PDA

View Full Version : OotS Halloween Costumes!

[TS] Shadow
2009-10-26, 09:54 PM
It's almost Halloween, kids! In celebration of our favorite webcomic, a friend and I are dressing up as Vaarsuvius and Elan, respectively. I don't know how far along he is, but I've just got the cloak done and I only have the sash left. Anyone else have OotS Halloween costumes they have worn/are going to wear?

Bliu Skye
2009-10-26, 10:18 PM
Well, I don't go trick-or-treating anymore, but I am going to celebrate my favorite character on Friday by dying my hair purple, wearing red, and speaking at the top of my vocabulary the entire day. Oh yeah. I'll also be passing out Explosive Runes and I will somehow find a reason to shout the word MAD!!! at someone.
And the people at my high school thought I was weird before...

Ted The Bug
2009-10-26, 10:25 PM
I'll also be passing out Explosive Runes

Explosive Runes aren't just for Halloween! You know what's really fun? Making a folder on a shared computer, naming it "Adult pics", and having the only thing in it be a Word document with fifty pages of "I prepared explosive runes this morning".
I'm amazing I haven't been fired. :smallbiggrin:

Prak
2009-10-26, 10:36 PM
Well, I don't go trick-or-treating anymore, but I am going to celebrate my favorite character on Friday by dying my hair purple, wearing red, and speaking at the top of my vocabulary the entire day. Oh yeah. I'll also be passing out Explosive Runes and I will somehow find a reason to shout the word MAD!!! at someone.
And the people at my high school thought I was weird before...

got any teachers nerdy enough to know the "explosive runes" joke?

it also occurs to me you may want to be careful about explosive runes, schools will see the words "prepared" "explosive" "today" and freak out.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-26, 10:37 PM
...I actually think my physics teacher would get the reference. Not gonna try it though.

Prak
2009-10-26, 11:12 PM
yeah, getting called into the office to have the vice principal go through your back pack and make sure you're not dangerous is not a fun day... I should know...

I suppose there are other things V's famous for you might be able to do...

Grey Watcher
2009-10-26, 11:56 PM
I haven't had time to put together a costume yet, but I'm seriously considering an OOTS character. Vaarsuvius would certainly be among the simplest. Roy is perhaps the most iconic looking (ie those not familiar with OOTS specifically will still recognize the trope of an armored warrior). On the other hand, I'm not black, so I don't know how well or poorly that would go over, and my fiance hates it when I shave my head. Considered Elan, but I don't have the complexion to pull of blond, and no idea where to get a good wig (and for one occasion?). Elan's old look is a more striking costume, but his new look is easier to pull off, so we'll see which way I go. Might do Nale. It'd give me an excuse to grow back my goatee, but it'd have to be Nale's old look (his new one is a little TOO non-descript), and he brings the same hair problems as his brother. No desire to cross-dress, so Haley's out (as is Sabine). I'm not feeling Durkon, and I dunno if I want to RP Belkar (plus, I am of average height for an adult human male, so I don't know if a dwarf or halfling would read).

Thog might be fun, too, but that's a lot of green make-up, and, having once dressed up as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, I remember how uncomfortable that was. The secondary Linear Guilders, Sapphire Guard, and other characters, in addition to varying difficulties in the practical elements, suffer even more from low recognition. Xykon might work, though. A generic skeleton costume, a blue robe, a red cape, and a crown, and we're pretty much set....

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-27, 12:08 AM
it also occurs to me you may want to be careful about explosive runes, schools will see the words "prepared" "explosive" "today" and freak out.
Quite. I'm reminded of the kid who wound up in deep water over the "terrorist threat" he presented by attaching a sticker for the band This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb to his bike.

Prak
2009-10-27, 12:19 AM
Quite. I'm reminded of the kid who wound up in deep water over the "terrorist threat" he presented by attaching a sticker for the band This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb to his bike.

see, there's school being stupid, and kids being stupid...

mine was a bit of both, really...

Hell, you can't even take obviously toy weapons to schools these days...

so V's really the best option for a school.

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-27, 12:21 AM
see, there's school being stupid, and kids being stupid...

mine was a bit of both, really...
Man, you have to tell us now.

