PDA

View Full Version : breaking the gamer stereotype..I spell that right?

incubus5075
2009-10-26, 03:41 PM
Growing up in the back woods of Florida I picked up playing RPGs with my brither and the only other kid my age within 15 miles. In high school I was a Jock-ish kind of guy, did weight lifting, swim team, and was also in a scremo band (no we weren't good, only played like a dozen venues total) and was overall a popular guy. Same with my brother. People would ask what are you doing this weekend and I'd reply without hesitation "playing some DnD" or "playing some Wod (actually vampire the masquerade at that time but w/e)"

They people would look at me and usually ask what is that or say isn't that a devil worshipping game?....I often got the you don't look like the DnD type....I guess that is true, I'm in the USAF, have a 6-pack, go to the gym 4-6 times a week, and love sports. But i love a good RPG, still play DnD and can talk 'nerd' with the best of them. SO how about everyone else? You break the DnD cliche? This isn't to start any kind of trouble just curious...

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-26, 03:46 PM
I had to ask my girlfriend for permission to try it for the first time ever and her response was to collapse into laughter.

Then she pointed at me and laughed for another minute.

Then she stopped, got back on the chair, and fell over laughing again.

Then she said okay.

I'm not sure if I'm in trouble or not. But it did result in an amazing bit of conversation: "Okay, wait, explain to me how you do the whole dice-rolling thing?"
"::my explanation of how rolling dice works in DnD and what effects it::"
"...I will stick to Pokemon."

I would have laughed, except that was my gameboy she was using...

I don't think this counts. I just wanted to tell that story.

Ozreth
2009-10-26, 03:53 PM
Ive been into "nerdy" stuff my entire life and a lot of people are surprised. I was friends with every single group of people in high school and still am now. I get out a lot, go to parties and social gatherings (although I dont drink or smoke) etc etc.

But with that being said I think that in this day and age the gamer stereotype is just that...a stereotype. Its becoming more and more acceptable for people to be into the things that we are into, thanks to harry potter and comic books movies.

Although to be honest I think your stereotypical gamer is way cooler than normal dudes like me haha.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-10-26, 03:53 PM
Why should breaking the stereotype matter? The willfully ignorant will continue to be so regardless of what is done, and those who care to understand can ask for clarity. My Cali gaming group consisted of all martial artists, most of which are outgoing black belts that function normally in society. The fact remains that there are a lot of anti-social weirdos within the tabletop ranks, and the rest of us get lumped in with them. C'est la vie, mon ami.

gdiddy
2009-10-26, 03:54 PM
Similar position. I work out, always active in team sports and martial arts. Did some amateur boxing and MMA. I wear polos, was in a frat in college. I have made the mistake in the past of hiding my gaming, though.

Growing up, though, would always play computer RPGs with my brothers and thought it normal.

When I went to my first gaming store, I want to say that I realized why some people bash gamers. To me it's a small part of my free time, but to some people, it's a lifestyle. I think that's the difference. I play RPGs, some people live in them.

When a group of friends I'd been hanging out with for years found out (by me telling them), some honestly wanted nothing to do with me after this.

"You? Really? I just never thought you'd be the type..."

"Meh. It's a fun way to spend an afternoon."

"Hm." *shrug*

Honestly, the people who stopped hanging out with me might have been put off by the fact that I kept something from them. However, I honesty think at times people define themselves by their friends, and having a "DnD" friend is too much social weight.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-26, 03:57 PM
Dude, being in the USAF and playing D&D *is* a steriotype. Deployment schedules are reputed to be a major factor in RPG sales.

USAF Reserve here, one of my current games consists solely of active and retired USAF folks. It's ludicrously common.

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 03:58 PM
Growing up in a military family and having picked up a lot of military friends, I've learned this: Nerds are really common in the armed forces.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-26, 04:02 PM
Our hobby is hardly nerdy anymore. Modern video games, as an extension of our games, have really made it quite mainstream. Things like Anime (which takes and gives heavily to modern card and electronic "RPGs"), action films and even fantasy books like the Harry Potter or Twilight series have really made it a more acceptable (or at least more easily relatable) hobby.

At least we aren't defending ourselves against a main-stream that thinks we are devil worshipers.

Besides, and this is probably because I go to an engineering school, most people I know who are my age have either played, want to play or thought about playing talbetop RPGs. Very rarily do I find anyone who outright goes "what the hell is that; it sounds creepy!" Occasionally I get "what is that?", but after a short bit of explanation, they get either interested or aloof; almost never belligerent.

