View Full Version : [4e] Thrallherd

NEO|Phyte
2009-10-26, 11:03 PM
Thrallherd
"I'm a Thrallherd saying something thrallherdy."

Prerequisite: Psion, Telepathy Focus

Blah blah fluff goes here.

Thrallherd Path Features

Thrallherd's Call (11th level): When you hit a minion with a psychic attack that deals damage, you can choose to dominate it until the end of your next turn instead of the normal Hit effect. Minions dominated in this fashion gain a bonus to damage equal to your charisma modifier. You can spend a minor action to extend the duration of this domination until the end of your next turn. If you are dominating more than one minion in this fashion, each one requires a seperate minor action. A dominated minion takes 1 damage when the dominate ends.

Thrallherd Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to make an attack with the psychic descriptor, all creatures you have dominated gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to your charisma modifier until the end of your next turn.

Paragon Power Points (11th level): You gain 2 additional power points.

Improved Call (16th level): Your Thrallherd's Call can affect one normal monster (but not an elite or solo) at a time in addition to minions.

Thrallherd Disciplines

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1923/deathurge.png

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1237/siezemind.png

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7880/superiordominate.png
(I'm aware of the errors in these, but the thingy I made them with has some dumbness, which I don't feel like dealing with currently.)

Finally got around to converting an old 3.5 character (Warforged Psion/Thrallherd) to 4e for a Heroic-tier game, and since everyone else in the game seems to be homebrewing Paragon Paths to better fit their dudes, I figured I'd do the same. The current incarnation has been DM approved, but I'm kinda interested in what other people think of my first attempt at 4e homebrew.

NEO|Phyte
2009-11-16, 01:06 PM
Posted the PP elsewhere, and it was suggested I make a ritual for longer-term thralls.

Enthrall
fluffy fluff fluff
Level: 16 Component Cost: 3600
Category: Binding Market Price: 9000
Time: 10 min Key Skill: Arcana
Duration: Special
Prerequisite: Thrallherd

You target a helpless creature of your level or lower. The creature must remain within an adjacent square of you for the time neccessary to perform the ritual. Once the ritual is complete, the creature is dominated by you. Using this ritual on an Elite or Solo incurs a -5 and -10 penalty on the respective Arcana checks, while a Minion provides a +5 bonus. Additionally, you take a cumulative -5 penalty to the Arcana check for each creature you already have under the effects of this ritual.
Your Arcana check determines how long the creature is affected by the ritual.

{table]Arcana Check Result|Duration
19 or lower|1 encounter
20-24 |1 day
25-29 |2 days
30-34 |3 days
35-39|4 days
40 or higher|5 days[/table]

Yakk
2009-11-16, 02:09 PM
Oh -- you daze a target with a psionic power doesn't mean the target has to have a psionic power. :)

Sieze Mind might be stronger than your Daily Attack power, depending on combos. I'd be tempted to make it "until the end of their next turn". Even then, it is a bit aggressive for a utility power.

Sir Homeslice
2009-11-18, 03:37 AM
Death Urge's flufftext should be "GO ON, DO IT YOU BUNDLE OF STICKS."

That aside, at a cursory glance I don't see anything too hideously wrong with this PP aside from the bit about dominating standards. Mayhap you require a move action to sustain it for them, or? I'm just throwing out ideas. Still seems playable and not completely broken, no sir. No sarcasm.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-18, 02:08 PM
The only problem I see with it is that the "dominated" effect is "supposed" to stay out of the PCs hands as much as possible, judging from Wizards' current releases. They don't give a domination effect until level 30 in one of the Epic Destinies, as far as I can remember, and that's only for one round, and it's a Daily! They seem to think that domination is uber-powerful, or something.

But I disagree with them, so your path is cool by me. :smallsmile:

I did find one that dominates undead! Soul Puppets!

NEO|Phyte
2009-11-19, 03:20 PM
The only problem I see with it is that the "dominated" effect is "supposed" to stay out of the PCs hands as much as possible, judging from Wizards' current releases. They don't give a domination effect until level 30 in one of the Epic Destinies, as far as I can remember, and that's only for one round, and it's a Daily! They seem to think that domination is uber-powerful, or something.

But I disagree with them, so your path is cool by me. :smallsmile:

I did find one that dominates undead! Soul Puppets!

Telepath psions get some Dominate effects, so this isn't giving players something new and shiny, it's just letting them focus on it beyond the odd daily power and the 'not dominate but I'm still making you hit people for me' at-wills.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-19, 04:35 PM
Telepath psions get some Dominate effects, so this isn't giving players something new and shiny, it's just letting them focus on it beyond the odd daily power and the 'not dominate but I'm still making you hit people for me' at-wills.

Nice, I suspected that they might get a few powers like that, but I haven't actually looked at them yet. I think I shall.

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-20, 03:51 PM
Thrallherd's Call seems broken. I would remove the auto-damage at the end of the domination effect, and make maintaining your domination a minor-action attack vs. Will.

Sir Homeslice
2009-11-20, 06:23 PM
Thrallherd's Call seems broken. I would remove the auto-damage at the end of the domination effect, and make maintaining your domination a minor-action attack vs. Will.

Doesn't seem broken at all to me. Instead of killing a minion, you get to dominate it, and dominated creatures are counted as enemies for your enemies, and are also dazed, meaning they grant CA. They still pop like balloons, and you're basically delaying their death which may or may not actually do much besides act as roadblocks.

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-20, 06:42 PM
No, it's not "instead of killing a minion".

It's "in addition to killing a minion".

Leaving the sustain minor thing aside completely, as well as several other possible uses, a psion with this paragon path gains a free charge attack with +4 to +6 damage every time they hit a minion in exchange for... nothing.

Sir Homeslice
2009-11-23, 07:48 PM
No, it's not "instead of killing a minion".

It's "in addition to killing a minion".

Leaving the sustain minor thing aside completely, as well as several other possible uses, a psion with this paragon path gains a free charge attack with +4 to +6 damage every time they hit a minion in exchange for... nothing.

In addition, instead of, same difference. Either way, you give up killing the minion NOW and get to jerk it around and have it attempt to beat things to death, whereupon it will later die anyways, where it may or may not have made any difference.