PDA

View Full Version : Don't Split the Party (OoTS book 4)

FredGuy
2009-10-02, 10:59 PM
Hi,

I have a penchant for the Order of the Stick in book form. In fact, I really only read the books, so I am "anxious" for the next book to come out. It's been about a year since "War and XPs". Is there any new information?
I have been "watching" the OOTS news bar (I know, I don't read the strip online but I will visit the site for news, I am a weirdo), but I haven't seen anything.

If anybody has any information, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Silverraptor
2009-10-02, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I have a penchant for the Order of the Stick in book form. In fact, I really only read the books, so I am "anxious" for the next book to come out. It's been about a year since "War and XPs". Is there any new information?
I have been "watching" the OOTS news bar (I know, I don't read the strip online but I will visit the site for news, I am a weirdo), but I haven't seen anything.

If anybody has any information, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nope. None of us really have any idea when the next book comes out.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-10-02, 11:27 PM
(I know, I don't read the strip online but I will visit the site for news, I am a weirdo)

You sure are! At least, when it DOES come out, you won't have to reread old strips before you get to the bonus ones. I guess when you don't read the strip online, EVERY strip is a bonus strip.

But to answer your question, no. Rich doesn't post here too often except to say "New comic is up." So nobody will know anything that isn't on the front page. Just keep reading that.

AxeD
2009-10-03, 02:41 AM
You.. don't read the strip online? It's taking a while to get that around my brain :smallconfused:

To each his own, I guess.

David Argall
2009-10-03, 02:46 AM
You want book 4? Come back next Summer.

Desmond Tiny
2009-10-04, 10:32 AM
I don't think there is any news of the book coming out soon.

King of Nowhere
2009-10-04, 11:00 AM
The online strips of book 4 were finished less than two months ago.
War and XP took more than a year from the moment the latest strip appeared online to the moment the book was available for sale.
Don't remember for the other books, probably it took a little less.
So I see little chances the book will be out before next summer, as david said.

It feels so weird knowing you still don't know what happened right after the battle for azure city... it's been more than two years of online comics your outdated...

DBJack
2009-10-26, 02:32 PM
On the comics section of Ookoodook, War and XPs was renamed to Don't Split the Party. DPtP was typod in the 'P' I guess. The cover has a pink V. The info reads:

"Divided by the events of War and XPs, our heroes struggle to reunite in this fourth compilation of the popular online comic, The Order of the Stick! With their leader, ah, indisposed, Haley leads the quest to bring him back from the, uh, the place that he is at. (Hey, some people only read the comic in book form, I don't want to spoil it for them.) Meanwhile, her love Elan contends with new threats at sea, including some direct competition for her man! And how will these problems drive one of the Order's own to take an offer they should have refused? Find out in the exciting continuation of the OOTS story, Don't Split the Party! Here's what the book contains:

All of the comics from #485 to #673, inclusive.
More than 15 bonus comics, including two all-new deleted scenes: Elan's Underwater Adventure and Get Roy.
Ten pages of author commentary which will be horribly misquoted to support the more outlandish fan theories.
A special dedication to Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, creators of Dungeons & Dragons.
Preface by Roy Greenhilt.
A recap of events-to-date by Belkar Bitterleaf.
Printed on 50% recycled paper.

The next stage of the stick figure action-comedy-drama-fantasy saga is here at last, and it's just waiting for you to add it to your growing collection of fine The Order of the Stick trade paperbacks.

Author and Illustrator: Rich Burlew
Format: 272 pages, full color"

So it'll probably be available, what, late novemeber eary december-ish? The cover hasn't updated yet, probably a glitch on the website's part, but it looks like orders can be placed.

What is the pun on? Don't Stop the Party? There's a phrase of the same name to answer the question of whether DMs should split the parties for lengthy adventures. Doesn't look like it's gonna be V for Vaarsuvius, unfortunately for BM.

jidasfire
2009-10-26, 02:38 PM
I don't think it's a pun on any classical work, so much as the conventional D&D wisdom that you never split up your party, because it just makes it easier for the DM to screw you over.

In any case, sounds pretty awesome!

The Recreator
2009-10-26, 02:39 PM
#485 - #673? That can't be right…

BatRobin
2009-10-26, 02:40 PM
Don't Split the Party sounds familiar...it's a pun on something.

The Giant
2009-10-26, 02:41 PM

No, it isn't.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-26, 02:41 PM
I had a feeling it would be that (Though I kept it to myself. Nobody's gonna believe me anyway, so whatever.)

Anyway, seems awesome, and I wish I had disposable income.

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 02:42 PM
No, it isn't.

And so it has been spoken, so it shall be.

DBJack
There is no pun or allusion in the title.

Well there is is

*Edit* ninja'd by the Giant :smallredface:

BatRobin
That.

Cover.

Is.

EPIC.

The Recreator
2009-10-26, 02:43 PM
When will the pre-orders ship? The page doesn't indicate anything about that.

Zweee
2009-10-26, 02:44 PM
Hmmm. I definitely wouldn't have guessed that title but it fits.

New book. Yay!!!

Trai
I'm most definitely pre-ordering this and the Action Girl shirt, because my Haley/Elan-shipping heart squees with joy over a shirt with the two of them...

CoffeeIncluded
"Don't split the party" is just Rule #1 of any and all RPG games.

Because the second you've got the walking box-of-bandaids all the way on one side of the battlefield, the squishy wizard all the way on the other side, the fighter in the middle, and the rouge/ranger/whatever character relies on evasion all exposed (Along with the aforementioned Squishy Wizard), you. Are. Screwed.

The Giant
2009-10-26, 02:46 PM
When will the pre-orders ship? The page doesn't indicate anything about that.

Preorders will ship when the books get back from the printer, sometime between mid-November and the end of November. The exact date is currently unknown to us.

The Recreator
2009-10-26, 02:48 PM
Awesome - just in time for the holiday rush!

Now to decide: order it myself, or put it on the wish list? Hmm…

Faldrath
2009-10-26, 02:49 PM
I'm trying to place an international order, but I have been unable to since it forces me to select a state in my shipping address, but there's no "Non-US/Canada" option there. Any chance this will be fixed soon?

Aaron
2009-10-26, 02:50 PM
Well there is is

*Edit* ninja'd by the Giant :smallredface:

Now that's what you call Epic Level Ninja'ing!:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Logalmier
2009-10-26, 02:51 PM
The pre-order link isn't working for me.:smallfrown:

The Giant
2009-10-26, 02:55 PM
At this point, the solution to all problems is currently "Wait 20 minutes and try again." People are actively working on the pages you are accessing and they are not 100% yet. If, after 20 minutes, something still isn't working, then feel free to post it here.

sallythetimid
2009-10-26, 02:58 PM
Will there be a magnet with this book? On the one hand, I want to support my local game store and so feel I ought to buy through them. On the other hand, I really would love a magnet.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-26, 02:58 PM
Huzzah! I have something to attack with my mighty +3 Debit Card of Disposable Income!
Have at thee!

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 02:59 PM
At this point, the solution to all problems is currently "Wait 20 minutes and try again." People are actively working on the pages you are accessing and they are not 100% yet. If, after 20 minutes, something still isn't working, then feel free to post it here.

I guess that all the heavy traffic is helping either, right? Well, even if it isn't doing anything, I'm closing my opened page on it to give a little breathing room all the same.

Huzzah! I have something to attack with my mighty +3 Debit Card of Disposable Income!
Have at thee!

This is purely awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2009-10-26, 03:01 PM
You know, the name "Don't Split the Party" popped into my head late late last night as I was thinking of possibilites for the title.