Easiest way to explain what it is is "a social game where we make characters to overcome various challenges and puzzles thrown at us." If they ask about dice, just explain "we don't have the time to calculate everything from wind resistance to the weight of our swords, so we need dice for that random variable." If they ask if its a board game, just nod and go "yeah, but you get to create your own board almost anyway you want."

Dr Bwaa
2009-10-26, 04:02 PM
I had to ask my girlfriend for permission to try it for the first time ever and her response was to collapse into laughter.

Then she pointed at me and laughed for another minute.

Then she stopped, got back on the chair, and fell over laughing again.

Then she said okay.

Take this out of context for a minute. Then see who's laughing :smallamused:

stenver
2009-10-26, 04:03 PM
wow. No problems like that in my country. Just explain everyone what D&D is, tell them its funny, and sometimes when a great hangover is on us, try it out with those guys. Boom! new D&D players. Looks and position doesnt mean **** in my country. Everyone who wants, plays D&D its a fun thing to do while getting drunk or h***

And noone says a bad thing about it

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 04:03 PM
lordhenry has won the topic.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-26, 04:06 PM
Take this out of context for a minute. Then see who's laughing :smallamused:

Well now, I am. =)

Zaydos
2009-10-26, 04:13 PM
I've always kind of been the stereotype; homeschooled fantasy nerd; 130 lbs (now less college food :smallmad:). The only difference was possibly that I could take a hit (older brother) and had the endurance to run 20 miles through the mountains on a weekly basis. Even so of the people I'd ever played with we were mostly homeschooled, dorks.

Then I got to college and found out half the anime club plays D&D... which doesn't help the stereotype much since a large number of them are 28-30 some year olds that still come to a college anime club and associated board game club (which was called a Role-Playing Society).

On the other hand everyone joining last year played in my D&D campaign except one person who wanted WoD.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-26, 04:17 PM
wow. No problems like that in my country. Just explain everyone what D&D is, tell them its funny, and sometimes when a great hangover is on us, try it out with those guys. Boom! new D&D players. Looks and position doesnt mean **** in my country. Everyone who wants, plays D&D its a fun thing to do while getting drunk or h***

And noone says a bad thing about it

We had a scare in the 80s when some kids with non-gamer issues who also happened to be rather casual RPG gamers killed themselves in two or three separate accidents. People started accusing the game of promoting anti-social behavior (I know, its ridiculous) and as being some sort of satanic recruitment tool (since it used 'evil' words like demon or wizard and since the rules had options for playing evil characters). They were dismissed by the news quickly, who moved onto the next big thing. But a good portion of the radical religious population in the country never dropped the stereotypes.

Furthermore, our education system's middle-high school set-up is such that those who play sports bring more money into a school than those who get good grades and go on to make something of themselves. As a result, the sports 'clique' were given special treatments that caused them to feel superior to and justify isolating and mistreating the 'nerd clique(s)'.

And so words like "Dungeon Master" became synonymous with "forever-virgin-life-hating-sissy-pansy-cult-leader-suicidal-wimp."

To quote my driving instructor 7 years ago (yes, I'm about 23):

"Dungeons and Dragons!? Isn't that the game where you kill yourself!"

To which I replied:

"Yeah, but I'm really bad at it." (I don't think he got the joke; he was very old.)

It became a bad thing to be a nerd up until the late 80s and 90s when people like Bill Gates had enough money to have you shipped off to the arctic circle and shot by the president of a country you've actually heard of just as a favor.

Plus Dungeons and Dragons gets a bad rep for Wizard's (and others) poor attempts at making it mainstream. The TV show was stupid. The movies were utter crap. Most of the video games failed. The only things that really succeeded were neverwinter nights and magic the gathering (which has long since moved away from its roots for better or worse).

Finally, its hard to market Dungeons and Dragons and make a really good profit off of it. You can chrun out a random RPG or JRPG in half a year or so and make $20-$50 a unit. Once they complete the unit, they can only wait to get the next unit unless they want to replay the same thing again and again. Dungeons and Dragons has unlimited customability thanks to both its great fan community and the simple fact you aren't bound to the limitations of software. Books are much more expensive to produce (however cheaper to develop/write) than a video game. Each individual book costs more than a video game to print and ship. They even take more shelf space. Once you get into digital delivery, its even harder to compete. A digitally delivered video game is great--you don't lose anything except the ability to own a physical disk that can get scratched, destroyed, etc... Plus a computer is already necessary to play the game in the first place. A digital book lacks a lot of functionality of a paper-back book, especially the requirement of having a plug.

And thus its not mainstream and thus people are scared of it. And thus people who aren't scared of it are 'creepy'.

