PDA

View Full Version : Has a Greater Spell Storing weapon ability ever existed? [3.5]

deuxhero
2009-10-26, 06:12 PM
Question in the topic.

sofawall
2009-10-26, 06:59 PM
Not to my knowledge.

Korivan
2009-10-26, 07:12 PM
Seems simple enough mechanic to homebrew though. I think spell storing weapon is 0-3 level spell with a cost of +1. You could make something like 0-6 with a +2, +3? I wouldn't go any highter with the spell level, even with a +5 cost...unless its epic. Maybe 0-5 for a +2 or +3?

industrious
2009-10-26, 07:22 PM
Past a certain point, though, storing a spell in a weapon would be pointless. Meteor Swarm cast inside a weapon? I hit you, everything around us goes boom.

Korivan
2009-10-26, 07:27 PM
I don't think it works with Meteor Swarm. You can aim the spell at someone and roll an attack roll, but that isn't "targeted" I believe.

weenie
2009-10-27, 04:47 AM
This would probably get silly soon. At low levels it's already powerful, but at high levels you have things like irresistible dance, where people suck without a save.

sdream
2009-10-27, 08:29 AM
Lots of targeted spells suck without save... if they have an attack roll.

A weapon based attack is usually harder to land on a real foe worth the effort than a touch based attack, so you are already giving them a simple AC based save.

Person_Man
2009-10-27, 08:38 AM
To my knowledge, it does not exist, and I've read every non-setting specific 3.5 book. I also would not allow it in my games unless the player who was going to use it was demonstrably weaker then others. If Batman Wizard 20 is in the game, then CW Samurai 20 can have it. But CoDzilla cannot.

Brendan
2009-10-27, 10:05 AM
If an epic one had 0-9 or 10, then could you send, say, a wail of the banshee? would it target you, too?

ericgrau
2009-10-27, 12:06 PM
Based on the relative prices of rings of spell storing it'd be about +3 for medium and +5 for major. Based on the relative costs of metamagic quicken rods - since you essentially get a quickened spell - it's +2 for medium and +5 for major. But I like a 1/3/5 pattern better :smalltongue:.

Ya, irresistable dance seems a bit OP regardless of level. Then every epic character would get major spell storing. OTOH at earlier levels giving up 5d6 damage on every attack vs. neutralizing a single baddy for 2-5 rounds only once seems like a fair trade-off. And at higher levels a lot of baddies could have SR. Hmm but then instead of being a damage dealer you load up on 4 spell storing daggers, neutralize any encounter without SR, and let your allies mop up. Yeah, it could be abused with the right kind of planning.

Wail of the banshee has no "target" line so it'd be ineligible for a spell storing weapon.

arguskos
2009-10-27, 12:22 PM
The best thing I have for you is the Spellblade enchantment, from Magic of Faerun (unsure if it's ever been reprinted, since I never see it, I assume it hasn't been). It's a +1 bonus, and makes you immune to one specific targeted spell chosen when the spellblade is created. If you are targeted by that spell, the spellblade enchantment absorbs it. On your next turn, you can either redirect it as a free action, or let it drain away harmlessly, your choice.

That's... about as close as I can think to there being a Greater Spell Storing, and it's not that close really.

Darrin
2009-10-27, 06:03 PM
The best thing I have for you is the Spellblade enchantment, from Magic of Faerun (unsure if it's ever been reprinted, since I never see it, I assume it hasn't been). It's a +1 bonus, and makes you immune to one specific targeted spell chosen when the spellblade is created. If you are targeted by that spell, the spellblade enchantment absorbs it. On your next turn, you can either redirect it as a free action, or let it drain away harmlessly, your choice.

It was reprinted in Player's Guide to Faerun. The description/effects are almost identical, except the cost was changed to a flat +6000 GP. Works somewhat like Spell Immunity, but there's no cap on spell level, and you can redirect the spell to another target. (In my current campaign, the PCs' patron has given them all spellblades to protect them from Discern Location.)

Could you be more specific about what you're trying to do with a Greater Spell Storing weapon? There may be some work-arounds that can do something similar... for example, a Greater Glyph Seal could be attached to a weapon which is then "touched" by the target when you smack 'em with it. There are also a couple "spell storing" tricks in some of the obscure Forgotten Realms books.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-27, 06:08 PM
Could that possibly interact with metafaculty?

arguskos
2009-10-27, 09:01 PM
Do you have to be wielding the spellblade, or could you have a couple dozen diminutive spell daggers tucked away in a belt pouch? Or at the very least, something cheesy involving spiked armor/gauntlets/etc, where each individual spike is another spellblade...
Uh, thanks to Darrin letting me know about it being reprinted, I can tell you it says "wielder is immune to the spell". Depends on what the technical definition of wielder is. I'd likely say yes, you need to be wielding it for it to work, but that might not be right, by RAW.