animals and enemy troll raids.

PumpkinEater
2009-10-26, 07:43 PM
Stranded (http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/s1_infos.php) and Stranded II

Rae
2009-10-28, 11:14 AM
I don't have a DS for Lost In Blue, unfortunately.
I've gotten a hold of Robinson's Requiem - I do believe I start out PARACHUTING OUT OF A SPACESHIP. +5 points
I haven't quite figured out things like how to play yet though.

Thanks guys

Croverus
2009-10-28, 11:25 AM
There are a series of maps for warcraft 3 called Wilderness Survival where you have to survive in a frozen wasteland, collecting items, building huts, killing deer, avoiding wolves, etc.

There's a competitive version called Troll Tribes where 3 tribes of 4 trolls choose different classes (thief, hunter, shaman, trapper, etc) and then have to build a village while surviving starvation, cold, wild animals and enemy troll raids.

I've played that. I usually play as a trapper and use nets to pin down enemies before they have a chance to run away.