PDA

View Full Version : I feel naked.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 02:21 AM
No. not that kind of naked :smalltongue:

My chin feels naked.

So. I shaved off the goatie i've had for 5 years :smalleek:. It was multiple colors (naturally) and was long (ish) and awesome. I was okay with shaving it off the other day. but now i keep reaching to do my supervillain stroke goatie pose and its not their :smalleek:

My chin feels naked, my normal comments on my likeness to Will Turner or Jack Sparrow or other pirate-y figures is not there any longer.. plus its getting colder and thusly my naked chin is starting to feel the cold night air.. not that i mind.

I'm not sure I like this change, but since i have long hair, and finding a job in todays market has been tough enough, I don't think the added goatie helped any. Plus it was looking a bit rough and I needed to look sharp for social gathering. Chin feels naked.

/random announcement.

Anyone else had similar situations. You make a change in appearance...somewhat minor.. and it consumes your thoughts for a few days realizing how much you miss it?
-Wrath

Innis Cabal
2009-10-27, 02:23 AM
I hate trimming my soul patch. I go to tug on it and grab chin. Really annoying.

Rutskarn
2009-10-27, 02:26 AM
Cry me a friggin' river, says the man with the absurdly smooth chin. Cry me a river fast and deep.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 02:28 AM
Cry me a friggin' river, says the man with the absurdly smooth chin. Cry me a river fast and deep.

haha. Not sad. Just freaked out.

All in all, goaties are not as fun as people think. Mine was used as a leash more often than childrens ears :smalleek:

-Wrath

arguskos
2009-10-27, 02:30 AM
haha. Not sad. Just freaked out.

All in all, goaties are not as fun as people think. Mine was used as a leash more often than childrens ears :smalleek:

-Wrath
I'd DIE without my beard. I tried shaving it off a few times, made me feel naked, scared, and unsure of myself. I gave up eventually.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 02:35 AM
I'd DIE without my beard. I tried shaving it off a few times, made me feel naked, scared, and unsure of myself. I gave up eventually.

for me its my ponytail. I look really dumb with short hair. 4->8th grade. I looked like a frog eared harry potter nerd with a bowl cut hair style.

Now I'm still a nerd, but look far better than i did. more pirate-y ^.^

with the beard.. i'm sad i had to get rid of it. but it grows back in a week.. noticeably. not like.. fuzzle or stubble... like serious growing back. o.o. Its my useless x-man power.

-Wrath

arguskos
2009-10-27, 02:40 AM
Ok, let me show you WHY I keep the beard.

Me about a half year ago (I look the same now)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/0104091712_0001.jpg

Me about two years ago (still looks basically the same; ignore the stupid look, I am BAD in pictures >_<)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/Photo42.jpg

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 02:40 AM
mmm, I feel a bit cold without my beard. But I'm kind of used to getting a metric ton of **** if I go clean shaven so there's no real incentive for me to get rid of it unless something demands it.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-27, 02:54 AM
Ok, let me show you WHY I keep the beard.

Me about a half year ago (I look the same now)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/0104091712_0001.jpg

Me about two years ago (still looks basically the same; ignore the stupid look, I am BAD in pictures >_<)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/Photo42.jpg

Honestly its not that bad, but I do like beard better.

mmm, I feel a bit cold without my beard. But I'm kind of used to getting a metric ton of **** if I go clean shaven so there's no real incentive for me to get rid of it unless something demands it.

Yes. I feel the same. but social event + job hunt demands it..therefore..I lost the wicked sick goatie. I only wish it was a little longer and i could make a braid.

-Wrath

thubby
2009-10-27, 04:41 AM
i get much the same way after trimming. i always feel lopsided despite my eyes telling me otherwise.

I'm told i look rather handsome clean shaven, but it grows back so fast it borders on absurd.

KuReshtin
2009-10-27, 05:28 AM
I'm thinking of going the other way. Kind of trying to see what I'd lok like in some sort of beard-type style.
My problem is that I can't get it to grow. I mean, last time I shaved was about 3 weeks ago, and I don't seem to get anywhere with the beard.
Maybe I'm just too impatient, but it seems as if I'd just be better off shaving it off again and stop entertaining the notion of me trying for a beard.

truemane
2009-10-27, 05:31 AM
The last time I shaved my face all the way down (I usually go with the ghoatee/chin-strap combo) I woke up to see my (then) five year-old staring at me over the side of the bed, looking rather studious.