Prak
2009-10-27, 12:31 AM
well, see, I already knew that my angry grumbling could get me into trouble, so, instead of saying something stupid like "I wish he'd die" this one day in High School when I was particularly aggravated, I was grumbling to a friend about releasing big, hungry cats such as lions on the school... it was a particularly satisfying thought, and I figured it'd be ridiculous enough that no one was going to worry about me...

I was wrong...

Now, mind you, I'm an artistic nerd who dresses all in black, and is a bit of a loner, so, they were probably already watching me carefully... but they called me into the office and I was met by the VP and the two campus cops, and they asked if I'd mind if the VP went through my back pack. I figured I had no real say in the manner so I handed it over, and he went through everything. From notebooks, to sketchpads, to ccg decks in car boxes...

I was not in a good mood...

Tass
2009-10-27, 08:16 AM
Man I'm glad I don't live in America, though paranoia is coming here too.

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-27, 08:29 AM
and I figured it'd be ridiculous enough that no one was going to worry about me...

I was wrong...
In a sane world it would have been.

I can't see any reason why you're as much to blame as the school there. That was an insane overreaction on the school's part. I mean, why did they have to search you? Did they think your bag was full of lions?

Asta Kask
2009-10-27, 08:34 AM
In a sane world it would have been.

I can't see any reason why you're as much to blame as the school there. That was an insane overreaction on the school's part. I mean, why did they have to search you? Did they think your bag was full of lions?

Obviously a bag of tricks. I mean, if it can contain rhinos...

Tass
2009-10-27, 08:42 AM
Obviously a bag of tricks. I mean, if it can contain rhinos...

You just won this thread.

Cizak
2009-10-27, 10:14 AM
well, see, I already knew that my angry grumbling could get me into trouble, so, instead of saying something stupid like "I wish he'd die" this one day in High School when I was particularly aggravated, I was grumbling to a friend about releasing big, hungry cats such as lions on the school... it was a particularly satisfying thought, and I figured it'd be ridiculous enough that no one was going to worry about me...

I was wrong...

Now, mind you, I'm an artistic nerd who dresses all in black, and is a bit of a loner, so, they were probably already watching me carefully... but they called me into the office and I was met by the VP and the two campus cops, and they asked if I'd mind if the VP went through my back pack. I figured I had no real say in the manner so I handed it over, and he went through everything. From notebooks, to sketchpads, to ccg decks in car boxes...

...:smalleek:
What kind of school are you going to???

Darius1020
2009-10-27, 10:42 AM
wow, this topic devolved into a social commentary pretty quickly,

anyway, i would like to go as Elan or Hinjo or someone, but i don't know anyone who would get who i was...

Loxagn
2009-10-27, 10:47 AM
...:smalleek:

I'd imagine the same kind of school that freaks the fleck out over finding a Death Note in a kid's bag.

Aenir
2009-10-27, 10:48 AM
If i went out for halloween, I would love to go out as the MitD

Grab an umbrella, get some black curtain or stuff around it and cut out eye holes :)

Brendan
2009-10-27, 10:52 AM
I am going as durkon, using a meat tenderizer as his hammer, a duct tape covered coat for the armor, a tin foil covered foam shield, a bald hat, a latin award for the holy symbol, and a fake beard. The tough part will be fitting the newly acquired candy through the beard.

Gullara
2009-10-27, 10:59 AM
got any teachers nerdy enough to know the "explosive runes" joke?

That wouldn't be a problem for me as I live in a small town in Canada.

Asta Kask
2009-10-27, 11:04 AM
You just won this thread.

Oooh! Can I take it home and keep it?

BatRobin
2009-10-27, 02:00 PM
If I had the right items (and the stones), I'd be V. Since there's a bunch of girls (not the brightest, but they know some things.) who laugh at every 'non-normal' word I say in one class, I'd just go on a massive rant all day in that class. XD

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 02:11 PM
...I actually think my physics teacher would get the reference. Not gonna try it though.

That sounds like a pretty awesome teacher. Anyway, I'll be going as king Leonidas this year as I've said in many threads, so no I won't be dressing up as any OotS characters.