Course a few dozen other titles also popped up, so it's not like I can claim I was prescient or anything. :smalltongue:

Glad to see you were able to turn this around so quickly, Rich. :smallsmile:

EDIT:::

I did nail the Page Count tho! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7138905&postcount=16)

272 pages on the nose. GO ME!!! :smallcool::smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

Mc. Lovin'
2009-10-26, 03:11 PM
Preorders will ship when the books get back from the printer, sometime between mid-November and the end of November. The exact date is currently unknown to us.

If I buy this book and Start of Darkness, will they both be shipped at the same time (when DStP is released) or will SoD ship now?

The Giant
2009-10-26, 03:11 PM
Will there be a magnet with this book? On the one hand, I want to support my local game store and so feel I ought to buy through them. On the other hand, I really would love a magnet.

There will be some sort of gift for people who order the new book before Christmas, and a magnet for anyone who spends $50 or more (regardless of what they buy).

Both gifts will be applied retroactively back to the beginning of Ookoodook once we are ready to announce them (probably in a few days; I need to get them back from THEIR printer first). So if you order now, you will get the gifts even though they haven't been officially announced.

The Giant
2009-10-26, 03:12 PM
If I buy this book and Start of Darkness, will they both be shipped at the same time (when DStP is released) or will SoD ship now?

They will be shipped at the same time. If you need SOD earlier for some reason, place two separate orders.

fangthane
And so it has been spoken, so it shall be.

Ha!

You know as well as I do that merely knowing what the author said won't dissuade people in the slightest from commenting on the topic as if he didn't even exist.

Just throw it on the pile of "asked-and-answered-but-didn't-like-the-answer" along with Belkar's alignment, Miko's chance of a comeback, etc. :)

And in the meantime, it's looking like time to check whether my local D&D shop will get it in a timely fashion or whether I need to set up an account on ookoodook.

Lissou
Preordered.

Also, I totally guessed the title the second I saw it :P

I'm mostly happy Berserk Monk will hopefully stop giving me nightmares now.

Trai
2009-10-26, 03:15 PM
Are there ever going to be cheaper shipping options? I think that shipping costs of $15.30 for a book and a t-shirt is a bit ridiculous. Priority Mail seems excessive when there's cheaper options available.

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 03:18 PM
Ha!

You know as well as I do that merely knowing what the author said won't dissuade people in the slightest from commenting on the topic as if he didn't even exist.

Just throw it on the pile of "asked-and-answered-but-didn't-like-the-answer" along with Belkar's alignment, Miko's chance of a comeback, etc. :)

Yes I do, unfortunately. But the fact still stands in my mind atleast.

The Recreator
2009-10-26, 03:20 PM
There will be some sort of gift for people who order the new book before Christmas, and a magnet for anyone who spends $50 or more (regardless of what they buy).

Both gifts will be applied retroactively back to the beginning of Ookoodook once we are ready to announce them (probably in a few days; I need to get them back from THEIR printer first). So if you order now, you will get the gifts even though they haven't been officially announced.

Is that $50 at once, or $50 cumulative? Will merch from the older Order of the Stick store eventually be sold on Ookoodook? Is the $50 promotion a limited-time offer?

…Sorry if this is getting to be a bit much. I'm naturally inquisitive.:smallredface:

The Giant
2009-10-26, 03:26 PM
Is that $50 at once, or $50 cumulative?

In one order.

Will merch from the older Order of the Stick store eventually be sold on Ookoodook?

Which older store? The CafePress one? No, CafePress is print-on-demand, the two don't mix and match. We may, at some point, create new designs for Ookoodook that reference the same idea as some of the CafePress shirts.

If you mean the APE Games store, it's already there.

Is the $50 promotion a limited-time offer?

Yes. While supplies last or December 31.

Trai
2009-10-26, 03:27 PM

Then again, perhaps I should shut up about the shipping costs since it would be spending more than $50... :smallbiggrin:

Lissou
2009-10-26, 03:34 PM
I only preordered the book, but I'd like the magnet. Should I contact someone to ask if I can add something to my order, or do I need to place a separate 50 dollar order?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-26, 03:44 PM
Hmm... $50 dollars gets me a magnet?

Seems like as good a time as any to beg my mom to buy it for me. :smalltongue:

inb4VforVaarsuvius

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 03:44 PM
no. the title isn't a pun but here is why it MAY be familiar to some of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa2ucfgVgQ

The Giant
2009-10-26, 03:49 PM
Are there ever going to be cheaper shipping options? I think that shipping costs of $15.30 for a book and a t-shirt is a bit ridiculous. Priority Mail seems excessive when there's cheaper options available.

OK, Kevin from Ookoodook informs me that the t-shirts were mistakenly set to Priority Mail (box) instead of Priority Mail (envelope). He is working on fixing it, and anyone who has already ordered a t-shirt at the higher shipping rate will be refunded.

At this time, however, we are only set up to ship Priority Mail so that we can provide tracking numbers and other benefits to insure delivery.

Ted The Bug
2009-10-26, 03:51 PM
"Elan's Underwater Adventure"
Ladies and gentlemen, this may be the greatest written work known to man.

The Recreator
2009-10-26, 03:56 PM
Cool, just one last thing: is the inclusion of Comic #673 in the item description a typo?

Thanks for your patience with our (but mostly my) unending questions!:smallsmile:

xyzzy
2009-10-26, 03:57 PM
No, it isn't.

Ten pages of author commentary which will be horribly misquoted to support the more outlandish fan theories.

Okay, but what if...

Almanro_De_Nerossa
2009-10-26, 04:05 PM
Hi Giant!

A question: before Christmas there will be other new OOTS products (related to the comic or board game)?

Thanks

Edit: The reason is the one written in the next post: I don't want to spend too much in shipping rates! :P

Ancalagon
2009-10-26, 04:06 PM
Humpf... could someone kick the erfworld-people to place their book as pre-order before christmas? As the shipping is 13.xx$, I wanted to order both of those cool books in one go.
If that cannot happen... is the gift cool enough to just pre-order book 4 now? ;)

The Giant
2009-10-26, 04:19 PM
Hi Giant!

A question: before Christmas there will be other new OOTS products (related to the comic or board game)?

Uncertain at this time. As in, I hope there will be, but I cannot guarantee it because such products have not been completed (much less printed) yet. There will not be any more books, however; such products will fall into the t-shirt or "other" category.

Humpf... could someone kick the erfworld-people to place their book as pre-order before christmas? As the shipping is 13.xx$, I wanted to order both of those cool books in one go.
If that cannot happen... is the gift cool enough to just pre-order book 4 now? ;)

Erfworld will be available for pre-order by Christmas somewhere, but not necessarily at Ookoodook. Rob and I are still working out whether preorders will be exclusive to Erfworld.com.

Random832
2009-10-26, 04:20 PM
My 50 GP says it's
Don't Split the Party

:smallbiggrin:

So who else made bets?

Shale
2009-10-26, 04:23 PM

$15.30? I'm seeing $4.95, and that's for all six books and a T-shirt...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-26, 04:24 PM
:smallbiggrin:

So who else made bets?

I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned V for Vaarsuvius once.

Or twice.

Or 130421498798 times. :smallannoyed:

Lissou
2009-10-26, 04:30 PM

Really? I got 12 dollars for just the book... Although since I'm a bit too much North (Canada) that counts as International. But International to Canada is cheaper than to Europe I would guess, no?

Shale
2009-10-26, 04:31 PM
Shipping to the great frozen north is still across a border, so the international rates would apply. But the person I was responding to is in the US, so I'm confused.

Lissou
2009-10-26, 04:38 PM
I realise that. I don't know all systems but I know that in France, shipping internationally within Europe, to Africa or to North America would cost different amounts of money. I just assumed it was based on distance everywhere.

Drats, if it costs the same to order it from Canada than from France I moved for nothing >.>

k_bukie
2009-10-26, 04:40 PM

...it is...
That does it for the misquoting, now to come up with an outlandish fan theory...