He says "Daddy what happen-your face?" He said just like that. Like 'happen-your' was all one word.

I say, "I shaved my beard."

He responds, with total seriousness: "You're not my real Daddy." And then he pauses and asks, "When it comes back?"

I say, "About a month."

He gives this answer the weighty consideration it deserves and then nods. "Okay. Then you'll be my Daddy." And ran off to play.

And true to form, one day, about a month later, we're hanging out playing Zelda, and he looks at me and adopts a serious expression and nods and says, "Now you're my real Daddy."

I've left the facial hair on since then. I don't want to traumatize my poor spawn any more than having me for a father already has.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-27, 06:01 AM
My dad has had a beard as long as I can remember. So has his dad. I'm following the trend here, with a full and manly beard that is never coming off. Ever.

It suits me, too.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-27, 06:15 AM
I can't remember my dad without a mustache, yeah, he's had one since he was 18 orso, me thinks.

Hmm, letting facial hair grow would increase my manly-ness....

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-27, 06:53 AM
I just had my hair cut down to fuzzy and shaved off my beard last week, then got some nasty sunburn on the face/neck over the weekend because I forgot that I had extra exposed skin, so yes, that's consumed some thought for a few days.

Anuan
2009-10-27, 06:55 AM
The first time I grew my hair really long, its next cut was an 8 gauge buzz.
Every time I moved my head I wanted to cry.

Weimann
2009-10-27, 07:11 AM
The last time I shaved my face all the way down (I usually go with the ghoatee/chin-strap combo) I woke up to see my (then) five year-old staring at me over the side of the bed, looking rather studious.

He says "Daddy what happen-your face?" He said just like that. Like 'happen-your' was all one word.

He responds, with total seriousness: "You're not my real Daddy." And then he pauses and asks, "When it comes back?"

I say, "About a month."

He gives this answer the weighty consideration it deserves and then nods. "Okay. Then you'll be my Daddy." And ran off to play.

And true to form, one day, about a month later, we're hanging out playing Zelda, and he looks at me and adopts a serious expression and nods and says, "Now you're my real Daddy."

I've left the facial hair on since then. I don't want to traumatize my poor spawn any more than having me for a father already has.Your children wins at cuteness.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and beards are cool.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-27, 07:36 AM
I was freaked for a bit when I chopped off my long hair (like 15 inches) for a pixie cut 4 years ago.
I'm always a bit shocked when I first see that someone who has always had facial hair has shaved it off. Sometimes it just makes their face look weird for a while.

smellie_hippie
2009-10-27, 07:43 AM
I have not been clean shaven for at least the past 10 years. I have a ritual involved with facial hair and the changing of the seasons.

Spring and Summer, I shave down to a goatee. :smallcool:

Fall and Winter, time to grow out the full beard. :smallamused:

I made it about 4 months of letting the beard grow rampantly into the beginnings of a "Mountain Man"... but this sadly affected the amount of romantic attention I got from a certain Mountain Faerie... :smallfrown:

Sipex
2009-10-27, 07:55 AM
I've been off again on again growing my goatee and shaving it off for the past six years. I'm trying to get it to grow to a point where it looks thick and reasonable instead of scraggly.

I think I've finally got it to that point now.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-27, 08:03 AM

I say, "About a month."

I've left the facial hair on since then. I don't want to traumatize my poor spawn any more than having me for a father already has.

My dad doesn't have a beard anymore, but when I was a kid, he did. And, apparantly, I did something similar to your child.
Except I went screaming to the stairs, crying, proclaiming he wasn't my daddy.
>>

Maybe that's why I find beards attractive now.

thubby
2009-10-27, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking of going the other way. Kind of trying to see what I'd lok like in some sort of beard-type style.
My problem is that I can't get it to grow. I mean, last time I shaved was about 3 weeks ago, and I don't seem to get anywhere with the beard.
Maybe I'm just too impatient, but it seems as if I'd just be better off shaving it off again and stop entertaining the notion of me trying for a beard.

depends on how old you are, mine didn't really come in as anything worthy of beard-dom until after i entered college.

