PDA

View Full Version : Fire Emblem Classic

Ozymandias
2009-10-27, 12:13 AM
I've just recently replayed the GBA Fire Emblem games I have (Fūin no Tsurugi, Rekka No Ken/Blazing Sword (The US "Fire Emblem), and Sacred Stones), and I sort of wanted some more, so I got the fan patch of Seisen No Kifu ("Genealogy of the Holy War") and played through that. I had a blast, although the ending chapters were sort of sadistic (8 range ten magic units with 50/50 durability weapons, where most of my units had 8-10 Res) and incredibly unbalanced (large cavalry regiments could land six-seven attacks on a stationary unit, so it becomes incredibly important to check movement ranges, which are uniformly huge (8 is common, up to 13 is possible I think), dancers are extremely powerful, Holsety and Balmung are broken, etc.)

I recently started Thracia 776. The fan patch isn't quite as good - dialogue is okay so far, but shops/item descriptions aren't. It's pretty fun, too, although item management is a pain and you get way too many axes and not enough lances early game, as well as no healer for three chapters. I'm sort of worried about fatigue, too, but I think I'll be okay.

So, reminisces? Suggestions? Would anyone recommend trying out Fire Emblem/Gaiden? I started Shadow Dragon but found the graphics to be worse than sacred stones, and I really, really miss having save states.:smallfrown: (I am an unabashed cheater when level ups are random and spend an inordinate amount of time to get an Erk with maxed Mag/Skl/Spd).

Also, are the GC/Wii games worth it? I remember trying one but losing interest after a few chapters.

Mando Knight
2009-10-27, 12:04 PM
Radiant Dawn is the only one out of GC/Wii pair that has mid-battle saves. And even then, that's only on the lower two difficulty settings. And it tries to approach Genealogy of the Holy War in difficulty. :smallamused:

Also, see thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124408).