Rae Artemi
2009-10-26, 04:41 PM
Quick question for the Giant, does the 50$ for the gift include shipping?

wootage
2009-10-26, 04:41 PM
Preordered! I bet I get the title joke after I read a bit :)

Lissou
2009-10-26, 04:44 PM
Quick question for the Giant, does the 50$ for the gift include shipping?

I'm going to guess no. That money isn't part of the order, it's money they'll spend to ship the stuff to us, so they don't earn anything from it.
It would also be unfair that people who live further could buy less stuff because they'd spend more on shipping, and still get the magnet.

BatRobin
2009-10-26, 04:46 PM
Preordered! I bet I get the title joke after I read a bit :)

We already get the title joke. All of us.

Almanro_De_Nerossa
2009-10-26, 04:52 PM
Firstly, thanks for the fast answers.

I have another last question, when you said:

"There will be some sort of gift for people who order the new book before Christmas, and a magnet for anyone who spends $50 or more (regardless of what they buy)."

In the $50 are there the shipping fees? (For example, for Italy the Shipping Rate is $14.95, so buying things for $36 I already spend more than $50 as total, but only $36 in the shop).

Thanks

Edit: while I was writing, Rae Altemi asked the same question...

To Lissou: it is important to know if the shipping rates are considered or not, and moreover, if somebody doesn't live in the USA and he's a supporter of the OOTS, he has to spend much more money for the same product... It's not that somebody will pay less for the magnet, on the contrary: somebody will pay the same while getting less products cause the shipping rates! :(

PS: I'll pre-order the book anyways ;P

RMS Oceanic
2009-10-26, 04:52 PM
Aaaaand ordered!

The Giant
2009-10-26, 04:57 PM
The $50 threshold will not include shipping, for the reasons Lissou mentioned: The incentive is intended to get people to buy more of our products, and higher shipping rates only benefit the Post Office, not us. We don't get to keep any of the extra money associated with higher shipping overseas.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-26, 05:21 PM
I was in the middle of pre-ordering, and I ran into a predicament.
I'd love to smite your products with the previously mentioned Debit Card of Disposable Income, but I cannot find the "Armed Forces, Pacific" selection anywhere in the ookoodook drop-down list.
So - what do I do here, guys?
Please?
Anybody?
Help?:smallfrown:

Trai
2009-10-26, 05:42 PM

The Giant answered this before. I was looking at it before the admin for the site fixed the page. Shirts were set to automatically be shipped in a box for Priority Mail rather than envelope Priority Mail. It's fixed now; that's why you're seeing $4.95.

Shale
2009-10-26, 05:44 PM
Spot check: Failed. Sorry about that.

Friv
2009-10-26, 05:49 PM
no. the title isn't a pun but here is why it MAY be familiar to some of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa2ucfgVgQ

*grins* That's the one I was thinking of.

Common RPG statement, though. I love it. :smalltongue:

OmegaDonut
2009-10-26, 06:23 PM
Do non-OOTS products from Ookoodook count towards the $50 goal? I'm despairing because DStP + a scratch & dent DCF is just $1.10 short of $50, before shipping.

Puns de León
2009-10-26, 07:27 PM
Don't Split the Party.

Tolkien, I'm looking at you.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-26, 07:49 PM
Um, Rich, I don't mean to sound like a stickler, but the title should be spelt V (space) F-O-R (space) V-A-A-R-S-U-V-I-U-S.

BatRobin
2009-10-26, 07:51 PM
Um, Rich, I don't mean to sound like a stickler, but the title should be spelt V (space) F-O-R (space) V-A-A-R-S-U-V-I-U-S.

And your name should be spelled

P-E-R-S-O-N (space) W-H-O (spaaace) C-A-N-'-T (spaaaace) L-E-T (space) I-T (space) G-O.

EDIT: That should've been a Kanye West thing. "YO BERSERK MONK I LIKE YO TITLE AN ALL AND IM'A LET U FINISH BUT DON'T SPLIT DA PARTEH IS THE BEST OF ALL TIME!"

Mystic Muse
2009-10-26, 07:53 PM

no, no. poor, poor brain addled Berserk monk. it should be spelt.

A(space) T-A-L-E (space) O-F(space) T-W-O (space) P-A-R-T-I-E-S

@^ spelt is a perfectly legitimate way to spell it. Also flaming is frowned upon.

BatRobin
2009-10-26, 07:55 PM
A Tale of 2 Parties was good, but how the heck would you fit it on a book?

Jagos
2009-10-26, 08:08 PM
Ten pages of author commentary which will be horribly misquoted to support the more outlandish fan theories

I have to "lol" on this one. The fact that Rich reads the threads and sees what we come up with just says so much. *chuckles*

Berserk Monk
2009-10-26, 08:16 PM
And your name should be spelled

P-E-R-S-O-N (space) W-H-O (spaaace) C-A-N-'-T (spaaaace) L-E-T (space) I-T (space) G-O.

Really? Oh man sorry. I'll try and get it changed to that as soon as possible.

Iago
2009-10-26, 08:25 PM
The Order of the Stick! With their leader, ah, indisposed, Haley leads the quest to bring him back from the, uh, the place that he is at. (Hey, some people only read the comic in book form, I don't want to spoil it for them.)

Forgive me if this has been mentioned about 68 times to date, but if people only read the books, then they still would have seen Roy fall to his death and join his father on the fluffy white clouds in the last book, which went through comic #484. Hence, the delicacy is unnecessary.

Or did I miss something?

Trai
2009-10-26, 08:34 PM
Forgive me if this has been mentioned about 68 times to date, but if people only read the books, then they still would have seen Roy fall to his death and join his father on the fluffy white clouds in the last book, which went through comic #484. Hence, the delicacy is unnecessary.

Or did I miss something?

I think he means it more for the people that might come to the strip after this book. Or maybe a hapless person who hasn't read the series, or has only read the early books (say, Dungeon Crawlin' and Paladin Blues) and not WaXPs picks up the book thinking it could be the next one, checks the back and goes, "BUT ROY DIED?"

You can imagine why this would be a problem.

Ridureyu
2009-10-26, 08:42 PM

I first misread that as "Ten pages of author commentary about the more outlandish fan theories," and got all excited.

Denkyr
2009-10-26, 08:44 PM
I first misread that as "Ten pages of author commentary about the more outlandish fan theories," and got all excited.

That would be interesting!

Well, more interesting. The author's commentaries are still quite good.

Jagos
2009-10-26, 08:51 PM
Think Rich might comment on moral justification? ;)

Trai
2009-10-26, 08:55 PM
Think Rich might comment on moral justification? ;)

Motion to ban Jagos to a far corner of the Playground for the suggestion?

:wink:

Jagos
2009-10-26, 09:37 PM
*whistles innocently*

FujinAkari
2009-10-26, 10:27 PM
This is clearly a Allusion to Piracy (http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Stop-Party-Complete-Tropical/dp/1877833568#reader_1877833568) :P

(Yes, its a joke, you don't need to link me ;))

beknirvana
2009-10-26, 10:34 PM
Not sure if this had any impact on the title of the book, but for the longest time the tagline of the new edition of D&D was "Never Split the Party." It has been conventional wisdom for a lone time, but WotC has been bringing that line to forefront since last Summer. And Giant is aware of the new edition of D&D, he has made a handful of references to it in the comic.

Outlandish fan theory away!

The Giant
2009-10-26, 11:05 PM
Do non-OOTS products from Ookoodook count towards the $50 goal? I'm despairing because DStP + a scratch & dent DCF is just $1.10 short of $50, before shipping.

Yes, they do. In fact, as long as one product is OOTS, the rest can be whatever you want.

FredGuy
2009-10-26, 11:59 PM
I am happy to see the new book came out today---I have already pre-ordered a couple of copies: one for myself, and one for a Christmas present. I am embarrassed to say I watched the ook site all day hoping to see the post. I am gratified to see that the announcement of the book included some text for people like me who only order the books: "(Hey, some people only read the comic in book form, I don't want to spoil it for them.)". That's me!

I am curious how many others like me read the book only, but I don't know the right way to "ask for a survey" without being a nuisance to others. Is there an approved way on the Forums to take a poll like this? I don't want to annoy others or break any forum rules. It's not a big deal: This is really just idle curiousity. ;)

Gooday,

Richie

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-27, 12:29 AM
272 pages on the nose. GO ME!!! :smallcool::smallcool: :smallbiggrin:
While part of my mind boggles at why you went to so much trouble to keep track of that information, that IS quite impressive.

Ichneumon
2009-10-27, 01:08 AM
It's not exactly the same, but still (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/neversplittheparty/index.asp).

NerfTW
2009-10-27, 01:09 AM
I'd think a thread saying "Who here only reads the books and not the online comic, and why?" would be okay.

It's not like you're going to get insta banned for starting a thread. The mods aren't *reference to historical political group removed*, they'll just say "No, don't make threads like this" if they don't want you to. But threads the only have a "yes" or "no" answer are discouraged, so adding the "why" part encourages discussion instead of a simple poll. (Which are frowned upon.)

Enlong
2009-10-27, 01:13 AM
Aha! I knew it! I knew that V was going to be on the cover of the book! I love it when I recognize a likely obvious pattern.

rainbowjo
2009-10-27, 01:15 AM
Yup, basicly, its D&D rule number 1.

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-27, 01:20 AM
I'd think a thread saying "Who here only reads the books and not the online comic, and why?" would be okay.

It's not like you're going to get insta banned for starting a thread. The mods aren't *reference to historical political group removed*, they'll just say "No, don't make threads like this" if they don't want you to. But threads the only have a "yes" or "no" answer are discouraged, so adding the "why" part encourages discussion instead of a simple poll. (Which are frowned upon.)
In addition to this, if you wanted to keep the poll element in there you could do as the creator of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128568) did, and keep track of all the answers by repeatedly editing your first post to include them as each person replies.

(That said, I'd be surprised if there are many people who use these forums regularly that don't read the online comic - I'd expect most books-only types would rarely visit the website at all. These days it's pretty hard to avoid reading spoilers for the prequel-books here, let alone the online material.)

Hann
2009-10-27, 01:20 AM
I gotta say, I did not see V as the cover of the book. I like how, like Electric Orb, the cover image breaks down barriers.

Who else wants to place bets that Berserk Monk will claim that the next book is going to be called V for Vaarsuvius?

Enlong
2009-10-27, 01:26 AM
I gotta say, I did not see V as the cover of the book. I like how, like Electric Orb, the cover image breaks down barriers.

Who else wants to place bets that Berserk Monk will claim that the next book is going to be called V for Vaarsuvius?

Well, it seems pretty obvious to me. Every book so far has had the cover character being the character for whom the portion of the story is mainly their personal journey.
The plot of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (such as it was) mainly focused on the Linear Guild, and thus, Elan.
No Cure focused on Roy, his relation with Miko, and his maturing, if only a little bit.
WaXPs focused on Haley's neuroses, and her finally opening up to Elan, so she made the cover.

And in the prequels;
On the Origin of PCs was mainly Durkon's story, as he met Roy, and went from being the surly, angry, world-weary dwarf he was when he met Roy, to who he is today.
and Start of Darkness is pretty indisputably Redcloak's story.

So that left Belkar or V for the cover of this book, and I think we can agree that the split eventually became overwhelmingly V's story.

I think Belkar'll be on Book 5, since the story is moving ahead to his imminent death pretty soon now.

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-27, 01:30 AM
I find that entirely likely. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7198576#post78)

Hann
2009-10-27, 01:56 AM
I see what you did there...

I was thinking it was Belkar up till that last storyline, and even then I thought it up in the air, due to Belkar's acting lessons. He'll probably change more as his death approaches though.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-27, 02:40 AM
Here's my favourite bit from the Promo:

"Ten pages of author commentary which will be horribly misquoted to support the more outlandish fan theories." :smallbiggrin:

Moogleking
2009-10-27, 03:56 AM

Ah, Giant you so crazy :smalltongue:

Jan Mattys
2009-10-27, 04:34 AM
Gosh, I'll order tonight the whole "canon" 4 books (I already have SoD and OoPCs)

But hell, it's a whopping 54$ for the shipping to Italy...

Shipping costs make me a VERY sad panda. :smallmad:

Tass
2009-10-27, 05:00 AM
Hey Berserk Monk! How did you hack the title of the thread? :smallannoyed:

Asta Kask
2009-10-27, 05:24 AM

Make that RPG rule number 1. Number 0 is, of course "all rules subject to GM interpretation."

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-27, 06:52 AM
Rule #2 is, if you need to split the party, see Rule #1.

Kaed
2009-10-27, 06:53 AM
Ha!

... People had to actually ask if Miko was going to be returning to the strip again? The grand finale of her life and extended discussion with Soon about it wasn't enough clues for them? <.< That would be... so pointless.

The only way I can see Miko ever even appearing again is in a short cutaway gag of her being grumpy in the afterlife or something. ("What!? Suggesting that evildoers can be redeemed!? Clearly this archon must be in league with dark forces!")

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-27, 07:13 AM
... People had to actually ask if Miko was going to be returning to the strip again? The grand finale of her life and extended discussion with Soon about it wasn't enough clues for them? <.< That would be... so pointless.

The only way I can see Miko ever even appearing again is in a short cutaway gag of her being grumpy in the afterlife or something. ("What!? Suggesting that evildoers can be redeemed!? Clearly this archon must be in league with dark forces!")

and Windstriker agrees with the evil archon? Nooooo!

Jokasti
2009-10-27, 10:26 AM
New book's up.

Loxagn
2009-10-27, 10:57 AM
D.B.U.T.T.!

Don't Break Up The Team! Carlson and Peeters, chapter 12.

Sorry, that joke had to be made.

On topic, hooray new book.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 11:23 AM
Hey Berserk Monk! How did you hack the title of the thread? :smallannoyed:

I didn't. I'm as surprised as you. Glad to see someone acknowledges the books true name.

Trixie
2009-10-27, 01:46 PM

Really.

Shipping three books to EU costs 39$ :smallmad:

Almost the same as sending them to Afghanistan, country twice as far.

Someone really doesn't want customers here.

Anyone from Central Europe willing to bundle orders to halve the shipping? :smallsigh:

Edit - if I remove DStP from the basket, shipping magically more than halves - and more shipping options show. Can someone fix this so that only one box is sent, instead of two, if the costs are the case of two shipping rates combined? :smallsigh:

The Giant
2009-10-27, 02:00 PM
The book weighs a lot. It's about two pounds apiece. Certain overseas shipping options, as I understand it, are only available for packages of 4 pounds or less (that's the US Post Office's rule, not ours). Therefore, sticking them all in one box may only RAISE your shipping costs rather than splitting them into two much-cheaper boxes.

However, I am not the final word on shipping, for that you should contact [email protected]. But I'm pretty sure he's using the post office's rates pretty closely. The books are just really heavy and postage rates have gone up like twice since last year.

Cleverdan22
2009-10-27, 02:02 PM
The cover looks great, and I can't wait to get it. Honestly, the books I have right now have been so dog-eared that this price seems reasonable to me.

Big Hungry Joe
2009-10-27, 02:30 PM

Sweet. I threw a War and XPs scratch-n-dent into my preorder on a lark, and it's already paying off. This is the happiest day of my life.

And speaking of preorder gifts, has anyone gotten around to crafting a white tentacled monster beanbag chair yet? The monster name escapes me, but not the need to land somewhere soft after a long day's work.

Trai
2009-10-27, 02:37 PM
And speaking of preorder gifts, has anyone gotten around to crafting a white tentacled monster beanbag chair yet? The monster name escapes me, but not the need to land somewhere soft after a long day's work.