Trai
2009-10-27, 02:15 PM
I've seriously considered going as Haley to Comic Con in NYC next year. I have red hair (dyed, but whatever), so I figure that with a brown tank top, leggings, and a scrunchie, I could pull off her old look. (Not a fan of the 'new' Haley!)

If only I had a guy to be my Elan. *is sad*

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 02:19 PM
I've seriously considered going as Haley to Comic Con in NYC next year. I have red hair (dyed, but whatever), so I figure that with a brown tank top, leggings, and a scrunchie, I could pull off her old look. (Not a fan of the 'new' Haley!)

Nor am I. Man, I thought I was the only one that didn't like her new look.

Trai
2009-10-27, 02:23 PM
Nor am I. Man, I thought I was the only one that didn't like her new look.

Yeah, I don't know, I'm not a fan of the short, boyish haircut? I always really liked the ponytail, and the few times where she's been drawn with her hair down have been pretty. Crystal cutting her hair was a Big No moment for me.

BatRobin
2009-10-27, 02:27 PM
That sounds like a pretty awesome teacher. Anyway, I'll be going as king Leonidas this year as I've said in many threads, so no I won't be dressing up as any OotS characters.

L for Leonidas?

Menas
2009-10-27, 03:00 PM
Before I started reading this thread I was thinking I might dress up as Roy or Elan. But now I'm thinking I'm going to dress up as a teen-ager who's joking about letting lions loose in his school.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I don't know, I'm not a fan of the short, boyish haircut? I always really liked the ponytail, and the few times where she's been drawn with her hair down have been pretty. Crystal cutting her hair was a Big No moment for me.

Her haircut doesn't bug me (granted I like the ponytail more). He new "armor" does. I know the joke Rich is trying to make with it, but I still don't like the whole woman's-armor-is-more-revealing-than-men's joke and how it's being continued for this long.

L for Leonidas?

No. V for Vaarsuvius worked because it sounds so close to V for Vendetta. L for Leonidas isn't clearly referencing anything.

Trai
2009-10-27, 03:56 PM
Her haircut doesn't bug me (granted I like the ponytail more). He new "armor" does. I know the joke Rich is trying to make with it, but I still don't like the whole woman's-armor-is-more-revealing-than-men's joke and how it's being continued for this long.

Yeah, not a fan of the new armor either. The brown seemed to work better with her skin tone and all; this new color scheme is odd.

Also, one of the more practical reasons for dressing up as old Haley (besides that I have the ponytail for it): you couldn't pay me to walk into Comic Con with that much of my, ah... assets exposed. :smallredface:

Meg
2009-10-27, 04:03 PM
Her haircut doesn't bug me (granted I like the ponytail more). He new "armor" does.

I like Haley's hair because I have a nigh-on identical hair cut, but I agree about the armor. I mean yes, they're in the desert, but still. :smallyuk:

Trai
2009-10-27, 04:07 PM
I like Haley's hair because I have a nigh-on identical hair cut, but I agree about the armor. I mean yes, they're in the desert, but still. :smallyuk:

Now that I think about it, besides the fact of leather probably not being the most comfortable thing in the world in the desert (sweat, anyone?), if it wasn't for Durkon's spell, Haley would probably be getting sunburned in an unfortunate area. Doesn't seem like a great fashion option in that climate.

waterpenguin43
2009-10-27, 05:26 PM
Hey!!! I'm being Elan too.
Neat.
Looks like :elan: has a lot of fans.

waterpenguin43
2009-10-27, 05:38 PM

I was wrong...

My principal would have said something along these lines:
"Excuse me, young man, I think I have to have a little chat with you, that was not very appropriate for our school. You are being a very bad rolemodel for the younger childern at our school. You are not being part of the school culture team...."
You start staring, bored to death, at your pencil.
"Surely I am more interesting then your pencil!!"
Your friend says:
"Come on, he was obviousl-
"Right now it's my turn to speak!!! Anyway, I had a friend who had a friend that was eaten by lions, and I'm sure she would be very upset if she heard you talking about lions like that. Now come to my office...."

Repeat x345471 and you have what would happen.