Trog
2009-10-27, 08:44 AM
I have had some form of facial hair for the past several years or so. I change it now and then but mostly I go through the usual hated cycle of growing it out and chopping it down to nearly nothing to let it grow back properly again. Which is sort of necessary to keep things trimmed evenly on both sides I have found over the years.

Also, if you think shaving off your facial hair is a weird feeling try shaving your head sometime. :smallamused:

@v Well I wasn't born bald. :smalltongue: And no, no curls. I did have thick wavy hair once upon a time though. I hated it. This arrangement is much more agreeable.

Anuan
2009-10-27, 08:56 AM
...Isn't Trog usually bald in any case?
...*Imagines the last image of Trog he saw but with thick ringlets and curls* O_O;

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-27, 10:03 AM
i demand before and after photos!

Anuan
2009-10-27, 10:07 AM
Gonna have to second the call for wavy-haired Trog photos, especially if you still had the beard back then...I'm sure the thick wavy hair detracted from the Manliest of All Men look you've got going on now :smalltongue:

Trog
2009-10-27, 10:28 AM
:smallsigh: Oh very well. I had to go dig this up though. You always need something right after you throw it away it seems... mumble grumble...

Then (circa 1991):
http://home.centurytel.net/jeffsjunk/OldMe.jpg
Now:
http://home.centurytel.net/jeffsjunk/me_bw.jpg
As you can see I've switched to black and white since then. Ah the good old days of being in color.
Anyhow you really feel naked after shaving your head for the first time - especially on the top of the neck area. You get used to it pretty quickly. Except winter. When my long haired friends begin complaining how cold it is my knee jerk response is "try shaving your head and then talk to me about cold." :smalltongue:

Syka
2009-10-27, 10:31 AM
Oz needs his goatee. Needs it. Otherwise, people think he's about 6-8 years younger than he is and I'd probably get slapped with stautory rape. :smallwink: People already think I'm older than he is, the goatee is the only thing keeping his age above 18, haha (yes, he's got a baby face). I'm certain any children we spawn will never know him without facial hair. He'd go for a full beard but it won't grow in enough, and he'd go for just a mustache but he can't get it awesome enough. It takes a while for him to need to shave, too. He just doesn't grow facial hair easy, but it comes in soft (yay me!).

Good luck with the lack of facial hair. Any major change is weird, which is why I cut my hair (longest: butt length) in stages (up to chin length, over a period of about 2 years in 6 month intervals, lol).

Eldritch Knight
2009-10-27, 10:35 AM
I tend to keep my goatee despite the woman in my life having a dislike for it. This is primarily because I've noticed a difference in the way people interact with me when I have it, and when I don't. Namely, I'm treated on a different intellectual level. People seem to think I'm less intelligent when I'm clean shaven.

Of course, the most disturbing thing was discovering that my father used to have a Fu Manchu moustache... I saw the photo. I can't unsee it.

Trog
2009-10-27, 10:37 AM
People seem to think I'm less intelligent when I'm clean shaven.
... How does that work? :smallconfused:

Valencia
2009-10-27, 10:42 AM
I felt that way when I took off a foot of my hair in December last year. My hair went from my mid-back to right on my shoulders. It looked nice when the stylist did it up but then the next day... I started hating how short it was.

At the moment I'm still growing it back. My poor ponytail still hasn't hit the bottoms of my shoulder-blades yet. SO SAD does it make me.

Fostire
2009-10-27, 11:09 AM

I say, "About a month."

I did something like that.
When I was a newborn baby, my father shaved his full grown beard down to his usual mustache. The next time he tried holding me, I started crying because I didn't recognize him.
So he grew his beard back and once it was full grown he took me with him, so that I saw him shave and could see that it was the same person.

I'm always a bit shocked when I first see that someone who has always had facial hair has shaved it off. Sometimes it just makes their face look weird for a while.
That happens to me when people get a haircut; they just look odd for a while.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-27, 11:17 AM
I would never miss my lower facial hair(not least of which is because I lack most of it), but back in late-2003, going from long hair since early-2001(almost 3 years of growth, 2 years and 9 months in fact, and down to my lower back), to totally bald(shaved, cut myself a little), I almost fainted. Of course, that could also have been because I felt totally cold, and absolutely dizzy with the sudden loss of mass. My hair's never been kept that long again, although it's also never gone shorter than a number 2 all over since.