That would be pretty awesome. Not sure if my roommates would feel the same, but... :smallwink:

Lissou
2009-10-27, 03:02 PM

You're a genius!
I need a beanbag for the library (we had a walk-in closet in our place but we just don't have that much stuff so it's a library now), that would be absolutely perfect for it.

... Now I just need someone to create a pattern for me... (If that's legal?)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-27, 03:31 PM

Flumph. Sometimes there's not more to say than something that doesn't take 10 characters to say. In that case, the need for the 10 characters in a post is annoying, and filler, such as this must be created.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 03:35 PM

No. Rule number one is always loot the body.

Meg
2009-10-27, 03:57 PM
I thought rule #0 was "Don't give the GM ideas."

Hann
2009-10-27, 11:19 PM
No. Rule number one is always loot the body.

I actually agree with him on this one. Feels weird.

Olorin Maia
2009-10-28, 10:12 AM
A Tale of 2 Parties was good, but how the heck would you fit it on a book?

The title "A Tale of Two Parties" actually has the same amount of characters (like letters, not like Roy) as "Don't Split the Party".

*nitpick: okay, counting spaces its a little higher. but still.

The Giant
2009-10-28, 08:22 PM
Funny thing: "A Tale of Two Parties" was on my list of possible titles, but I felt like I had gone to the "pun on classic literature" well a few too many times. Three out of five books was starting to be a pattern. Better to reference something else, like conventional D&D wisdom.

Silverraptor
2009-10-28, 10:58 PM
Wow. It's always interesting to hear what choices influence events.:smallsmile:

TerrickTerran
2009-10-29, 06:36 AM
Yeah the book puns are nice, but I like that this was a bit different and tackled DND. It makes for a nice change.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-29, 06:41 AM
Funny thing: "A Tale of Two Parties" was on my list of possible titles, but I felt like I had gone to the "pun on classic literature" well a few too many times. Three out of five books was starting to be a pattern. Better to reference something else, like conventional D&D wisdom.

Well, this puts a lid on people looking for a pun in "Dungeon Crawling Fools", then.

Grey Watcher
2009-10-29, 06:51 AM
Well, this puts a lid on people looking for a pun in "Dungeon Crawling Fools", then.

Well, it would, but on this forum, Word of God doesn't quite count for as much as it should. :biggrin:

Hurkyl
2009-10-29, 07:10 AM
I suppose it's for the best. I think both On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness both work very well as good titles on their own merit, which is probably the biggest reason why the fact they're also puns is so impressive.

A Tale of Two Parties, however, is too obviously a pun, which takes away from the effect. Actually, by this point in time, it's more of a cliché than a pun.

Maelstrom
2009-10-29, 08:03 AM
wow, UPS/FedEx *used* to be the way to get stuff overseas at a reasonable cost... Not any more... USPS wants US$40 to ship over here...FedEx/UPS want around US$140... what exactly are they smoking???

I think I'll have it shipped over to a friends house in CA and pick it up on my next visit...

I guess this is a downside of being an Ex-Pat

mhensley
2009-11-03, 12:26 PM
Will this be sold at Amazon before Christmas?

Asis
2009-11-03, 01:20 PM
Sorry to bother but I have a question... and I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

I ordered all OOTS book on one big order (roughly, $180) including DStP. Now, will I receive the shipment on two parts, or all togheter at the release book date?
I'm pretty sure that's the second case, but I wanna make sure. -Justin Case.

Dark Faun
2009-11-03, 01:24 PM
It has already been answered in this very thread, actually.

They will be shipped at the same time. If you need SOD earlier for some reason, place two separate orders.

The Glyphstone
2009-11-07, 05:23 PM
Easier to post in this while it's still on page 1 than start a new thread:

Has the pre-order bonus gift been announced yet?

Moogleking
2009-11-08, 10:40 AM
Are there ever going to be more reasonable delivery rates to Europe? I'm interested in the prequel books and feel its only fair to order from Ookoodook; yet the delivery fees are practically the same as those of the book.

Allan Surgite
2009-11-08, 11:11 AM
Are there ever going to be more reasonable delivery rates to Europe? I'm interested in the prequel books and feel its only fair to order from Ookoodook; yet the delivery fees are practically the same as those of the book.
To be quite honest, I believe it would simply be best to save up for all of them and buy them all at the same time.

But I'm not an expert on these matters, however.

Ancalagon
2009-11-08, 11:16 AM
If you are from Euroland, the fees (book-price) become rather reasonable (30 euro for both prequel books + shipping seems ok; even with halved shipping, that still would be 25 Euro... which is basically the same as 30 ;)).

If you are not from euro-land I can understand it's a bit steep.

Jayus
2009-11-11, 07:23 AM
Well, it would, but on this forum, Word of God doesn't quite count for as much as it should. :biggrin:

Two PCs were arguing with one another over a certain bit of law/RAW. The cleric said, "If I'm right, let the trees agree." Just then, all the trees bent towards him, as though they were bowing.

The wizard said, "If I'm right, let the waters agree." As the words escaped her lips, the river's flow changed direction.

The cleric said, "If I'm right, may the sun agree." The sun shone brightly, illuminating the cleric.

The wizard said, "If I'm right, may the gods agree." A chorus of voices broke through from the heavens, the ground below, and from all around. "Listen to the wizard. She is correct."

The cleric replied, "We're trying to have a conversation here! If I'm right..."

The gods cried tears of laughter and joy: "Our children have defeated Us!"

mrbrownesquire
2009-11-11, 06:00 PM
I am going to be in the US till the begining of December, will the book be shipped by then, or should I just get it posted to the UK?

APEGames Help
2009-11-12, 11:33 PM
I am going to be in the US till the begining of December, will the book be shipped by then, or should I just get it posted to the UK?

I wish I could answer with certainty whether the book will ship in time to reach you in the US, but I really don't know with absolute certainty, and I would hate to tell you one way or the other and be wrong.

If you want, email me and I can offer some ideas on the best way to approach your order.

APEGames Help
2009-11-12, 11:47 PM

I know, and trust me I WISH there were something I could do. It pains me to see how expensive shipping costs are to non-US destinations.

We re-evaluate FedEx from time to time, but they are just too expensive for our international customers. So USPS remains our best option at this point.

As Kevin mentioned on our site, some customers will see a refund when preorders are processed for shipping if they ordered early and were charged postage based on weight rather than the flat rate option. We are trying to ship orders via Flat Rate whenever possible (different products might prevent that) and MOST orders to international destinations are now $45 or less.

If you have ANY questions please email me at the address in my signature.

See ookoodook.com for this announcement:
Shipping Price Reduction: We've gotten complaints that shipping costs for international orders were too high. We heard you and reduced the prices for shipping in our store. Now Canadian customers won't pay more than $26, nor other international customers more than $45. Customers that have already placed orders will be refunded the difference when their order ships.

Fawkes
2009-12-03, 10:52 AM
So, uh, I hate to be 'that guy', but it's into December and there's still no notice that the books have shipped. Was the release delayed? For how long?

Bad Example
2009-12-03, 01:02 PM
Look at the bottom of the store's front page here (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/index.shtml).

In short, the books are not back from the printer yet, and they will announce when they are.

DarkElfGangsta
2009-12-03, 01:36 PM
unless I fly somewhere else, I don't think the books will even be on my continent any time soon. :(

Fawkes
2009-12-03, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the shipping address for an order?

APEGames Help
2009-12-03, 10:47 PM
Fawkes, if you need to make a change to your address, please contact me directly via email at [email protected] and I will take care of it.

