PDA

View Full Version : MkVI Mjolnir (and other superpowered armors)

imp_fireball
2009-10-27, 02:38 AM
MkVI Mjolnir [artifact]
Value: Unestimated

MkVI Mjolnir is a suit of +5 adamantine breastplate armor with the addition of leggings, gauntlets, a helmet and a sealed atmosphere. Because of the gauntlets, the suit now deals lethal damage x4 unarmed damage die due to its 'energized' physical properties. It is normally sized for medium humanoid characters. It takes twice as long to don as a regular breastplate.

Prerequisites: MkVI Mjolnir requires CON 16 and STR 20, or the wearer to have the spartan template. If the wearer does not meet these requirements they must make DC 30 FORT save or suffer 5d4 bludgeoning damage each round that they continue wearing the suit.

Energy Field: MkIV Mjolnir offers 30 temporary hit points that recover fully after two rounds that the user does not suffer lethal or non-lethal damage. Each round that the user is unaffected thusly regenerates 15hp until the full 30 temporary hit points is achieved once more. The temporary hit points apply in the form of a force field that cannot be bypassed, which repels even touch attacks. Touch attacks ultimately only apply against the shield and not the wearer unless all 30 hit points are depleted.

Ability Boosts: MkIV Mjolnir offers +12 STR and doubles the wearer's reflex saves.

Focused Lens: The suit's visor offers the ability to 'zoom in' on whatever the wearer perceives. If the wearer uses a move action to make a spot check, they receive a +4 to this check.

Sealed Environs: The suit provides the wearer with the ability to survive in environments of up to 500/-100 degrees celsius and its contained atmosphere provides air for up to an hour, after which the wearer must hold their breath in order to fight suffocation.

Weapon Magnets: Special magnets on MkVI Mjolnir allow the wearer to hold one weapon of any size up to large in reserve upon the suit's back, or up to two one handed/light weapons at the waist. Drawing these weapons becomes a free action as 'quick draw' instead of the usual move action. Sleight of hand checks cannot apply to this method of drawing a weapon, however.

Motion Detector: The motion detector provided on the suit's heads up display offers awareness of approaching enemies as 'tremor sense'.
-------

Chozo Power Suit [artifact]

Chozo Power Suit, fashioned by a space faring race of birds known as the 'chozo', is effectively a +5 suit of mithril full plate armor, with the addition of a sealed environment. It is normally sized for medium humanoid characters.

Sealed Environs: The suit provides the wearer with the ability to survive in environments of up to 10,000/-200 degrees celsius and its contained atmosphere provides air for up to eight months, after which the wearer must hold their breath in order to fight suffocation.

Arm Cannon: This gun is grafted to the suit and can be wielded by the wearer as if they were proficient in its use and used in the wearer's main hand. The gun itself does not remove the use of a hand, and can disassemble/assemble upon the wearer's arm as a free action. The gun itself initially only fires 2d8 balls of energy/attack/round that do 1d4 fire damage each, although, assuming the suit can acquire the necessary data, the gun can assemble itself to fire as other weapon types as well as a swift action. All weapons have a range of 200ft. 'Rapid shot' and feats like it only allow firing 6 shots for every consecutive attack with the power beam.

Charge Beam: If the wearer sacrifices a full action to fire once, they can shoot a single blast that deals 12d4 fire damage. Although the charge beam is a weapon unique from the default power beam, it does not require the arm cannon to reconfigure itself and thus no swift action is needed for this. The suit still needs knowledge of its data to use this weapon, however.

Long Beam: The Long Beam isn't a different weapon. Rather, it is an upgrade to all other beams that applies as the 'far shot' feat. 'Far shot' stacks with this upgrade.

Wide Beam: An upgrade similar to the Long Beam, the Wide Beam affects a 10x5ft. space. Any creature caught within this space is the AC that the wearer rolls against upon making an attack. The wearer can hit more targets in this way.

Spazer Beam: This upgrade assists the wearer in hitting enemies by projecting itself in multiple areas in time/space, granting a +6 to attacks. However, without the assistance of other upgrades, it can only damage one enemy per shot.

Wave Beam: This weapon allows the wearer to ignore cover with her shots, assuming they reconfigure the arm cannon to use it. It is slower than the power beam, firing only one shot/attack but allowing attacks to become move actions. If the wearer spends a swift action 'locking on' to a target (must be in line of sight and effect!), then they may take 10 on attacks with the weapon. The wave beam deals 2d8 electrical damage per shot.