Eldan
2009-10-26, 04:24 PM
And so words like "Dungeon Master" became synonymous with "forever-virgin-life-hating-sissy-pansy-cult-leader-suicidal-wimp."

Hey! I'm not suicidal!
And my cult still isn't working.
Which is to say I totally fulfill that cliché.

Zaydos
2009-10-26, 04:24 PM
I actually had a friend whose mom made him stop playing for a year or two for this reason. Seeing as how he didn't have much (any?) social interaction outside of it this wasn't a good thing.

Indon
2009-10-26, 04:28 PM
Dude, being in the USAF and playing D&D *is* a steriotype. Deployment schedules are reputed to be a major factor in RPG sales.

USAF Reserve here, one of my current games consists solely of active and retired USAF folks. It's ludicrously common.

And not just in the AF, I've seen it among other branches as well.

Eldan
2009-10-26, 04:30 PM
I actually had a friend whose mom made him stop playing for a year or two for this reason. Seeing as how he didn't have much (any?) social interaction outside of it this wasn't a good thing.

The worst thing is I don't have much interaction outside either... I'm going to university, so are the rest of my old group. Just in different cities/countries.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-26, 04:30 PM
SO how about everyone else? You break the DnD cliche?

Nope. Unhealthy, pale, lack social life, somewhat unliked, "nerdy", acne face, never had a girlfriend and unlikely to have one in the future.

You know what?

Damn proud of it. :smallcool:

Eldan
2009-10-26, 04:32 PM
Really? I've tried to get healthier a few times in the past. It just never worked, due to my lazyness. And a girlfriend wouldn't be that unwelcome either, to be honest.

Blackfang108
2009-10-26, 04:32 PM

Yeah, that's something willfully ill-informed people forget. It's just talking. With the occasional die-roll.

Kinda like Monopoly. :smalleek: :smallannoyed::smallbiggrin:

I think I just got my next campaign idea.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-26, 04:34 PM
Really? I've tried to get healthier a few times in the past. It just never worked, due to my lazyness. And a girlfriend wouldn't be that unwelcome either, to be honest.

Eh, I'm not THAT unhealthy, and I'm only 15. It's not like the lack of a girlfriend'll kill me.

Zaydos
2009-10-26, 04:37 PM
The worst thing is I don't have much interaction outside either... I'm going to university, so are the rest of my old group. Just in different cities/countries.

That's what happened with my old group; thankfully I found a new one (an anime club). Till college I didn't have social interaction outside of D&D except one friend so I'm glad I found a new group.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-26, 04:38 PM
Lets not forget the stereotype that we'll talk about our characters endlessly. I hate that one. Seriously, If another person tells me gamers talk about their favorite stories too much I'll slap them in the throat. Heh. Reminds me of that time my vow of poverty pixie barbarian Suzume used her belt to strangle the king of this place that used dragons to terrorize the loc...

[Rattles on for about 20 more pages of text.]

loopy
2009-10-26, 04:39 PM
I get a lot of surprised looks nowadays when I tell people I'm into RPG's, vidja games, and sci-fi. Apparently I just don't look the sort any more.

This is a source of endless amusement for me, as I am more than happy to get into a discussion on Warhammer 40k fluff/tactics in the middle of a rave, or while I'm sitting on the sidelines of a football game, or whatever.

NeoVid
2009-10-26, 05:05 PM
Mostly fit the stereotype here, except for having a girlfriend, who I met while gaming, since that's the only place I meet anyone.

Also, she only goes out with gamers.

Solaris
2009-10-26, 05:48 PM
And not just in the AF, I've seen it among other branches as well.

Damn straight. My group pre-deployment was composed entirely of artillerymen (mostly cannon crewmen, but including one very out-of-place FDC cat) 'cept for the one civilian guy. I'm the smallest of 'em, but most people look at me and think "This guy is mildly psychotic" or if I'm not smiling, they think "Sweet 'stache!" and not so much "Nerd!".
That said, I avoid the Comic Book Shop in Fairbanks on Friday nights/Saturdays for a very good reason. There are entirely too many teen nerds who don't believe in personal hygiene.

AslanCross
2009-10-26, 05:52 PM
I have a great deal of social interaction as a teacher and as an actively practicing Christian. (So I go against the Chick stereotype at least).

I'm not a huge hulking guy but I do work out and run 3-5 kilometers at least twice a week. I'm not (no longer, at least) overweight and don't have excessive facial hair.

I rarely dress in black, get a fair deal of solar exposure (I live in a tropical country), and actually have more than a few female friends. I have a good relationship with my family and love them very much.

I talk about many other things apart from my characters/gaming, but I can if I wanted to.

EDIT: Finally, I endeavor to make sure I have good hygiene. When I go to gaming stores, conventions, and the like, I make sure that I smell better than everyone else. :P

All I need now is a girlfriend/wife and I'll probably have broken every single gamer stereotype.

jmbrown
2009-10-26, 05:56 PM
Growing up in a military family and having picked up a lot of military friends, I've learned this: Nerds are really common in the armed forces.

Being in the Navy I can attest to this. During deployment all we do is play games. When we're not on deployment all we do is play games. The revenue military bases bring to the community are so great that whenever a ship pulls in every shop within 10 miles throws up a sign "*your ship here* we welcome you[r money]!"

SoD
2009-10-26, 06:58 PM
Me? I'd say I break the 'stereotype'. I break all stereotyples. I wear Hawaiian shirts, fingerless gloves, thongs, any one of a range of hats including, but not limited to, Russian bearskin, a fez, a hat of the four winds, a 'sherlock holmes' style hat, and a lost fishermans hat. And sometimes a skarf. My friends spend a lot of time debating weather I'm actually God, the Devil, or the Doctor.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-26, 07:00 PM
My friends spend a lot of time debating weather I'm actually God, the Devil, or the Doctor.

I don't see why all three can't be applicable at the same time.

Zaydos
2009-10-26, 07:17 PM
I don't see why all three can't be applicable at the same time.

Didn't the Doctor defeat the Devil in one episode? Although I will agree he's obviously God.

Seriously as much as I fall in the total dork stereotype, I am a Christian (mostly, some Buddhist elements), I've had a girlfriend (although she was a gamer so...), I made about 10 friends in the course of a single semester, but haven't really expanded beyond it; yet I'm the closest thing I've seen to a stereotypical gamer... except maybe at the gaming club and well okay there are a few, most of them rather cool although my friends have commented on it being bad that I'm so like them.

I've met people who have been gaming for longer than I've been alive (my uncle used to make my mom play with him). Some of these have moved on but remain gamers (my uncle plays WoW and had Lv 70s last Christmas), some owned game stores, some lived next door to one of my friends. All married. I've also known ones who are ten years older than me, have been gaming for as long as I have or less and come off as the creepy gamer stereotype as much as they are entertaining to be around. So I'd say I don't know anyone who actually lives up to the stereotype although I do recognize portions of it (mostly in myself).

Solaris
2009-10-26, 07:18 PM
Me? I'd say I break the 'stereotype'. I break all stereotyples. I wear Hawaiian shirts, fingerless gloves, thongs, any one of a range of hats including, but not limited to, Russian bearskin, a fez, a hat of the four winds, a 'Sherlock Holmes' style hat, and a lost fishermans hat. And sometimes a scarf. My friends spend a lot of time debating weather I'm actually God, the Devil, or the Doctor.

So, guess which part of this post I could've lived without knowing?

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 07:23 PM
Is SoD perhaps male and thus the thong?

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Solaris
2009-10-26, 07:24 PM
Is SoD perhaps male and thus the thong?

Other than that, I got nothin'.

Nonsense, the hats. Horrific abominations, those. Truly mind-breaking on a Lovecraftian level.

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 07:26 PM
The hats are the best part.

taltamir
2009-10-26, 08:15 PM
current gaming group... i brought cheetoes for everyone on the first day (and fruit for myself)... nobody wanted to touch the cheetos, they all brought fruit, soup, and other wholesome foods.

I have never player in a group that had no girls... most had more than one girl.

I know a lot of jocks who play... especially in my highschool football team (I was in it). Also a lot of us loved shows like star trek, and reading, and were in advanced placement courses...

I honestly think those stereotype only exist in Hollywood and never existed IRL.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-26, 08:18 PM

True, that.

I guess when you like blowing stuff up, you also like blowing stuff up.

EDIT: I'm six feet tall, wear glasses, have no fashion sense, tend to stick to myself. I *am* the stereotype.

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 08:22 PM
Oh, I didn't mean just gaming nerds.

Frex, my father. Career Army Infantry. 30 years. Vietnam Vet.

Only within the last few years has it dawned on me that, yes, he's a history buff... but when you get down to it, it's actually more accurate to call him a history nerd.

Bookish.
Keeps to himself.
Thinks outloud.
Can cope socially (being old and successful does that) but at an intimate level, is not a social person.
Goes on long tangents about scholarly things no one else cares about.

You don't grow up thinking that the six-foot-two man who's a Colonel in the Infantry and loves athletics and sports is a nerd, and after a while you stop trying to classify your parents at all, but it suddenly hit me that my father is a gigantic nerd.