To all customers ordering on Ookoodook.com:
Every order placed at Ookoodook.com will have a shipment confirmation email sent to the email address provided shortly before we ship the DStP book orders. Please check the shipping address when you read this email, and let me know if there is any problem with the shipping address information so corrections can be made prior to mailing.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-04, 12:38 AM
unless I fly somewhere else, I don't think the books will even be on my continent any time soon. :(

What, North America? I thought that was where the books are MADE.
Sorry, I try not to be rude, but I'm tired.

Here are your options in the Dominican Republic:
From http://www.ookoodook.com/store/ShippingQuestions.shtml
Q: Do you ship to <insert your country name here>?
A: Almost certainly; we ship world-wide. The best way to determine if we ship to your country is to add the products you want to your shopping cart and begin checkout. If you're able to enter your address, then we'll ship to you.

International Priority Flat Rate Envelope 13.95

factotum
2009-12-04, 03:02 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the shipping address for an order?

They were certainly happy enough to change the shipping address for me when I got made redundant a couple of years ago and therefore didn't think it would be useful for the book to be delivered to my ex place of employment. Don't see why they'd have a problem changing yours now.

The Giant
2009-12-04, 08:51 PM
I may post this somewhere else too, but just to let you guys know the latest:

The books are at the bindery right now; they will be shipping from the printer to Ookoodook and my distributor on the 7th. Ookoodook should be able to start fulfilling orders on the 10th, if no other problems crop up.

The reason the books didn't make the "late November" deadline is basically because of Thanksgiving; it turns out I didn't take into account that the printer would be closed from Wednesday all the way to the following Monday when I announced the shipping date. Or, more to the point, I didn't take into account that when the printer told me that they could be open those days, they were basically saying that they could be open, IF I paid for overtime for everyone who was working. Overtime that I couldn't afford. So, nothing happened for five days right in middle of production.

Apologies to everyone who has pre-ordered, though I believe Ookoodook will still be able to get 99% of shipments out in time for Christmas.

Fawkes
2009-12-04, 08:58 PM
Apologies to everyone who has pre-ordered, though I believe Ookoodook will still be able to get 99% of shipments out in time for Christmas.

Thanks for the update. :smallsmile:

silversaraph
2009-12-06, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately, not for chanukah then. :smallfrown:

Stabbey
2009-12-09, 11:05 AM
I may post this somewhere else too, but just to let you guys know the latest:

The books are at the bindery right now; they will be shipping from the printer to Ookoodook and my distributor on the 7th. Ookoodook should be able to start fulfilling orders on the 10th, if no other problems crop up.

Is there any news on another printing of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools? The Ookoodook store seems to be out (out of "Scratch and Dent" as well.)

silversaraph
2009-12-09, 07:19 PM
Yeah, dungeon crawling fools was the only oots item I was missing, and that would have gotten me to the $50 mark. And no Hanukkah delivery. I am now sad. See? (:smallfrown:)

Edit: I was just checking my Gmail, specifically a thread notifier for here and I got an apegames ad on the top of the page. If you click on it, you just get an error. If you bought a certain amount of advertising with google, shouldn't it have switched to ookoodook?

Asis
2009-12-09, 11:02 PM
We heard you and reduced the prices for shipping in our store. Now Canadian customers won't pay more than $26, nor other international customers more than $45.
My order's shipping price was EXACTLY $44. Talk about bad luck...
Oh well, 's my fault I guess, for living in the... backside of the world.

That said, I received the confirmation mail today. Can't wait to finally have the whole collection in my hands!

The Giant
2009-12-10, 08:33 AM
OK, there definitely will be a more formal announcement than this, but I wanted to let you guys know that the books arrived at Ookoodook yesterday, and Kevin tells me he's already packed up about 500 orders. Everyone, check your email for confirmation of shipping notices over the next day or two.

Is there any news on another printing of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools? The Ookoodook store seems to be out (out of "Scratch and Dent" as well.)

It is first on a lengthy list of reprints needed for 2010. With luck (and strong holiday sales), expect to see it back in the store by the end of January. With less luck, the end of April.

hermit666
2009-12-10, 09:27 AM
can i order the book from somewhere else? not that i don't want to order from Ookoodook.com, but it seem i have trouble ordering.

i emailed them, still waiting for a reply, but i want to see my options.

sam79
2009-12-10, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the update Giant, both the new comic and the book info.

jolus
2009-12-13, 01:31 PM
I am not sure whether anybody cares, but...
That pre-shipping mail was just a bit silly for me living in Germany.

I mean, I got the pre-shipment mail Thu night, 10:15 PM, and the actual shipping mail on Fri, 7:13 AM. That was exactly in the time frame I am not on line usually.

Luckily, my adress seems to be OK, and I can't wait to get the book :-)

Ancalagon
2009-12-13, 02:35 PM
Was the same for me (also germany). Even if it was wrong, I could not have corrected the address - and it surely were not 24 hours between the mails (even in america it would not have been 24 hours ;)).

mizzim
2009-12-13, 02:51 PM
for pre-orders, have they been shipped? (I'm waiting for one, but ordered it in my dad's email.

Ted The Bug
2009-12-13, 03:20 PM
Yes, I got my shipping email on Friday. If you preordered yours, my guess is that it's on its way.

whitehelm
2009-12-13, 08:00 PM
My book is in fact waiting at the post office to be delivered tomorrow.

Porthos
2009-12-14, 07:28 PM
Guess what I have lying right next to my computer right now. :smallcool: :smallcool: :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

EDIT:::

Still working my way through, but here are a few teasers:

A) Rich talks about whether or not V got Complete and Total Ultimate Arcane Power.

B) He specifies which member of the IFCC is which.

and

C) Hinjo and Lien share a... No. I can't. Not without spoiler bars at least. :smalltongue:

Also, the vast majority of the extra strips are the two "deleted scenes" which were mentioned earlier (Elan's Underwater Adventure and Get Roy).

More later. :smallsmile:

Doctor Xerox
2009-12-15, 12:32 AM
Awesome book Rich, I got it this afternoon and barely stopped reading til now.

A hilarious recap by Belkar and great bonus strips, I loved reading all of the chapter commentaries (which has now become the reason I am most excited to spend my money on each book), and I even blinked back a few tears during your dedication :).

I don't really care if you read this or not, but I appreciate your genius sir.

Porthos
2009-12-15, 12:37 AM
great bonus strips

Completely agreed.

Now that I've finished it as well, I do wonder if people will reassess...

... the infamous Haley kills Crystal scene in light of what happened in "Get Roy".

Especially when taking Rich's commentary into account.

One can only hope at least. :smallsmile:

ella ventic
2009-12-15, 12:38 AM
Not to mention the bit before comic 623 where Rich forgets to use the "his/her" construction and says

...it wasn't enough for V to simply gain power and save his family...

Let the completely misguided speculation begin! Or rather, let the completely misguided speculation continue much as it has been doing since the earliest days of the comic and as it will most certainly still do even if the question is once and for all decisively and incontrovertibly resolved in-comic by the Giant himself with no possible way it can be misinterpreted!

Porthos
2009-12-15, 01:34 AM
I just remembered something important. I know quite a few people were interested to see if there were any bonus strips that might involve the Celestial Deva's interview with Roy. And/or what Rich's commentary had to say about Roy's Interview with a Deva. More specifically why wasn't Roy's treatment of Miko brought up at any point in the online strips.

So for those people who want to know, here you go. :smallsmile: Don't Split the Party says...

absolutely nothing at all about Roy's treatment of Miko. In fact, not only are there no bonus strips devoted to the Interview, the commentary doesn't mention it.

At. All.

And considering that Rich tackles plenty of topics, up to and including genocide, I think it's safe to say that Rich just didn't think it was all that worthy of comment. :smalltongue:

And now you know. :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2009-12-15, 06:03 AM
I'm wondering what Rich had to say about V and Kubota, or Familicide.

Will have to wait and see.

Porthos
2009-12-15, 01:44 PM
I'm wondering what Rich had to say about V and Kubota, or Familicide.