Ice Beam: This weapon, which fires one shot/attack, deals 1d12 cold damage and forces the target to make a FORT save equal to the wearer's attack roll or become frozen solid. Frozen enemies have the same amount of hp they had in life except that they have hardness equivalent to ice, and when reduced to 0, they 'shatter' and are instantly killed. Enemies frozen solid are helpless. This can be cured by 2d4 hours treatment in a very warm environment such as over a fire (a cozy inn isn't hot enough). Fire spells will also melt the ice over 1d8 rounds but affect the victim as they normally do. Spells such as 'heal' and 'remove disease' do not work, while 'miracle' and 'limited wish/wish' do.

Plasma Beam: The Plasma Beam is a weapon that deals 8d12 fire/electrical damage in a 5ft. thick line up to the weapon's range (200ft.). It provokes a reflex save of DC equal to the wearer's attack roll to all within the line of effect. It fires one shot/attack.

Hyper Beam: The Hyper Beam is a deadly weapon that deals 20d12 epic/force damage. It fires one shot/attack.

Grappling Beam: The Grappling Beam isn't a weapon, so much as a tool. When the arm cannon is configured in this way, the wearer can make a touch attack upon anything inanimate and pull themselves towards it. They may also swing, using the inanimate object that they have fired the beam at to get somewhere else (usually a distance equivalent to the object's elevation to them, assuming it is positioned correctly - anything further requires a use rope check that works as a jump check with a running jump as the beam detaches from the object and the user relies on momentum to carry themselves to their destination). The grapple beam's full length is 200ft., enhanceable by the Long Beam. Using the beam requires no use rope, climb, or tumble checks, however swinging can provoke attacks of opportunity as normal.

Energy Field The Chozo Power Suit provides 100 temporary hit points for every 'energy tank' upgrade the suit has acquired. Depending on the GM, upgrades can be bought or found. The temporary hit points do not regenerate, however they can be recharged by some external means at GM discretion (usually by way of a space age 'save station', whatever that is). Because the temporary hit points are provided in the form of an energy field, only the field can be affected by touch attacks and not the wearer unless the temporary hit points are reduced to zero.

Skill Boosts: The suit provides a +20 equipment bonus to jump and tumble checks. Additionally, it can be upgraded to allow for a 'double jump', which grants the ability to perform one additional jump mid air, automatically applying a running start if the running start was applied to the first jump.

Screw Attack Mode: The suit can be upgraded to allow its energy field to overcharge itself and deal electrical 4d6 electrical damage to adjacent enemies while in mid air. Additionally, it allows flight with poor maneuverability during which it is active, which it may remain so for up to 5 rounds. Activating this ability on the suit is a move action and no other action may be taken during the time that it is active (other than flight).

HUD: The suit's HUD provides a few visors, beyond the default normal vision, for enhanced viewing. Switching visors is an immediate action.

Scan Visor: If the wearer doesn't recognize a certain target by sight, they can take a standard action to scan it. The GM will then have to fill in the player on any information about the creature or object that falls within the bardic lore 15-20 roll range.

X-Ray Visor: Creatures and objects can be seen through walls but the wearer takes a -2 penalty to spot and search checks. Invisible and ethereal beings can also be seen as 'true seeing'.

Thermal Visor: Creatures that emit heat have a +4 to spot and can be seen when invisible, but objects and creatures that don't emit heat have a -4 penalty to spot and search checks.

Dark Visor: The presence of magic or psychic energy can be seen as well as ethereal beings. This doesn't tell the wearer what the magic or psychic energy/ethereal beings is/are though.

Echo Visor: The wearer can see sound, thus granting a +8 to listen checks involving sound that originates within line of sight of the wearer.

Run Boost: The suit offers run speed x6 (or x7 with run feat). With the Sprinting upgrade, this run speed increases to x12 (or x15 with run feat).

Morph Ball: As a move action, the wearer can transform into a size tiny sphere, while their body is conserved in space time. The ball has hp equivalent to however much temporary hp the suit's energy shields provide. Removing all of this hp destroys the ball, instantly obliterating (and killing) the wearer. The ball itself has a move speed of 2/3 that of the humanoid wearer and the wearer cannot run in this form. Because the wearer is a ball, they cannot perform any skill checks, strength checks, or anything that would be allowed in their humanoid self. The ball can lay bombs as an immediate action that becomes an attack action on consecutive drops. The bombs explode in 10x10ft. area at the end of the wearer's turn, dealing 2d12 bludgeoning damage each. If the wearer is within the explosion area (this does not damage them), they can make a jump check of 20, which can be done consecutively if they land in separate explosion areas (multiple bombs exploding in the same area creates one explosion area). Jumping in this way does not cost any move action.