BatRobin
2009-10-27, 05:46 PM
I think I might be able to dress up as Elan, but my hair's waaay too dark, almost brown. And I need a brown belt. And a blue jacket of sorts.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 06:53 PM
Also, one of the more practical reasons for dressing up as old Haley (besides that I have the ponytail for it): you couldn't pay me to walk into Comic Con with that much of my, ah... assets exposed. :smallredface:

Hell, I'd go with that much skin exposed just if someone asked me. Like I said, I'm going as king Leonidas this Halloween. I'm basically wearing a cape and speedo. Last semester, I wore a chainmail bikini to a drag ball. My friends still use the photos to scare freshmen.

Prak
2009-10-27, 07:10 PM
That was years ago in a public high school.

Now I'm a community college student who is required to have three rather sharp knives with him each day for class.

Before I started reading this thread I was thinking I might dress up as Roy or Elan. But now I'm thinking I'm going to dress up as a teen-ager who's joking about letting lions loose in his school.
The outfit's simple enough, black cargo pants, black tshirt, and a kinda ratty, worn nightmare before christmas sweatshirt.

Bonus points for carrying a black backpack with a stuffed lion poking it's head out.

Meg
2009-10-27, 07:13 PM
Hell, I'd go with that much skin exposed just if someone asked me. Like I said, I'm going as king Leonidas this Halloween. I'm basically wearing a cape and speedo. Last semester, I wore a chainmail bikini to a drag ball. My friends still use the photos to scare freshmen.

Chainmail bikinis actually exist? :smalleek:

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 09:19 PM

You didn't know that?:smallconfused:

Asta Kask
2009-10-28, 03:44 AM

Oh, there are worse things out there. (http://nexus404.com/Blog/2007/02/22/chainmail-condom/) NSFW

Ertwin
2009-10-28, 04:06 AM
If i went out for halloween, I would love to go out as the MitD

Grab an umbrella, get some black curtain or stuff around it and cut out eye holes :)

I just might do that, I had previously been planning on dressing up as a L4D hunter

esmerelder
2009-10-28, 09:29 AM
Another old-school :haley: here! Hair is already ginger-blonde and about the right length, I have this brown suede top (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suede-Real-Leather-Chocolate-Brown-Top-Size-12-NEW_W0QQitemZ170352955843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWomen_ s_Clothing?hash=item27a9d3d1c3), and some awesome knee-high brown leather boots -- just need to find some trousers and a bow and arrows and I'll be all set. Am considering getting some Extra-Strong Mints and attaching them to the arrows for the full +5 Icy Burst effect...

*edited for linkfail!

Tass
2009-10-28, 10:20 AM
Oh, there are worse things out there. (http://nexus404.com/Blog/2007/02/22/chainmail-condom/) NSFW

Bah, I am sitting a work, I noticed the warning right after I clicked the link.

Mary Leathert
2009-10-28, 05:24 PM
I'm probably doing a V costume, not for Halloween, but for this one event next summer. There is just one thing that bugs me: What kind of shoes does V wear? There is no visual help in the comic, as no shoes are drawn, but I think barefootedness is out of the question. Mostly this boils down to asking opinions on what kinds of shoes I should use.

Grey Watcher
2009-10-28, 05:41 PM
I'm probably doing a V costume, not for Halloween, but for this one event next summer. There is just one thing that bugs me: What kind of shoes does V wear? There is no visual help in the comic, as no shoes are drawn, but I think barefootedness is out of the question. Mostly this boils down to asking opinions on what kinds of shoes I should use.

I always pictured sandals. Dunno why.

omglolnub
2009-10-28, 06:48 PM
I was considering going as Elan (though I would have to cut my hair or people would think I was Robert Plant), but I decided on Zombie John Lennon.

Speaking of NYCCC, I was pissed to have to turn down a free ticket this year <.<

Trai
2009-10-28, 08:16 PM
Speaking of NYCCC, I was pissed to have to turn down a free ticket this year <.<

Do a lot of people from the Playground attend NYCCC? I went this February, before I was into OotS, and I'm planning on going November of next year (I wasn't aware there was another one a couple of weeks ago). I'd love to meet some Playgrounders there (as a group?)!

Prak
2009-10-28, 08:50 PM
what the hell does NYCCC stand for?

RE: V's shoes: sandles sound about right, either that or supple red boots.

Trai
2009-10-28, 08:55 PM
what the hell does NYCCC stand for?

New York City ComicCon. :smallsmile:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2298/23/78/1378710262/n1378710262_30217051_9150.jpg

(Picture courtesy of moi.)

Prak
2009-10-28, 08:58 PM
wish I were in NY.

Trai
2009-10-28, 09:01 PM
wish I were in NY.

If you ever get a chance to go, it's a really fun time! You get to meet awesome people like this guy:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2298/23/78/1378710262/n1378710262_30217057_961.jpg

:smallwink: (Again, the picture is mine; it's not some random girl I've stolen from.)

omglolnub
2009-10-29, 07:21 PM
I doubt it's a huge Playgroundy thing (I would guess San Diego Comic Con is the more popular). I just had a friend who had an extra ticket and offered it to me the Friday before, though I had plans already because my band was looking to jam a day of rehearsal in before a gig that fell through (long story short, complete waste of a weekend).

Ah the advantages of going to the nerdiest highschool in the city.

esmerelder
2009-10-31, 10:08 PM
ZOMG! I just got back from my Hallowe'en party, where I won the costume contest by being :haley:! I'm so happy that I know enough people who are OOTS fans for that to happen that I just had to post and show off about it!

Whee!

*esmerelder who has had quite a lot of cider*

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-31, 10:12 PM
Congrats!

I had a halloween party planned for today but it got canceled. :smallfrown: I was going to tell a guy there that I liked him. (Double :smallfrown:) Instead I stayed home and studied for a Latin test on Monday. *Sighs*

esmerelder
2009-10-31, 10:22 PM
Awww, that sucks! :smallfrown: I'm sorry the party got cancelled, and hope you have a better time next year! *shares chocolate and sends good vibes for the test*

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-31, 10:23 PM
Thanks. :smallsmile: I'm really nervous about this test.

esmerelder
2009-10-31, 10:48 PM
Rar. Latin is horribly difficult to learn, but so worthwhile later on, whether you're trying to learn other European languages, or just showing off by knowing what all the spells mean in Harry Potter. :smallsmile:

Grey Watcher
2009-11-01, 12:42 AM
ZOMG! I just got back from my Hallowe'en party, where I won the costume contest by being :haley:! I'm so happy that I know enough people who are OOTS fans for that to happen that I just had to post and show off about it!

Whee!

*esmerelder who has had quite a lot of cider*

I was Elan, but no one got it. Also, I didn't end up getting a wig or a hat or anything, so I had my own brown hair instead of the blond. Ah well.

Prak
2009-11-01, 12:54 AM
Hey, I didn't have any plans today either.

So I made cake.

Lord Thurlvin
2009-11-02, 05:40 AM
I found perfect robes for being V (at Goodwill!), but I didn't have anything else to go with them. Oh well, there's always next year...

Thorin
2009-11-02, 09:10 AM
esmerelder, you should post a picture!

Zedd
2009-11-02, 10:31 AM
This might be a little too late for Halloween (we don't 'celebrate' Halloween here anyway), but for general cosplay regarding OotS characters:

WHY is Thog neglected?
Paint yourself Green
Make yourself a stick-and-cardboard axe (metallic paper glued to it so it shines)
Cardboard shoulder pads
Purple shirt
Boots
Use whatever rags as pants
Make yourself a giant fake tusk

This is bonus:
stain your shirt with icecream and carry an ice cream bucket around
replace boots with rocket rollerskates

This is an awesome cosplay right there.
Just remember to keep the lines coming!
Yaay, thog likes puppies.

Kaytara
2009-11-02, 11:04 AM
Gaaah, one of the few times I feel sorry I don't live in the USA. Halloween's barely celebrated here in Germany as it is, and it was seriously lame this year. Though it WAS pretty cold, you could at least make an effort.... I barely saw anyone wearing anything Halloweenish, and I'm not aware of any costume contests or anything cool like that. My celebration of Halloween consisted of going to the Irish pub at 9:15 with my best friend and two people she invited, where they proceeded to get drunk, and I proceeded to leave within the next hour, since I don't drink and it was unbearably loud and cramped in there. Joy. XD

Esmerelder, I totally second that request that you post a picture. :D