PDA

View Full Version : (Probably) theoretical question about elvencraft bows

Gadora
2009-10-26, 03:32 PM
Races of the Wild states that:
a) An elvencraft longbow functions as a quarterstaff when wielded as a melee weapon.
2) Magical enhancements to an elvencraft bow only affect its use as a bow. Enhancements to the melee capabilities of the weapon must be added separately.

So my question is, can one enchant the bow to be an intelligent item, one end of the "quarterstaff" another, and the other end of the "quarterstaff" yet another?

What would you think of this as:
1) a player unto whom the DM gave this item?
b) a DM whose player tried to make this item?

cheezewizz2000
2009-10-26, 03:42 PM
If by that you mean putting 3 personalities in the bow, I would run that as a DM by having the three personalities rolling ego checks against one another so I only had to deal with one at a time. I think an inteligent item is hard to run well, and having 3 in the party, let alone on the same item, would be a nightmare. That said, I think I would allow the item to give itself "aid another" bonuses on the ego checks when all three personalities agree (or somthing similar to the longshot clan on this sites' gaming section).

As a player who recieved this item, I'm not sure what I'd think. It's very very flavourful and if it fits into the campaign, then more power to the DM who produced it.

Chrono22
2009-10-26, 03:47 PM
You could actually have a fourth intelligent item- if you enchanted the quarterstaff portion as a magical staff (as in, the kind with charges).
So, you could have three personalities on the staff (each of the weaponized heads and the staff itself) and one on the bow.

It would be lulzy if each of the intelligences were of contentious alignments.
Neutral good, neutral evil, lawful neutral, chaotic neutral.
You could call it Bow of Four Souls or something... the souls being comprised by an ancient hero (neutral good), an ancient king (lawful neutral), an ancient fiend (neutral evil), and an ancient poet (chaotic neutral).

Fhaolan
2009-10-26, 03:48 PM
It'd be easier to just declare an intelligent magic item to have a split personality issue than to go to that amount of effort.

Having an item with split personalities, however, is a fascinating idea.

Brendan
2009-10-27, 01:28 PM
Four souls trapped in a bow/quarterstaff for hundreds of years? that would mean lots of bickering, especially if they are different allignments. HUGE ego bonus. It might just stop being any help at all at that stage, as the LG soul might cheer you on for killing the orcs, while the NE soul would be making itself aim at your allies. It would be a nightmare. Also, with all of those powers, it could be gamebreaking.
However, it would be an awesome artifact if each helped and brought something else to the table. Like massive enhancements.