KuReshtin
2009-10-27, 11:23 AM
depends on how old you are.

I'm 34... :smalleek:

I think I'm going to have to get something thought out before too long, though. I've got a wedding reception to go to in November, so I have to decide if I am going to keep growing the beard or shave it off again before that.

Keshay
2009-10-27, 11:32 AM
Through High School and the first 2 years of college I kept my hair long. Mid-back length, I loved it. Then I made the worst mistake concerning self-image I'd ever made and cut it off (yes, at the behest of a lady friend). I have no idea who was looking back at me through the mirror for the past decade, but it was not me. Finally, fate took long enough off so as not to require me to have a "respectable" haircut so I've been able to grow it back out to the tops of my shoulders so far.

I've periodically shaved my goatee/beard. Its just too cold to keep off, and it feels weird, and itchy, and the hairs on my chin are not as accustomed to being shaved so it always looks like a crime scene

(Sadly, I still have no idea who the long-haired fat man looking out through the mirror is...)

RS14
2009-10-27, 12:50 PM
Wow, this is relevant.

I had a full beard for a little more than a year, during which I didn't even trim it. Nobody here at college had seen me without one. Last Friday, though, I shaved it all off, leaving just sideburns.

It's pretty weird. Not too weird; at this point it only surprises me if I see my reflection.

Adlan
2009-10-27, 01:04 PM
I grew a Beard over the Summer, It was Fun, shaved it down to a tache and goatee, was just getting long enough to curl the tache and fork the beard, when I went back to my military unit. Without the beard the tache kinda sucked, so I went clean shaven.

It's kinda annoying, beards itch much less than stubble.

Pyrian
2009-10-27, 01:19 PM
I shaved my goatee and started sying my hair because I was sick of people mistaking me for 50+. I may be a dirty old man, but I'm not a geezer yet, dangit! :smalltongue:

Erothayce
2009-10-27, 07:46 PM
I felt naked and terrible when I had to shave the mustache I've had since I was 14. I had that thing for 5 years and it was a part of me. Now the only reason i'm staying clean shaven is because the little lady likes it. I'm thinking of doing a goatee though. Wouldn't take long seeing as I can shave in the morning and have some nice stubble by day's end.

RandomNPC
2009-10-27, 09:42 PM
three years ago i cut off a foot and a half of ponytail so i could work in a machine shop. I still try to grab it sometimes.

I've got a friend who lost a job because of the clean shaven rule. He would get ready in the morning, shave, hop in the car, and go to work. by the end of an 8 hour shift he would get written up for not having a clean face.

I want a beard, maybe I'll get one to grow in, seeing as next month is No Shave November (NSN)

Anuan
2009-10-27, 09:59 PM
That's called Movember here. As in Moustache :P

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 10:33 PM
I shaved my goatee and started sying my hair because I was sick of people mistaking me for 50+. I may be a dirty old man, but I'm not a geezer yet, dangit! :smalltongue:

I approve of the dye, no comment since I've never seen Pyrian Goatee.

My dad grew his beard out once he hit enough management to be able to wear a beard at Lockheed or Martin or whichever it was at the time. Mostly because when I was born I stressed out both of my parents enough that they started putting on rapid weight gain and then their thyroids konked out about 5-8 years later.

Having children is really tough on a body. :smalleek:

The Extinguisher
2009-10-27, 10:46 PM
I'm participating in a no shaving event in November. Should be...interesting. Considering the last time I had any facial hair of note, was forever ago.

And I don't shave often D:

tribble
2009-10-28, 02:11 PM
N
My chin feels naked, my normal comments on my likeness to Will Turner or Jack Sparrow or other pirate-y figures is not there any longer.. plus its getting colder and thusly my naked chin is starting to feel the cold night air.. not that i mind.

-Wrath

My dad finds going clean-shaven to be warmer, because when he has a beard his breath condenses and freezes in it. so you may find your opinion may change as it gets really cold.
I'm gonna be snowed into my high school.:smalleek: