PDA

View Full Version : Book club Small Gods pages 181-end

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-26, 07:36 PM
SO MANY RL PROBLEMS AND DRAMA ARGGHH!!!!!! NO TIME!!!! anyways heres the rest of the thread for discussing the book, Discuss any part of it as well here, even if not in the listed pages.
Anyways, thought the book was amazing, yet a tad forced and Vorbis definitely got whats coming to him. Does anyone know if this country is mentioned in any other discworld book?

V: AWWWWWW!!!!

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 07:37 PM
Omnia comes up in a casual mention in practically half of the city watch books. It is never again a centerpiece, however.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-26, 08:21 PM
Omnia comes up in a casual mention in practically half of the city watch books. It is never again a centerpiece, however.

The Omnians basically degrade from being a cheap "Spanish Inquisition" stand-in to being "Jehova's Witness" stand-ins, but in one of the Witch books they're also used as "Wannabe exorcist"

Mythestopheles
2009-10-26, 08:38 PM
GAH. I forgot to bookmark the last few threads. ah well, *Bookmarks*.
Anywhays, I have to say, I loved it. I especially liked the ironic humor, as if some god somewhere is laughing at the characters misfortune (Actually that probably was the case :smallwink:). I also enjoyed the idea of Om being turned into a turtle, he curses people constantly, but can barely summon enough power to singe someone's hair.
It was also interesting to see Burtha talking back to Om, commanding him. When Om spoke it was as if it was in a prayer book, even though he was saying pretty common things, which is interesting.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-26, 09:36 PM
It was also interesting to see Burtha talking back to Om, commanding him. When Om spoke it was as if it was in a prayer book, even though he was saying pretty common things, which is interesting.

Yeah, that was freaking hilarious. I also remember the crazy hermit out in the desert whose imaginary friend was real and killed that lion. I found that especially funny.

BritishBill
2009-10-26, 09:38 PM
Yeah, that was freaking hilarious. I also remember the crazy hermit out in the desert whose imaginary friend was real and killed that lion. I found that especially funny.

Yea, that was one of the highlights of the books for me. I also liked how Om fought off all the small gods from Brutha. He went from thinking Brutha was a moron to completely relying on him for existence, and as Brutha realized this his intelligence seemed to grow:smallbiggrin:

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-26, 09:46 PM
Yes, mentioning his intelligence, I would have loved his ability to remember (practically) everything, and how the only reason he died was because he forgot how old he was. That was so funny, but when he died, I thought he would have went to serve Om or something in the afterlife.

Zuki
2009-10-26, 11:38 PM
I've always liked that Discworld books very carefully don't have an afterlife. There is death, and Death comes for you, and he takes you to...whatever happens next. But after that transition, a mystery. We don't know what's at the end of the desert, after all.

It takes the edge off of the sting of bit characters you got attached to dying, in that they get a little bit of dialogue afterwards. But still, dead is dead, not a revolving door or a second lease on life elsewhere.

Quincunx
2009-10-27, 06:40 AM

. . .maaaaaaybe. After all, we only saw it from the perspective of the mad prophet, who couldn't tell that his feasts weren't real. But you're right, it is funny no matter which way you read it. :smallwink:

(I bought the book last week but lost track of it until two days ago--put it in my sewing basket. Sorry for missing the first few discussions.)

Brutha's forgetfulness before death was odd. He's the guy who never forgets and he managed to fuzz the details of the most important time of his life like. . .well, like the rest of us, who can't bear the pain of remembering in perfect detail?

BritishBill: You're right, Brutha's thoughts did seem to speed up the longer Om was in contact with him and the more that Om needed Brutha. I'd put that down to 'growing up fast' which is what happens when someone relies upon you, but maybe it was divine influence.

Thufir
2009-10-27, 07:24 AM
BritishBill: You're right, Brutha's thoughts did seem to speed up the longer Om was in contact with him and the more that Om needed Brutha. I'd put that down to 'growing up fast' which is what happens when someone relies upon you, but maybe it was divine influence.

This is actually mentioned at one point during the book, that prolonged exposure to Brutha is giving Om some more human traits, whereas some of Om's divinity rubs off on Brutha, making him a prophet.

The Turtle Moves.

BritishBill
2009-10-27, 03:33 PM
This is actually mentioned at one point during the book, that prolonged exposure to Brutha is giving Om some more human traits, whereas some of Om's divinity rubs off on Brutha, making him a prophet.

The Turtle Moves.

Yea slowly but surely Bruthas character becomes an enigmatic leader for his country. I dont think the transformation starts till he travels out of Ommia.Thats when he starts to see different views of the world.

Viera Champion
2009-10-28, 05:57 AM
The end wasnt quite as interesting as I thought it was but I liked Om's scene. Also, I love Death as a character. Yeah go the book I suggested!!

BritishBill
2009-10-28, 10:03 AM
The end wasnt quite as interesting as I thought it was but I liked Om's scene. Also, I love Death as a character. Yeah go the book I suggested!!

Yea Death is a great character in this books, hes pretty badass.