Will have to wait and see.

I can give you a teaser, if you wish. :smallwink:

Interestingly enuf, he focuses more on Elan's reactions when it comes to the V/Kubota confrontation. Rich puts a twist on the scene that I hadn't quite considered, but should have in retrospect.

As for Familicide.... Oh, yes. Rich has something to say about that. And a priceless comment to boot. Let's just say he uses the "G Word (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide)" when it comes to discussing Familicide and leave it at that. :smallwink:

Well, he also implies that the fall-out from the actions that V took while being spliced isn't exactly over. What that exactly means is anyones guess.

However, as I alluded to in a previous post, I think the largest discussion will be (or at least should be) over Haley's actions in regards to Crystal. The book almost (and I do mean "almost" :smalltongue:) makes me want to see if that threat is still bumpable or not, in light of certain.... developments... in DStP. :smallamused:

EDIT::::

Oh yeah, one other thing.

A comment that has the potential to be used in lots and lots of arguments...

(right after talking about how the SG <and by extension the Twelve Gods> had paid for their various sins with the sacking of Azure City)

"But it was important to show that for all of their misguided excesses, the Azurites were still the Good Guys. O-Chul is the living symbol of everything right about the Sapphire Guard."

He goes on to talk about the importance of O-Chul to the story in specific and in general terms.

So people looking for utter and total condemnation forever and ever of the SG are going to be slightly disappointed.

As will the people who are looking for complete and total vindication of the SG, come to think of it. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-12-15, 03:27 PM
Sounds like there's a lot of interesting things in the book.

When I get a copy, I suspect I will enjoy it. Though, even if the bonus strips make Haley's decision appear right and just, it's not like we had access to them at the time.

Fawkes
2009-12-15, 03:31 PM
Oh man, the book's probably waiting for me at home. Maybe I shouldn't have switched the shipping address. :smalltongue:

Porthos
2009-12-15, 03:41 PM
Sounds like there's a lot of interesting things in the book.

When I get a copy, I suspect I will enjoy it. Though, even if the bonus strips make Haley's decision appear right and just, it's not like we had access to them at the time.

Well, "right and just" might be pushing it. :smallwink: But, yes, your last point stands.

Interestingly enough, Rich comments that it was due to pacing issues (he didn't want to distract from the goings on with Super V by having a cutaway scene) that he didn't put the series of strips online at the time, even though they had already been composed. It was only when he got to the point where Haley had her fateful encounter with Crystal that he realized that some of the background issues weren't going to be apprarent to the audience at large.

But, as Rich says, lucky for him that he can include them in the book and let readers judge everything as he had originally intended. :smallwink:

silversaraph
2009-12-16, 07:39 PM
528, Roy talking to himself changes "I wish I could look back on the archive" to Damn it, I wish I could look back on the previous three books.

Whats funny is that I only notice these things because I've memorized the online comic word for word. Even the things I've only read once, like every comic in this book. :smallbiggrin:

Hann
2009-12-16, 08:25 PM
I got my book today! I'm reading all of the new material, regardless of my looming finals.

I gotta say, Elan's underwater adventure was my personal favorite of the new material. Nods to both Aquaman and Namor, and even some foreshadowing about the ABG!

The Christmas cards are great too! I just can't bring myself to send them!

Katana_Geldar
2009-12-17, 07:54 AM
The gaming shops here don't have the book yet, which is understandable, not sure when it is arriving, which is also understandable, but they also had no idea that the book had been finished until I told them.

At least I got some new dice. :smallsigh:

Kroy
2009-12-17, 09:27 PM
I got mine in the mail yesterday. It's awesome! It shows why Haley's assassination of Crystal was very much not evil. You all should go out and get it!

Fawkes
2009-12-19, 12:35 AM
Just got home from college to find the book waiting on the kitchen table for me. :smallsmile:

Regarding Elan's underwater adventure, do we have any indication what Lien's secondary objective was? That whole bit confused me.

Porthos
2009-12-19, 12:39 AM
Just got home from college to find the book waiting on the kitchen table for me. :smallsmile:

Regarding Elan's underwater adventure, do we have any indication what Lien's secondary objective was? That whole bit confused me.

They were trying to intice Therkla to do something with Elan.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-12-19, 01:11 AM
Regarding the joke foreshadowing in the last commentary...

I wonder if Burlew will make it so that no one is shown drinking a beverage, as a joke.:smalltongue:

Fawkes
2009-12-19, 01:21 AM
They were trying to intice Therkla to do something with Elan.

Oh, that makes sense. Is there a strong clue I missed, or did I just fail to read between the lines?

Also, I'm assuming the "bigger sea monster" was supposed to be the Ancient Black Dragon, but it doesn't really look anything like her. It looks like the head of some Lovedraftian horror.

Porthos
2009-12-19, 01:37 AM
Oh, that makes sense. Is there a strong clue I missed, or did I just fail to read between the lines?

I think one is mostly supposed to read between the lines. I suppose the strongest clue would be the whole "we absoluelty need Elan, and only Elan, for this mission" stuff. The only thing that the SG would really care about in regards to Elan is Therkla. Esp considering that the last time we saw Lien, she was telling Hinjo about her suspicions about Therkla (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0563.html). Well "off-screen" at least. :smallwink:

Also, I'm assuming the "bigger sea monster" was supposed to be the Ancient Black Dragon,

Got it in one. :smallsmile: This was explicitly mentioned/alluded to in commentary.

but it doesn't really look anything like her. It looks like the head of some Lovedraftian horror.

That's because we are seeing her shadow (I presume that she is above the water line at the time) refracted through (dirty?) water. If you look closely, and allow for shimmering due to refraction, you can make out her head and tail, with the rest being part of her body.

At least that's what I presume Rich was going for in that shot.

Hann
2009-12-19, 01:58 AM
Yeah, if you look at the far left part of the shadow, you can tell it's her wing, cause it's purple and all wingy.

The page before that though, I had to re-read it before I got the Little Mermaid reference.

Fawkes
2009-12-19, 02:02 AM
I think one is mostly supposed to read between the lines. I suppose the strongest clue would be the whole "we absoluelty need Elan, and only Elan, for this mission" stuff. The only thing that the SG would really care about in regards to Elan is Therkla. Esp considering that the last time we saw Lien, she was telling Hinjo about her suspicions about Therkla (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0563.html). Well "off-screen" at least. :smallwink:

Oh, I forgot that Lien had heard Therkla gush about Elan. That's what I get for skipping straight to the commentary and bonus strips. :smalltongue:

Got it in one. :smallsmile: This was explicitly mentioned/alluded to in commentary.

I'm not sure the phrase "foreshadowing of a villain's later appearance" counts as an "explicit mention", but yeah.

That's because we are seeing her shadow (I presume that she is above the water line at the time) refracted through (dirty?) water. If you look closely, and allow for shimmering due to refraction, you can make out her head and tail, with the rest being part of her body.

At least that's what I presume Rich was going for in that shot.

Yeah, I can make out a wing, and a head and tail (but I can't tell which of the latter two is supposed to be which). The problem is, Lien says it looks like its swimming toward them, but there's no way the dragon could swim to them and while positioned like that. Unless... can dragons swim sideways?

TheBST
2009-12-19, 09:13 AM
Got it today. Great stuff.

Also pretty disturbing.

According to the characters diagram, V's theory that Belkar wants to 'Shtup' him/her (#335) is now official.

YOU WIN AGAIN, NIGHTMARE SHIPPING.

Or Rich is ****ing with us.

SPoD
2009-12-19, 09:44 AM
These may both deserve their own threads, but in my mind, Haley has been cleared of any wrongdoing in Crystal's death:

Crystal was actively threatening to kill her, truce or no truce, and had already tried to do so several times. Haley's tactics in the killing may have been sneaky and underhanded, but it was essentially a pre-emptive strike against a dangerous foe rather than just out-and-out murder.