Spider Ball: The spider ball upgrade allows the morph ball to magnetize itself and climb metallic railings without the need of a climb check as 'spider climb'.

Spring Ball: With the spring ball, the wearer can make jump checks in morph ball mode without the need of laying bombs, however running jumps cannot be made.

Boost Ball: The boost ball grants the morph the ability to run at x4 speed (the run feat does not increase this). Assuming a suitable ramp is provided, running jump checks can be made assuming the wearer moves off the ramp.
-------

So, comments? Criticism?

Latronis
2009-10-27, 02:51 AM
No initiative boost for Mjolnir armour?

Nostri
2009-10-27, 03:47 AM
MkVI Mjolnir [artifact]

MkVI Mjolnir is a suit of +3 adamantine breastplate armor with the addition of leggings, gauntlets, a helmet *snip*

So I have a slight quarrel with this (though it is only the flavor text I suppose) but wouldn't the addition of the leggings, gauntlets and helmet make the breastplate full plate armor by default? At least as far as D&D is concerned a breastplate is a back and breast plate with a helmet depending on which edition your talking about. Where as full plate is the set of armor that covers you head to toe in steel which it seems is the effect you're going for.

I like everything else though. Seem like a decent pair of artifact level suits of armor. Oh one other thing, are they minor or greater artifacts? I can't seem to find anything in either write up that indicates this.

Ouranos
2009-10-27, 08:50 AM
Halo 2/3 Master Chief armor and then Metroid. Nice. I would say, artifact requires +5 for the Mjolnir. And Nostri is right, full body covering is full plate. being artifact if you don't want it to interfere with max dex, just enhance it as such :D

DracoDei
2009-10-27, 09:22 AM
The +12 STR bonus on the Mjolnir puts it in Greater artifact territory technically, and I think it has enough other special abilities to warrant it.

and its contained atmosphere provides air for up to eight months, after which the wearer must hold their breath in order to fight suffocation.This gave me a giggle.

The hardness of Ice is 0.

Someone did a much longer and more through write up of the Chozo suit a while back...

imp_fireball
2009-10-27, 11:08 AM
I like everything else though. Seem like a decent pair of artifact level suits of armor. Oh one other thing, are they minor or greater artifacts? I can't seem to find anything in either write up that indicates this.

I don't know what makes an artifact 'minor' or 'greater'.

wouldn't the addition of the leggings, gauntlets and helmet make the breastplate full plate armor by default?

Well full plate actually includes other things like an inner layer of chain protection, a skirt, etc. Also, adamantine full plate gives DR 3/adamantine, which is just a little too much for mjolnir (you die really fast without shields in-game; the same goes for the master chief, a mid-level spartan fighter type).

Also... kinda lame that a greater artifact has to be +5, imo (all the other abilities should warrant it anyway).

Ouranos
2009-10-27, 03:55 PM
Well, while the metal is very VERY strong, it doesn't seem to hamper his weight in any way, and he does take damage easily without the shield, I'd make it a green-dyed mithril plate instead.

imp_fireball
2009-10-27, 03:58 PM
Well, while the metal is very VERY strong, it doesn't seem to hamper his weight in any way, and he does take damage easily without the shield, I'd make it a green-dyed mithril plate instead.

The adamantine quality is based on the lore though... in the books they said that mjolnir had a 'diamond weave' and I always considered adamantine to be D&D's answer to diamond.

Ouranos
2009-10-27, 09:01 PM
I say homebrew a metal :p It IS an artifact after all, it doesn't have to play by the normal rules :D

imp_fireball
2009-10-27, 09:26 PM
I'm too uncreative, so I'll just say diamond weave = adamantine. The end. :smalltongue:

Hence why I made it adamantine breastplate. It's effectively a breastplate even though it covers everything (so in reality, it's not a breastplate). Fluff ain't mechanics.

Someone did a much longer and more through write up of the Chozo suit a while back...

Do you have a link? Did they include the other suits (with their slight variations which seem more like upgrades)?

DracoDei
2009-10-27, 10:01 PM
Link to pre-existing work (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36617)

And yes, it includes several other suits.

imp_fireball
2009-10-27, 11:23 PM
That succeeds on so many levels (resolving item slots, the guns I left out and walking on water) except for the fact that it forgets force fields and visors. :smallcool:

I'll modify this later when I have time.

Perhaps a perfect samus conversion may be possible in the near future from this information.

DracoDei
2009-10-27, 11:34 PM
It has the X-ray visor and a few others I think... and I wasn't aware her suits had force-fields involved... the energy tanks are modeled on Heal if that is what you are thinking...