Stadge
2009-10-26, 08:30 PM
I seem to be a mixture, when people first meet me they tend not to think I'm geeky, I'm guessing the fact that I played rugby for 4 years may have something to do with this, as does my habit of being able to adjust my conversation to whatever kind of group I'm with quite easily.

But after a while people twig that my main interests are sci-fi, d&d and going to conventions. Oh and when people learn that I'm doing a degree in Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic I seem to move more towards the stereotype in their opinion.

kjones
2009-10-26, 08:33 PM
Oh, I didn't mean just gaming nerds.

Frex, my father. Career Army Infantry. 30 years. Vietnam Vet.

Only within the last few years has it dawned on me that, yes, he's a history buff... but when you get down to it, it's actually more accurate to call him a history nerd.

Bookish.
Keeps to himself.
Thinks outloud.
Can cope socially (being old and successful does that) but at an intimate level, is not a social person.
Goes on long tangents about scholarly things no one else cares about.

You don't grow up thinking that the six-foot-two man who's a Colonel in the Infantry and loves athletics and sports is a nerd, and after a while you stop trying to classify your parents at all, but it suddenly hit me that my father is a gigantic nerd.

My father is also a nerd, in his own way... I think I know what you mean.

I wrote a blog post (http://thethirdamendment.blogspot.com/2008/11/nerdiness-as-projection-onto-three.html) about the subject some time back; I think it's relevant here. The tl;dr of it is that one can be nerdy about anything, not just "nerdy" subjects - if somebody is really passionate about fishing, I basically think of them as a fishing nerd, for example.

Sharkman1231
2009-10-26, 08:35 PM
I'm so close to breaking the sterotype, asking a girl out on Wednesday, so close...

Though I'm only half-white and have no acne...
Hmm...

Draz74
2009-10-27, 01:33 AM
I guess I fit the stereotype, because people don't usually seem surprised to find out I'm an RPG gamer.

I somehow manage to fit the stereotype in spite of violating some of its major symptoms. (I've had several girlfriends, none of whom were gamers ... I'm highly addicted to playing sports several times a week ... and I'm generally very social.)

W00t. Nothing wrong with being labeled a nerd or a gamer, as long as you know that such an archetype doesn't have to hinder other areas of your life. It's nice when other people recognize that too, but if they don't ... meh, whatever.

taltamir
2009-10-27, 02:30 AM
aren't all DnD players generally social?

Eldan
2009-10-27, 04:38 AM
No, I'm really not. I hate parties, crowds and strangers. Which is of course stupid.

AslanCross
2009-10-27, 04:42 AM
aren't all DnD players generally social?

A common stereotype is that we're antisocial people who don't step out into the sun. Some of my teachers in the past had this stereotype.

Like all stereotypes, it's not necessarily true; just a common way people see things.

taltamir
2009-10-27, 05:50 AM
A common stereotype is that we're antisocial people who don't step out into the sun. Some of my teachers in the past had this stereotype.

Like all stereotypes, it's not necessarily true; just a common way people see things.

i mean, by definition, a group of people who get together to play games which involve their imagination and playing roles... you can't get much more social than that... some guys getting together to watch TV are not having nearly the level of social interaction

weenie
2009-10-27, 06:45 AM
Getting together with friends to play games is a pretty social activity when you look at it, but I must say I met some of the weirdest people I know through d&d. After all playing gives you something to talk about, so it facilitates conversation for people who are not very good at it. That might be part of why so many nerds like to RP.

As for me, I'm somewhere in between. I sorta have a gf, and have had quite a few in the past, enjoy sports, going to and throwing parties, I've had a band and am now starting a new one, but I also work in the AI lab in my faculty, always did well in school, and can sometimes be awkward in social situations. Not really sure what that makes me though. We don't really have that strong of a nerd-jock division where I'm from.

Lioness
2009-10-27, 06:54 AM

That's amusing. My boyfriend, who is our DM, never goes into the sun if he can help it, because he just burns too easily. Seriously. Once he sat in the shade all day and went home bright red.

Anyway...I break the stereotype. I'm a girl. Fairly fit, attractive (judging by the number of guys who wont get lost) and a healthy mix of gamer nerd, english nerd, and relatively sane person.

Project_Mayhem
2009-10-27, 08:13 AM
My regular group seems to be composed of martial artists to a large extent. I don't really count myself, cause I'm lazy and don't practice, but our DM is teaching Kung Fu (Praying Mantis and Long Fist) on campus in his free time, and everyone else regularly attends.

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-27, 08:36 AM
The connection between the armed forces and activities like DnD is to me, not a surprising one. Nor is it a surprise to many folks who work in the industry...some of the publishing companies that publish the nerdiest magazines out there are also responsible for many military-focused magazines/weapon-focused periodicals.

I think its less that the military somehow encourages than the other way around. A geek with ambitions, I feel, is somehow more likely to join a military organization. After all, he's spent his leisure time dreaming about fighting monsters, killing dragons, saving kingdoms, and freeing princesses. It's almost natural to go from there to defending your family or country =P

I think the military picked up on this too, or does nobody else remember the add for the navy/marines where the guy fought his way through a lava cave to kill a dragon and then HE WAS A MARINE!

No offense to army, air force, national guard, whatever else I'm leaving out, but guys, they win the awesome ad game.

Ormur
2009-10-27, 08:41 AM
I think my gaming groups are mostly made up of nerds, myself included. It's just that there is a lot less stigma attached to being a nerd now. Being cool and having nerdy interests just isn't mutually exclusive anymore.

Glass Mouse
2009-10-27, 10:17 AM
New friend of mine: "If I took a bunch of random people, and I had to guess who was a gamer... you wouldn't be my first pick. But you wouldn't be my last, either."

Yeah...
I'm actually getting worse. Really, I tend to get sucked into anything as long as it's creative, and I'm having fun (same with writing or drawing). Also, I prefer D&D to parties (actually, I prefer most social activities to parties...), and most of my friends are gamers. Religion is no issue in my country, but I guess by other standards I'd be a godless heathen (aka: atheist).
On the other hand, I have a steady boyfriend, I have friends outside of D&D, I'm not especially ugly (at least, not according to my bf and my mom :smalltongue:), and I don't identify with any "weird" subculture nor cult. I'm pretty shy, though, and my eating habits leave me in constant wonder as to why I don't weigh 200 kilo.

Guess I'm kinda stereotypical, after all.

Oh wait, I'm a girl... Nevermind, then! :smallbiggrin:

Kiero
2009-10-27, 10:40 AM
Your stereotypical gamer is basically Comicbook Guy from The Simpsons. That's the archetype that I think people are aiming at, which means:
White
Male
Overweight (or even obese) - though there's a substereotype of the skinny gamer
Unathletic (and no good at team sports)
Single (and likely a virgin)
Short-sighted (and a wearer of glasses)
Bearded (or at least a goatee)
Ponytail/long unkempt hair
Solitary (or a very small circle of geek friends)
Unfashionable
Socially awkward
Un/Underemployed/underachiever

I'm non-white, male (that's one!), never been over- or under-weight, athletic (and good at team sports), married, had LASIK to correct my vision (two!), clean-shaven, shaven-headed, have a large circle of friends, know what looks good on me, and have no trouble dealing with people (it's part of my job), and have a decent job.

t_catt11
2009-10-27, 11:15 AM
May I add my own two cents?

The gamer stereotype, as is often the case, exists because of two reasons:

1. Ignorance or those unfamiliar with the group.

2. The existence of a disproportionate number of individuals within the group who fit the stereotype.

That being said, I think that the gamer stereotype is probably pretty unfair (as most are). I have met gamers from literally every walk of life. With the exception that most gamers tend to be somewhat above average intelligence (else a number-based pursuit would not likely interest them), it can be difficult to fit us into any other neat little box.

We are all genders, sexual orientations (and levels of sexual frequency :smalltongue:), races, ages, religions, and creeds.

bosssmiley
2009-10-27, 12:03 PM
Growing up in the back woods of Florida I picked up playing RPGs with my brither and the only other kid my age within 15 miles. In high school I was a Jock-ish kind of guy, did weight lifting, swim team, and was also in a scremo band (no we weren't good, only played like a dozen venues total) and was overall a popular guy. Same with my brother. People would ask what are you doing this weekend and I'd reply without hesitation "playing some DnD" or "playing some Wod (actually vampire the masquerade at that time but w/e)"

They people would look at me and usually ask what is that or say isn't that a devil worshipping game?....I often got the you don't look like the DnD type....I guess that is true, I'm in the USAF, have a 6-pack, go to the gym 4-6 times a week, and love sports. But i love a good RPG, still play DnD and can talk 'nerd' with the best of them. SO how about everyone else? You break the DnD cliche? This isn't to start any kind of trouble just curious...

Mate, do you know how many gamers there are in the military? Gamer grunt is practically a sub-cliche of the wider cliche. :smallwink:

I think the "gamer = out-of-shape nerd" archetype is pretty much a dead letter in 2009. I know gamer lawyers, gamer stock car racers, and even a few gamer pornstars (no names, no packdrill). The nerdy kids who couldn't get a date? Maybe a couple of decades ago...

Me? I'm just the classic Brit gamer cliche: pale, glasses, black clothes, snark. :smallamused:

taltamir
2009-10-27, 01:36 PM
My regular group seems to be composed of martial artists to a large extent. I don't really count myself, cause I'm lazy and don't practice, but our DM is teaching Kung Fu (Praying Mantis and Long Fist) on campus in his free time, and everyone else regularly attends.

did you house rule to buff up monks?

Roderick_BR
2009-10-27, 09:26 PM
(...)
"...I will stick to Pokemon."

I would have laughed, except that was my gameboy she was using...
(...)
Epic. Simply epic.

I don't know if I fill the stereotype. I was kinda skinny (geeky guy? never looked like the part), got a bit chubby after I started working (that would fit a bit the basement type guy?), and these days (nearly 15 years later), I have a kinda lean build, unimpressive facial features... I'm more a neutral view type:smalltongue:

Project_Mayhem
2009-10-27, 10:44 PM
did you house rule to buff up monks?

Heh. We tend to play WoD, and yes - badass martial arts characters are both common and effective. The aforementioned DM's last PC was a 600 year old killing machine.

And I'd totally just play a Swordsage anyway.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-10-28, 01:52 AM
I'm a walking stereotype. Take the comic book guy, reduce fat, add muscle, add random black metal t-shirt, add glasses. So physically I've got the stereotype down. I've got a large circle of friends though, both gamer and non-gamer, so I guess that breaks the mold.

When I look back on my illustrious life, I have no choice but to conclude that I was a giant nerd from day 1.

I think the thing about the gamer stereotype is this: playing D&D doesn't cause you to become weird per se, but in my experience weird people are drawn to RPGs like moths to a flame. So whatever you guys want to believe, personal experience has shown me that the world of RPGs is chock-full of freaks and geeks. Of course, it isn't necessarily dominated by them, but I'd wager that the proportion of geeks/non-geeks that play D&D is significantly higher than in the general population.

AslanCross
2009-10-28, 02:36 AM
I'd never deny I'm a geek, but I do my best to not look like the stereotypical geek with a hygiene problem.

Glass Mouse
2009-10-28, 08:50 AM
I think the thing about the gamer stereotype is this: playing D&D doesn't cause you to become weird per se, but in my experience weird people are drawn to RPGs like moths to a flame. So whatever you guys want to believe, personal experience has shown me that the world of RPGs is chock-full of freaks and geeks. Of course, it isn't necessarily dominated by them, but I'd wager that the proportion of geeks/non-geeks that play D&D is significantly higher than in the general population.

I think there's a lot of truth to this. Don't we all know a couple of guys who only play RPGs because they have no other social interaction? It's an easy way to hang out, you don't have to master any skills, and you don't even have to be yourself.
Also, is it just me, or are gamer types generally a lot more forgiving of people's shortcomings than many other social groups?

AslanCross
2009-10-28, 08:58 AM
Also, is it just me, or are gamer types generally a lot more forgiving of people's shortcomings than many other social groups?

I'd like to say yes, but then there are groups that fall apart violently and fanboys.

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-28, 09:17 AM
White---> check

Male ---> check (more or less 50% chance)

Overweight (or even obese) - though there's a substereotype of the skinny gamer ----> I was skinny but it's I while I body build

Unathletic (and no good at team sports) ---> see above

Single (and likely a virgin) ---> man, no. I'm Italian

Short-sighted (and a wearer of glasses) ---> check

Bearded (or at least a goatee) almost no hair, if not on my head!

Ponytail/long unkempt hair --> no, but I keep them

Solitary (or a very small circle of geek friends)---> only sometimes.

Unfashionable -----> check, even if I'm Italian

Socially awkward ---> it depends strictly from the moon phase (my schizophrenic avatar has a meaning..

Un/Underemployed/underachiever ---> PhD student. So, in the next future, yes, I guess..

Tyndmyr
2009-10-28, 09:25 AM

Fair enough. Mind you, there's often pretty good diversity in the sorta freaks around the table, but a *very* high percentage of people Ive played with in real life have definitely qualified as weird.

Flying Dutchman
2009-10-28, 10:13 AM
I played 3 sports in high school basketball/football/baseball. I'm pretty strong I could bench about 230 at one time although i'm a bit outta shape now. I dated the hottest girl in school (although i'm pretty sure she was cheating on me) girls say i look a bit like Josh Hartnet or however you spell his name, Although 40 days and 40 nights did rock.

I however play video games about 4 hours a day and play D&D on sundays with my buddies. I read fantasy novels wildly, I litterly just dropped like 50 bucks an amazon last week. Dresden Files by Butcher is my fav series.

I went to Bradley University, A private school in Peoria, Il graduated with a CIS degree.

So i'd say I'm a pretty typical geek in terms of how I spend my life..... Massive time spent playing/computer degree. Although what with Skype and IM's and cell phones, I think it's hard to say the gaming is "anti-social" anymore.

Guess i just rolled well for my Str and Cha score, lol.

I think gaming is a more socially acceptable hobby now than it was 5-10 years ago. With Halo sucking the jocks into games, and WoW sucking EVERYONE into games. RPG's have a whole new market for people who would never have played them before.

My particular friend group is pretty wide spread as well. We all game, and we've got everything from a college athlete, someone going to medical school, A very proudly homosexual theater major, and a very angry Irishman who could bench press a volkswagon.....

I just think that the sterotype has been outgrown for the most part.

toasty
2009-10-28, 11:56 AM
I love video games and rpgs, sci-fi and fantasy books. I talk about RPGs all the time and love all of it. I don't have a lot of friends, never been on a date. So I guess I'm a "average" geek.

The one thing that I don't fit is the love of math/science. Not really a fan there... I prefer English.

Zovc
2009-10-28, 12:11 PM
White: Yup.
Male: Yup.
Overweight (or even obese) - though there's a substereotype of the skinny gamer: Skinny, very skinny.
Unathletic (and no good at team sports): I'm not particularly bad, but I don't practice any sport. I'm okay at tennis.
Single (and likely a virgin): I has girlfriend.
Short-sighted (and a wearer of glasses): I wear contacts.
Bearded (or at least a goatee): Yeah, I have a very scraggly beard, although it it probably the second most impressive between all of my "close friends."
Ponytail/long unkempt hair: Used to have long hair, but even with 'short' hair (medium length to some, but not long by any measurement) I make sure that my hair is clean and presentable. I hate my hair being oily, and it only takes an entire day for it to become just that, so I make sure I shower daily (if not twice a day).
Solitary (or a very small circle of geek friends): No. I have three major circles of friends, and am even a part of "other circles." In other words, I fit in with friends other circles, even if I don't regularly hang out with them. One circle of friends is primarily three friends and myself, but easily encompass three to seven more--we all play games together, and occasionally bring other friends; most of them like drinking and getting high, I don't. I have a 'clique' met at college that is me and four others, we all enjoy games to some extent, but tend to just 'hang out' when together; we all have our own friends who may or may not be a regular part of the group at any given time. The third group is one I game with, I'm relatively new to this one, but I fit in fine--most of them are older than I am, and done with drugs, but do still drink. I also have a musician friend who parties and has lots of friends, I will jump to hang out with (and jam with) he and his company when he is not partying or getting hammered, or both.
Unfashionable: Not really. I almost never wear black. I am usually found wearing khaki cargo shorts or (relatively intact, if a little frayed from actual wear) blue jeans. At least eighty percent of the time, I am wearing flip-flops (my infamous slip-flops finally broke) and a "vintage" t-shirt featuring some sort of design; I usually wear a polo shirt, an unbuttoned long-sleeve button-up shirt, or a hoodie over said t-shirt. My friends and I are usually able to point out at least one lady checking me out a day.
Socially awkward: Yes and No. Back in high school (where I actually was who I am now, I think my personality changed a lot in the early years), a lot of people didn't get me. By Late Junior year/during my Senior year in high school, I became the pleasant person I am. The most popular girl at my school asked me to go with her to homecomming for our senior year (where she would be queen), I declined--I wasn't going to go regardless of whoever asked me, I was going to hang out with my buddies and play video games. Nowadays, most people seem to be able to see how nice and friendly of a person I am, and most people I want to talk to I can. I do have a somewhat awkward, obtuse sense of humor that is tied loosely to /b/, although I have no trouble abandoning mannerisms. I curse like a sailor around my friends, but can hop into a different clique and be the most politically correct/appropriate person in the world. I would consider being confident and outspoken about my 'Atheism' to be socially awkward, as wrong as I think that is--I live in the bible belt.
Un/Underemployed/underachiever: Yes, to a large extent. Not currently motivated enough to go to college. I am A+, Network+, and Security+ certified and looking for a job--in the meantime, I'm providing my dad's office an IT guy (/going on IT calls from there), installing and networking copy machines, and occasionally helping work on copy machines. I'm planning on studying Math and electronics on my own, in case I ever do want to go back to college I can test out of classes (Math ones, particularly). I'm also considdering learning to speak French (and maybe Spanish) with Dad's Rosetta Stone.

Something I noticed, more girls tend to 'check me out' when I'm with my girlfriend. Some have even asked if we were brother and sister.