Also, did anyone notice the bonus strip where we flashback to Sangwaan...

saying that Belkar would save Hinjo's life twice? To my knowledge, he has only saved his life once so far, when he beheaded the guy who was going to shoot him with the poisoned arrow.

Joerg
2009-12-19, 11:08 AM

saying that Belkar would save Hinjo's life twice? To my knowledge, he has only saved his life once so far, when he beheaded the guy who was going to shoot him with the poisoned arrow.

The second time may have been here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html).

Fawkes
2009-12-19, 02:10 PM
These may both deserve their own threads, but in my mind, Haley has been cleared of any wrongdoing in Crystal's death:

Crystal was actively threatening to kill her, truce or no truce, and had already tried to do so several times. Haley's tactics in the killing may have been sneaky and underhanded, but it was essentially a pre-emptive strike against a dangerous foe rather than just out-and-out murder.

Yeah, I would classify the murder as 'dark', but not evil.

Fitzclowningham
2009-12-19, 06:09 PM

The Giant specifically states this in the commentary,

saying that he felt that the way the strip appeared online made Haley look too "cold-blooded", and that the bonus strips in the book would help him rectify that.

DBJack
2009-12-20, 01:30 AM

Still, I don't think we're done with the Azurites yet. Maybe Belkar is killed saving Hinjo :smalltongue: when the plot eventually gets back to Kato and Diago and Hinjo. Diago's name still needs to be resolved, as does the fate of their child. Hinjo is also waiting to hear from O-Chul and Lien. Don't count them out yet.

The Anti Hero
2009-12-20, 03:10 AM
Still, I don't think we're done with the Azurites yet.

We're definetely not done with the Azurites yet.

I've been away so long I've forgotten how to do the spoiler tags, so this is my quick warning to those of you who haven't read the book yet: I am going to discussing author commentary and general spoilers.

In the commentary, Rich mentioned that O-Chul still has a "major part" left to play in the story. My guess is that he's not quite done building on MITD's character development yet. Also, there's also a prophecy of sorts that predicts that Belkar saves Hinjo's life on two different occasions. I only see him doing that once so far (I don't think the Eye of Fear and Flame fireball on the archers counts: the prediction explicitly says Hinjo, while that attempt aided the whole party. What more, we don't know for sure if that counted as a save because the arrows may not have actually been able to do enough damage to knock Hinjo into negative HP). So this also seems to imply that we haven't quite seen the last of the SG.

Lissou
2009-12-23, 12:32 AM
So, I was wondering, to people who received their books, how long did it take and where do you live?

Mine was shipped on the 11th, and I live in Southern, kinda-western Canada. I'm trying to figure out how long I can expect to wait before I get it. Do you think I might get it before the end of the year?

Porthos
2009-12-23, 12:38 AM
So, I was wondering, to people who received their books, how long did it take and where do you live?

Mine was shipped on the 11th, and I live in Southern, kinda-western Canada. I'm trying to figure out how long I can expect to wait before I get it. Do you think I might get it before the end of the year?

I got mine two/three days after it was released (shipped on Fri/Sat Night, received Monday Morning), but I was very very lucky. However, you're deaing with customs and borders and whatnot (never mind the holidays), so who knows? I know that when I received stuff from the UK in the past it would take 10-20 days for it to reach me.

Still, I don't think the US/Canada situation is too bad. I would think that you should get it by the end of the year. Maybe some other Canucks can chime in with their cross-border postal experiences.

Stabbey
2009-12-23, 06:04 PM

Eastern Ontario here. My order was shipped on the 11th and I received it on the 22nd (a pleasant surprise, I was expecting it no earlier than the 24th, probably even the week after).

Lissou
2009-12-24, 08:53 AM
Eastern Ontario here. My order was shipped on the 11th and I received it on the 22nd (a pleasant surprise, I was expecting it no earlier than the 24th, probably even the week after).

Considering we're entering major holidays, I'm not going to expect anything for a little while as the postal service won't be active. But I guess I might get the book before the end of the year, which would be neat :)

Lissou
2009-12-30, 07:21 PM
It arrived today!
And before the end of the year, too :)

I thought I should let you know since I talked about not getting it. Now if you don't mind I'm off to read it. (The cards are funny).

factotum
2009-12-31, 02:34 AM
Still haven't got mine... :smallfrown:

Unkillable_Cat
2009-12-31, 06:55 AM
Just logged in to report that my copy of "Don't Split the Party" was shipped on the 10th, arrived here in Iceland on the 28th and ended up in my arms on the 30th.

This is by far the best results of my OOTS-related orders since the beginning, which only goes to show that Ookoodook is a winner.

Keep going strong in the new year.

factotum
2010-01-04, 07:13 AM
Mine turned up this morning! W00t!!!

Lissou
2010-01-04, 10:49 AM
Mine turned up this morning! W00t!!!

Congrats :)

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-06, 09:57 PM
I have mine! Great stuff, though I think I like the commentary as the best bonus feature, particularly the first commentary on why the party was split up.

So into it I was that I tried to read it while walking down the street.

Kairamek
2010-01-09, 01:07 AM
I have mine! Great stuff, though I think I like the commentary as the best bonus feature, particularly the first commentary on why the party was split up.

Agreed on the commentary. I do so enjoy seein the WHY of a process. Such as needing to kill Roy to allow certain stories to be told that couldn't be done with his leading presence, and using Roy's Post Mordum Temporal Displacement Disorder to allow time to fly without the audiance knowing (and thus allow us to be caught completely off guard). A just plain good story device right there.

I did notice in the first online 'printing' that the party falls into disfunction, but the commentary explains how that happened, how it reflects the personalities of the characters, and how it lead to continued character development. (I can be a bit dense about such things and fail to discover them on my own).

Good to have it in print in general. The Belkster's return to action was all the more enjoyable in this faster paced form. Let me kick into Cinema Mode*, which made it more awesome.
*Cinema Mode is a method of imagination whereby the things I read are viewed with the Mind's Eye as if they were a movie on the silver screen. It's my favorite reading mode.:smallsmile:

Lissou
2010-01-09, 05:18 AM
I buy the compilation books mainly (almost solely) for the commentary. So yes, I was definitely very happy with DStP, since it has more commentary than the other books (and extremely interesting one, at that).
It's great having insight in how things were made, what was the idea behind them, etc.
And of course, the hinting at what's going to happen is always nice as well.

Dunesen
2010-01-09, 04:52 PM
A bit late to the party (please forgive me the pun), but I've actually written a review (http://lawfulgoodwonk.blogspot.com/2010/01/book-3-dont-split-party.html) of the book on my blog.

Short version: I loved it, but then again I love the strip. I mostly talk about V's arc and how their character growth ends up being intertwined with the larger story in a way that's pretty impressive to consider in hindsight.

(And yes, the title of the post is Book 3: Don't Split the Party, and yes, I know it's volume 4. But this is the third book I'm reviewing this year.)

ref
2010-01-21, 11:18 PM
Got it today, an amazing book with the deleted scenes and the other extras, and the awesome commentaries. Rich says he doesn't already know what to say, but the commentaries are always top notch.

Nail Not-Nale
2010-01-29, 04:48 PM
Picked my copy up at the local comic shop. Either they just got a shipment, or they ordered more than usual, cause they had more than a few, which is great.

Loved all the extras in the book, especially the commentaries. It's nice to know how much thought goes into plot, especially having to plan for something you want to introduce way down the road. I commend you on your organizational skills, Mr. Burlew.

Stabbey
2010-01-29, 05:29 PM
[Dungeon Crawlin' Fools] is first on a lengthy list of reprints needed for 2010. With luck (and strong holiday sales), expect to see it back in the store by the end of January. With less luck, the end of April.

Any word on that? Or is it going to be April?